• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Culture Change

High Character Players, Talent and Intelligence.

That's what you're going to see over the next three months. It may not be flashy but it's a script and the Bills have not stuck to one of those in a long, long time.

If you listen to McDermott's PC from yesterday then you'll know this is the Future of the Bills.

This is actually pretty similar to what Saint Doug abandoned us on.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

Re: Culture Change

Originally posted by The King View Post
    High Character Players, Talent and Intelligence.

That's what you're going to see over the next three months. It may not be flashy but it's a script and the Bills have not stuck to one of those in a long, long time.

If you listen to McDermott's PC from yesterday then you'll know this is the Future of the Bills.

This is actually pretty similar to what Saint Doug abandoned us on.
    But McDermott's not the GM. And the players you just described are the antithesis of Whaley players.

I think McDermott would like to have that type of power, but I think he's going to have to fight Whaley tooth and nail.

All the more reason that keeping Whaley was absurd.

Comment

• Thurmal
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
      But McDermott's not the GM. And the players you just described are the antithesis of Whaley players.

I think McDermott would like to have that type of power, but I think he's going to have to fight Whaley tooth and nail.

I'm not even sure how much power Whaley even has. If all these leaks are to believed, it sounds like they have a (destined to fail) system where all decisions are made as a group, with the most leverage going to the executive/coach du jour that has Terry Pegula's ear at that particular time.
      "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• JoeMama
        Emotion Sickness
        • Oct 2002

The notion that this franchise is even remotely capable of a culture change is laughable.

Pegula is a noob. Whaley can't ID a decent QB to save his life. Brandon is the most toxic presence in a front office in the entire NFL.

McDermott seems like an okay guy but he has a three-headed demon to slay in order to succeed.

Tall order.
        Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Zero
          Primary Objective: Buffalo Bills- Super Bowl Champs
          • Oct 2004

Culture change will only begin to occur when someone purges the front office of the incompetent orchestrators of the debacle that is now being called "the drought". This list consists of talent evaluators, strength/conditioning coaches and a slew of 'yes' men bean-counters that surreptitiously make football related decisions while explicitly and vehemently denying that they do (see: Russ Brandon).

Until such a thing occurs any declaration that a "culture change is incoming" is pure lip-service. That is MHO, of course.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

If they want to truly change the culture, they need to clean house from top to bottom. That means start with Whaley all the way down to midget trainer.

Comment

• Buffalogic
              Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
              The notion that this franchise is even remotely capable of a culture change is laughable.

Pegula is a noob. Whaley can't ID a decent QB to save his life. Brandon is the most toxic presence in a front office in the entire NFL.

McDermott seems like an okay guy but he has a three-headed demon to slay in order to succeed.

Tall order.
              At least we aren't washington or san fran. We have some positives. I like the new direction.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

And the players you just described are the antithesis of Whaley players.
                who are they?
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• The King
                  Without me it's just Awe so
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Buffalogic View Post
                  At least we aren't washington or san fran. We have some positives. I like the new direction.
                  I do to but I don't like being compared to those disasters.
                  I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                  "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                  You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                  It was all
                  true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                  He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                  mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                    • Mar 2005

I think Doug is on a short leash. McDermott, unlike Jauron and all the other misfit coaches, seems like he is going to have input on the roster and culture. Polian already gave McDermott some praise and I know he talks to the Pegulas.

I'm obviously being an optimist.

Comment

• Swiper
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Buffalogic View Post
                      Both of those teams have won much more recently than the Bills have. However Jay Gruden must be livid.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                        Escaped Convict
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                        who are they?
                        They're not a "they" yet. "They" are the hypothetical players with characteristics described in the original post.

"They" are the opposite of Marcel Dareus.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by HHURRICANE View Post
                        I think Doug is on a short leash..
                        We can only hope.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

I like that McDermott is front and center, working on becoming the face of the franchise while Whaley is tucked safely behind the scenes. That's the way it should be. That being said, If Doug is working on bringing in McDermott's type of player (his guys) that's two consecutive coaches that Whaley has worked with in that manner. It's pretty obvious with free agency acquisitions, and I'm not going to hold Whaley responsible for ****nut Wreck's ineptitude. My only question is if the draft is handled in the same manner or if Whaley actually has the steering wheel for that process (which based on his track record he really shouldn't). I hope McDermott has just as much influence over who we're picking in April.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• JoeMama
                            Emotion Sickness
                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                            I like that McDermott is front and center, working on becoming the face of the franchise while Whaley is tucked safely behind the scenes. That's the way it should be. That being said, If Doug is working on bringing in McDermott's type of player (his guys) that's two consecutive coaches that Whaley has worked with in that manner. It's pretty obvious with free agency acquisitions, and I'm not going to hold Whaley responsible for ****nut Wreck's ineptitude. My only question is if the draft is handled in the same manner or if Whaley actually has the steering wheel for that process (which based on his track record he really shouldn't). I hope McDermott has just as much influence over who we're picking in April.
                            While Whaley is tucked safely behind the scenes, I hope he picks up a copy of "An Idiot's Guide to Drafting QBs".

Make himself useful with some casual reading.
                            Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

They're not a "they" yet. "They" are the hypothetical players with characteristics described in the original post.

"They" are the opposite of Marcel Dareus.
                              I meant who are the Whaley players who you sy are the antithesis of what was described in the OP?

Other than Dareus who really wasnt Whaleys draft pick but Ill give it to you since he re-signed him .
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X