PDA

View Full Version : Itll be OJ Howard

Cali512
03-09-2017, 10:00 PM
Mark my words. It will be OJ Howard in the first

I'm basing this on our active pursuit of a tight end and report that Whaley was enamored by him at the combine. As long as we sign a WR and don't sign a TE, I'd bet money on Howard

He also fits the select few schools that Whaley prefers

bleve
03-09-2017, 10:05 PM
I'm no GM, but wouldn't this be another Watkins type of pick? Our starting QB can't find open receivers now, putting more of them on the field won't fix that.

Cali512
03-09-2017, 10:11 PM
Can we please stop saying this? By this logic we should forfeit the next 3 seasons. It's just dumb logic, and we have a fully new coaching staff. Rex Ryan flat out said he wants a run based offense with low turnovers. You know where most turnovers happen? In the hashmarks. Tyrod was never a safe QB, as a QB when being told to not commit turnovers your not going to throw WRs open, your not going to throw into coverage, and your going to run more.

YardRat
03-10-2017, 06:08 AM
Still don't like TE's in the first, but I may make an exception this year. Would rather go oline or defense, but the oline talent is thin this draft.

Night Train
03-10-2017, 06:44 AM
Yup. Based on a mock draft updated yesterday.

If you throw enough darts..

We'll see. He has talent but we need OLB's far more.

Why get all these receiving weapons with TT still here, with an obvious plan to run the ball heavy again ?

Kenny
03-10-2017, 07:06 AM
I hope not. I know Clay hasnt lived up to his contract, but I'd like to see how he does in this new system (I think he was the OC when Owen Daniels was still a top TE?)

He's a luxury pick, and we've got more important positions to try and upgrade.

Joe Fo Sho
03-10-2017, 08:07 AM
Can we please stop saying this? By this logic we should forfeit the next 3 seasons. It's just dumb logic, and we have a fully new coaching staff.

No, we can't stop saying it. It's not dumb logic when it's true. We'd be better off putting our resources towards defense and offensive line with a QB like Tyrod. Paying big money for a top WR or TE in free agency is a waste of money, and drafting a WR or TE at #10 is a wasteful use of the pick. Using a lot of resources on a guy who'll catch at best 50 passes is stupid. We have a TE who can catch 50 passes, and any WR in the NFL can do that, too.

Tyrod was never a safe QB, as a QB when being told to not commit turnovers you're not going to throw WRs open, you're not going to throw into coverage, and you're going to run more.

...and you're going to be boring, and you're going to win 7 games.

Forward_Lateral
03-10-2017, 08:33 AM
Is OJ Howard a good run blocker?

TigerJ
03-10-2017, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't rule Howard out at #10. As per usual, Buffalo is working in free agency to fill obvious holes so they are in a better position in the draft to draft BPA. Howard might not be on some observers' draft board as BPA at #10, but he could easily end up there for Whaley.

TigerJ
03-10-2017, 10:29 AM
Is OJ Howard a good run blocker?I think he is better than most TEs coming out of college, due mostly to Nick Saban's atmosphere of discipline on the field (not necessarily off the field). The big thing is he combines speed with catch radius. At 6'6" he runs as fast as most WRs not named John Ross. Compared with Clay, he's faster with a lot more length.

Thurmal
03-10-2017, 10:40 AM
We have a good TE that we never throw to right now!

This would be like buying a second surfboard when you live on a farm in Iowa.

Dr. Who
03-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Yup. Based on a mock draft updated yesterday.

If you throw enough darts..

We'll see. He has talent but we need OLB's far more.

Why get all these receiving weapons with TT still here, with an obvious plan to run the ball heavy again ?

Apparently McDermott is talking about needing only two lbs most of the time because teams play nickel 60% of the time.
My guess is WR or CB is most likely at #10, but Howard is probably a dark horse possibility.
My view is this is deep draft for TE. I wouldn't allocate #10 to the position.

