PDA

View Full Version : I'm predicting WR Mike Williams in the 1st round.

TacklingDummy
03-16-2017, 06:54 PM
1) the Bills are desperate for a #1 WR
2) the Bills need WR
3) The Bills love Clemson players
4) The Bills are due to get a star from Clemson...CJ Spiller, Sammy Watkins, and Shaw Lawson have been huge disappointments.
5) Watkins will be gone after this year.

I'd be ok with getting any of the Top 3 receivers with the 1st pick.

Night Train
03-16-2017, 07:28 PM
" If I cry, they will follow me.."

JoeMama
03-16-2017, 07:46 PM
Whoa wait. Shaq Lawson has been a disappointment???

Dude played pretty well for a rookie as a backup (they couldn't bench Lorenzo for him, he was on fire) in an injury shortened season. A couple sacks, a decent amount of QB pressures, seemed solid against the run. Etc Etc.

TacklingDummy
03-16-2017, 07:50 PM

Dude played pretty well for a rookie as a backup (they couldn't bench Lorenzo for him, he was on fire) in an injury shortened season. A couple sacks, a decent amount of QB pressures, seemed solid against the run. Etc Etc.

7 tackles, 2 sacks, I expect more out of a 1st round pick.

Sorry but HUGE disappointment.

HHURRICANE
03-16-2017, 07:50 PM

I thought he was disappointing but when you can't do upper body for 7 months it's tough to be great.

JoeMama
03-16-2017, 07:52 PM
7 tackles, 2 sacks, I expect more out of a 1st round pick.

Sorry but HUGE disappointment.

Yeah but he barely saw the field because Lorenzo Alexander was ahead of him on the depth chart.

He can only be considered a disappointment because another man was a spectacular triumph.

TacklingDummy
03-16-2017, 07:53 PM
I thought he was disappointing but when you can't do upper body for 7 months it's tough to be great.

Not hard to fall on a pile and get a tackle.

TacklingDummy
03-16-2017, 07:54 PM
Yeah but he barely saw the field because Lorenzo Alexander was ahead of him on the depth chart.

He can only be considered a disappointment because another man was a spectacular triumph.

So our 1st year rookie couldn't out perform our 1st year 33 year old scrub. That makes me excited.

JoeMama
03-16-2017, 08:05 PM
So our 1st year rookie couldn't out perform our 1st year 33 year old scrub. That makes me excited.

Oh come on, I know you want to play the cynic, but that '33 year old scrub' only finished third in the entire NFL in sacks.

You don't bench that guy for a rookie coming off an injury.

TacklingDummy
03-16-2017, 08:16 PM
Oh come on, I know you want to play the cynic, but that '33 year old scrub' only finished third in the entire NFL in sacks.

You don't bench that guy for a rookie coming off an injury.

You also don't resign the 34 years for 9 million.

JoeMama
03-16-2017, 08:18 PM
You also don't resign the 34 years for 9 million.

Huh? Why not? I'd love another 12.5 sack season!

It ain't my money and at least the cash is going toward a guy who proved he's good.

TacklingDummy
03-16-2017, 08:29 PM

It ain't my money and at least the cash is going toward a guy who proved he's good.

33 years old and proved he's good, how many 34 year olds are worth a ****?

Luisito23
03-16-2017, 08:31 PM

You must be Whaley's boy.

JoeMama
03-16-2017, 08:32 PM
You must be Whaley's boy.

Huh?

JoeMama
03-16-2017, 08:35 PM
I hope you're being sarcastic because I'm one of Whaley's biggest detractors around here.

Snake oil salesman Russ Brandon too.

TacklingDummy
03-16-2017, 08:37 PM
Snake oil salesman Russ Brandon too.

Russ is doing an excellent job.

Whaley not so much.

Turf
03-16-2017, 08:42 PM
I'm hoping for Williams at WR. Hopefully we can get him and give us a great 1-2 punch.

JoeMama
03-16-2017, 08:42 PM
Russ is doing an excellent job.

Whaley not so much.

