PDA

View Full Version : OL Ryan Groy drawing interest from other teams

Ed
03-10-2017, 11:42 AM
According to Rodak:
Bills restricted free agent G/C Ryan Groy has drawn interest from at least four teams, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Caplan. The Bills assigned Groy the original-round tender ($1.797 million), but he went I drafted so the Bills would receive no compensation if they did not match anither team's deal for Groy.

Hopefully another team doesn't offer him too much. I really like him as our primary interior backup. He can play all three positions and looked good filling in for Wood.

swiper
03-10-2017, 12:36 PM
Oy. And the Patriots are poised to take Justin Hunter from us too.

Buffalogic
03-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Don't want to lose Groy.

Jaybird
03-10-2017, 12:41 PM
Important to retain. Depth at all o line positions. I would throw a few extra bucks at him

Forward_Lateral
03-10-2017, 02:58 PM
Idiotic front office should've locked these guys up long ago.

ParanoidAndroid
03-10-2017, 03:06 PM
What draft pick level is he tendered at. BR said it was "original draft level" but that makes no sense. He was undrafted.

psubills62
03-10-2017, 03:12 PM
What draft pick level is he tendered at. BR said it was "original draft level" but that makes no sense. He was undrafted.
All it means is we have the right to match a contract he's offered by another team. If he's offered and we don't match, we get no draft pick compensation.

Sometimes seems strange how high or low a team tenders a player at. Seattle has a RT who started 13 games who was tendered at original draft level and he was undrafted as well. If they're a valued player, doesn't seem like a huge bump up to the second round tender level.

Forward_Lateral
03-10-2017, 03:12 PM

Good question. They get no compensation if he signs somewhere else, so not really sure WTF the purpose of the tender is

Goobylal
03-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Good question. They get no compensation if he signs somewhere else, so not really sure WTF the purpose of the tender is

It's to ensure the Bills can at least match any offer he gets.

Ed
03-10-2017, 03:24 PM
He's a restricted free agent, so tendering him an offer allows them to match any offer he receives from another team. The "original-round tender" means that if you lose that player you get compensated with a pick equal to the round that player was drafted. Since Groy wasn't drafted there is no compensation if a team signs him and the Bills refuse to match. Since Gillislee was originally a 5th round pick, the Bills would get a 5th round pick if he's signed by another team and allowed to leave.

You can choose to tender a player at a higher round then they were drafted, but the cost is higher if no one else offers them a contract.

Night Train
03-10-2017, 04:05 PM
He may be the best guy we currently have at Center and RT.

I hope he stays.

GingerP
03-10-2017, 04:18 PM
The difference between the low-tender (original draft compensation) and the 2nd-round comp tender is $900K. You would think that would be worth it to keep an OL experienced in their system who knows the team. They made this mistake with Chris Hogan a year ago.

mdcas22
03-10-2017, 04:22 PM
Im not sure Groy isn't as good as Wood at least you couldn't tell any difference between the 2. Id cut Wood and resign Groy and save a few mil on the cap.

YardRat
03-10-2017, 04:34 PM
I hope we keep him and the interest from other teams isn't too expensive.

JoeMama
03-10-2017, 04:42 PM
I would also like to keep Groy.

He's this century's Bill Conaty!

kingJofNYC
03-10-2017, 05:00 PM
He played pretty well all things considered. Small sample size for Groy, but I'll take him and his possible upside over Vlad D, who is a turnstile. Should have shelled out the cash to keep Groy safe.

Ed
03-10-2017, 05:15 PM
He played pretty well all things considered. Small sample size for Groy, but I'll take him and his possible upside over Vlad D, who is a turnstile. Should have shelled out the cash to keep Groy safe.
The Bills could still sign him to an extension. They don't have to wait for another team to make him an offer. And he's still relatively safe since the Bills have the option to match.

Buddo
03-10-2017, 05:26 PM
Imho, both of the tenders for Gillislee and Groy, were too low. For just $1.8 million extra, would mean you keep two players who have proven themselves to be valuable assets.

As I understand it, they have been trying to get a deal done with Gillislee, but if you tender him at the 2nd round level, you can still do that. It's also showing that you do want him, which is likely to make any negotiation a lot smoother.

With Groy, I think the FO was just trying to be smarter than everyone else, and it has come back to bite them in the rear. 7 games starting for the injured Wood, and although there was a bit of a wobble in his first one, iirc, there was nothing after that. Teams pay attention to that sort of thing, especially when it's in replacement duty for a well thought of vet, like Wood is.

Chances are now, that it will cost us more to keep both of them, than it would have done, if we had ponied up the extra $1.8 million.

I just wish they would learn from their mistakes in that respect. Especially when there are an awful lot of teams who are pretty flush when it comes to FA $.

While with Hogan las year, at the time they needed to tender him, it can be argued that money was very tight to the cap, so they really did take a chance, this year, they could have, and, imho, should have, afforded it, and removed chance from the game.

Turf
03-10-2017, 06:15 PM
When Woods got hurt I was like oh no. Then Groy steps in and he may have been better. They really need to keep him.

GingerP
03-10-2017, 06:50 PM
The Bills could still sign him to an extension. They don't have to wait for another team to make him an offer. And he's still relatively safe since the Bills have the option to match.

True, but he is negotiating from a position of greater strength because he can shop himself to other teams. He can go out and sign an offer sheet, and while the Bills have the right to match that other team can structure it in a way that is less attractive to the Bills. They basically handed him better negotiating position, because he has interest elsewhere.

YardRat
03-10-2017, 07:21 PM
True, but he is negotiating from a position of greater strength because he can shop himself to other teams. He can go out and sign an offer sheet, and while the Bills have the right to match that other team can structure it in a way that is less attractive to the Bills. They basically handed him better negotiating position, because he has interest elsewhere.

The other side of the coin is intentionally hanging a low tender with the expectation that an interested team will throw in a lower contract offer than if he were tendered at bigger dollars, thus making it less costly to match.

TigerJ
03-11-2017, 07:17 AM
Important to retain. Depth at all o line positions. I would throw a few extra bucks at himI believe once a team tenders a restricted free agent their hands are tied until the player signs the offer. Then they can negotiate a long term deal.

Skooby
03-11-2017, 09:18 AM
Hopefully we don't try to lock him down on a guaranteed contract until we see some more, then replace Wood with him.