Forward_Lateral
03-10-2017, 10:52 AM
If they pick a TE at 10, I won't watch a down of Bills football this year.

kishoph
03-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Can we please stop saying this? By this logic we should forfeit the next 3 seasons. It's just dumb logic, and we have a fully new coaching staff. Rex Ryan flat out said he wants a run based offense with low turnovers. You know where most turnovers happen? In the hashmarks. Tyrod was never a safe QB, as a QB when being told to not commit turnovers your not going to throw WRs open, your not going to throw into coverage, and your going to run more.

Do we know that Taylor was ever told this, I remember the opposite being said by both Roman and Lynn.

JoeMama
03-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Hey if we do draft OJ Howard, at least we'll finally have a non-murdering OJ associated with our team.

Great optics, amirite?

Cali512
03-10-2017, 12:04 PM
No, we can't stop saying it. It's not dumb logic when it's true. We'd be better off putting our resources towards defense and offensive line with a QB like Tyrod. Paying big money for a top WR or TE in free agency is a waste of money, and drafting a WR or TE at #10 is a wasteful use of the pick. Using a lot of resources on a guy who'll catch at best 50 passes is stupid. We have a TE who can catch 50 passes, and any WR in the NFL can do that, too.

...and you're going to be boring, and you're going to win 7 games.

It's dumb logic when you don't take in any variables of the type of offense our coach wanted. Yes its extremely dumb logic

- - - Updated - - -

Do we know that Taylor was ever told this, I remember the opposite being said by both Roman and Lynn.

Rex said it. And please post the roman quote you are referring to, I'd love to see it.

Also Lynns quote was just stating that they would like to see him throw in the middle more, he didn't say Tyrod needs to start throwing into coverage and throwing guys open.

Our game plan was not meant to put the ball in harms way, as a QB how do you avoid doing that? Throwing at the hashs and only to open WRs. For the 100000000s time, watch Tyrod in college and in Baltimore and please tell me that he wasn't a risk taker. This staff made him be conservative

Cali512
03-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Hey if we do draft OJ Howard, at least we'll finally have a non-murdering OJ associated with our team.

Great optics, amirite?

First multi td game and someone posts, OJ is killing it out there

Joe Fo Sho
03-10-2017, 12:16 PM
It's dumb logic when you don't take in any variables of the type of offense our coach wanted. Yes its extremely dumb logic

It's also dumb logic to not take into account Tyrod's regression over the last year. It's extremely dumb logic.

Cali512
03-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Yup so I guess all the tape of our scheme was burned after year one? Yup I guess that's it. Also he didn't really regress, he stayed the exact same if you take in account the teams we played especially. Give Tyrod a game plan with no limitations and then we will have a serious discussion, until then, give Tyrod the same excuse that we give our whole defense, OL, TEs, and WRs. They all regressed under Ryans tenure

Cali512
03-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Quarterbacks rarely if ever change everything about how they play, scan the field, and move from game to game. Tyrod did. Some games he noticeably do a one read and run mentality. Other games he would snap the ball, scan the field, move around and throw. That showed that he was being told certain things during certain games.

Also it was reported that Dennison and McDermott are the ones who wanted to keep Tyrod. Which finally proves me right, so stfu with the Tyrod hate

Cali512
03-10-2017, 12:41 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1BPfNpAWXW8

McDermott and Dennison wouldn't of attempted to keep him if they thought he was the problem. They obviously heard about the same things people with eyes saw, and knew they could work with his talents

Ed
03-10-2017, 12:45 PM
OJ Howard is an intriguing talent, but I've read that scouts question his passion and desire to play the game. That's never good.

We'll have to see how free agency plays out, but I think there are more important positions to address and potentially better players available at #10. Considering we already have Clay and the TE position has some depth in the draft, I hope they go in a different direction. If they do want OJ, I'd like to see them trade back in the first and get another pick or two.

Mouldsie
03-10-2017, 12:47 PM
I'd be good with that assuming Solomon Thomas is off the board.

