PDA

View Full Version : The Last 2 Decades -- Are the Bills or Sabres More Organizationally Dysfunctional?

SpikedLemonade
02-28-2017, 04:39 AM
Let's make the cut off 1997.

Neither team has won a Championship in their current leagues since the Sabres joined the NHL in 1970.

The owners have been some real "special" people. Now it has been consolidated into the hands of one idiot.

So I ask, which team has been more managerially dysfunctional over the past two decades?

coastal
02-28-2017, 06:39 AM
I'll go with Bills...

but what they did to Pat Lafontaine because he didn't want to tank... in favor of the troll GMTM will haunt this organization for a generation.

Jan Reimers
02-28-2017, 06:47 AM
The Bills, by 11 years.

The Jokeman
02-28-2017, 06:47 AM

Neither team has won a Championship in their current leagues since the Sabres joined the NHL in 1970.

The owners have been some real "special" people. Now it has been consolidated into the hands of one idiot.

So I ask, which team has been more managerially dysfunctional over the past two decades?

Easily the Sabres been better run No Goal was 1999 and they made a few runs in the Drury/Briere years and look like on the cusp of being a playoff team again. In fact probably would have this year had it not been for the Eichel/Kane injuries to start the season. The Bills just haven't bottomed out like the Sabres have to really ignite a full rebuild.

SpikedLemonade
02-28-2017, 07:53 AM
Easily the Sabres been better run No Goal was 1999 and they made a few runs in the Drury/Briere years and look like on the cusp of being a playoff team again. In fact probably would have this year had it not been for the Eichel/Kane injuries to start the season. The Bills just haven't bottomed out like the Sabres have to really ignite a full rebuild.

"Cusp of being a play-off team"

Blaming injuries.

Welcome to the Buffalo sports psychology!!

The Sabres have lost 3 straight including to league wide worst team Colorado.

They are 4 points out of last place in the Eastern Conference despite an intentional 2 & 1/2 year tank job.

OpIv37
02-28-2017, 08:06 AM
The Bills are definitely more disfunctional. The Sabres had some good teams and numerous playoff appearances over the that time. The rebuild has been slow and I'm not convinced they got it right, but at least they have a plan and some progress is being made. The Bills are just taking shots in the dark at this point

OpIv37
02-28-2017, 08:26 AM
"Cusp of being a play-off team"

Blaming injuries.

Welcome to the Buffalo sports psychology!!

The Sabres have lost 3 straight including to league wide worst team Colorado.

They are 4 points out of last place in the Eastern Conference despite an intentional 2 & 1/2 year tank job.

Hold on now. No one is saying the Sabres are great. We are just saying they haven't been as dismal as the Bills. The Bills haven't been on the cusp of making the playoffs for 3 years now.

SpikedLemonade
02-28-2017, 09:50 AM
Hold on now. No one is saying the Sabres are great. We are just saying they haven't been as dismal as the Bills. The Bills haven't been on the cusp of making the playoffs for 3 years now.
Neither have the Sabres.

AND when you call losing on purpose for 2 & 1/2 years a "plan", then you know you are talking about Buffalo.

OpIv37
02-28-2017, 10:01 AM
Well, there are definitely lowered expectations in Buffalo. I've been *****ing about that for years.

SpikedLemonade
02-28-2017, 12:16 PM
Well, there are definitely lowered expectations in Buffalo. I've been *****ing about that for years.

If Buffalo sports was a limbo stick, the expectations are so low as to compare participants hitting the stick with their forehead.

Historian
02-28-2017, 12:48 PM
Bills by a mile, although the Sabres are doing their damnest to catch up!

:up:

cookie G
02-28-2017, 12:51 PM
This thread would depress Katrina and the Waves

I'm walking on sunsh.... ah ****.

Well, at least I have the Jayhawks.

Rock Chalk!

SpikedLemonade
02-28-2017, 05:07 PM

Rock Chalk!
I feel your pain.

I feel your pain.

SpikedLemonade
03-01-2017, 06:27 AM
Bills by a mile, although the Sabres are doing their damnest to catch up!

:up:

I voted Sabres

Topas
03-01-2017, 09:24 AM
Just as it is common for them the Bills come up second place in this.

cookie G
03-01-2017, 10:36 AM
I feel your pain.

I feel your pain.

In these dark and painful times, a bit of Phog can be a nice salve..

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d4yoX1GCoVY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You have to be a fan of one team that's successful, or you become an axe murderer.

SpikedLemonade
03-01-2017, 11:04 AM
In these dark and painful times, a bit of Phog can be a nice salve..

