PDA

View Full Version : How Bills WRs coach boosted Zay Jones draft stock

YardRat
03-05-2017, 06:16 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/How-Bills-WRs-coach-boosted-Zay-Jones-draft-stock/1816526b-0fb7-49dc-8fc0-7311929881e9

Strictly a slot receiver his first three years, it was quickly explained to Jones by McGeoghan, who came to East Carolina after coaching receivers with the Miami Dolphins for three seasons, that he was capable of much more.
“For three years I primarily played in the slot at East Carolina,” said Jones. “I wasn’t an outside receiver. And then Coach Phil came to me and said, ‘Hey, if you want to play in the National Football League, you’ve got to play some outside. With your frame, with your size, with your skill set and your ability, we’ve got to get you outside.’”At 6-2 and 202 pounds, McGeoghan knew that Jones was capable of vastly diversifying his game. A smooth route runner, Jones’ new receivers coach began assigning him a variety of routes typically run in NFL offenses.“He told me, ‘We’ve got to get you in some more pro-style routes, like 18-yard comebacks, curls, things of that sort,’” said Jones.Jones proved to be a quick study in advance of his senior season at East Carolina. The Pirates were working with their third new coordinator in three years, but it didn’t stunt Jones’ playmaking ability or production. He went out and set a NCAA record with 158 receptions in one season (12 games) and in the process also broke the record for most receptions in a college career with 399.

Night Train
03-05-2017, 07:08 AM
2nd round selection ? I'd be fine with him.

His route running and hands are exceptional.