PDA

View Full Version : Bills rumored to land Pro Bowl player in FA

Scumbag College
03-08-2017, 09:06 AM
As per Schefter. FB Kyle Juszczyk from the Ravens. I like the last name...should fit in in Buffalo.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/839491288940625920?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Mahdi
03-08-2017, 09:24 AM
He was with Dennison and Kubiak in Baltimore.

Probably fits their offense as a receiving FB which is useful when you do a lot of roll outs.

psubills62
03-08-2017, 09:31 AM
Sure is hard to get excited about a FB, though it seems like he can do a lot more than just block. 78 receptions over two years is not far off from some TE's. Not a bad deal to have someone versatile who isn't a tell for run vs. pass.

Would seem to make Charles Clay redundant. Maybe they're hoping to use them both together, though, who knows.

Ed
03-08-2017, 09:50 AM
It sounds like he could be a little expensive for a FB, but at least he's a good player entering his prime years. He's also a Harvard grad.

stuckincincy
03-08-2017, 09:54 AM
He was with Dennison and Kubiak in Baltimore.

Probably fits their offense as a receiving FB which is useful when you do a lot of roll outs.

Just the guy they need if they keep Taylor for yet another another inexorable march to 7 and 9 or thereabouts and no playoff berth...

Mahdi
03-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Just the guy they need if they keep Taylor for yet another another inexorable march to 7 and 9 or thereabouts and no playoff berth...

Taylor is not Luck, Brady or Rodgers.

Taylor however could have been the QB of an 11-5 team with a little defense.

I am interested in seeing what Taylor would look like in this type of offense which will get him on the move and rely heavily on play action. Watkins can be lethal and backside runs will be hard to defend.

Joe Fo Sho
03-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Taylor however could have been the QB of an 11-5 team with a little defense.

Or, ya know, if he were a better quarterback.

Mouldsie
03-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Bills FO positional order of importance during playoff drought:

RB
FB
KR/PR
CB
WR
P
LB
S
ST's depth
DT
DE
K
OL
QB

Mouldsie
03-08-2017, 10:24 AM
Or, ya know, if he were a better quarterback.

TT was pretty low on the players to blame for their record to be fair to him

Dr. Lecter
03-08-2017, 10:30 AM
I don't know if I can completely agree with that. I think he played as well as he could, but he is still a fringe starting level QB. How many teams would have he started for last year?

Bills
Jets
Cleveland
Houston
Rams
49ers

Teams that are "maybe"
Denver
Jacksonville
Chicago
Minnesota
That's not more than ten teams.

Thurmal
03-08-2017, 10:36 AM
Just what I thought. He'll be a perfect guy to dump off to for a 3-yard gain when Taylor doesn't see a wide-open Watkins 25 yards down the field.

Joe Fo Sho
03-08-2017, 10:37 AM

Which individual player deserves more blame for our 7-9 record than Tyrod Taylor?

Mahdi
03-08-2017, 10:55 AM
Which individual player deserves more blame for our 7-9 record than Tyrod Taylor?

Marcell Dareus? If I have to choose one. Supposed to stuff the run and pressure the pocket against good QBs. Did neither.

That said, its quite obvious that you're framing your question to get your desired answer.

The answer is that the defense as a whole was bad and our run based offense which Taylor was key to was #1 in rushing. He also had only 6 INTs so he didn't hurt the team or put the defense in bad spots.

Mouldsie
03-08-2017, 10:55 AM

Marcel Dareus
Jerry Hughes
Preston Brown
John Miller
Jordan Mills
Secondary
Sammy Watkins/WR's not named Robert Woods
Dan Carpenter
Colton Schmidt
All backups and STers

Bonus: Rex Ryan

jimmifli
03-08-2017, 10:56 AM

Well, the offense was 10th in points. The defense 19th. So I'd look at defense. And the defense responsible for stopping the run was the worst in the league. So probably there. Except, under previous schemes the same players were near the top of the league, so more than anything I'd point to poor defensive coaching as deserving the most blame.

Mouldsie
03-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Well, the offense was 10th in points. The defense 19th. So I'd look at defense. And the defense responsible for stopping the run was the worst in the league. So probably there. Except, under previous schemes the same players were near the top of the league, so more than anything I'd point to poor defensive coaching as deserving the most blame.

Important to note they were ranked even higher in Points Per Drive I believe. And ranked lower on D in Points Per Drive.

A much more accurate metric IMO as it doesn't get affected by TOP

Kenny
03-08-2017, 10:58 AM
I don't know if I can completely agree with that. I think he played as well as he could, but he is still a fringe starting level QB. How many teams would have he started for last year?

Bills
Jets
Cleveland
Houston
Rams
49ers

Teams that are "maybe"
Denver
Jacksonville
Chicago
Minnesota
I'd throw in KC as well.

We can complain about TT all we want, but what's the alternative? Sure teams like NE, GB, PIT, ATL, etc... all have better QBs, but we arent going to replace TT with those guys. So upgrading the QB isnt a possibility.
We *had* a top 5 defense, and I truly believe Wrecks screwed that up. We still have talent here (depth is another issue), and where we have spots lacking, we can upgrade (unlike QB).

Mouldsie
03-08-2017, 11:06 AM

Bills
Jets
Cleveland
Houston
Rams
49ers

Teams that are "maybe"
Denver
Jacksonville
Chicago
Minnesota

In a true QB competition I think TT would have emerged as the starter for these teams:
Buf
NYJ
CLE
HOU
SF
DEN
JAX
CHI
MINN
DAL*
MIA
KC
PHI*
LA*

Maybe:
CIN

*long term is a diff case

I'm the guy who wants to tank btw

SpikedLemonade
03-08-2017, 11:09 AM
As per Schefter. FB Kyle Juszczyk from the Ravens. I like the last name...should fit in in Buffalo.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/839491288940625920?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Agreed.

