PDA

View Full Version : Rams sign Groy to offer sheet

GingerP
03-14-2017, 04:06 AM
Haven't heard terms, other than 2 years.

swiper
03-14-2017, 04:11 AM
Yikes. Was looking forward to the Bills bringing that guy back. They can match, I assume.

GingerP
03-14-2017, 04:12 AM
Makes sense since they hired Aaron Kromer to coach their OL. He knows the player.

If they don't match and lose him when for $900K more they could have given him a 2nd-round tender, it will be another example of this front-office misjudging the market for one of their players (Hogan). At some point Whaley has to be held accountable for that.

GingerP
03-14-2017, 04:26 AM
Per Spotrac, the Rams have $5M less in cap room than the Bills. Hopefully that means the contract isn't too bad and they can match.

swiper
03-14-2017, 05:07 AM
Not to mention it's an important piece and Groy came relatively inexpensively.

SpikedLemonade
03-14-2017, 05:28 AM
Makes sense since they hired Aaron Kromer to coach their OL. He knows the player.

If they don't match and lose him when for $900K more they could have given him a 2nd-round tender, it will be another example of this front-office misjudging the market for one of their players (Hogan). At some point Whaley has to be held accountable for that.

That isn't what of Whaley Kim is holding.

jamze132
03-14-2017, 05:30 AM
Maybe they are letting another team set the market for Groy...we'll see.

YardRat
03-14-2017, 05:58 AM
Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

GingerP
03-14-2017, 07:06 AM
2 Yrs/$5M, $3.5M guaranteed.

Not bad at all, would think they will match it fairly quickly.

Mahdi
03-14-2017, 07:16 AM
They better match it.

He was excellent at C and there was almost no drop-off.

Wood is not guaranteed to come back the same player so 2.5 mil for a starting C is more than fair.

Skooby
03-14-2017, 07:23 AM
2 Yrs/$5M, $3.5M guaranteed.

Not bad at all, would think they will match it fairly quickly.
It'll be matched.

JoeMama
03-14-2017, 07:39 AM
It damn well better be matched.

Groy filled in admirably for Wood and those are big shoes to fill.

That's the kind of insurance policy at C most teams simply do not have.

Mahdi
03-14-2017, 07:54 AM
It'll be matched.

If they don't match it will require one heck of an explanation to justify signing Mills and allowing Groy to walk.

TigerJ
03-14-2017, 07:58 AM
Certainly, Buffalo can match it. I like what Groy did last season. However, I wonder. Buffalo signed Vladimir Ducasse. I find myself wondering if they are the same player in Buffalo's collective mind. Ducasse is primarily an interior lineman, though he has played a little tackle (I think he came into the league as a college tackle). I'm always thinking about roster numbers. Eight or nine is the number of offensive linemen typically carried on an NFL roster. Without Groy, Buffalo currently has as established holdovers; Glenn, Incognito, Wood, Miller, Mills, Kouandjio, Henderson, and Patrick Lewis. By my count, that's 8. They also have Michael Ola, who is kind of a utility lineman, (has played some guard and OT) and of course Ducasse. That makes 10, and Groy would make 11. I question whether Lewis makes the team, and the Bills may also be tired of dealing with Henderson's Crohn's disease and related marijuana use, but they may still decide that bringing Groy back at the higher cap number the Rams' offer sheet will require is a luxury they can live without.

elroy16
03-14-2017, 09:06 AM
Certainly, Buffalo can match it. I like what Groy did last season. However, I wonder. Buffalo signed Vladimir Ducasse. I find myself wondering if they are the same player in Buffalo's collective mind. Ducasse is primarily an interior lineman, though he has played a little tackle (I think he came into the league as a college tackle). I'm always thinking about roster numbers. Eight or nine is the number of offensive linemen typically carried on an NFL roster. Without Groy, Buffalo currently has as established holdovers; Glenn, Incognito, Wood, Miller, Mills, Kouandjio, Henderson, and Patrick Lewis. By my count, that's 8. They also have Michael Ola, who is kind of a utility lineman, (has played some guard and OT) and of course Ducasse. That makes 10, and Groy would make 11. I question whether Lewis makes the team, and the Bills may also be tired of dealing with Henderson's Crohn's disease and related marijuana use, but they may still decide that bringing Groy back at the higher cap number the Rams' offer sheet will require is a luxury they can live without.

I think Groy, Ducasse, and Kouandjio would make a decent trio of backups. Kujo plays LT well, Ducasse can play some guard and T, and Groy can play C and some guard.

I guess it depends what they think of Lewis as he's the only real center left after Wood.

