PDA

View Full Version : At #10

Yasgur's Farm
03-15-2017, 07:49 AM
DEshaun Watson... 2 years sitting behind TT will produce a franchise QB out of this guy.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2696107-re-ranking-the-top-25-players-from-the-class-of-2014?%20utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Though he's a controversial NFL prospect, Watson will be a great player at that level, too. He's just a winner

Mr. Magoo
03-15-2017, 07:59 AM
Its gonna be a WR or CB/S......it would be dumb to take a QB that early when we have more pressing needs. If we did take him I wouldn't be to upset.

Yasgur's Farm
03-15-2017, 08:03 AM
I don't give a **** about this season... We need to produce a franchise QB in the next 2 seasons. Do you have any other suggestions on how to accomplish that?

Besides... If it's not Watson it will be OJ Howard.

Night Train
03-15-2017, 08:16 AM
Can scream all we wish. It sure looks like WR or S early.

Coach likes big Safeties in his 4-2-5 nickel D and the WR need is obvious, especially with an injury prone Sammy.

Howard is a great player but makes zero sense when you're already overpaying Clay.

The Beef
03-15-2017, 08:17 AM
If they stay at 10 I don't see how it isn't a WR unless they make a move via trade for a guy who's a legit #2.

If they draft Howard and keep Clay you just have a weird mix with Howard, Clay, Dimarco, Shady and Sammy. Obviously Dimarco won't be on the field all the time, but that's just a really weird spot to be top heavy at TE and the backfield. Sure they could do some thing's with bunch formation but I just don't see Howard being the pick. I think that's a smoke screen being put out there to get the phone's ringing. I'm sure Whaley would love to move down 4-12 spots and get an extra 3rd or a 2nd depending on the drop.

Maybe Anquan Boldin? He doesn't stretch the field at all but he does replace the blocking Woods brought. He's not a legit #2 by any stretch, he's a niche #3 but he's way better than anything else on the current roster.

I don't see a DB at 10 unless Hooker or Adams slip, which is highly improbable but possible since they're safeties.

DB is incredibly deep this draft you can certainly get a starter in the 2nd round and probably even the 3rd.

Kenny
03-15-2017, 08:43 AM
I wouldnt be too upset if Watson was the pick, but I'd still rather have (in order) Adams, Lattimore, or Hooker. If they're all gone, which is likely, I guess it's a toss up between Humphrey and Mike Williams.

I dont know much about Watson outside of the Championship game and what you can find on google, but I've read comparisons to Dak Prescott and Marcus Mariotta. I'd be fine with that.

Night Train
03-15-2017, 08:45 AM
One thing I know about watching Watson. He likes to go brain dead 2-3 times a game and throw some of the worst INT's you ever saw. Poise ? I swear he's channeling Geno Smith.

Turf
03-15-2017, 08:59 AM
To me Watson is a taller and slower Tyrod and lacks accuracy. Why bother.

Mr. Magoo
03-15-2017, 09:02 AM
To me Watson is a taller and slower Tyrod and lacks accuracy. Why bother.

Agree 100%

ghz in pittsburgh
03-15-2017, 09:09 AM
BPA would be my choice and I believe is Whaley's goal, too. But as you know, they always adjust the FA signings to gear up for draft that BPA also fits a need.

Taylor's signing almost guarantees that they won't go QB 1st round, not that there are compelling guys in top 10 anyway (but we can guarantee that one maybe two QBs will go in top 10). The new deal gives the Bills great flexibility - if they don't find a QB to their liking this year, they can even wait till next year to draft, given Tyrod's current contract and the fact Jones will be going on his 3rd year by that time.

To me it looks like S or WR at stake @10. If multiple options are there, a trade down may present itself as well.

Mouldsie
03-15-2017, 09:29 AM
As much as I don't believe in him the only QB I'd draft this year is Chad Kelly because he's got just as good of a shot at making it as the other guys and wont cost an arm and a leg.

The franchise QB I want plays for UCLA currently. IDK how to obtain him if we are gonna win 7-8 games though.

SpikedLemonade
03-15-2017, 09:31 AM
Why waste your time with this thread -- you just know we are drafting the 2nd best CB at #10.

Shutdown Corner here we commmmmmmmmme!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAMMER
03-15-2017, 09:36 AM
Why waste your time with this thread -- you just know we are drafting the 2nd best CB at #10.

Shutdown Corner here we commmmmmmmmme!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which would absolutely be the right pick. They let their #1 corner go to a division rival. They need a stud CB to cover the same division rivals midget WR's that will be streaking all over the field.

swiper
03-15-2017, 09:38 AM
I don't give a **** about this season... We need to produce a franchise QB in the next 2 seasons. Do you have any other suggestions on how to accomplish that?

