• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Buffalo Bills salary cap space not an issue

The Buffalo Bills available amount of salary cap space has fluctuated massively over the last week, but keeps returning to about the same level when all is said and done. Between players they signed, players they released, and Tyrod Taylor’s contract restructure, the needle has moved all over the place but keeps settling around the $20 million mark.

Buffalo has plenty of cap space now and even with a big signing or two in the near future will be able to fit the rookies’ estimated $6.5 salary underneath the cap. It’s also important to note than once Buffalo surpasses 51 players under contract, only the top 51 will count in the salary cap calculation, so signings on the back end of the roster will either not count in the top 51 calculation or only increase the cap by a couple hundred thousand dollars as a really low cap number is bumped by a low cap number.

Buffalo could also easily add up to $14.7 million more in salary cap space by restructuring contracts for Marcell Dareus and/or Cordy Glenn.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: Buffalo Bills salary cap space not an issue

It is an issue because all they can sign are scrubs and fringe guys now
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
      Which is what backups are..
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

We are certainly restricted to the bargain and close-out aisles, but I'm OK with that right now. Guys like Zach Brown and Lorenzo Alexander weren't exactly high-end purchases. Besides, they do have wiggle room with the mentioned re-structure possibilities if they find somebody they really want to throw money at.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Swiper
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2010

Those cap numbers for a so-so kicker and a 34 year old career back-up LB should not go unnoticed.

Comment

• Goobylal
            • Jan 2004

There are still some good players out there.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

G TJ Lang, C Nick Mangold, NT Johnathon Hankins, NT Dontari Poe, CB Morris Claiborne, LB Donte Hightower, G Evan Mathis, WR Josh Gordon, RB Adrian Peterson, S TJ MacDonald, DT Bennie Logan, ILB Gerald Hodges, ILB Zach Brown, ILB Perry Riley, C Joe Berger, CB Brandon Flowers, QB Jay Cutler, DE/OLB Elvis Dumerville, S Isa Abdul-Quddus, CB Darius Butler, S Bradley MgDoudlad, C Joe Hawley, DE/OLB Conner Barwin, OLB DeAndre Levy, DT Sen'Derrick Marks, DL Jared Odrick, RB Eddie Lacy, DE Datone Jones, C John Sullivan, S Ladarius Webb, RB Latavius Murray, RB Jamaal Charles, ILB Kevin Minter, CB Sam Shields, WR Cordorelle Patterson, DE/OLB DeMarcus Ware, OT Ryan Clady, ILB Rolando McClain, G Jahri Evans, DB Leon Hall, S Corey Graham, CB Darrelle Revis and S Jarius Byrd are the bigger names still out there according to Walter Football.

Most of the oline are older, but I would consider Mangold or Hawley if we lose Groy.
              CB Claiborne scares me with just one good season, and Flowers' injury history are red flags. I might give Shields a look though.
              I still like the idea of bringing in Bennie Logan at DT, but we need ends. Datone Jones?
              WR Gordon is toast, but DB's boy Cordorelle is still available.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                Those cap numbers for a so-so kicker and a 34 year old career back-up LB should not go unnoticed.
                Whaley has no clue what he is doing outside of Kim's bedroom.

Comment

• EDS
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                  We are certainly restricted to the bargain and close-out aisles, but I'm OK with that right now. Guys like Zach Brown and Lorenzo Alexander weren't exactly high-end purchases. Besides, they do have wiggle room with the mentioned re-structure possibilities if they find somebody they really want to throw money at.
                  This team still needs to get starting caliber players at CB, WLB and WR, plus depth at a number of positions.

Comment

• streetkings01
                    • Jul 2006

Yea because there are pro bowlers galore out in free agency at the moment.
                    You can call me streetkings

Comment

• Buddo
                      • Mar 2007

Tbh, that's a particularly uninspiring list, especially when looking to match 'needs'. While I'd like to see a vet WR brought in, someone who you know can contribute, there's still the draft for that, similarly for DBs.

Supposedly you are going to be able to find starting DBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year, and as we already found one in the 2nd a couple of years ago, in Darby, then we should be capable of doing so again.

Comment

• Goobylal
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by streetkings01 View Post
                        Yea because there are pro bowlers galore out in free agency at the moment.
                        The Bills found some last year.

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

Who else is out there that isn't available due to our salary cap?

Comment

• JoeMama
                            Emotion Sickness
                            • Oct 2002

GAR! WHY ARE WE NOT TAKING A LOOK AT S LARDARIUS WEBB???

Hyde is legit but Poyer? Come on, man. That's a fantasy.
                            Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• The King
                              Without me it's just Awe so
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                              Which is what backups are..
                              Right but we have holes for guys that actually need to play. Safety is still an issue, yea Hyde will start but who is playing opposite him? What about opposite Darby or Nickelback? What about WR2 or WR3? Cant fill all of those holes in the draft or with depth guys and compete.
                              I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                              "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                              You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                              It was all
                              true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                              He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                              mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

Working...
                              X