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d4yoX1GCoVY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

You have to be a fan of one team that's successful, or you become an axe murderer.

So true

SpikedLemonade
03-02-2017, 05:13 PM
I'll go with Bills...

but what they did to Pat Lafontaine because he didn't want to tank... in favor of the troll GMTM will haunt this organization for a generation.

That Lafontaine saga was one of the most dumbest chapters in Sabre history.

SpikedLemonade
03-06-2017, 03:28 AM
Another classic Sabres collapse yesterday.

Up 3-0 in Pittsburg after one period and end up losing in regulation time 4-3.

Pure and utter dysfunctionality.

djjimkelly
03-06-2017, 08:59 AM
while both teams have been dismal and i am a huge fan of both teams .

the bills easily win the dysfunction between the 2.

both have had horrific results. there is one huge difference. the bills would like to make us believe they have just a few plays away from being a playoff team continuously for the last 20 years. the sabres havent proclaimed that.

the sabres currently have players like eichel, o'reily ristolenin and a few others that are clearly the future or pieces that can be traded for the future. the will be a playoff team in 2018 maybe this year if they can get hot for 5 or 6 games right now last night against pittsburgh didnt help. but 2018 its on

the bills on the other hand truly dont have any centerpieces to the franchise. we have some nice players on the bills but truly no one under 25 that is a no brainer.

so the bills clearly win on dysfunction. with next to no gamechangers on the roster

djjimkelly
03-06-2017, 09:01 AM
Another classic Sabres collapse yesterday.

Up 3-0 in Pittsburg after one period and end up losing in regulation time 4-3.

Pure and utter dysfunctionality.

i dont want to blame the refs however how many ticky tack penalties were called on the sabres in the 3rd. i was livid yesterday

SpikedLemonade
03-06-2017, 10:40 AM
i dont want to blame the refs however how many ticky tack penalties were called on the sabres in the 3rd. i was livid yesterday

You are better than this buddy.

YardRat
03-06-2017, 03:53 PM

The third goal and the penalty on Kane were horrible, I didn't see anything after the Pens tied it up. That being said considering the first period they never should put themselves in that position to begin with.

Night Train
03-06-2017, 03:57 PM
Lately, the Sabres are looking like a folding tent. They need a massive off-season and the coach isn't working at all. Murray has 1 more year.

There is actually more hope going forward with the Bills at present. Didn't think that at all a year ago.

SpikedLemonade
03-06-2017, 06:23 PM
Lately, the Sabres are looking like a folding tent. They need a massive off-season and the coach isn't working at all. Murray has 1 more year.

There is actually more hope going forward with the Bills at present. Didn't think that at all a year ago.

I agree.

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-06-2017, 07:26 PM
either way, the question was over the last 2 decades.

it's literally impossible to intelligently answer that the sabres are worse because they have had some success. 1 stanley cup final and 2 (or maybe 3. i can't remember) trips to the eastern conference finals in that time. That's not even close to zero playoffs in the matter of the 'Buffalo Beels' as S. Wilcots calls us

SpikedLemonade
03-08-2017, 12:39 AM
Another Sabres loss.

They have played a few more games than the other cellar dwellers so a few more losses should get them in last place in the Eastern Conference once again by St. Paddy's Day.

Murray needs to be fired.

djjimkelly
03-08-2017, 07:40 AM
Another Sabres loss.

They have played a few more games than the other cellar dwellers so a few more losses should get them in last place in the Eastern Conference once again by St. Paddy's Day.

Murray needs to be fired.

besides ristolinen the sabres have no defencemen they need 2 ew ones in the offseason

SpikedLemonade
03-08-2017, 08:05 AM
besides ristolinen the sabres have no defencemen they need 2 ew ones in the offseason
Seasoned experienced top 4 D are expensive and difficult to find.

A drafted Dman takes until he is 24+ years old to be solid on the defensive side.

It is a dilemma many NHL teams find themselves in.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-08-2017, 11:31 AM

Rock Chalk!

Ditto, my sports world would be very bleak without Greg Marshall and the Machine he has built in Wichita.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-08-2017, 12:00 PM
Hmmm, actually I think perhaps Greg should try Bills football. Sure he has no experience at football but damn I assure you that nobody would be slacking off. Now to answer the question, it's the Bills who are the worse ran franchise. The Sabres are horrid as of late but they have been in the playoffs a lot more recently.

