PDA

View Full Version : Schmidt not tendered

swiper
03-07-2017, 11:28 AM
:(

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/07/bills-dont-tender-ik-enemkpali-colton-schmidt/

Yasgur's Farm
03-07-2017, 11:31 AM
A little unsettling going into a season without an established kicker, punter, long snapper. Stay tuned!

SpikedLemonade
03-07-2017, 12:04 PM
A little unsettling going into a season without an established kicker, punter, long snapper. Stay tuned!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvLpQiaKIYw

THATHURMANATOR
03-07-2017, 12:19 PM
Who cares

Albany,n.y.
03-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Now we know why Sanborn was let go. With no kicker or punter it's obvious we won't be punting or kicking field goals, meaning there's no need for a long snapper. Touchdown or bust is the new team motto.

justasportsfan
03-07-2017, 12:51 PM
The punter position has been the best position the last 17 years. Culture change ?

ICRockets
03-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Who cares

Considering Colton Schmidt has been excellent, we all should.

Albany,n.y.
03-07-2017, 01:07 PM

He had a few erratic games in 2016. Since the ST coach was retained, he must have lost confidence in him and let the new coach know. That or McDermott was watching films & asked Crossman what's wrong with the punter and didn't like the answer.

THATHURMANATOR
03-07-2017, 01:27 PM

Not worried about this. He is a punter. Get one for as cheap as possible

Bill Cody
03-07-2017, 02:12 PM
We're installing the option and we're going for it on 4th down all day. 5-10 throws a game, Taylor is the perfect fit.

YardRat
03-07-2017, 05:01 PM
IIRC, we don't have a return man under contract at this point either. Special teams could look a lot different this season, apparently.

Mace
03-07-2017, 05:20 PM
IIRC, we don't have a return man under contract at this point either. Special teams could look a lot different this season, apparently.

IK Enemkpali wasn't tendered either !!!

The Jokeman
03-07-2017, 05:25 PM

Or the Bills might try and sign him to a contract lower than the RFA tender.

Mace
03-07-2017, 05:29 PM
Or the Bills might try and sign him to a contract lower than the RFA tender.

I'm not too sure Schmidt would be a good return man though, even for cheap.

The Jokeman
03-07-2017, 05:34 PM
I'm not too sure Schmidt would be a good return man though, even for cheap.

Heck Moorman was a better return man ;)

Night Train
03-07-2017, 08:22 PM
The player acquisition off-season hasn't started yet.

Here's an idea. Let's see what happens ! It's Science !

Frenchman
03-07-2017, 08:26 PM
Really the team has not had such a franchise punter if you want to call it that, since the days of Brian Moorman!

Night Train
03-07-2017, 08:32 PM
Really the team has not had such a franchise punter if you want to call it that, since the days of Brian Moorman!

"Franchise Punter" :rofl:

Not a shot at you at all. But there is tons of truth to that...sadly..

Mace
03-07-2017, 08:47 PM
The player acquisition off-season hasn't started yet.

Here's an idea. Let's see what happens ! It's Science !

Probably the thing is though, they don't have a lot of money, players under contract, or draft picks compared with the rest of the league, so it's a little nerve wracking to see them making more holes.

Trading down a couple times could give them more picks, renegotiating some cap could get them some money, but it almost looks to me like they're going to end up with a half journeyman roster that won't end well again.

This is probably the best time for a rebuild with so few players under contract, but it's...disconcerting to wonder if they're trying to rebuild correctly, win now badly, or flop around in middlin' land without either like they've been largely prone to doing.

It still gets down to wait and see, but you have to admit, waiting and seeing gets old after this long because it's not too easy to see a more progressive pattern.

Mr. Pink
03-07-2017, 09:01 PM
Shane Lechler is available. We can sign him for a retirement tour.

stuckincincy
03-07-2017, 09:13 PM
These cuts might be related to the rise in salary cap.

The cap and its' increases lever off league-wide revenues. The big $ that DAL pockets for box sales gets added to that league total. Jerry Jones pockets the actual $ - it's non-shared revenue.

So DAL has little problem dealing with a rising cap and the minimum that must be paid. Clubs like BUF, like CIN have problems. They want to keep their marquee players - whose salaries rise - and may then dump useful players and replace them with league-minimum players. and then hope things work out ok.

Mace
03-07-2017, 09:14 PM
Shane Lechler is available. We can sign him for a retirement tour.

Not anymore, the Texans resigned the geezer of a top 10 punter.

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-reach-deals-with-Nick-Novak-Shane-Lechler-10984867.php

Mace
03-07-2017, 09:20 PM
These cuts might be related to the rise in salary cap.

The cap and its' increases lever off league-wide revenues. The big $ that DAL pockets for box sales gets added to that league total. Jerry Jones pockets the actual $ - it's non-shared revenue.

So DAL has little problem dealing with a rising cap and the minimum that must be paid. Clubs like BUF, like CIN have problems. They want to keep their marquee players - whose salaries rise - and may then dump useful players and replace them with league-minimum players. and then hope things work out ok.

Green Bay has 16 million more than we do, Cinci has about one million less than Green Bay, and both have more players under contract. Green Bay has near 21 million in Rodgers, Cinci near 16 in Dalton.

Buffalo is doing it wrong.

Cali512
03-07-2017, 11:20 PM
He's shanked I think 3 punts for us, never really had great hang time, and had 2 muffs that were all on him. Punters have a very short leash

Mr. Pink
03-08-2017, 12:04 AM
Not anymore, the Texans resigned the geezer of a top 10 punter.

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-reach-deals-with-Nick-Novak-Shane-Lechler-10984867.php

There goes my great idea! Dammit!

Dr. Lecter
03-08-2017, 07:37 AM

Posts like this is why Mace is so valuable to this site. He has the ability to have rare insight and make observations that nobody else can figure out.

BertSquirtgum
03-08-2017, 09:40 AM
This team sucks balls

stuckincincy
03-08-2017, 09:57 AM
Green Bay has 16 million more than we do, Cinci has about one million less than Green Bay, and both have more players under contract. Green Bay has near 21 million in Rodgers, Cinci near 16 in Dalton.

I was addressing the big picture.

To my mind, the NFL is comprised of 4 teams...DAL, NE, PIT and GB. Everybody else is the supporting cast.

psubills62
03-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Do Clemson and FSU happen to have punters, kickers, and LS entering the draft?

Generalissimus Gibby
03-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Somewhat stupid move. A good punter is really a twelfth man for a Defense

psubills62
03-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Somewhat stupid move. A good punter is really a twelfth man for a Defense
Meh. He was 30th in the league in net average. Easily replaceable.

YardRat
03-08-2017, 05:18 PM

Posts like this is why Mace is so valuable to this site. He has the ability to have rare insight and make observations that nobody else can figure out.

This team sucks balls

Apparently Bert is trying to keep up.

Albany,n.y.
03-08-2017, 05:31 PM
He's back. Re-signed today.

swiper
03-08-2017, 05:36 PM

Good news. He'll have a bounce back year now that the fat Ryan jerks are out of town.

Mace
03-08-2017, 05:58 PM

I choose to ignore your unsavory undertone, Lecter, and accept this rich compliment at face value, because I can be like that sometimes if it suits my self involved purpose.

stuckincincy
03-09-2017, 09:50 PM

Hmm...I have a dim memory of the late Paul Bstating that the punter is the most important member of a team.

There was a game between CLE and CIN a few years back. Through the combination of poor punting by CLE and good punting by CIN, CIN had something like a 300 yard starting field position advantage.