Goobylal
03-14-2017, 09:35 AM
There's no way they don't match it. They only have 55 players signed and will add another 6 (at present) in the draft, so they can't afford to let anyone go.

swiper
03-14-2017, 09:59 AM
Bills silent so far.

streetkings01
03-14-2017, 10:35 AM
Bills silent so far.They have a week to match.

swiper
03-14-2017, 10:53 AM
They have a week to match.

5 days actually. Guess they have to make a call on Eric Wood.

Scumbag College
03-14-2017, 11:27 AM
5 days actually. Guess they have to make a call on Eric Wood.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/eric-wood-5637/

If I'm reading this correctly, Eric Wood's 2018 contract is voidable and he would count $4.3 Mil in dead cap money if cut and $7.5 Mil against the cap if kept on the team.

If the Bills are going to go El Cheapo from here on out in FA, they might as well match Groy's offer and cut Wood loose. With that $3+ mil in cap savings from Wood, they can keep Groy on and possibly add another FA for depth. Whaley is lousy in a lot of ways, but he does have a knack for hitting on inexpensive FA's.

As much as I like Wood he's been banged up so often and might be near the end. It would make sense for the organization to keep a younger guy without the injury history. I didn't notice a drop off in production when Wood went down and Groy stepped in.

Night Train
03-14-2017, 12:18 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/eric-wood-5637/

If I'm reading this correctly, Eric Wood's 2018 contract is voidable and he would count $4.3 Mil in dead cap money if cut and $7.5 Mil against the cap if kept on the team.

If the Bills are going to go El Cheapo from here on out in FA, they might as well match Groy's offer and cut Wood loose. With that $3+ mil in cap savings from Wood, they can keep Groy on and possibly add another FA for depth. Whaley is lousy in a lot of ways, but he does have a knack for hitting on inexpensive FA's.

As much as I like Wood he's been banged up so often and might be near the end. It would make sense for the organization to keep a younger guy without the injury history. I didn't notice a drop off in production when Wood went down and Groy stepped in.

This

They won't sign Groy to a 2 year 5 Mil contract to be a backup. If they match, then Wood is cut within 24 hours.

Goobylal
03-14-2017, 01:05 PM
The Bills don't need to do anything with Wood if they match Groy's offer sheet. Again they have just 55 players under contract with another 6 (at present) coming through the draft and they have a good amount of cap room still.

Dr. Lecter
03-14-2017, 01:14 PM
And then during the regular season they have a practice squad. And players on IR. And need money to sign replacement players.

They really don't have much cap room. It's pretty low in the league.

jimmifli
03-14-2017, 01:44 PM

But I think Groy would be the first off the bench for both G positions and at C (with a chance at winning the starting C job). There is usually a "swing tackle" that will be the loser of Mills, Henderson, Kujo and maybe a draft pick if IBS/suspension scares them. I'd put Ducasse as competing for the 2nd backup interior lineman (I don't think he can play C or OT).

So that's a starting 5 +1 backup C/G position +1 backup LT/RT that are practically required roster spots and likely to see snaps. What we do with the 8th/9th roster spots I'm not sure.

It's also important to consider that we have three subpar RTs with cap hits from $1.8-$1.5 million, so anything after a 1st round pick will result in savings, with a 5th or later saving at least $1mil. It's tough to imagine all three being on the roster in September. Why carry an extra $1million in cap on the 8th OL (4th tackle)? So it might be a 3 man race for the starting spot but 3rd place is likely getting cut.

swiper
03-14-2017, 02:09 PM
They are setting up camp battles for that RT spot. Surely Henderson or Kujoandijo is/are on their last shot here. With Groy it still comes down to them making a call on Wood. Keep him and pay him what his contract says or use Groy. As mentioned, when Groy stepped in there was no noticeable difference. I think they gotta cut Wood loose.

jimmifli
03-14-2017, 04:56 PM
They are setting up camp battles for that RT spot. Surely Henderson or Kujoandijo is/are on their last shot here. With Groy it still comes down to them making a call on Wood. Keep him and pay him what his contract says or use Groy. As mentioned, when Groy stepped in there was no noticeable difference. I think they gotta cut Wood loose.

It's pricey for a backup lineman, but considering he's the backup for three positions it's not so bad.

What they should do:

-match the offer and look to extend/restructure during the season before he gets much play time.
-cut Wood loose next off-season
-have Groy signed through 2021 (3 more years after this season) as the starting center at a super cheap price.

