PDA

View Full Version : RT Andre Smith Visiting Bills Sunday

Night Train
03-11-2017, 10:13 AM
According to NFL Network. Played last year with Vikings. Long time Bengal. 1st Round pick in 2009.

Played last year on a 1 year deal for 3.5 Mil. Should not cost a lot.

JoeMama
03-11-2017, 10:16 AM
The Bengals switched him over to RT early in his career after it became obvious he was a bust at LT. And I suspect a lot of his shortcomings were masked by stellar play by the rest of the Bengals o-line over the years. He's always had a reputation for being low on motivation and not exactly a dedicated professional.

Plus, if you followed the Vikings last year, they had - arguably - the worst o-line in the NFL.

I'm not sure I'd take him even as a backup.

GingerP
03-11-2017, 10:26 AM
He is big, and I think it a good idea to invest in the lines. With the big backs they signed it looks like they will be pounding the ball.

Night Train
03-11-2017, 10:28 AM
Plus, if you followed the Vikings last year, .

He tore his tricep early in the 4th game and missed the rest of the year.

So if you followed the Vikings last year, you would know that.

JoeMama
03-11-2017, 10:29 AM
He tore his tricep early in the 4th game and missed the rest of the year.

So if you followed the Vikings last year, you would know that.

Ouch.

Touche!

He does suck pretty bad though. Their line was abysmal the first four games, same as the rest of the season. So I still stand by my evaluation of the guy.

Cali512
03-11-2017, 11:05 AM
Woahhhh lets have a reality check. Bradford played great his first 5 games and the team was off to a fast start. I can argue that Andre smiths Ol is what lead to Bradford struggling mid season

cookie G
03-11-2017, 11:07 AM
The Bengals switched him over to RT early in his career after it became obvious he was a bust at LT. And I suspect a lot of his shortcomings were masked by stellar play by the rest of the Bengals o-line over the years. He's always had a reputation for being low on motivation and not exactly a dedicated professional.

Plus, if you followed the Vikings last year, they had - arguably - the worst o-line in the NFL.

I'm not sure I'd take him even as a backup.

When he was moved to RT, he was actually very good.

But that was a few years ago. So yeah, I'm not sure about the signing, unless he shows up in great shape for the interview.

They were outbid on Wagner, but he might have gotten overpaid. Its a pretty weak draft class and outside of maybe DJ Fluker, the tackle market looks pretty weak.

I'm one of the few that would be willing to discuss moving Glenn to RT and putting Kujo in at LT, where he played lots better than on the right side. I'm willing to have 2 tackles rated in ..oh..the 70's, as opposed to one who is rated at 80 and the other at...30.

The right side is a huge hole in pass pro. They led the league in sacks/attempt, and a pure pocket passer, one who can't dodge people coming in untouched, they could have easily given up a dozen more sacks.

Night Train
03-11-2017, 11:10 AM
I have zero issues moving Glenn to RT. He already got his $.

Kujo can slide his feet well on the left side and cannot at all on the right. So be it.

tomz
03-11-2017, 11:24 AM
The weak tackle market is matched by a weak draft class so if they can plug this hole here it helps to orient the draft to the depth positions

Cali512
03-11-2017, 11:36 AM
We only need a RT. Wouldn't mind Smith

- - - Updated - - -

We only need a RT. Wouldn't mind Smith

YardRat
03-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Good to see they are addressing needs. I also am OK with moving Glenn to RT and KuJo at LT. Smith would be a nice back-up swing or RT starter in the event of an injury.

stuckincincy
03-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Smith was drafted #6 in the 1st round in 2009. He showed up overweight, and consistently claimed injury. In his first two years, he had 5 starts in 13 games.

He then played well as a contract year approached. Then...not so well.

With MIN's HC Mike Zimmer knowing about him, he was offered a one-year deal...and as mentioned above, lasted but 4 games.

Ed
03-11-2017, 08:00 PM
So now that Jordan Mills has re-signed is this visit still happening?

JoeMama
03-11-2017, 08:03 PM
Night Train pwned me super hard earlier in this thread. I'm still nursing that wound.

BUT

When I go out for Bills games I watch them with my buddy who's a Bengals fan so I also follow Cincy very closely.

And while Smith patched together some okay seasons earlier in his career (which I believe was attributed to an overall strong line masking his shortcomings), motivation, staying in shape, and professionalism have always been his Achilles heel.

I feel like he wouldn't amount to much here. Not after some weak later years in Cincy and getting injured in Minny.

stuckincincy
03-11-2017, 09:41 PM
I watched him play for 6 years. He' a contract year queen.

Pass.

coastal
03-12-2017, 12:44 AM
Can we kick him inside?

SpikedLemonade
03-12-2017, 06:07 AM
The more OL we look at the better.

tomz
03-12-2017, 10:12 AM
The more OL we look at the better.

Agree with this sentiment. Maybe this coaching staff has the opinion that their more disciplined approach can turn some of these guys around?

delectrolux
03-14-2017, 07:31 PM
Well the discussion is moot since he's returning to the Bengals...
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/14/andre-smith-returning-to-bengals/

JoeMama
03-14-2017, 07:47 PM
Phew, good.

Don't want his lazy ass here.

Bengals have lost their two best linemen to free agency so it makes sense they're desperate to sign whoever, even Andre Smith.

stuckincincy
03-17-2017, 09:05 PM
CIN inked him for $4.5M...sorta.

The deal is a $1.55 million signing bonus and a $1.25 million salary. Beyond that $2.8 million everything comes from bonuses and incentives.

I guess that ok for Moobs (his derogatory nickname when he was with Cincy..."manboobs") Word is, they are thinking of trying him at RG for the departed Kevin Zeitler.

He'd be tough to bull rush, OTHO, I can't see him pulling.

If history be our guide, he shows up overweight for camp, won't get into game shape by week 4, plays 4 games, then gets some sort of malady. :hurt: