X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arm of Harm
    • Dec 2015

LeSean McCoy vs. Thurman Thomas

Last season, LeSean McCoy ran for 1267 yards, while averaging 5.4 yards per carry. Thurman Thomas's best season was 1992, when he ran for 1487 yards while averaging 4.8 yards per carry. Thomas never averaged more than 4.9 yards per carry in a season. As a pure runner, McCoy may actually be better than Thomas. On the other hand, Thomas was a much better blocker than McCoy. It's also worth noting that Thomas had 500+ receiving yards in four separate seasons. Whereas McCoy has only broken the 500 receiving yard mark in two separate seasons. (Neither of which were with Buffalo.)

I'd also like to compare McCoy to Emmitt Smith. Emmitt's summitt came in 1995, when he rushed for 1773 yards while averaging 4.7 yards per carry. 4.7 yards per carry represented the second-highest season average of Smith's career. (The highest was 5.3.) Smith never once broke the 500 receiving yard per season mark, or even the 400 yard per season mark.

How many more outstanding years can we expect from McCoy? There's no way to know the exact answer to that question. But an examination of Thurman's and Emmitt's careers can allow an informed guess.

I'll define a "good" season as one in which the RB has broken 1000 yards, and has averaged at least 4.0 yards per carry. Whereas, a "solid" season is one in which the RB has either broken the 1000 yard rushing mark or broken 4.0 yards per carry. (Minimum 500 rushing yards.) A mediocre season means he failed to break either 1000 rushing yards or 4.0 yards per carry.

Using those definitions, Thurman Thomas's last good season came in 1992 (his fifth year). Years 6 - 10 were solid. Years 11 - 13 (his last in the league) were mediocre.

Emmitt Smith had good seasons in years 2 - 6 of his career. Year 7 was solid, and years 8 - 11 were good. Year 12 was solid, and the remaining years were mediocre.

O.J. Simpson was good in years 4 - 8 of his career. He became solid in year 9, and mediocre for the rest.

LeSean McCoy is heading into year 9 of his career. If his career follows the same trajectory as Simpson's or Thomas's, this could be the last or second-last better-than-mediocre year he has. If on the other hand his career is more like Emmitt Smith's, he may have as many as four better-than-mediocre years left.
  • EDS
    • Jan 2003

Re: LeSean McCoy vs. Thurman Thomas

Thurman was always a better all around player then pure runner. That said, Thurman did his running in games that mattered.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
      Making Spirits Bright
      • Mar 2006

I think McCoy is one of the best backs in the NFL, and his time in Buffalo has only cemented that status. I didn't realize how easily he could make people miss, which I think he's better at than any other back in the league.

Thurman was part of one of the most explosive offenses in football at the time, which was in good part because of him. I wonder what McCoy could've done last year if we had a top QB, or at least one that wouldn't allow defenses to stack the box.

Originally posted by Arm of Harm View Post
      LeSean McCoy is heading into year 9 of his career. If his career follows the same trajectory as Simpson's or Thomas's, this could be the last or second-last better-than-mediocre year he has. If on the other hand his career is more like Emmitt Smith's, he may have as many as four better-than-mediocre years left.
      McCoy is definitely going to hit a wall sooner than later, all running backs do. What we shouldn't lose sight of is that we have a more than capable backup in Mike Gillislee right now. His season last year may have matched what McCoy did if he was given the attempts, or maybe he could have even been better.

PLAYER ATTEMPTS YARDS AVERAGE TOUCHDOWNS ATT/TD
      LeSean McCoy 234 1267 5.4 13 18
      Mike Gillislee 101 577 5.7 8 12.6

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

I feel sorry for McCoy. He's wasting his prime here.

Love Thurman forever but McCoy has been great since his arrival. He deserves better.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Turf
          • Jul 2002

Gillislee would not have matched McCoys' numbers this year, no way.
          Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

The onslaught of pass-friendly rules makes comparisons difficult.
            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
              • Jun 2024

Originally posted by EDS View Post
              Thurman was always a better all around player then pure runner. That said, Thurman did his running in games that mattered.
              Yes, when he found his helmet while hungover after a night with team leader Jim Kelly.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                • Apr 2003

as runner they are equal IMO

as pass catchers lol its not even close. for those like me who were teenagers during the late 80's/90's bills. we got to see thomas first hand.

he was one of the and maybe truly the original RB who could spread out like a wr in a 3,4 or 5 wr set. he was a ridiculous mismatch.

mccoy is a very nice player but come on besides (innocent OJ) thomas is the best RB this franchise has ever had,

on a side not no rb ever had a mastery of the english language as willis mcshakespear did

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by djjimkelly View Post
                  as runner they are equal IMO

as pass catchers lol its not even close. for those like me who were teenagers during the late 80's/90's bills. we got to see thomas first hand.

he was one of the and maybe truly the original RB who could spread out like a wr in a 3,4 or 5 wr set. he was a ridiculous mismatch.

mccoy is a very nice player but come on besides (innocent OJ) thomas is the best RB this franchise has ever had,

on a side not no rb ever had a mastery of the english language as willis mcshakespear did
                  not just as a pass catcher. He was an excellent blocker when he needed to be.
                  I came.
                  I saw.
                  I conquered.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                    • Jun 2009

Thurman was excellent in blitz pickup.
                    Shady s not very good in blitz pickup.
                    OJ didn't block, nor was he asked to.

Comment

Working...