PDA

View Full Version : Cutting McCoy?

swiper
02-26-2017, 11:42 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/26/lesean-mccoy-buffalo-was-so-special-tweet-isnt-a-farewell/

After explaining how this TWEET was misinterpreted, this article goes on to suggest the Bills may cut McCoy b/c he costs too much. He is the only star on the team. How would you feel if they cut McCoy and kept Taylor (and his contract)?

McCoy has a salary of $6 million and a cap number of $8.875 million in 2017. Those numbers have sparked speculation that the next coaching staff may decide to move on from him. Cutting him would result in a cap charge of $7.875 million; that amount could be spread over two years with a post-June 1 release.

Two years ago, the Eagles decided to move on from McCoy, ostensibly because his east-west style didn’t mesh with Chip Kelly’s one-cut zone running scheme. New offensive coordinator Rick Dennison uses a system that employs one-cut zone running. (Last year, McCoy thrived once Anthony Lynn became the offensive coordinator, installing running plays that gave McCoy options to hit an inside hole or bounce outside.)

So while Sunday’s tweet isn’t a goodbye, there’s still a chance that farewell is coming. If it happens, plenty of other teams will be line up to give McCoy an enthusiastic hello.

swiper
02-26-2017, 11:45 AM
If the Bills learned one thing from Anthony Lynn it should be they have to adapt to what opens up holes best for McCoy. Don't go back to trying to pound square pegs into round holes (as this article suggests they may do).

Night Train
02-26-2017, 11:46 AM
Cut our best player. Awesome. When playing, the guy lays out to the max.

Connecting dots also works in psychiatric care.

YardRat
02-26-2017, 11:53 AM
The idea was originally brought up a couple of weeks ago, well before the tweet...

http://buffalonews.com/2017/02/16/nfl-com-suggests-lesean-mccoy-surprise-cap-casualty/

k-oneputt
02-26-2017, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't like it but it wouldn't shock me either if it happened.

sudzy
02-26-2017, 12:29 PM
This team only has a few things going for it, McCoy happens to be one of the big ones. You would think the "geniuses" that run this team would bring someone in that could utilize those things. :huh:

Mr. Pink
02-26-2017, 12:53 PM
Why cut him?

Unless you plan on being active in FA to replace the dollars or you're going full out tank mode.

Doesn't make sense to let him go at this juncture. You need a star of some sort to keep people interested in the games. And starting Gillislee doesn't scream "excitement"

Albany,n.y.
02-26-2017, 01:01 PM
I'm going to start a rumor on Twitter that the Patriots are cutting Brady & some idiot would write an article that there are rumors the Patriots are cutting Brady.

swiper
02-26-2017, 01:06 PM
I'm going to start a rumor on Twitter that the Patriots are cutting Brady & some idiot would write an article that there are rumors the Patriots are cutting Brady.

The only difference is one organization has a history of making stupid, cost-saving moves and one does not.

TacklingDummy
02-26-2017, 02:44 PM
I'm ok with cutting him.

2 years ago Williams and Gillisee proved this year that we would be fine without him.

Dime a dozen position you don't need to pay.

feldspar
02-26-2017, 02:51 PM
The only difference is one organization has a history of making stupid, cost-saving moves and one does not.

The Pegulas do not have that history, though. They are running the show now.

This is not hockey, where teams might deliberately tank. Different ball-game, as they say.

To me, flat-out cutting McCoy would be idiotic in every respect. I'd be surprised and disappointed if that we're to happen...I don't think it will....

feldspar
02-26-2017, 02:53 PM

What took you is long . I was waiting to hear you say that again...

I couldn't disagree any more.

Mr. Pink
02-26-2017, 03:14 PM
I'm ok with cutting him.

2 years ago Williams and Gillisee proved this year that we would be fine without him.

While I do agree with this, McCoy is the only true star on this team at this time. He is the entire offense since there's a dumpster fire at QB and if you release McCoy combined with going with a rookie or NFL journeyman QB there is zero reason to watch the Bills offense let alone be excited by anything on it.

