• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Prudence in Free Agency

The rising cap has given many teams a ton of cap space. That will likely mean many players will be overpaid.

This is the sort of situation where it may be best to wait a while in free agency while until the big money is gone to get role players at reduced rates. We still need to focus on building mostly through the draft. Re-sign our own if it makes sense. But spend wisely.

• YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Prudence in Free Agency

I didn't expect much again this year anyway, especially if they retain Taylor.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
      Haha...yeah you think so ?
      • Mar 2013

On one hand this is fine, Whaley does his best work (pro personnel) with short term vet minimum guys to plug holes.

On the other hand this is bad because he needs them to fill longer term cheaper holes caused by poor drafting.

Gives you an ongoing team of temps you can't afford to keep next year if they're any good.

Comment

• The Jokeman
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
        The rising cap has given many teams a ton of cap space. That will likely mean many players will be overpaid.

This is the sort of situation where it may be best to wait a while in free agency while until the big money is gone to get role players at reduced rates. We still need to focus on building mostly through the draft. Re-sign our own if it makes sense. But spend wisely.
        As last offseason showed you can always find guys. Now will they all produce at Pro Bowl levels? Not likely but to me cheap guys to look at include Roman Harper, Kamar Aiken/Brian Quick, Nick Foles/Brian Hoyer, Captain Munnerlyn, Jerome Felton, Gavin Escobar and Robbie Gould/Blair Walsh. Also re-sign Lorenzo Alexander and cut Dan Carpenter, Nickel Robey, Tyrod Taylor and let Woods and Gilmore go.Trade down in the draft to early twenties and a 3rd rounder and draft best CB round 1, best FS prospect Round 2, QB Nathan Peterman Round 3 and best RT prospect Round 3.

Comment

• Mace
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
          As last offseason showed you can always find guys. Now will they all produce at Pro Bowl levels? Not likely but to me cheap guys to look at include Roman Harper, Kamar Aiken/Brian Quick, Nick Foles/Brian Hoyer, Captain Munnerlyn, Jerome Felton, Gavin Escobar and Robbie Gould/Blair Walsh. Also re-sign Lorenzo Alexander and cut Dan Carpenter, Nickel Robey, Tyrod Taylor and let Woods and Gilmore go.Trade down in the draft to early twenties and a 3rd rounder and draft best CB round 1, best FS prospect Round 2, QB Nathan Peterman Round 3 and best RT prospect Round 3.
          At this point, I'd be relatively ok with it, though I'm not sold on Munnerlyn, Harper, or Alexander in the probably defense.

Comment

• The Jokeman
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Mace View Post
            At this point, I'd be relatively ok with it, though I'm not sold on Munnerlyn, Harper, or Alexander in the probably defense.
            Those three to me vets who can give this teammate leadership and provide depth and/or knowledge to the McDermott system. Lorax also a beast on ST even if doesn't fit the D.

Comment

• Mace
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
              Those three to me vets who can give this teammate leadership and provide depth and/or knowledge to the McDermott system. Lorax also a beast on ST even if doesn't fit the D.
              It's likely not the McDermott system, it's likely the run to the ball Frazier system. McDermott is the head coach not the DC.

Comment

• jimmifli
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                It's likely not the McDermott system, it's likely the run to the ball Frazier system. McDermott is the head coach not the DC.
                It's really rare for a first time head coach to be hands off on the side of the ball he came from. Typically they get an experienced coordinator for the other side of the ball and leave them to run it. Then spend their time getting their side of the ball to run how their last team did, usually complete with total system change and personnel turnover.

Who was the last coach to be hired that didn't run the system they ran as a coordinator? I can't think of any.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                  Zero for Zero!
                  • Mar 2003

I am not sure about Prudence in free agency. he's bound to get over paid and I think a lot of his success was due to the system he was in
                  Originally posted by mysticsoto
                  Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• jimmifli
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
                    I am not sure about Prudence in free agency. he's bound to get over paid and I think a lot of his success was due to the system he was in
                    He won't fit our system anyways.

Comment

• X-Era
                      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                      • Feb 2005

Juress? He's a sleeper. Whaley may bring him in as a street free agent and he could easily become our starter and lead us to the SB.

Comment

• Buddo
                        • Mar 2007

The Pro-Personnel side of things, has done pretty well over a number of years. It's something Whaley definitely deserves a great deal of credit for.

It's a valid point about finding guys, only not to be able to pay them later though, yet next year, if we do find a few nuggets, we should be in a better position to pay them, and hopefully, the same going forward.

Things are going to start to get very interesting, very soon, particularly in relation to which guys we manage to keep, or at least look to keep. Someone like Gilmore is quite likely to be a casualty, not because of his play, but because he will be relatively over-priced, when there's a draft coming up, that is supposedly DB heavy in quality, and his numbers could be used to get, or retain, a couple of guys we also want.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Jesus H Christ, Prudence is a chick. Have you ever even listened to a good song in your entire life?
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• GingerP
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
                            Who was the last coach to be hired that didn't run the system they ran as a coordinator? I can't think of any.
                            Mike Tomin. Of course, he took over a team that had Dick Lebeau as coordinator and had been running the same defense successfully for a long time.

Comment

• Mace
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
                              It's really rare for a first time head coach to be hands off on the side of the ball he came from. Typically they get an experienced coordinator for the other side of the ball and leave them to run it. Then spend their time getting their side of the ball to run how their last team did, usually complete with total system change and personnel turnover.

Well, former OC Jason Garrett has Scott Linehan running his offense, former DC Ron Rivera had Sean McDermott running his defense, there's Tomlin/Lebeau, Anthony Lynn will have Whisenhunt for some examples.

Buffalo ? Well, remember Marv Levy was a running game disciple with his Wing-T offense at his previous stop, very conservative guy, ended up handing the reins to Marchibroda and K-Gun.

It's peculiar to think McDermott will be overly hands on, because his DC is Tampa-2, his LB coach is Tampa-2, and his secondary coach is Tampa-2. McDermott never ran a Tampa-2. The other guys barely ever didn't run one, they're disciples.

I craved a managerial HC, no gripe with that (if it happens), but if his defense looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. That duck doesn't look like McDermott's not Tampa-2. Big diff too on Cover-2 as a package, and T-2 as a scheme. Cover-2 is common, T-2 is obsolete and gone.

Is this meant to be Cover-2 expertise and not T-2 scheme ? No idea. Hope I'm wrong, still looks like a duck to me though.

Comment

Working...
                              X