Joe Fo Sho
03-10-2017, 01:24 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1BPfNpAWXW8

McDermott and Dennison wouldn't of attempted to keep him if they thought he was the problem. They obviously heard about the same things people with eyes saw, and knew they could work with his talents

McDermott wouldn't have resigned Tyrod if they thought he was the problem.
Rex wouldn't have signed Tyrod if he didn't think he could win with him.
Marrone wouldn't have drafted EJ if he didn't think we was worth a 1st round pick.
Gailey wouldn't have started Fitzpatrick if he didn't think we could get a playoff berth with him.
Jauron wouldn't have drafted Edwards if he didn't think he was capable of being a starter.
Mularkey wouldn't have traded back into the 1st for JP if he wasn't worth it.
Williams wouldn't have traded for Bledsoe if he didn't have some good play left in him.
Phillips ----> Rob Johnson
Levy ----> Todd Collins

Do you see why your logic is flawed yet?

Cali512
03-10-2017, 01:32 PM
So by this logic. Even if YOU were a bills front office member, as soon as the words buffalo bills were inkd into your contract, you would lose all knowledge of football

Because that's what your saying right? Because of the failures of other people, who came from different families, different backgrounds, at different times, then McDermott all of a sudden has lost everything he knows and will just magically mold into a past retread

By this logic, why be a bills fan?

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because the one thing that stands out differently than your list, is winners. Both of our coaches went head to head in a superbowl a few years ago. They know what they want, and have proven enough to give them the benefit of the doubt. They are the buffalo bills coaches, Tyrod will be our QB like it or not. As a bills fan, ill judge when the season comes, but right now I can see everyone's mind set and wish them success. If it doesn't pan out, who gives a ****, my opinion isn't the reason

Joe Fo Sho
03-10-2017, 01:56 PM
So by this logic. Even if YOU were a bills front office member, as soon as the words buffalo bills were inkd into your contract, you would lose all knowledge of football

Because that's what your saying right? Because of the failures of other people, who came from different families, different backgrounds, at different times, then McDermott all of a sudden has lost everything he knows and will just magically mold into a past retread

By this logic, why be a bills fan?

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because the one thing that stands out differently than your list, is winners. Both of our coaches went head to head in a superbowl a few years ago. They know what they want, and have proven enough to give them the benefit of the doubt. They are the buffalo bills coaches, Tyrod will be our QB like it or not. As a bills fan, ill judge when the season comes, but right now I can see everyone's mind set and wish them success. If it doesn't pan out, who gives a ****, my opinion isn't the reason

Holy crap, you must be like 16 years old.

The point is that the head coach of any team is not always right just because you want them to be. You giving them the benefit of the doubt doesn't make it true. This is something that homers are known for doing. If anything, this team has proved itself not to be smarter than anyone else.

"McDermott was just in the Superbowl in Carolina!"
"Rex went to back to back AFC Championships!"
"Marrone turned around SU's program!"
"Gailey was recommended by Bill Cowher!"
"Jauron won 13 games with Chicago!"
"Mularkey has 8 years of experience with the mighty Steelers!"
"Williams had the #1 defense in Tennessee!"
"Wade was just in the Superbowl in Denver!"

Do you see how you can make this type of argument for pretty much any coach ever? It means nothing.

Cali512
03-10-2017, 02:17 PM
Okay so you win when we suck another 3-4 years. I win when the buffalo bills make the playoffs

What do you accomplish here?

Also McDermotts and Dennisons success destroys all those accomplishments. It was far fetched to think Gailey was actually a winner, that Marrone would have any success here, that Rexs dumater fire for 4 years was irrelevant, that Jaurons one good season meant he was a good coach, or that Mularky was great just because he was with the Steelers. McDermott and Dennison have been around winners, and were top dogs on those teams. McDermott gets most of the credit for the panthers D, and Dennison has proved to be a smart and capable OC.

Cali512
03-10-2017, 02:22 PM
I just don't get why any fan would go out of their way to bash another fan for having faith in their coaching staff. You should honestly follow a new team because in the end, who gives a **** who's right or not. At least I can be happy throughout the process

JoeMama
03-10-2017, 02:33 PM
I just don't get why any fan would go out of their way to bash another fan for having faith in their coaching staff. You should honestly follow a new team because in the end, who gives a **** who's right or not. At least I can be happy throughout the process

McDermott has quietly assembled a capable group of coaches, that's a fair enough statement.

