PDA

View Full Version : Culture Change

The King
03-10-2017, 11:40 AM
High Character Players, Talent and Intelligence.

That's what you're going to see over the next three months. It may not be flashy but it's a script and the Bills have not stuck to one of those in a long, long time.

If you listen to McDermott's PC from yesterday then you'll know this is the Future of the Bills.

This is actually pretty similar to what Saint Doug abandoned us on.

WagonCircler
03-10-2017, 11:45 AM
High Character Players, Talent and Intelligence.

That's what you're going to see over the next three months. It may not be flashy but it's a script and the Bills have not stuck to one of those in a long, long time.

If you listen to McDermott's PC from yesterday then you'll know this is the Future of the Bills.

This is actually pretty similar to what Saint Doug abandoned us on.

But McDermott's not the GM. And the players you just described are the antithesis of Whaley players.

I think McDermott would like to have that type of power, but I think he's going to have to fight Whaley tooth and nail.

All the more reason that keeping Whaley was absurd.

Thurmal
03-10-2017, 11:51 AM
But McDermott's not the GM. And the players you just described are the antithesis of Whaley players.

I think McDermott would like to have that type of power, but I think he's going to have to fight Whaley tooth and nail.

I'm not even sure how much power Whaley even has. If all these leaks are to believed, it sounds like they have a (destined to fail) system where all decisions are made as a group, with the most leverage going to the executive/coach du jour that has Terry Pegula's ear at that particular time.

JoeMama
03-10-2017, 12:00 PM
The notion that this franchise is even remotely capable of a culture change is laughable.

Pegula is a noob. Whaley can't ID a decent QB to save his life. Brandon is the most toxic presence in a front office in the entire NFL.

McDermott seems like an okay guy but he has a three-headed demon to slay in order to succeed.

Tall order.

Zero
03-10-2017, 12:26 PM

Culture change will only begin to occur when someone purges the front office of the incompetent orchestrators of the debacle that is now being called "the drought". This list consists of talent evaluators, strength/conditioning coaches and a slew of 'yes' men bean-counters that surreptitiously make football related decisions while explicitly and vehemently denying that they do (see: Russ Brandon).

Until such a thing occurs any declaration that a "culture change is incoming" is pure lip-service. That is MHO, of course.

Forward_Lateral
03-10-2017, 12:30 PM
If they want to truly change the culture, they need to clean house from top to bottom. That means start with Whaley all the way down to midget trainer.

Buffalogic
03-10-2017, 12:31 PM
The notion that this franchise is even remotely capable of a culture change is laughable.

Pegula is a noob. Whaley can't ID a decent QB to save his life. Brandon is the most toxic presence in a front office in the entire NFL.

McDermott seems like an okay guy but he has a three-headed demon to slay in order to succeed.

Tall order.
At least we aren't washington or san fran. We have some positives. I like the new direction.

justasportsfan
03-10-2017, 12:47 PM
And the players you just described are the antithesis of Whaley players.

who are they?

The King
03-10-2017, 12:50 PM
At least we aren't washington or san fran. We have some positives. I like the new direction.
I do to but I don't like being compared to those disasters.

HHURRICANE
03-10-2017, 12:53 PM
I think Doug is on a short leash. McDermott, unlike Jauron and all the other misfit coaches, seems like he is going to have input on the roster and culture. Polian already gave McDermott some praise and I know he talks to the Pegulas.

I'm obviously being an optimist.

swiper
03-10-2017, 12:57 PM

Both of those teams have won much more recently than the Bills have. However Jay Gruden must be livid.

WagonCircler
03-10-2017, 01:33 PM
who are they?

They're not a "they" yet. "They" are the hypothetical players with characteristics described in the original post.

"They" are the opposite of Marcel Dareus.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Doug is on a short leash..

We can only hope.