Besides... If it's not Watson it will be OJ Howard.

Not gonna be either of those players. Thankfully.

Mr. Magoo
03-15-2017, 09:44 AM
As much as I don't believe in him the only QB I'd draft this year is Chad Kelly because he's got just as good of a shot at making it as the other guys and wont cost an arm and a leg.

The franchise QB I want plays for UCLA currently. IDK how to obtain him if we are gonna win 7-8 games though.

Sam Darnold, QB, USC

Night Train
03-15-2017, 09:56 AM
Sam Darnold, QB, USC

Agreed. He's the guy in the next draft.

Thurmal
03-15-2017, 09:58 AM
Worst velocity on throws of all QBs at combine, threw a ton of INTs against simpler college defenses, has issues with accuracy, and would need to learn a pro offense and adjust to taking snaps under center.

That sounds like a recipe for disaster in the NFL.

swiper
03-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Worst velocity on throws of all QBs at combine, threw a ton of INTs against simpler college defenses, has issues with accuracy, and would need to learn a pro offense and adjust to taking snaps under center.

That sounds like a recipe for disaster in the NFL.

Yasgur also supported EJ Manuel.

Mouldsie
03-15-2017, 10:27 AM
Sam Darnold, QB, USC
#2 for me
I need to watch more of him to put him #1.

Cali512
03-15-2017, 10:49 AM
No CB. We have to many needs to fill to force a replacement for Gilmore. Also this is the same defense that let Norman walk because an elite CB wasn't needed.

Turf
03-15-2017, 11:01 AM
I don't know if other teams have this same issue, but we let our first round pick from 2012 leave at CB, only to spend another first round pick at the same position. It just doesn't seem to be the proper way to build anything its just running in mud.

Cali512
03-15-2017, 11:30 AM
I don't know if other teams have this same issue, but we let our first round pick from 2012 leave at CB, only to spend another first round pick at the same position. It just doesn't seem to be the proper way to build anything its just running in mud.

Same with McKelvin. We drafted him in the first (such a bust), then when we realized he wasn't anything special we got Gilmore, now at the end of his rookie deal we would be replacing him again

Thurmal
03-15-2017, 11:38 AM
Same with McKelvin. We drafted him in the first (such a bust), then when we realized he wasn't anything special we got Gilmore, now at the end of his rookie deal we would be replacing him again
And before McKelvin, Nate Clements. And before Clements, Antoine Winfield. Don't buy the #10 pick's jersey, because they'll let him go after his first contract too.

Kenny
03-15-2017, 11:46 AM
No CB. We have to many needs to fill to force a replacement for Gilmore. Also this is the same defense that let Norman walk because an elite CB wasn't needed.

And I think he learned his lesson with how much the CAR defense regressed last year. If anything, this reinforces a CB pick at #10

JoeMama
03-15-2017, 11:50 AM
DEshaun Watson... 2 years sitting behind TT will produce a franchise QB out of this guy.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2696107-re-ranking-the-top-25-players-from-the-class-of-2014?%20utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Absolutamente No!

Deshaun Watson is bust city.

1) Lack of vision/stares down targets
2) Easily duped into interceptions due to failure to read defenses (I watched him do this vs FSU).
3) Deep ball accuracy sucks (sound familiar???)
4) Not great on crossing and slant routes (also sound familiar???)
5) Will struggle to transition from read option offense to NFL offense.
6) Lean frame may lead to injury concerns in the NFL (sounds like another Watkins we know)

This guy will not be an NFL caliber QB. Waste of a draft pick at #10.

Mouldsie
03-15-2017, 12:00 PM
TT has great deep ball accuracy so how is it familiar? Cardale?

Also the offense concerns aren't always fair. That was the knock on Mariota.

JoeMama
03-15-2017, 12:02 PM
TT has great deep ball accuracy so how is it familiar? Cardale?

No. EJ, duh!

I assume everyone is familiar with both TT and EJ's individual flaws and can use deductive reasoning to connect the dots.

Those are the two QB's we've witnessed in recent years and are my points of reference here.

Mouldsie
03-15-2017, 12:04 PM
Ah.

EJ is dead to me. He was never really alive TBH

JoeMama
03-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Ah.

EJ is dead to me. He was never really alive TBH

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mouldsie again."

Haha, poor kid. EJ sure did try hard. But by the gods, he sure was awful.

He literally had no strengths at all as a passer. He couldn't hit short routes well enough, he couldn't hit intermediate routes well enough, and he was maybe the singularly worst deep passer I've ever witnessed.

