PDA

View Full Version : Bills sign FB Mike Tolbert

The Jokeman
03-08-2017, 04:07 PM
Report: Bills agree to terms with Mike Tolbert
http://www.thescore.com/news/1249439
(via http://thesco.re/theScore_app ) off signing being we also added the former Falcons FB unless one of the reports is wrong?

DesertFox24
03-08-2017, 04:13 PM
face palm

YardRat
03-08-2017, 04:20 PM
So we signed two fullbacks?

X-Era
03-08-2017, 04:22 PM
So we signed two fullbacks?
No. We signed the best blocking FB last year and J Williams competition for the bruising RB/FB hybrid who will play on ST's

The Jokeman
03-08-2017, 04:36 PM
No. We signed the best blocking FB last year and J Williams competition for the bruising RB/FB hybrid who will play on ST's

Yay! We finally replaced Bobbie Dixon.

X-Era
03-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Yay! We finally replaced Bobbie Dixon.Who's Bobbie Dixon?

YardRat
03-08-2017, 04:42 PM
Who's Bobbie Dixon?

Boobie's brother. Along with Bubby, Bubba, Bobby, BooBoo and Vern (he was adopted).

streetkings01
03-08-2017, 04:43 PM
I'm convinced you guys complain just to complain! Have you guys even watched Tolbert at all? He's definitely more running back then he is fullback. Looks like McDermott wants versatility in the backfield.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz8NIkqo77A

YardRat
03-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Jusczyzk is signing with 49ers.

X-Era
03-08-2017, 04:45 PM
for 4 yrs and 21 mill. I'd rather take the best blocking FB last year at 4 yrs and 8.5 mill.

dogg
03-08-2017, 04:51 PM
Upgrade. Reunited with coach.

Been awhile since ive been here. hello again.

EDS
03-08-2017, 04:58 PM
Is Gillislee gone? If so this makes sense, otherwise I would rather just pay a rookie or draft pick to be my third string back.

Mace
03-08-2017, 05:02 PM

Shame. If we'd have locked him up and gotten Felton back, no one else could have any fullbacks.

Night Train
03-08-2017, 05:08 PM
3rd and short. Near the goal line.

He gets the ball. A tank.

Scumbag College
03-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Shame. If we'd have locked him up and gotten Felton back, no one else could have any fullbacks.

0 WR
0 TE
0 RB
5 FB

Try to stop that five FB set, Opposing Defensive Coordinators!

DraftBoy
03-08-2017, 05:09 PM
I'm assuming they are bringing in Tolbert as a short-yardage goal line back. Neither McCoy or Gilly has been effective in converting in those scenarios.

jimmifli
03-08-2017, 05:09 PM
BEEFY.

Mace
03-08-2017, 05:15 PM
I'm assuming they are bringing in Tolbert as a short-yardage goal line back. Neither McCoy or Gilly has been effective in converting in those scenarios.

Yep :

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18856681/buffalo-bills-sign-mike-tolbert-rb-not-fb

I still like Scumbag College's 5 fb set idea though.

Ed
03-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Is Gillislee gone? If so this makes sense, otherwise I would rather just pay a rookie or draft pick to be my third string back.
Gillislee was tendered as a RFA, so if a team offers him a deal the Bills have the right to match it, or the team that signs him has to give up a 5th round draft pick. There's some speculation that the Pats could pursue Gillislee, but I think there's a good chance the Bills would match unless the money is just too crazy.

I don't think Tolbert will be a 3rd string back, but a situational role player and special teamer. I think Jonathan Williams would be the third string back and fill in as the featured runner if McCoy and Gillislee went down.

Mace
03-08-2017, 05:47 PM
I think Jonathan Williams would be the third string back and fill in as the featured runner if McCoy and Gillislee went down.

At least until camp when he could lose his job to a UDFA. I don't think J. Williams is going to last very long.