YardRat
03-10-2017, 05:02 PM
I like that McDermott is front and center, working on becoming the face of the franchise while Whaley is tucked safely behind the scenes. That's the way it should be. That being said, If Doug is working on bringing in McDermott's type of player (his guys) that's two consecutive coaches that Whaley has worked with in that manner. It's pretty obvious with free agency acquisitions, and I'm not going to hold Whaley responsible for ****nut Wreck's ineptitude. My only question is if the draft is handled in the same manner or if Whaley actually has the steering wheel for that process (which based on his track record he really shouldn't). I hope McDermott has just as much influence over who we're picking in April.

JoeMama
03-10-2017, 05:34 PM
I like that McDermott is front and center, working on becoming the face of the franchise while Whaley is tucked safely behind the scenes. That's the way it should be. That being said, If Doug is working on bringing in McDermott's type of player (his guys) that's two consecutive coaches that Whaley has worked with in that manner. It's pretty obvious with free agency acquisitions, and I'm not going to hold Whaley responsible for ****nut Wreck's ineptitude. My only question is if the draft is handled in the same manner or if Whaley actually has the steering wheel for that process (which based on his track record he really shouldn't). I hope McDermott has just as much influence over who we're picking in April.

While Whaley is tucked safely behind the scenes, I hope he picks up a copy of "An Idiot's Guide to Drafting QBs".

Make himself useful with some casual reading.

justasportsfan
03-10-2017, 08:19 PM
They're not a "they" yet. "They" are the hypothetical players with characteristics described in the original post.

"They" are the opposite of Marcel Dareus.

I meant who are the Whaley players who you sy are the antithesis of what was described in the OP?

Other than Dareus who really wasnt Whaleys draft pick but Ill give it to you since he re-signed him .

Mace
03-10-2017, 08:29 PM
I don't know. Maybe McDermott pulls it off. I hope so. I like McDermott. Maybe it works.

Maybe everyone else gets out of his way and gives him a shot because he's more experienced than Marrone and smarter than Ryan.

Maybe maybe maybe. Won't hurt me any to hope for better results for a while. If they don't happen ? Well, I've been there before and I'm used to it. I'll gripe about it later. Always plenty of time to.

SpikedLemonade
03-10-2017, 08:38 PM
Yes

Of course

A dumb Polack is going to change the Bills internal culture.

He cannot even spell that word.

WagonCircler
03-11-2017, 03:33 AM
I meant who are the Whaley players who you sy are the antithesis of what was described in the OP?

Other than Dareus who really wasnt Whaleys draft pick but Ill give it to you since he re-signed him .

Pretty much, at this point, the entire roster. From EJ, who was Whaley's boy from day one, to all of these dumb players who can't keep from having too many men on the field penalties, to the idiots who couldn't grasp Ryan's Defense, to the dumbass DB's and LBs.

Outside of maybe Wood and Woods, and Kyle Williams, this was/is basically a roster full of idiots.

Jan Reimers
03-11-2017, 05:08 AM
I think those of you that see Russ Brandon as some kind of evil Rasputin are wrong. You are whipping a dead horse. He is running the business side only, and running it well. The real issue is whether McDermott or Whaley is in charge of the football side, and the answer might very well be McDermott. He is now speaking as the "one voice" for the team, our FA signings seem to be a different breed from the usual Whaley bunch, and he has cleaned out the video games and pool table from the locker room.

The draft will tell us a lot about who is in control of football decisions.

justasportsfan
03-11-2017, 08:18 AM
Pretty much, at this point, the entire roster. From EJ, who was Whaley's boy from day one, to all of these dumb players who can't keep from having too many men on the field penalties, to the idiots who couldn't grasp Ryan's Defense, to the dumbass DB's and LBs.

Outside of maybe Wood and Woods, and Kyle Williams, this was/is basically a roster full of idiots.
Na. Too many men on the field is on the coach. If you think Whaley hasnt built a talented team thats fine. His biggest mistake is still Ej if EJ was his pick and not Nixs. And then theres Doug Marrone. Otherwise to say that his players are talentless, stupid and criminals is just and exaggeration because you dont like him. I dont think Whaley is Polian in his prime either but lets call a spade a spade.