I think the shadow looming over MccyD and his staff is will they be given the tools to succeed given how incompetent and short sighted our front office is?

MccyD has to work in a really bad atmosphere with a culture of non-stop failure.

He deserves a fair shake but let's not pretend he's not going to be extremely handicapped by the losers at the top of the food chain.

Joe Fo Sho
03-10-2017, 02:37 PM
Okay so you win when we suck another 3-4 years. I win when the buffalo bills make the playoffs

We all win when the Bills make the playoffs.

What do you accomplish here?

This is a fan forum to waste time. What are any of us accomplishing here?

coastal
03-10-2017, 02:39 PM
Our QB can't attack the middle of the field... oh I know... waste big money on a TE who sucks and draft one in the first round.

thatll fix it.

Oh wait...

18 and 19 coming up!

Joe Fo Sho
03-10-2017, 02:43 PM
You should honestly follow a new team

No thanks.

who gives a **** who's right or not

When you responded to me, I figured you wanted to discuss it.

Cali512
03-10-2017, 03:24 PM
No thanks.

When you responded to me, I figured you wanted to discuss it.

The discussion was about why I think McDermott deserves the benefit of the doubt. You wanted to argue that point

- - - Updated - - -

McDermott has quietly assembled a capable group of coaches, that's a fair enough statement.

I think the shadow looming over MccyD and his staff is will they be given the tools to succeed given how incompetent and short sighted our front office is?

MccyD has to work in a really bad atmosphere with a culture of non-stop failure.

He deserves a fair shake but let's not pretend he's not going to be extremely handicapped by the losers at the top of the food chain.

Fairest statement in this thread. Good job

Joe Fo Sho
03-10-2017, 03:30 PM
The discussion was about why I think McDermott deserves the benefit of the doubt. You wanted to argue that point

I thought the argument was about why OJ Howard in the 1st is a terrible idea?

Forward_Lateral
03-10-2017, 03:35 PM

Because some of us have watched 20+ seasons of ineptitude and are sick and tired of hearing the same old story every time a new coach is brought in. If someone kicks you in the balls at the same time every day, are you going to keep returning to that spot and expect something else to happen?

Cali512
03-10-2017, 03:46 PM
I thought the argument was about why OJ Howard in the 1st is a terrible idea?

And I just won the argument thank you very much

You are changing the narrative of the argument. I initially posted about Howard, you responded talking about why we wouldn't use him properly. The conversation since has been why we should trust our coaching staff to use him properly.

You are changing the narrative to benefit each of your arguments which is a desperate move

The Jokeman
03-10-2017, 04:33 PM
Mark my words. It will be OJ Howard in the first

I'm basing this on our active pursuit of a tight end and report that Whaley was enamored by him at the combine. As long as we sign a WR and don't sign a TE, I'd bet money on Howard

He also fits the select few schools that Whaley prefers

If this draft didn't have so many quality TEs it could be debated but we could get a good one in round 2 too.

kingJofNYC
03-10-2017, 06:13 PM
If this draft didn't have so many quality TEs it could be debated but we could get a good one in round 2 too.
I agree with you, but this is a Whaley type pick. Crazy athlete with tons of upside. Njoku is no slouch, can always move down and pick him up along with an extra pick. Have a feeling they won't move around, they never do.

Kittle is another athletic guy with excellent run blocking ability. Great class overall.

Night Train
03-11-2017, 06:11 AM
I agree with you, but this is a Whaley type pick.

Agree with you but it's looking like our new coach has more say than our GM, which is fine by me.

He's from the D side of the ball and our depth chart shows no real OLB's, at present.. That's probably a good guess for Round 1.

Jan Reimers
03-11-2017, 06:28 AM
I'd love WR Mike Williams in the first, if no team is smart enough to take him before us. He looks like a game-breaker to me.