If this team had a real QB than cutting McCoy for caps savings or even trading him would make sense...with the state of the Bills team and their inability to really make it much better in the offseason it doesn't make sense to let him go.

Mouldsie
02-26-2017, 03:28 PM
The tank would be in full effect

SpikedLemonade
02-26-2017, 03:48 PM
To do what with the money?

TacklingDummy
02-26-2017, 06:13 PM
While I do agree with this, McCoy is the only true star on this team at this time. He is the entire offense since there's a dumpster fire at QB and if you release McCoy combined with going with a rookie or NFL journeyman QB there is zero reason to watch the Bills offense let alone be excited by anything on it.

If this team had a real QB than cutting McCoy for caps savings or even trading him would make sense...with the state of the Bills team and their inability to really make it much better in the offseason it doesn't make sense to let him go.

People don't watch football for the running game, it's a passing league now.

The Bills the past 2 years ran the ball just fine, if not better, when someone not named McCoy was getting the handoff.

Albany,n.y.
02-26-2017, 06:18 PM
The tank would be in full effect

The Jets are going to be tough to out-tank.

Joe Fo Sho
02-26-2017, 07:03 PM
For those wondering, here's what cutting him would save us year by year.

Year
Cap Hit
Dead Cap
Savings

$8.875MM
$7.875MM
$1MM

$8.95MM
$5.25MM
$3.7MM

$9.05MM
$2.625
$6.425MM

Cutting him this year would make almost no sense, as we'd only save $1MM. The only reason I could see us doing that is so that he'd be off of our payroll completely in 2018, which would tell me that we are in full blown rebuild mode and not to expect a playoff run for at least another 2-3 years.

OpIv37
02-26-2017, 07:44 PM
First, the guy is good on the field. He's probably the only true superstar on the team right now. It makes no sense to cut him from a football perspective or from a cap perspective. He lives up to his reputation on the field.

Second, even if he didn't live up to his reputation, he's the most marketable player we have. Brandon would never allow him to be cut.

mdcas22
02-26-2017, 08:47 PM
even if they wanted to get rid of him why just cut him? you got 1 of the top 10 running backs in the league at least try and get something in return, draft picks would be nice.

Turf
02-26-2017, 09:16 PM
To quote Michael Jackson regarding the thread title, "That's Ignorant".

BertSquirtgum
02-26-2017, 09:49 PM
That would be monumentally stupid but hey, it's the Buffalo Bills, so it's possible.

stuckincincy
02-26-2017, 10:35 PM
The Jets are going to be tough to out-tank. What is coming up from the college players that that would make them want to do so?

swiper
02-27-2017, 05:17 AM

This is not hockey, where teams might deliberately tank. Different ball-game, as they say.

To me, flat-out cutting McCoy would be idiotic in every respect. I'd be surprised and disappointed if that we're to happen...I don't think it will....

I can't imagine they would cut him.

Bill Cody
02-27-2017, 09:15 AM

right. So who's watching the Bills for passing?

djjimkelly
02-27-2017, 09:30 AM
Why cut him?

Unless you plan on being active in FA to replace the dollars or you're going full out tank mode.

Doesn't make sense to let him go at this juncture. You need a star of some sort to keep people interested in the games. And starting Gillislee doesn't scream "excitement"

we can only hope we go into full tank mode. i want a real franchise qb.

i'll take alot of **** for this.............. cut taylor , cut mccoy, cut kyle williams. resign gilmore. let the rebuild begin

Joe Fo Sho
02-27-2017, 09:52 AM
we can only hope we go into full tank mode. i want a real franchise qb.

i'll take alot of **** for this.............. cut taylor , cut mccoy, cut kyle williams. resign gilmore. let the rebuild begin

You want to start rebuilding by overpaying a cornerback?

justasportsfan
02-27-2017, 10:19 AM

The Bills the past 2 years ran the ball just fine, if not better, when someone not named McCoy was getting the handoff.

