• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Jokeman
    • Dec 2003

Pursue Torrey Smith if/when cut?

49ers will release Torrey Smith
    The San Francisco 49ers are set to release wide receiver Torrey Smith heading into free agency, the player confirmed on Instagram. Smith was unable to live up to expectations after landing a five-year, $40-million deal to join the 49ers in 2015, recording just 930 receiving yards and seven touchdowns across 28 games.Already rich with salary-cap space as the new regime starts its rebuild, the 49ers will save a little less than half of Smith's scheduled $9.475-million hit by parting ways.Smith posted a lengthy Instagram post thanking various members of the 49ers organization: I would like to say thank you to the @49ers for allowing me to wear red and gold for the last 2 seasons. It didn't go the way we wanted it to but I'm thankful for the relationships I was able to build. I had a great time in the locker room with my teammates and equipment staff. I'd like to apologize to the fans because you didn't get to see me at my best. Regardless of what other may think, I believe the 49ers organization is first class and is heading in the right direction. I would like to say thanks to my man Dan...Bob..and all of the PR staff for showing love to my family. Furgie, the training staff and doctors for taking care of me. The community relations team is arguably the best in the country! I appreciate you all for allowing us to be a part of it and I will continue to support any way I can...it's a million other folks I need to thank...from Hannah to Joanne..T Lloyd and Lil Kym...but I don't have enough time. Jed keep up the great work I know how important it is to you to succeed. All the best to my boys and the new regime. One final shoutout to the janitors and the chef's y'all were always great to me. Good luck next year. Stay Blessed!!! A post shared by Torrey Smith (@torreysmithwr) on Mar 6, 2017 at 3:21pm PST The decision magnifies a position which was already a glaring need for Kyle Shanahan's offense and might be addressed via both free agency and the draft. As things currently stand, Jeremy Kerley, Quinton Patton, and Bruce Ellington are the top receivers on the depth chart.Smith becomes an unrestricted free agent as soon as his release is made official. Still just 28 and capable of producing as a vertical threat, he'll likely have several suitors on the open market.

(via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

This isn't just a let's sign X because I heard of him but because he has a history with Tyrod ( assuming we keep him) and in signing him he wouldn't cut into our net UFA gain/loss total since he'll be released. Toss in he's an okay 2nd Wr and likely not command a heavy salary?
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: Pursue Torrey Smith if/when cut?

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
    49ers will release Torrey Smith
    The San Francisco 49ers are set to release wide receiver Torrey Smith heading into free agency, the player confirmed on Instagram. Smith was unable to live up to expectations after landing a five-year, $40-million deal to join the 49ers in 2015, recording just 930 receiving yards and seven touchdowns across 28 games.Already rich with salary-cap space as the new regime starts its rebuild, the 49ers will save a little less than half of Smith's scheduled $9.475-million hit by parting ways.Smith posted a lengthy Instagram post thanking various members of the 49ers organization: I would like to say thank you to the @49ers for allowing me to wear red and gold for the last 2 seasons. It didn't go the way we wanted it to but I'm thankful for the relationships I was able to build. I had a great time in the locker room with my teammates and equipment staff. I'd like to apologize to the fans because you didn't get to see me at my best. Regardless of what other may think, I believe the 49ers organization is first class and is heading in the right direction. I would like to say thanks to my man Dan...Bob..and all of the PR staff for showing love to my family. Furgie, the training staff and doctors for taking care of me. The community relations team is arguably the best in the country! I appreciate you all for allowing us to be a part of it and I will continue to support any way I can...it's a million other folks I need to thank...from Hannah to Joanne..T Lloyd and Lil Kym...but I don't have enough time. Jed keep up the great work I know how important it is to you to succeed. All the best to my boys and the new regime. One final shoutout to the janitors and the chef's y'all were always great to me. Good luck next year. Stay Blessed!!! A post shared by Torrey Smith (@torreysmithwr) on Mar 6, 2017 at 3:21pm PST The decision magnifies a position which was already a glaring need for Kyle Shanahan's offense and might be addressed via both free agency and the draft. As things currently stand, Jeremy Kerley, Quinton Patton, and Bruce Ellington are the top receivers on the depth chart.Smith becomes an unrestricted free agent as soon as his release is made official. Still just 28 and capable of producing as a vertical threat, he'll likely have several suitors on the open market.

(via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

This isn't just a let's sign X because I heard of him but because he has a history with Tyrod ( assuming we keep him) and in signing him he wouldn't cut into our net UFA gain/loss total since he'll be released. Toss in he's an okay 2nd Wr and likely not command a heavy salary?

I think if they keep Taylor I'm fine with it, if they go with a rookie or young guy I'd say no because he probably needs a target to grow with, if they get some other retread vet QB for bridge, I'm ok with it on a shorter prove-it deal.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Sure, if he comes cheap. If not, I think Justin Hunter earned a longer look last season.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Jokeman
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        Sure, if he comes cheap. If not, I think Justin Hunter earned a longer look last season.
        Hunter deserves a look at WR3 but not WR2.

Comment

• EDS
          • Jan 2003

I think the Bills need a bigger move the chains type of guy as the #2 rather than a speed guy with poor hands.

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

Just draft Williams at #10

Comment

• Mouldsie
              • Aug 2012

Sure if we are tanking

Comment