Joe Fo Sho
03-11-2017, 12:31 PM
And I just won the argument thank you very much

You are changing the narrative of the argument. I initially posted about Howard, you responded talking about why we wouldn't use him properly. The conversation since has been why we should trust our coaching staff to use him properly.

You are changing the narrative to benefit each of your arguments which is a desperate move

It's all directly related to the ignorant idea that we're drafting OJ Howard at #10. I responded to you crying about someone else saying that Tyrod is the reason we shouldn't draft him. I just want to make you feel better about the Bills next year in Madden not having a good 2 TE set.

Cali512
03-11-2017, 02:06 PM
You caught me. I was really really excited to use OJ Howard in madden, and my ignorance tricked me into thinking I could finally do that. I guess I have to go to plan B, and make Cordy Glenn our starting TE

JoeMama
03-11-2017, 02:38 PM
You caught me. I was really really excited to use OJ Howard in madden, and my ignorance tricked me into thinking I could finally do that. I guess I have to go to plan B, and make Cordy Glenn our starting TE

Why move Cordy Glenn to TE when you can just cut him and sign even more fullbacks like the real-life Bills would do!

BillsImpossible
03-11-2017, 04:17 PM
OJ Howard is an intriguing talent, but I've read that scouts question his passion and desire to play the game.

If Howard lacked passion and desire to play football, Nick Saban would have seen right through that in a nanosecond.

At 6'6 and 242 lbs, Howard has excellent speed for a player that big.

He's a Tight End, but I'm thinking the Bills may have plans to use Howard as their #2 WR....

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CgGCLCBwzHU?ecver=2" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

Cali512
03-11-2017, 05:30 PM
Billsimpossible

Fair is fair so I have to bring this up

Dareus played for Bama

BillsImpossible
03-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Billsimpossible

Fair is fair so I have to bring this up

Dareus played for Bama

True. Fair point. How many people around Dareus have died since he left the Tide?

Dareus' circumstance is very unique. Everyone he has ever loved has passed away.

$100 million can't buy happiness, or bring back his family and friends that he's lost.

If any fan base in the NFL can be like family to a player, it's us.

Cali512
03-11-2017, 06:40 PM
Firstly, and I know i may sound like a dick for saying this. But its been a few years, and most athletes would take this as motivation. His issues have been failing constant drug tests, showing up overweight, and racing. All of which happened after he got his money. His motor was also questioned in college as he took plays off and had issues staying focused.

BillsImpossible
03-11-2017, 06:54 PM
I would have issues staying focused on football too if everyone I knew and loved died.

Let's get back to OJ Howard.

Do you think the Bills have plans on using him as a #2 WR?

Cali512
03-11-2017, 10:34 PM
Yeah that would be ideal. Most smaller QBs love TDs, especially mobile ones

But lastly on Dareus. Yes that is true, but his actions seem more on immaturity than drastic occurrences. He has been having drug issues since he came to buffalo, his racing wasn't due to the death. Showing up overweight might of, but still. This has been an on going issue but he gets a pass due to the deaths in his family. Eventually its not going to be an excuse for him, the NFL doesn't care why you fail drug tests, your failing drug tests.

kishoph
03-12-2017, 04:21 AM
I would have issues staying focused on football too if everyone I knew and loved died.

Let's get back to OJ Howard.

Do you think the Bills have plans on using him as a #2 WR?

Scouting reports say his route running along with getting off the line quickly are weaknesses. Those are pretty critical strengths that are needed to be a good WR IMO.

Cali512
03-12-2017, 10:32 AM
To be honest Gronk and Whitten don't have the most incredible acceleration. Their strengths are they can box out, and are creative with the subtle things when route running

Figster
03-12-2017, 01:11 PM
bama fan and I would love this pick,

Kenny
03-13-2017, 07:19 AM
I dont know. This would be a luxury pick if there ever was one.
Last time a TE was hyped this was much was Vernon Davis? that didnt turn out too well. Ebron hasnt turned into a game changer either.

And outside of Gronk, what player in the TE position really stands out vs. an elite WR? I'd rather go DB in round1, but if we're going offense, that pick would be better used on Mike Williams.