SpikedLemonade
03-08-2017, 08:34 PM
Hmmm, actually I think perhaps Greg should try Bills football. Sure he has no experience at football but damn I assure you that nobody would be slacking off. Now to answer the question, it's the Bills who are the worse ran franchise. The Sabres are horrid as of late but they have been in the playoffs a lot more recently.
Sabres suck!

Mr. Pink
03-08-2017, 11:24 PM
The Bills.

At least they've tried to actually rebuild and do something different, even though it's obviously not working.

The Bills have just continuously spun their wheels in mediocrity that was shown with an exclamation point with restructuring what is likely the worst passing QB in the entire NFL.

With that schedule upcoming this team is a 4 win team with Tyrod or hell Cardale Jones at QB...it was the perfect time to go in a different direction or try to do what the Jets are doing - full out tank mode. But instead this franchise has decided that spinning the wheels of perpetual mediocrity is the way to go with a guy behind center who is literally allergic to throwing the ball to the majority of the field.

Well F that, I'm done watching this garbage and posting about this garbage. I know how this season will go. i know how next season will go. While other teams will attempt to actually get better, we're stuck spinning our wheels. The Jets, will suck and suck a lot this next season, but come 2019 they'll be in much better shape than we are.

We have a front office who seems to think trying to play .500 football is the desired result.

That is completely unacceptable to me and should be completely unacceptable to everyone else on this board.

Restructuring Tyrod shows that they are committed to mediocrity and you might as well start the 2019 or 2020 coaching search today because it will be coming as well as the 2019 or 2020 search for a new QB.

I will not partake in 2 to 3 years of what amounts to lame duck football. Watching or posting about it. Whoever does stick around don't get too upset when this team's aspirations, at best, are .500 for the next 2-3 years. Don't be too upset when this team wins 4 games this coming season. Don't be too upset when a cornerback ends up being the first round draft pick. Don't be too upset when Tyrod continues to be allergic to the middle of the field. And don't be too upset in 2020 when the playoff drought has reached an absurd 2 decades.

In the words of Arnold..."I'll be back" when Tyrod, McWhoCares and Doug "humans shouldn't play football" Whaley are all gone and replaced.

SpikedLemonade
03-09-2017, 04:55 AM
The Bills.

At least they've tried to actually rebuild and do something different, even though it's obviously not working.

The Bills have just continuously spun their wheels in mediocrity that was shown with an exclamation point with restructuring what is likely the worst passing QB in the entire NFL.

With that schedule upcoming this team is a 4 win team with Tyrod or hell Cardale Jones at QB...it was the perfect time to go in a different direction or try to do what the Jets are doing - full out tank mode. But instead this franchise has decided that spinning the wheels of perpetual mediocrity is the way to go with a guy behind center who is literally allergic to throwing the ball to the majority of the field.

Well F that, I'm done watching this garbage and posting about this garbage. I know how this season will go. i know how next season will go. While other teams will attempt to actually get better, we're stuck spinning our wheels. The Jets, will suck and suck a lot this next season, but come 2019 they'll be in much better shape than we are.

We have a front office who seems to think trying to play .500 football is the desired result.

That is completely unacceptable to me and should be completely unacceptable to everyone else on this board.

Restructuring Tyrod shows that they are committed to mediocrity and you might as well start the 2019 or 2020 coaching search today because it will be coming as well as the 2019 or 2020 search for a new QB.

I will not partake in 2 to 3 years of what amounts to lame duck football. Watching or posting about it. Whoever does stick around don't get too upset when this team's aspirations, at best, are .500 for the next 2-3 years. Don't be too upset when this team wins 4 games this coming season. Don't be too upset when a cornerback ends up being the first round draft pick. Don't be too upset when Tyrod continues to be allergic to the middle of the field. And don't be too upset in 2020 when the playoff drought has reached an absurd 2 decades.

In the words of Arnold..."I'll be back" when Tyrod, McWhoCares and Doug "humans shouldn't play football" Whaley are all gone and replaced.

Well aid sir!

Well said.

SpikedLemonade
03-10-2017, 08:42 AM
The Sabres go for four consecutive losses tonight in Columbus.

Tank you. Tank you very much.

SpikedLemonade
03-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Perhaps I should I have phrased the poll as -- Whose management has their head further up their ass?

SpikedLemonade
03-10-2017, 08:28 PM
4-3 Columbus in the 3rd

SpikedLemonade
03-10-2017, 08:51 PM
DONE

4-3 loss

Here comes the tank

endzone
03-10-2017, 09:47 PM
The Bills by a long shot!

SpikedLemonade
03-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Sabres go for 5 in a row in 15 minutes.

Tank you.