Cali512
03-15-2017, 12:11 PM
And I think he learned his lesson with how much the CAR defense regressed last year. If anything, this reinforces a CB pick at #10

Yes but there offense didn't help at all. Also if Norman is a tier 9, Darby would probably be a 6-7. Meanwhile Carolina was marching our with 4-5s. I'd look more to the second for another CB and allow us to use our first pick on a War. I just hate the idea of drafting yet another CB because our first round CB picks have not panned out.

Also I think we need a CB who is finally passionate. Norman and Sherman are passionate players even though they are not the fastest. This is what separates Hargreaves and Ramsey, what separates Gilmore from Chris Harris. Some players give 110% on every play and live for football, which is a trait elite CBs have.

Bill Cody
03-15-2017, 12:20 PM
I would much rather have Trubisky at 10 than Watson

Thurmal
03-15-2017, 12:21 PM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mouldsie again."

Haha, poor kid. EJ sure did try hard. But by the gods, he sure was awful.

He literally had no strengths at all as a passer. He couldn't hit short routes well enough, he couldn't hit intermediate routes well enough, and he was maybe the singularly worst deep passer I've ever witnessed.
His one strength was that he looked and sounded like the type of guy who would end up being a good QB. I honestly think that had a lot to do with the Bills picking him that early.

Bill Cody
03-15-2017, 12:28 PM
His one strength was that he looked and sounded like the type of guy who would end up being a good QB. I honestly think that had a lot to do with the Bills picking him that early.

maybe so but they bought the whole package too- size, mobility, arm strength. The two things EJ lacks are unfortunately the most important for a QB: accuracy and reading the D quickly and correctly. Not sure you can really coach either one if you don't have it before you go pro.

Cali512
03-15-2017, 12:28 PM

Ed
03-15-2017, 01:00 PM
As of right now I would probably take a WR over a CB at #10. I like the idea of Kevon Seymour as a #2 CB way more than anyone we have right now behind Sammy Watkins being our #2 WR. This CB class looks very deep. I think you can still get an impact CB that can compete for the starting role in the second or third round.

I think OJ Howard is a strong possibility too, although I'd prefer a WR. Tyrod took a pay cut so the team could surround him with more talent. They really haven't given him any new weapons, so it seems logical that they would use the #10 pick for that if the right player is available.

Cali512
03-15-2017, 01:17 PM
Hyde may be our number 2. Not Seymour.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-15-2017, 01:41 PM

Try to get Cleveland's #1 pick next year. Give them our 1st and 5th this year.

swiper
03-15-2017, 01:42 PM
Try to get Cleveland's #1 pick next year. Give them our 1st and 5th this year.

I'd do that in a heart beat.

TigerJ
03-15-2017, 01:54 PM
Over at Buffalo Rumblings, Dan Lavoie, one of their regular contributors, maintains that Tyrod's renegotiated deal is essentially a bridge contract. The burden is on Tyrod to prove to the Bills that he belongs on the team after the 2017 season. If that is the case, it makes it more likely than not that Buffalo will draft a QB fairly early in April. I would not mind if it is
Watson. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/3/14/14921390/buffalo-bills-quarterback-tyrod-taylors-contract-is-a-bridge-deal

JoeMama
03-15-2017, 02:34 PM
Over at Buffalo Rumblings, Dan Lavoie, one of their regular contributors, maintains that Tyrod's renegotiated deal is essentially a bridge contract. The burden is on Tyrod to prove to the Bills that he belongs on the team after the 2017 season. If that is the case, it makes it more likely than not that Buffalo will draft a QB fairly early in April. I would not mind if it is
Watson. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/3/14/14921390/buffalo-bills-quarterback-tyrod-taylors-contract-is-a-bridge-deal

I love the idea of nabbing a QB early.

I just don't want to go anywhere near Watson.

I watched him plenty. No es beuno.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-15-2017, 03:38 PM

That's a good analysis. Those who say Whaley didn't get his wish while McDermott "won" power struggle didn't know what they are talking about. Whaley got EXACTLY what he wanted from Taylor in terms of contract dealing.

From Taylor's side, I think Tyrod is more of a gambler than I expect. If he's going to trying to maximize what he can get, he needs to let Bills cut him. Very likely he can get more than $10 million guaranteed money in an open market, being it another short "prove it" deal. But he looked at himself and bet on himself to be better in a familiar environment (teammates, OC) in 2017. We'll see.

YardRat
03-15-2017, 04:55 PM
I'm not a fan of Watson at all and certainly not convinced he'll pan out much better than others before him at the next level, but I have to admit I was impressed with how he hung in there and led Clemson to the victory over 'Bama in the championship game.