Ed
03-08-2017, 06:08 PM
I'm convinced you guys complain just to complain! Have you guys even watched Tolbert at all? He's definitely more running back then he is fullback. Looks like McDermott wants versatility in the backfield.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz8NIkqo77A
He looks surprisingly quick and agile for such a big dude.

EDS
03-08-2017, 06:44 PM
Gillislee was tendered as a RFA, so if a team offers him a deal the Bills have the right to match it, or the team that signs him has to give up a 5th round draft pick. There's some speculation that the Pats could pursue Gillislee, but I think there's a good chance the Bills would match unless the money is just too crazy.

I don't think Tolbert will be a 3rd string back, but a situational role player and special teamer. I think Jonathan Williams would be the third string back and fill in as the featured runner if McCoy and Gillislee went down.

Yes, situational role player and special teamer sounds much better than third string running back . . .

Ed
03-08-2017, 07:05 PM
Yes, situational role player and special teamer sounds much better than third string running back . . .
I'm not implying one sounds better over the other. I'm saying that I don't think Tolbert is going to be a typical backup RB. Someone questioned why sign Tolbert as opposed to just drafting another RB or signing an UDFA. I think Tolbert is going to have a specific role that differs from that of a Jonathan Williams or similar RB.

The Jokeman
03-08-2017, 07:18 PM
I doubt Tolbert got significant money and might not even make the final 53 man roster. Low risk signing.

Mace
03-08-2017, 07:25 PM
I doubt Tolbert got significant money and might not even make the final 53 man roster. Low risk signing.

Think I read vet minimum somewhere. I'd honestly hang onto him.

psubills62
03-08-2017, 08:04 PM
I could be wrong, but if Gillislee hasn't signed his tender, Buffalo could rescind it (if they'd even want to).

Mahdi
03-09-2017, 07:30 AM

Gillislee was pretty consistent with short yardage and goal line last season.

He was the guy punching them in from inside the 5 and was also getting a lot of 3rd and 1s converted.

DraftBoy
03-09-2017, 08:12 AM
Gillislee was pretty consistent with short yardage and goal line last season.

He was the guy punching them in from inside the 5 and was also getting a lot of 3rd and 1s converted.

Fair enough, but I think they envision him in an even larger role next year and don't want him to take the pounding that can come when going up against a stacked box.

I know Gilly led the league in First Down conversion at 38.6%, but he also only had 101 attempts. I could see him at closer to 200 this coming season.

EDS
03-09-2017, 08:23 AM
Fair enough, but I think they envision him in an even larger role next year and don't want him to take the pounding that can come when going up against a stacked box.

I know Gilly led the league in First Down conversion at 38.6%, but he also only had 101 attempts. I could see him at closer to 200 this coming season.

McCoy has only averaged about 215 carries per year with the Bills (which obviously is way down from his 300 carry work load in Philly). There are only so many carries to go around.

don137
03-09-2017, 09:12 AM
I have season tickets to Panthers so I am fairly familiar with Tolbert. He is a shadow of his former self. He started to digress two years ago and his play was downright bad last year. He missed a lot of blocks last year in critical situations, he was very unreliable when he was given the ball in short yardage situations and he slowed down significantly.
He is a great guy that was very popular with the fans and in the locker room. Panther fans said his time has come when they cut him.

EDS
03-09-2017, 09:49 AM
I have season tickets to Panthers so I am fairly familiar with Tolbert. He is a shadow of his former self. He started to digress two years ago and his play was downright bad last year. He missed a lot of blocks last year in critical situations, he was very unreliable when he was given the ball in short yardage situations and he slowed down significantly.
He is a great guy that was very popular with the fans and in the locker room. Panther fans said his time has come when they cut him.

Perfect.

Thurmal
03-09-2017, 09:55 AM
One rushing TD over the last three seasons. I hope he wears a number other than 20 so I don't confuse him with Barry Sanders.

streetkings01
03-09-2017, 09:59 AM
One rushing TD over the last three seasons. I hope he wears a number other than 20 so I don't confuse him with Barry Sanders.When you have Cam Newton and Stewart how many rushing touchdowns would he possibly get?