Tank you very much.

SpikedLemonade
03-11-2017, 06:42 PM
3-0 Blue Jackets

Tim Murray is a strategic guru.

SpikedLemonade
03-13-2017, 05:38 PM
What will BIG Brain Tim Murray's strategic plan be next year given this?

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/addition-of-golden-knights-curbs-appeal-of-tanking-1.695461

swiper
03-13-2017, 06:14 PM
http://storage.torontosun.com/v1/suns-prod-images/1297887268644_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80

Ooo. Oooo. Oooo. Pick me Mr. Kotter.

SpikedLemonade
03-13-2017, 06:27 PM
"....I am an excellent NHL GM...excellent GM..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU1A0sHWYQg

SpikedLemonade
03-17-2017, 12:35 AM
Another loss and the Sabres are now only 4 points ahead of the Devils for dead last in the Eastern Conference.

JoeMama
03-17-2017, 11:51 AM

Asking which franchise is more dysfunctional is splitting hairs.

Like asking who's more evil, Adolph Hitler or Pol Pot.

It's all the same in the end.

Mouldsie
03-17-2017, 04:59 PM
I mean it's clearly the Bills

SpikedLemonade
03-17-2017, 10:34 PM
Asking which franchise is more dysfunctional is splitting hairs.

Like asking who's more evil, Adolph Hitler or Pol Pot.

It's all the same in the end.

True.

Evil?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOnSh3QlpbQhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOnSh3QlpbQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOnSh3QlpbQ

SpikedLemonade
03-21-2017, 07:08 PM
http://storage.torontosun.com/v1/suns-prod-images/1297887268644_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80

Ooo. Oooo. Oooo. Pick me Mr. Kotter.

Tell me that is not a poster for some charity telethon?

coastal
03-21-2017, 07:09 PM
Terry's Kids

SpikedLemonade
03-21-2017, 09:25 PM
Terry's Kids

Another classic Sabres loss with a Red Wings win.

Frenchman
03-21-2017, 10:45 PM
Yeah as Sabres indeed choked big time!

SpikedLemonade
03-23-2017, 07:03 PM
The Sabres have a series of games against play-off teams over the next week.

Consecutive losses should get them lower in the standings than the Red Wings.

After that, the Sabres can focus and being worse than the Devils.

SpikedLemonade
03-28-2017, 07:33 PM
Sabres down 2-1 near end of 2nd period.

SpikedLemonade
03-28-2017, 08:41 PM
Sabres lose.

Red Wings lost as well.

No change to the race to the bottom.

SpikedLemonade
03-30-2017, 08:48 AM
<tbody>
National Hockey League
<abbr title="Games Played" style="box-sizing: inherit; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(119, 119, 119); cursor: pointer;">GP</abbr>
<abbr title="Wins (worth two points)" style="box-sizing: inherit; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(119, 119, 119); cursor: pointer;">W</abbr>
<abbr title="Losses (worth zero points)" style="box-sizing: inherit; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(119, 119, 119); cursor: pointer;">L</abbr>
<abbr title="OT/Shootout losses (worth one point)" style="box-sizing: inherit; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(119, 119, 119); cursor: pointer;">OT</abbr>
<abbr title="Points" style="box-sizing: inherit; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(119, 119, 119); cursor: pointer;">PTS</abbr>
<abbr title="Regulation plus Overtime Wins" style="box-sizing: inherit; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(119, 119, 119); cursor: pointer;">ROW</abbr>
<abbr title="Goals For" style="box-sizing: inherit; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(119, 119, 119); cursor: pointer;">GF</abbr>
<abbr title="Goals Against" style="box-sizing: inherit; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(119, 119, 119); cursor: pointer;">GA</abbr>
<abbr title="Goal Differential" style="box-sizing: inherit; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(119, 119, 119); cursor: pointer;">DIFF</abbr>
<abbr title="Home record" style="box-sizing: inherit; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(119, 119, 119); cursor: help;">HOME</abbr>
<abbr title="Away Record" style="box-sizing: inherit; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(119, 119, 119); cursor: help;">AWAY</abbr>
<abbr title="Record in games decided by Shootout" style="box-sizing: inherit; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(119, 119, 119); cursor: help;">S/O</abbr>
<abbr title="Record in last ten games" style="box-sizing: inherit; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(119, 119, 119); cursor: help;">L10</abbr>
<abbr title="Streak" style="box-sizing: inherit; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(119, 119, 119); cursor: pointer;">STRK</abbr>
Last Game
Next Game