Historian
03-11-2017, 08:59 AM
I think those of you that see Russ Brandon as some kind of evil Rasputin are wrong. You are whipping a dead horse. He is running the business side only, and running it well. The real issue is whether McDermott or Whaley is in charge of the football side, and the answer might very well be McDermott. He is now speaking as the "one voice" for the team, our FA signings seem to be a different breed from the usual Whaley bunch, and he has cleaned out the video games and pool table from the locker room.

Bull****.

He's the reason for 17.

HHURRICANE
03-11-2017, 09:24 AM
Na. Too many men on the field is on the coach. If you think Whaley hasnt built a talented team thats fine. His biggest mistake is still Ej if EJ was his pick and not Nixs. And then theres Doug Marrone. Otherwise to say that his players are talentless, stupid and criminals is just and exaggeration because you dont like him. I dont think Whaley is Polian in his prime either but lets call a spade a spade.

Shaq Lawson not seeing the field, Ragland, Karlos Williams getting cut, Listenbee, Dareus suspension, Sentreal Henderson not on the field, Watkins not on the field. You can call it bad luck but if you drafted and signed guys that don't see the field it's on you as the GM. This isn't about fairness but winning.

JoeMama
03-11-2017, 09:33 AM

The draft will tell us a lot about who is in control of football decisions.

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0906/godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm-face-palm-epic-fail-demotivational-poster-1245384435.jpg

Two things, Jan.

1) Terry Pegula admitted as recently as January that Russ Brandon is in the film room, that he works with the scouts, that he meets with potential coaches/players, etc etc. And Whaley has publicly stated he doesn't know what Brandon is in charge of, he just knows it's "a lot". Which falls in line with the idea that Brandon has more power than the GM and he's still pulling strings behind the scenes.

2) Given the popularity of the NFL and the realities of revenue sharing, a team has to literally try to not make money. It's not like Brandon is selling ice to an Eskimo. He's got the easiest job on the planet. NFL franchises are literally insulated from even a remote possibility of losing money.

Mouldsie
03-11-2017, 09:50 AM
I'm not even sure how much power Whaley even has. If all these leaks are to believed, it sounds like they have a (destined to fail) system where all decisions are made as a group, with the most leverage going to the executive/coach du jour that has Terry Pegula's ear at that particular time.

This

WagonCircler
03-11-2017, 03:11 PM

No, too many men on the field is a result of dumb players. Whaley loves football factory dumbass players from Alabama and Clemson and FSU. There's absolutely no nuance with him. He's in love with combine numbers and has little or no regard for character or intelligence.

swiper
03-11-2017, 03:26 PM
No, too many men on the field is a result of dumb players. Whaley loves football factory dumbass players from Alabama and Clemson and FSU. There's absolutely no nuance with him. He's in love with combine numbers and has little or no regard for character or intelligence.

If I didn't know better, I would read that as he likes black players better than white players.

sudzy
03-11-2017, 03:29 PM

Tall order.
Anyone that would work for the Three Stooges has to have a screw loose himself.

Mouldsie
03-11-2017, 04:34 PM

I keep wishing that this part were true.

justasportsfan
03-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Shaq Lawson not seeing the field, Ragland, Karlos Williams getting cut, Listenbee, Dareus suspension, Sentreal Henderson not on the field, Watkins not on the field. You can call it bad luck but if you drafted and signed guys that don't see the field it's on you as the GM. This isn't about fairness but winning.

Injuries has nothing to do wirh the characteristics mentioned in the OP HH.

justasportsfan
03-11-2017, 07:40 PM

No. When you have a million coaches making calls for a unit, players get confused. It was mentioned sonewhere that Rob Ryan made everything confusing for the D and that exactly what happened when he was the DC of the Saints.

These so called stupid players didnt have a problem under Schwartz , did they?

Please point out the players he drafted that were proven ro have bad characters? Were Kiko , Darby Watkins , stupid players ?

ublinkwescore
03-12-2017, 07:54 AM
Whaley should only be allowed to scout defensive players.

SpikedLemonade
03-12-2017, 09:12 AM
Culture change is NOT possible until Brandon and the rest of the front office is shown the door.

The Dumb Polack won't do that.