He's unlikely to generate huge interest from other teams unless he starts, so benching him depresses his value a little. A contract with a larger signing bonus prorated over 5 years could be enough to lock him up and lower his cap hit. Something like $6mil signing bonus, with $1/1.5/1.5/2/4 would give you a starting C for a cap hit of about $2 mil / season for the first 4. He'd get almost $10 million in signing bonus between the two contracts without needing to "prove it".

If they cut Wood now and start Groy, and he continues to play at his previous level (no fall off from Wood), he'd go into 2018 looking to get to free agency. Once guys make it to their final season under contract it's really hard to get them to sign anything. So if they do chop Wood they need to get a longer deal done in 2017 if they want an undermarket price. That's the key to good cap management, sign guys to long term contracts with enough lead time that the guaranteed money is worth more to the player than the potential free agent contract.

So this is the chance with Groy.

YardRat
03-14-2017, 05:25 PM
I don't think $2.5 mil per is too expensive for a guy that can back-up three spots at worst, and possibly upgrade the starting center position to boot. Hell, I'd have matched it already unless Groy is requesting the team not to because he'd rather be in LA.

swiper
03-14-2017, 05:28 PM
[channeling Spiked...]

Groy was heard humming this tune yesterday...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7KJoid9HpWU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JoeMama
03-14-2017, 05:29 PM
If Whaley lets Groy walk, he's dead to me.

You'd think Whaley, who just got nationally embarrassed by letting Chris Hogan walk last year, would be a little more ambitious about not letting it happen AGAIN one year later.

The Jokeman
03-14-2017, 07:53 PM
If Whaley lets Groy walk, he's dead to me.

You'd think Whaley, who just got nationally embarrassed by letting Chris Hogan walk last year, would be a little more ambitious about not letting it happen AGAIN one year later.

The issue is the Bills are walking the fine line of the salary cap. Groy is a good backup but is he worth $2.5 on the bench? As it obvious the Rams paying him to start like the Patriots felt Hogan could.

JoeMama
03-14-2017, 07:58 PM
The issue is the Bills are walking the fine line of the salary cap. Groy is a good backup but is he worth $2.5 on the bench? As it obvious the Rams paying him to start like the Patriots felt Hogan could.

2.5 ain't gonna break the bank. We have enough to resign him. Remember this ain't the first time Wood has missed significant time to injury. A good backup and possible replacement in the future is well worth a 2.5 mil investment. Hands down.

Ed
03-14-2017, 08:42 PM
Paying $2.5 mil/year isn't ideal for a backup, but what are the chances Incognito, Wood, and Miller all stay healthy for 16 games? Off the top of my head I can't remember a season where our entire interior OL didn't get hurt for the whole season. If we're talking about a guy that can provide high quality depth at three postions then I personally think it's worth it.

mdcas22
03-14-2017, 08:59 PM
Match the offer and cut Wood and re sign him for what you offered Groy to begin with because thats all Wood is worth on the open market.

Mouldsie
03-14-2017, 10:46 PM
I don't think it should be automatic that Miller start over Groy. Losing this player would be a disgrace

Buffalogic
03-15-2017, 07:44 AM
Cut Wood. Sign Groy.

kingJofNYC
03-15-2017, 09:15 AM
I don't think it should be automatic that Miller start over Groy. Losing this player would be a disgrace
Miller was pretty good last in year in a larger sample of games. I do agree that we shouldn't lose Groy, Vlad is terrible back up to have, can't play multiple positions either.

Yasgur's Farm
03-16-2017, 11:12 AM
Not a good idea to cut Wood... He is, in spite of what some here say, a quality starter. We're trying to build/maintain depth and roll players. If Wood is cut, we haven't done that. Groy is flexible, quality depth at all interior positions.

JoeMama
03-16-2017, 12:13 PM
I still haven't heard any rumblings on the Groy front.

I can only assume at this point the Bills FO are seriously not going to match the Rams' offer.

JOEY SAD.

zone
03-16-2017, 04:04 PM
Looks like we matched. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0634129853146207627-4&appsrc=sc

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-16-2017, 04:08 PM
So people can step off the ****ing ledge now

Luisito23
03-16-2017, 05:22 PM

This was the only logical answer...Problem is, the Bills are anything but logical, so you can't be pissed at anyone for thinking we wouldn't match...

Glad it's done and that he's staying!

YardRat
03-16-2017, 05:27 PM
Nice. Glad we kept him in the fold.

kgun12
03-16-2017, 05:32 PM

Oh give them a few minutes they will find something else to put them on said ledge!

swiper
03-16-2017, 06:31 PM
No one was on the ledge. This seemed like an easy decision that the Bills would inevitably screw up. There's always hope for the front office.