That is exactly what the City of Buffalo needs -- more Polacks.

Thurmal
03-08-2017, 11:16 AM
I'd throw in KC as well.

We can complain about TT all we want, but what's the alternative? Sure teams like NE, GB, PIT, ATL, etc... all have better QBs, but we arent going to replace TT with those guys. So upgrading the QB isnt a possibility.
They were 30th in passing! Despite having the #1 run offense and playing the 2nd-easiest schedule for pass defense. Upgrading the QB is closer to a certainty than an impossibility.

Forward_Lateral
03-08-2017, 12:09 PM
I'd throw in KC as well.

We *had* a top 5 defense, and I truly believe Wrecks screwed that up. We still have talent here (depth is another issue), and where we have spots lacking, we can upgrade (unlike QB).

I LOLed hard at you thinking he's better than Alex Smith.

That's the biggest joke I've read in months

Joe Fo Sho
03-08-2017, 12:10 PM
Marcel Dareus
Jerry Hughes
Preston Brown
John Miller
Jordan Mills
Secondary
Sammy Watkins/WR's not named Robert Woods
Dan Carpenter
Colton Schmidt
All backups and STers

Bonus: Rex Ryan

Ha, that's a lot of love for one of the worst ranked passing attacks in the NFL. Not like it's a passing league or anything. It is, however, nice to see you blaming receivers when we had a QB who refused to throw them the ball.

Blaming Carpenter for 9 losses is a joke as well. Nice try, though.

Joe Fo Sho
03-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Marcell Dareus? If I have to choose one. Supposed to stuff the run and pressure the pocket against good QBs. Did neither.

9 losses pinned on Dareus is rough.

That said, its quite obvious that you're framing your question to get your desired answer.

I asked a question in response to a claim that Tyrod was less to blame than other players.

The answer is that the defense as a whole was bad and our run based offense which Taylor was key to was #1 in rushing. He also had only 6 INTs so he didn't hurt the team or put the defense in bad spots.

Imagine how good our offense would have been with a decent quarterback.

Joe Fo Sho
03-08-2017, 12:15 PM
Important to note they were ranked even higher in Points Per Drive I believe. And ranked lower on D in Points Per Drive.

A much more accurate metric IMO as it doesn't get affected by TOP

Brees has a terrible defense....throws for 5,000 yards, 40 TDs.

Tyrod has a bad defense...."well you can't expect him to put up numbers if the defense is so bad."

DesertFox24
03-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Why could we not try Nick Oleary as this fullback option? or just draft the Engram kid out of Ole Miss?

Whatever wake me up in 4 years when we get a new coach and GM.

The last buffalo fan
03-08-2017, 12:37 PM
They were 30th in passing! Despite having the #1 run offense and playing the 2nd-easiest schedule for pass defense. Upgrading the QB is closer to a certainty than an impossibility.
We were "so good" on the run, that pass statitics "were afected". I'm sure that we need to get better and take advantage from run O, on pass O.

jimmifli
03-08-2017, 12:39 PM
They were 30th in passing!
And dead last in pass attempts.

The Jokeman
03-08-2017, 01:10 PM
Sure is hard to get excited about a FB, though it seems like he can do a lot more than just block. 78 receptions over two years is not far off from some TE's. Not a bad deal to have someone versatile who isn't a tell for run vs. pass.

Would seem to make Charles Clay redundant. Maybe they're hoping to use them both together, though, who knows.

Considering, when healthy, Dennis Pitta did well in Baltimore as did the TEs in Denver am sure both will be used.

Mouldsie
03-08-2017, 01:13 PM
Ha, that's a lot of love for one of the worst ranked passing attacks in the NFL. Not like it's a passing league or anything. It is, however, nice to see you blaming receivers when we had a QB who refused to throw them the ball.

Blaming Carpenter for 9 losses is a joke as well. Nice try, though.

9 losses pinned on Dareus is rough.

Brees has a terrible defense....throws for 5,000 yards, 40 TDs.

Tyrod has a bad defense...."well you can't expect him to put up numbers if the defense is so bad."

Nobody said any of what you said they said

Mouldsie
03-08-2017, 01:14 PM

Dig deeper man.
Then when you criticize you can do so thoughtfully.

psubills62
03-08-2017, 01:35 PM
Rotoworld also saying that Buffalo is one of the teams "in on" TE Martellus Bennett.

GingerP
03-08-2017, 02:17 PM
Looks like they signed Paul DiMarco of Atlanta instead to play FB. 4 Yrs/$8.5M.

Scumbag College
03-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Looks like they signed Paul DiMarco of Atlanta instead to play FB. 4 Yrs/$8.5M.

I just heard that too. I rather have the Polish kid from Harvard who seems to be more than just a lead blocker. Lead blocking FB has become pretty much a dinosaur in the NFL. Harvard Polish could add a bunch more to the offense.

Joe Fo Sho
03-08-2017, 02:37 PM
Nobody said any of what you said they said

I blame Tyrod more than anyone for 8 losses, so I assume that if you blame someone more than Tyrod you'd be putting 9 losses on that person.

YardRat
03-08-2017, 04:47 PM
San Fran, 4 years, $21mil.

Too rich for my blood.