Buffalo (https://www.nhl.com/sabres)
19-13-6
13-20-6
2-6
5-5-0
L1
Mar 28: BUF 1 - CBJ 3 (https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/2016021130)
Apr 2 vs NYI (https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/2016021166)

Detroit (https://www.nhl.com/redwings)
15-16-6
16-17-6
8-0
5-4-1
L1
Mar 28: DET 1 - CAR 4 (https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/2016021129)
Mar 30 @ TBL (https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/2016021145)

Dallas (https://www.nhl.com/stars)
20-12-6
11-22-5
0-2
4-5-1
L1
Mar 28: DAL 1 - MTL 4 (https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/2016021132)
Mar 30 @ BOS (https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/2016021141)

Vancouver (https://www.nhl.com/canucks)
18-14-6
12-23-3
4-2
2-7-1
L2
Mar 28: VAN 1 - ANA 4 (https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/2016021135)
Mar 31 vs LAK (https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/2016021155)

New Jersey (https://www.nhl.com/devils)
15-15-8
12-20-6
3-3
2-6-2
OT2
Mar 28: NJD 3 - WPG 4 (https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/2016021024)
Mar 31 @ NYI (https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/2016021151)

Arizona (https://www.nhl.com/coyotes)
16-17-5
11-24-4
6-2
3-6-1
L4
Mar 29: ARI 1 - STL 3 (https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/2016021140)
Mar 31 vs WSH (https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/2016021156)

Colorado (https://www.nhl.com/avalanche)
11-25-2
9-28-1
0-1
1-9-0
L7
Mar 29: COL 3 - WSH 5 (https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/2016021139)
Mar 31 vs STL (https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/2016021153)

</tbody>

SpikedLemonade
04-05-2017, 04:42 AM
If the Sabres lose their last 3 regular season games, they can get a top 5 draft pick.

Murray is a genius once again!

SpikedLemonade
04-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Eichel: 'It’s been a mediocre two years'
The Buffalo Sabres will miss the playoffs for a sixth consecutive season this year and second straight since drafting Jack Eichel.

On Tuesday, Eichel, along with other Sabres, expressed their disappointment in missing the playoffs once again.

“It’s been a mediocre two years,” Eichel told the Buffalo News (http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/04/sabres-embarrassed-havent-given-fans-good-times/). “More than anything, it’s a bit disappointing, a bit embarrassing for us as players that we can’t be better for them. You want to please the fans because of all they’ve been through and all they continue to put up with. You just want to be better.”....

http://www.tsn.ca/eichel-it-s-been-a-mediocre-two-years-1.715843

SpikedLemonade
04-08-2017, 06:33 PM
Sabres may be relevant briefly tomorrow night.

SpikedLemonade
04-20-2017, 09:24 AM
Well the DP stepped and fired the Sabres GM and Coach...

http://www.tsn.ca/sabres-fire-bylsma-murray-1.729345

Worse current owner in professional sports...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q55Gmey7wE

Historian
04-20-2017, 10:40 AM
I'm still here!!!!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C93Sr70UIAEMhcy.jpg

SpikedLemonade
04-20-2017, 10:41 AM
I'm still here!!!!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C93Sr70UIAEMhcy.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q

Historian
04-20-2017, 10:49 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C93NFMVXgAEys_D.jpg:large

coastal
04-20-2017, 03:57 PM
**** that guy...

SpikedLemonade
04-20-2017, 05:16 PM
**** that guy...

What guy?

The first guy or the second guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYcsUTqNjNQ

Night Train
04-20-2017, 05:25 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/1gpei9.jpg

SpikedLemonade
04-21-2017, 07:42 AM
I think this poll result should be much closer.

SpikedLemonade
04-22-2017, 05:47 AM
Sabres should have been hiring instead of firing

Firing people is always a move borne of desperation. The Buffalo Sabres are, indeed, a desperate organization.

Maybe owner Terry Pegula was right today when he said the Sabres need more structure, discipline and communication. Most of all, they need leadership.

There’s a familiar maxim that even more important than what you know is that you know what you don’t know. It’s hard to determine if Terry and Kim Pegula know what they don’t know.

The Western New York super couple clearly knows a lot. They’ve amassed an incredible fortune. Smart wouldn’t begin to describe them. But, judging from their very uneven tenures as owners of the NHL Sabres and NFL Bills, pro sports are not their forte....

http://www.tsn.ca/sabres-should-have-been-hiring-instead-of-firing-1.730921

SpikedLemonade
04-30-2017, 09:11 AM
Now that Whaley was fired what do people think of this question?