• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Bills are arguably in the worst cap position of any NFL team

A real-time look at the 2024 salary cap totals for each NFL team, including estimated cap space.

Only 48 players under contract (lowest in the league). 19th ranked in cap space, if they don't ace this off-season we're in for a rough couple of years.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• Cali512
    • Jan 2012

Re: Bills are arguably in the worst cap position of any NFL team

Last year Whaley signed 2 pro bowlers for vet minimum. Previously he made some great trades. Hunter also came in and had a few TDs, so I have faith in Whaley to escape this year again unharmed.

We definitely need to do something about Clays contract, along with Dareus.
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
      • Mar 2004

They just signed 2 safeties. So that need looks filled for the time being.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

I'll wait to see how the entire off-season plays out before playing taps.

They are filling a lot of needs rather quickly. WR, OLB, CB looks like the main remaining needs. Draft and FA can solve that. Seem to have the room.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• The King
          Without me it's just Awe so
          • Jun 2004

Oddly enough they outbid GB for Hyde who is actually in a better spot than BUF cap wise, but second worst in terms of contracts.
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by The King View Post
            Oddly enough they outbid GB for Hyde who is actually in a better spot than BUF cap wise, but second worst in terms of contracts.
            I'm guessing more cuts could be coming. Corey Graham, Eric Wood stand out as targets. Then some cap relief redo's with a few others.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Only 48 players under contract (lowest in the league). 19th ranked in cap space, if they don't ace this off-season we're in for a rough couple of years.
              We've been in a rough spot for 17 years. But with the signings of a couple of decent safeties, Houshka to replace Carpenter, and the re-signing of Schmidt, we're not too bad. WR, RT and CB still need help, and maybe LB. But Lawson and Ragland could fill some needs, as could Listenbee at WR.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• BillsFanCupp38
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
                Last year Whaley signed 2 pro bowlers for vet minimum. Previously he made some great trades. Hunter also came in and had a few TDs, so I have faith in Whaley to escape this year again unharmed.

We definitely need to do something about Clays contract, along with Dareus.
                Agreed. More so Clay's than Darius
                Jeremy Cupp

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

This year may be a step or two back, but next year = playoffs. Book it.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                    • Jun 2024

TRUE

Comment

• Swiper
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2010

More good planning by Terry Pegula and his people.

Comment

• Swiper
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                        This year may be a step or two back, but next year = playoffs. Book it.
                        If I only had a nickel for every time I've read this over the past 18 years.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                          If I only had a nickel for every time I've read this over the past 18 years.
                          Yeah, me too. But this time I'm the one that's saying it so it's better.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Buddo
                            • Mar 2007

I like the fact that they made a needed acquisition or two early. Particularly Hyde. And the other Safety.

I'm also on board with the two FBs. One the best blocking FB in the NFL, the other guy a definite 3rd and short guy, who can give them an additional wrinkle at the goal line, if both he and Shady are on the field. Is he blocking for Shady, or is he powering over? You can possibly get a miss match by slipping Shady out wide, and shoveling it to him with a fake hand off also.

Still plenty of holes to fill, but I'm starting to get a sense of a genuine plan being in place to give them the most options come the draft.

They were apparently looking at a Bucs WR and STs ace, (Russell Shepard) who seemingly fits exactly the profile McDermott wants, i.e. high character, team guy, who just loves the game, but it seems our new HCs old team have beaten us to the punch. Could have been a useful #3 WR and STs guy for us. Wouldn't have cost that much either.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                              • Mar 2004

How much do they save by cutting Clay? He's useless, and they can get just as much productivity out of someone a fraction of this cost, IMO

Comment

Working...
                              X