PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Mills back

streetkings01
03-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter (https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter)
OT Jordan Mills reached agreement with Bills on a 2-year, $4 million deal, per source.

Ed
03-11-2017, 04:29 PM
That's a lot less than I would have expected. At that price I'm glad he's back. At the very least he provides solid depth. I'd still like to see Kouandjio or someone else starting as an upgrade though.

YardRat
03-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Hopefully he isn't the only olineman they retain, I'd like to keep Groy also. Apparently LA Rams are very interested in him though, plus a couple of other teams.

TigerJ
03-11-2017, 08:28 PM
The plain truth is that offensive tackle is weak this year both in free agency and in the draft. There are a few free agents who might have been an upgrade, but with the relative scarcity it becomes a sellers market and the Bills cap situation is tight. Hopefully, Mills can improve with a new line coach or Kouandjio can straighten out his footwork for the RT spot, but at least the Bills won't be any worse off this year than they've been at the RT spot, and maybe next year they can get better.

JoeMama
03-11-2017, 08:41 PM
Love the return of Mills. Can't ask for a better price.

Now nab Groy and I'm happy with our starters and backups going into 17.

Night Train
03-12-2017, 09:22 AM
Good grief.

I guess with TT back, we can settle but he wasn't that good last year. But what Tiger J says is true.

He may just be the backup swing Tackle, with Kujo (LT) and Glenn (RT) on the field.

SpikedLemonade
03-12-2017, 09:40 AM
We soooo need to upgrade this OL and it will take years to do so.

cookie G
03-12-2017, 11:25 AM
We soooo need to upgrade this OL and it will take years to do so.

Well...the right side at least..

If Buffalo could find an answer to their right tackle issue, this line would vault up the rankings in an instant. Jordan Mills surrendered eight sacks and 57 total QB pressures over 596 pass-blocking snaps this season, fourth-most of any tackle in the game.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-this-season/

In pass pro, he's nowhere near average or solid. And that includes being a back up. He's giving up a pressure once in every 10 attempts. Add in the pressures that Miller has given up and you have 90 pressures from 2 linemen, or about 1 in 6 attempts.

And people think we should pass more? Not without fixing that area.

You can cover for 1, but not 2.

But this position is a lot like QB in that people are always saying "next year we'll get one" or something like that.

And next year rolls around and....well, you know.

SpikedLemonade
03-12-2017, 11:55 AM
Well...the right side at least..

If Buffalo could find an answer to their right tackle issue, this line would vault up the rankings in an instant. Jordan Mills surrendered eight sacks and 57 total QB pressures over 596 pass-blocking snaps this season, fourth-most of any tackle in the game.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-this-season/

In pass pro, he's nowhere near average or solid. And that includes being a back up. He's giving up a pressure once in every 10 attempts. Add in the pressures that Miller has given up and you have 90 pressures from 2 linemen, or about 1 in 6 attempts.

And people think we should pass more? Not without fixing that area.

You can cover for 1, but not 2.

But this position is a lot like QB in that people are always saying "next year we'll get one" or something like that.

And next year rolls around and....well, you know.
The lack of appreciation for OL here is epic.

I get pissed off annually every year by the stupid response re: OL.

ParanoidAndroid
03-12-2017, 12:50 PM
The lack of appreciation for OL here is epic.

I get pissed off annually every year by the stupid response re: OL.

The last time we had a solid O-line was the last time we went to the playoffs. Coincidence?

SpikedLemonade
03-12-2017, 02:47 PM
The last time we had a solid O-line was the last time we went to the playoffs. Coincidence?

Nah

Buddo
03-12-2017, 03:01 PM
Continuity doesn't hurt. Mills isn't the worst run blocker, and we obviously are still going to be a 'run first' team. I'd rather have him back, and know we can still try to get better, than have nobody we can be sure can do at least some of what we want them to.

Fwiw, it seems as though we still have a foundation of both lines, to build out from, with the Alexander signing as well. It would appear there is a process going into this.

SpikedLemonade
03-13-2017, 09:04 AM
Not nearly good enough on both lines to be a contender.

Not even close.