TacklingDummy
03-15-2017, 05:40 PM
Trade down a few slots, take whoever the top rated WR is left on the board.

Tank this season.

Weapons for Darnold.

Mouldsie
03-15-2017, 05:44 PM

Tank this season.

Weapons for Darnold.

That ship has sailed dude, they kept Tyrod

Kenny
03-15-2017, 06:55 PM

Tank this season.

Weapons for Darnold.

lol... even if we didnt keep TT, I still dont think we'd be in a situation to draft Darnold. We'd have to cut Shady, sit Watkins the whole year, cut Dareus, Hughes, etc... I think the Browns have to be favorite to repeat for #1 next year.

SpikedLemonade
03-15-2017, 07:47 PM
Which would absolutely be the right pick. They let their #1 corner go to a division rival. They need a stud CB to cover the same division rivals midget WR's that will be streaking all over the field.

Can I ask you a personal question?

WHEN YOU WALK, ARE YOU CONCERNED ABOUT HITTING YOUR HEAD & DAMAGING THAT LAST BRAIN CELL LEFT IN THAT PUMPKIN HEAD OF YOURS?

TacklingDummy
03-15-2017, 09:50 PM
lol... even if we didnt keep TT, I still dont think we'd be in a situation to draft Darnold. We'd have to cut Shady, sit Watkins the whole year, cut Dareus, Hughes, etc... I think the Browns have to be favorite to repeat for #1 next year.

I'm ok with all that.

Historian
03-16-2017, 06:14 AM
I think they will trade down and add picks

Night Train
03-16-2017, 06:27 AM
I think they will trade down and add picks

With WR and Secondary being the priorities, that seems like the wise move. Still, someone needs to call us.

BillsFan4
03-16-2017, 01:23 PM
I really don't understand the love for Watson some have. I just see so many red flags when I watch him play.

- He struggles with pressure. (At the end of the 2015 season he was throwing an INT 1 out of every 16 times he was pressured. That's horrible. I don't know if it improved in 2016 but seeing as he threw even more INT, I highly doubt it).
- struggles trying to play in the pocket.
- He struggles with accuracy
- Struggles going through progressions and finding open receivers
- Struggles reading defensive coverages
- Struggles with decision making
- has struggled in the red zone 2 out of 3 seasons (there is tighter coverage in the college red zone. The whole NFL field is like this)

those are some of the most important things you look for in an NFL QB.

Watson was not asked to do very many things an NFL QB has to do, and He isn't going to be able to get away with a lot of what he did in College. I just don't see his game transferring very well to the NFL.

I don't really care that he beat Alabama. Alabama's defense has had trouble with Clemson's gimmicky spread offense for years now (since before Watson ever got there). Plus, I just don't see where winning a college championship is all that important to NFL success. How many NFL QB's are there that were national champs in college? The list is very, very short. I heard the same crap about EJ too - how he won all 4 Bowl games he played in college and how he was best with the bright lights on... I mean, it's nice Watson beat Alabama. He played a good game. But it's not a reason to draft him. You have to look at the whole picture.

I don't really care about Watson's stats either. He played in a gimmicky, very high tempo college spread offense. They ran a million plays per game. His stats don't mean a whole lot to me. Plenty of spread QBs have put up gaudy stats and never amounted to anything in the NFL. The main stat that sticks out for me, anyway, is INT's. If you struggle that badly with INTs in college coverage, I can see that being a huge issue in the NFL.

sukie
03-16-2017, 01:36 PM
Trade down from 10 to grab up an additional 2nd round pick. Then trade down again to pick up a second and a third. No first selection means affordable rookie contracts.

Pick Kelly with a third and Party like it's 1983.

ticatfan
03-16-2017, 02:15 PM
I'm not a fan of Watson at all and certainly not convinced he'll pan out much better than others before him at the next level, but I have to admit I was impressed with how he hung in there and led Clemson to the victory over 'Bama in the championship game.Watch the jets take him @#6, or at least the 2nd rd.

SpikedLemonade
03-16-2017, 02:18 PM
Trade down from 10 to grab up an additional 2nd round pick. Then trade down again to pick up a second and a third. No first selection means affordable rookie contracts.

OR like the night before a Super Bowl Game and then lose 4 consecutive ones hung over if you can find your helmet.

swiper
03-16-2017, 02:33 PM

And here I thought you were off the wagon.

Jaybird
03-16-2017, 05:12 PM
More and more looking like WR or DB. Still think we need to sign a vet corner and brIng in some depth at safety