Night Train
03-16-2017, 07:16 PM

Why are you stopping them ? Let the herd thin.

JoeMama
03-16-2017, 07:58 PM
Looks like we matched. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0634129853146207627-4&appsrc=sc

YESSSSS.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/jammin2.gif (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/JoeMama025/media/jammin2.gif.html)

Skooby
03-16-2017, 09:25 PM
SuperBowl, I can't wait.

Nice move, sure. Meaningful ?? Not really. Tyrod will not win us more than 4 games total, so prepare to draft high in 2018.

Luisito23
03-16-2017, 10:03 PM
SuperBowl, I can't wait.

Nice move, sure. Meaningful ?? Not really. Tyrod will not win us more than 4 games total, so prepare to draft high in 2018.

I feel the same way about Taylor, but damn, your ramblings about him on every single thread got old a long ass time ago...

Sometimes you gotta learn how to move on and not repeat the same **** over and over again.

Skooby
03-16-2017, 10:29 PM
I feel the same way about Taylor, but damn, your ramblings about him on every single thread got old a long ass time ago...

Sometimes you gotta learn how to move on and not repeat the same **** over and over again.
I can't wait for the losses.

Topas
03-17-2017, 04:25 AM
SuperBowl, I can't wait.
Actually, I think that would be best case. I am afraid he will 8 games which again means getting no useful QB in the draft...

Skooby
03-17-2017, 05:40 AM

Like missing the playoffs over and over again or being near .500 ball ?? That type of over and over again ? That's our new best case scenario.

swiper
03-17-2017, 05:53 AM
Actually, I think that would be best case. I am afraid he will 8 games which again means getting no useful QB in the draft...

I took the comment about only winning 4 games to be a criticism of Taylor's lack of ability to take the team on his back and ever win a game like a true franchise QB. If he did that 4 times next season, with a healthy McCoy and an improved defense, the Bills do, in fact, win 8 games. And then, of course, draft between 10 - 16th place and miss out on getting the rookie QB.

Yasgur's Farm
03-17-2017, 07:28 AM
Bills suck, Whaley sucks, they'll never match... Oh, wait... Groy sucks. How can they justify that contract for this sack of deflated footballs!!! Total incompetence!!!

Ed
03-17-2017, 11:59 AM
From Rodak:
The Bills have matched the Rams' two-year offer sheet for restricted free agent OL Ryan Groy, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Caplan. That means Groy will stay in Buffalo on a deal that will pay him $5 million with $3.5 million guaranteed. Groy will have cap numbers of $2.5 million each season and will continue to serve as the Bills' top interior backup lineman.

Great news. I'm really glad he's coming back. The OL interior should be set with quality starters and depth.

JoeMama
03-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Bills suck, Whaley sucks, they'll never match... Oh, wait... Groy sucks. How can they justify that contract for this sack of deflated footballs!!! Total incompetence!!!

Hey now, ain't no need to be so hyper defensive.

Resigning Groy was a no-brainer. Dude played at a high level as Wood's replacement. He can play multiple positions as a backup. He doesn't cost but 2.5 milly in cap space in 2017 and 2018.

I'm thrilled our FO had the good sense to match the Rams offer sheet.

This ain't nothing but great news.

And I also think it's a good example of how even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. The Bills FO still has a lot of blind spots when it comes to building a winning team, I think that goes without saying.

jimmifli
03-17-2017, 07:13 PM
YESSSSS.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/jammin2.gif (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/JoeMama025/media/jammin2.gif.html)
Your 90's game is strong. But this is how I celebrated the matched offer sheet:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XBojt6fDVvw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

endzone
03-17-2017, 08:33 PM
From Rodak:
The Bills have matched the Rams' two-year offer sheet for restricted free agent OL Ryan Groy, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Caplan. That means Groy will stay in Buffalo on a deal that will pay him $5 million with $3.5 million guaranteed. Groy will have cap numbers of $2.5 million each season and will continue to serve as the Bills' top interior backup lineman.

Great news. I'm really glad he's coming back. The OL interior should be set with quality starters and depth.
After June 1st Eric Wood will only cost the Bills $3 mil if he is CUT! If he remains on the team he counts $7.5 mil against the Cap. Is he worth it?

Jaybird
03-17-2017, 08:35 PM
He's worth a draft pick at least. No way should we flat out cut him

JoeMama
03-18-2017, 02:47 PM
Your 90's game is strong. But this is how I celebrated the matched offer sheet:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XBojt6fDVvw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Whoa I thought my 90s game was strong but this is as 90s as it ****ing gets.

+1 @ jimmifli