PDA

View Full Version : Some game thoughts.

TigerJ
09-15-2002, 09:19 PM
I made a prediction before the season started, that early on at least the Bills were going to be involved in some high scoring games. I'm wrong on a lot of things, but I sure hit that one right on the nose.

I'm thrilled with the win even though I didn't get to see the last part of the game. Obviously the special teams needs to keep working at improving their coverage units, and the defense needs to get better too.

I think that one reason the defense gave up so many yards today was the presence of the Culpepper-Moss connection. Most of the time defenses have the philosophical approach of "stop the run and make them pass." Not that Buffalo stopped Moss (11catches-111 yards), but the Culpepper-Moss connection makes defenses think "stop the pass " first.

On offence in this game, I thought that trying to get in a shootout with Minnesota was a mistake. I thought Buffalo would try to play ball control. That's one prediction I blew. I think Minnesota saw film from last weeks Jets game and decided to try and stop the run. Buffalo obliged and they got into the shootout I was afraid of. Well, it was close, but we ended on top. I'm glad for the win, but I wouldn't mind an easy victory now.

At any rate, I think the win will be a confidence builder for the Bills. Now they need to win one of their next two in order to avoid creeping self doubt again. I think that's possible. It would also be nice to see losses by the fins and patsies in the next couple games too. However, as we all know the AFC East is the toughest and best division in football. Buffalo is not going to win the division by waiting for the other teams to stumble.

Shiny Chicken
09-15-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I made a prediction before the season started, that early on at least the Bills were going to be involved in some high scoring games. I'm wrong on a lot of things, but I sure hit that one right on the nose.

No kidding, we lead the league in scoring.

Of course we're also, I believe, 31'st in points against... we should probably work on that :D

venis2k1
09-15-2002, 09:27 PM
They Shut us down in the first half, they controlled the line on offense and defense, but the second half we started to get some nice yardage through the air. We are having some trouble stopping the run. but our pass rush looked pretty good. we got into the back feild ALOT, but could not make the tackle.

mybills
09-15-2002, 09:29 PM

Culpepper-Moss connection makes defenses think "stop the pass " first.

They could stop the run almost every time, but it was sad to see Moss & Alexander wide open so many times. So I guess they weren't thinking that too often.

The_Philster
09-16-2002, 04:50 AM
At any rate, I think the win will be a confidence builder for the Bills. Now they need to win one of their next two in order to avoid creeping self doubt again. I think that's possible. It would also be nice to see losses by the fins and patsies in the next couple games too. However, as we all know the AFC East is the toughest and best division in football. Buffalo is not going to win the division by waiting for the other teams to stumble.

Well said. I know it gave me a lot more confidence. Denver will be a tough one as will Chicago. However, I think we can pull one of those off...probably the Bears....but I'm still picking the Bills to win next Sunday ;)

SABURZFAN
09-16-2002, 07:01 AM
i think Gee Dubya screwed up going with the 2 point conversion.i'm glad that we won.