Just curious, how many people want Tyrod to succeed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cali512
    • Jan 2012

Just curious, how many people want Tyrod to succeed?

There seems to be a general consensus that Tyrod is a bad QB around here. Not that he is average, or solid, but that he is a horrible QB. So I want to open the flood gates, and ask why?. Keep in mind that our coaching staff did mention they wanted a conservative style approach, and a QB who makes little mistakes. Also keep in mind that every single player on our team regressed the past 2 years, aside from our RBs. Along with almost every player being placed out of position and being used improperly.

Also, watch the Miami and Seattle games where the reins were obviously off, as Tyrod was not doing a one read and run playing style. Look at his eyes during these games, and how mechanical he looked during other games. I say this because as a QB, you rarely change the most basic styles at which you play. The one read and run style, I am almost 100% certain was what Rex wanted from his QB, as it allowed his D to be in position to win the game, and kept the QB from losing it.

Also keep in mind that almost every TD that we scored last year was followed by a TD from the opposing team.

So is Tyrod really a bad QB?

Also would you please rank him? Because I am seeing Hoyer, Glennon, and Brock brought up as viable starters.
    Last edited by Cali512; 03-10-2017, 03:41 PM.
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions
  • DesertFox24
    • Jul 2005

Re: Just curious, how many people want Tyrod to succeed?

Of course I want him to succeed. I just have not seen anything in 30 games to make me feel like he can be a QB to carry this team the playoffs let along the super bowl.

That said if he wants to play here at 9mil a year and we can use the extra 11 million to get better player we could get players around that could make us a playoff team once brady leaves, then he might not be the worst option.

That said I do not mind him as a bridge option but I want us to shoot for the next HOF QB every year in the draft until we get him.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
      • Mar 2004

Every Bills fan wants him to succeed and lead the Team to a superbowl. Unfortunately most of us have 2 eyes and watched him regress last year as a passer, and don't have a lot of faith that he can be anything other than a serviceable QB who won't lose you games.

Comment

• Cali512
        • Jan 2012

See I don't expect him to be a top 10, or even top 15 QB. I have routinely said that his ceiling is Alex Smith. His floor is a Hoyer type.

What is our goal with Tyrod as fans? For him to be a bridge QB while a young guy develops? That's my goal too. But it does seem like our fans hate him even playing this year, and act like the goal is for us to win the superbowl this year. We haven't made the playoffs in 20 yrs. I think as fans we should start off small with our hopes, lose a couple playoff games. Then once we have a foundation, expect the superbowl every year with our new hopefully elite QB.
        Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Cali512
          • Jan 2012

Forward lateral. What is your goal for buffalo the next 2-3 years?

Comment

• JoeMama
            Emotion Sickness
            • Oct 2002

Tyrod is good enough to be a game manager if our defense plays well enough that we don't need him to air it out on a weekly basis.

He's not a franchise QB. He's a stop gap. Problem is Whaley can't draft QBs for **** so they're just gonna keep asking Tyrod to do something he's not well equipped to do: throw a football.
            Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Thurmal
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
              Also, watch the Miami and Seattle games where the reins were obviously off
              They lost both of these games, just like virtually every other game where the Bills have been behind at any point since the Taylor era.

Look, the defense was awful last year and are probably most to blame for the drought continuing. But Taylor is a game-manager who doesn't see open receivers, avoids the middle of the field, and is too quick to leave the pocket, even when there is no rush.

He's probably been our best option under center since Bledsoe, but when I see opposing teams' defenses being interviewed about how they stopped him, and they answer, "We made him play quarterback," that would make me reticent about making him the franchise QB.

The restructuring was great, and I hope he makes the leap, because he is a good guy and really exciting to watch at times, but there are going to come times where the running game is stymied and the defense is giving up points, and he's going to have to win the game on his arm. He really hasn't done that yet.
              "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                • Sep 2009

Tyrod's a good guy, hard worker, does as much as he can with the talent given to him. I'm not going to actively root against him, his 2015 was pretty ****ing good, we're talking top 5 in franchise history when adjusted for era. I guess that speaks to how poorly this franchise has been at the most important position, but having Tyrod at QB and actively looking to improve at the position are not mutually exclusive, we can do both. Our problem has been organizational, top to bottom we've been a **** show, until we clean that up not much will change. Frankly, I'm glad we have Tyrod on the team, at least he's going to entertain us a bit, couldn't say that about some that last few QBs or any of the FA QBs besides Romo, who wasn't coming here to begin with.

Comment

• Cali512
                  • Jan 2012

My biggest thing about Tyrod, was I don't think he was allowed to make mistakes. Which means naturally there are parts of being QB you have to try and avoid. Which by this logic is also the majority of his complaints we see of fans of our team. Not throwing WRs open, not throwing in coverage, running to soon. I feel like Rex really played a part in his style

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

I wanted a change but understand the move. The 2018 draft has actual quality candidates at QB.

Of course I want him to succeed. I root for the laundry.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Swiper
                      • Sep 2010

It's like the original poster didn't watch him last season... Mace, it's time for you to repost that graphic where all his passes went. 90% of his completions were in that 5 - 9 yard button hook range or behind the line of scrimmage. He cannot and does not throw over the middle because he can't see over his line. He drops and runs too quick... He's got obvious tendencies. There is a book on him now for all DCs. So he's not fooling anyone anymore. He's Mike Vick light. He is not the answer. He was supposed to be a two year patch. Now he looks to be a 4 year patch. Whatever. He's better than Hoyer or Glennon. But much of what enamored Bills fans to TT was the fact that he was "just better than EJ Manuel." I don't like having such a low bar for a QB.

He's no #15 QB. He's 20-25 QB.
                      Last edited by swiper; 03-10-2017, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Thurmal
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
                        My biggest thing about Tyrod, was I don't think he was allowed to make mistakes. Which means naturally there are parts of being QB you have to try and avoid. Which by this logic is also the majority of his complaints we see of fans of our team. Not throwing WRs open, not throwing in coverage, running to soon. I feel like Rex really played a part in his style
                        This is the same thing Jauron did to Trent Edwards and it absolutely ruined him. He was totally shell-shocked by the end of his career and throwing two-yard dump-offs on 3rd and 17.
                        "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• Novacane
                          • Jul 2002

Of course we want him to succeed. I want my power ball ticket to hit tomorrow too! I'm not sure which has a better chance of happening!

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

I want him to succeed, I'm just not expecting him to be able to play at a much higher level than he's shown over the last two seasons.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                              • Jun 2024

Of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X