I agree. But without a qb , we need a PROVEN rb to help out whoever we bring in. Whether it's a rookie or a band-aid qb, we will need a great running game to help them develop.

SpikedLemonade
02-27-2017, 10:20 AM

That is the Buffalo Bills way.

coastal
02-27-2017, 10:27 AM
If the Pegula's know one thing... it's how to tank!

WagonCircler
02-27-2017, 10:45 AM

I don't think you can say that anymore. They've made massive mistakes already with coaches and at the GM position. Unforced errors.

The Marrone situation was a cluster****. Rex was a massive blunder. Keeping Whaley is pure, undistilled stupidity. The Lafontaine mess was ugly. And it's beginning to look like the Bylsma hire was a mistake.

I'm grateful to Terry Pegula (sorry, this whole referring to the Bills and Sabres ownership as "them" is just stupid) for spurring downtown development, but there's no shortage of stupid when it comes to his decision making process.

feldspar
02-27-2017, 11:05 AM
I don't think you can say that anymore. They've made massive mistakes already with coaches and at the GM position. Unforced errors.

The Marrone situation was a cluster****. Rex was a massive blunder. Keeping Whaley is pure, undistilled stupidity. The Lafontaine mess was ugly. And it's beginning to look like the Bylsma hire was a mistake.

I'm grateful to Terry Pegula (sorry, this whole referring to the Bills and Sabres ownership as "them" is just stupid) for spurring downtown development, but there's no shortage of stupid when it comes to his decision making process.

All I said the the Pegulas don't have a history of skimping on money.

You're talking about something different entirely.

Luisito23
02-27-2017, 12:20 PM
I think think all the thank yous and appreciation are done, and it's time to realize that Pegula is nothing but another incompetent rich owner.

djjimkelly
02-27-2017, 12:58 PM

yes. what i have read about our new coach. we need CB play to be above average. and ill be honest a tank would mean new qb in 2018 he would be ready to truly compete 2020. and the D will have to be the strength moving forward till the qb i think with a tank this year draft a top qb we can be in contention in 3 the CB plays into that

The Jokeman
02-27-2017, 05:47 PM

The Jaguars might tank too. I mean they kept Marrone as HC and Hackett as OC and look like keeping Boyles/Henne at QB and Mike Pettine lookalike Todd Wash at DC.

stuckincincy
02-27-2017, 09:46 PM

Add in the fact that the viewing of a RB breaking through the line is more visceral to the paying and watching public. A 60 yard pass completion is exciting, but a 60 yard run is more so.

Having a spiff running back is a time-tested way to gin up a local fan base.

Beyond that, McCoy is a very good RB. Keep 'em, IMO. We all know about the wear factor. Maybe dump him next year? Not scoming year.

cookie G
02-27-2017, 09:51 PM

ha...funniest thing I read in this forum in weeks.

TacklingDummy
02-27-2017, 10:19 PM
right. So who's watching the Bills for passing?

How many running backs in this age of football would you pay to go watch?

Me, none.

Bill Cody
02-28-2017, 11:05 AM
How many running backs in this age of football would you pay to go watch?

Me, none.

Personally I liked the NFL of yesteryear better. Just because it's a pass happy league doesn't make that more entertaining. If you think so great, go watch arena league it's even more passing.

But the short answer is McCoy is more fun to watch than Tie Rod and it's not close.

Forward_Lateral
02-28-2017, 01:46 PM
Hardly enough savings to warrant cutting someone of his caliber. If his cap savings was 15-20 million a year, then this would be an intelligent conversation.

mdcas22
02-28-2017, 10:23 PM
Hardly enough savings to warrant cutting someone of his caliber. If his cap savings was 15-20 million a year, then this would be an intelligent conversation.

if he is cut you can pro rate his dead cap hit over 2 years so you would save 4 Mil this year and have 4 mil in dead cap next year, like I said Id trade him.

swiper
03-01-2017, 05:28 AM

They think they are signing Jay Cutler in NYC. LOL.