Okay but let's talk about Russ Brandon for a second.

Given the popularity of the NFL and the realities of revenue sharing, a team has to literally try to not make money. It's not like Brandon is selling ice to an Eskimo. He's got the easiest job on the planet. NFL franchises are literally insulated from even a remote possibility of losing money.

Terry Pegula admitted as recently as January that Russ Brandon is not just a marketing guy. He is in the film room, he works with the scouts, he meets with potential coaches/players, etc etc. And Whaley has publicly stated he doesn't know what Brandon is in charge of, he just knows it's "a lot". Which falls in line with the idea that Brandon has more/equal power than the GM and he's still pulling strings behind the scenes.

Whaley OTOH sucks and that goes without saying.

SpikedLemonade
03-16-2017, 08:50 PM
A WR would be a waste just as Sammy was.

Turf
03-16-2017, 09:03 PM
Deleted.

Seriously, are you mods all asleep or what. I mean on so many levels of racism and improper content, where are you? How can you let this stuff on here. If this is appropriate open it up and say so. Otherwise deal with it and fix it.

Skooby
03-16-2017, 09:07 PM
With our luck, one of our recent FA pickups plays off the chart and our early draft pick is a back-up.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously, are you mods all asleep or what. I mean on so many levels of racism and improper content, where are you? How can you let this stuff on here. If this is appropriate open it up and say so. Otherwise deal with it and fix it.
Are you F-N kidding me ??

J/K.

Ed
03-16-2017, 09:13 PM
I think I prefer WR Corey Davis over Mike Williams, but I'd be happy with either. I'm seeing a lot of mocks that have Williams going before the Bills pick, so I don't think they can count on him being there. Unless they make a significant move between now and the draft I think WR at #10 is the most likely, but my next guess would be TE OJ Howard.

TacklingDummy
03-16-2017, 09:18 PM
Okay but let's talk about Russ Brandon for a second.

Given the popularity of the NFL and the realities of revenue sharing, a team has to literally try to not make money. It's not like Brandon is selling ice to an Eskimo. He's got the easiest job on the planet. NFL franchises are literally insulated from even a remote possibility of losing money.

Terry Pegula admitted as recently as January that Russ Brandon is not just a marketing guy. He is in the film room, he works with the scouts, he meets with potential coaches/players, etc etc. And Whaley has publicly stated he doesn't know what Brandon is in charge of, he just knows it's "a lot". Which falls in line with the idea that Brandon has more/equal power than the GM and he's still pulling strings behind the scenes.

Whaley OTOH sucks and that goes without saying.

Brandon's #1 job is to sell tickets. He gets an A+ for that.

TacklingDummy
03-16-2017, 09:26 PM

Go back to the BuffaloBills.com forum...lol

Turf
03-16-2017, 09:56 PM
Go back to the BuffaloBills.com forum...lol

Just state the rules. You mean I can say Spiked is a stupid dumb whatever? State the rules. If you can say yellow, you can say anything else. JUST ****IN STATE IT.

TacklingDummy
03-16-2017, 09:59 PM
Just state the rules. You mean I can say Spiked is a stupid dumb whatever? State the rules. If you can say yellow, you can say anything else. JUST ****IN STATE IT.

We all know spiked is a "stupid dumb ****" from Canada, but we still love him.

Turf
03-16-2017, 10:02 PM

I hate entitled reverse racism. You can't have it both ways.

Cali512
03-16-2017, 11:15 PM
Spikey is such an embarrassment to our fan base.

Cali512
03-16-2017, 11:16 PM

I think you and forward lateral are the only one who doesn't want to shoot the ******

Scumbag College
03-16-2017, 11:32 PM
I can see the Bills taking Ross at #10. If Tyrod can do one thing besides run, is that he can throw a pretty good deep ball. Having to respect deep fly patterns from the guy that ran the fastest Combine 40 ever might open up some matchup problems for opposing defenses having to bring a safety over the top to guard against that. Then Sammy is left 1-1 and/or it's LBs on Clay and Shady out of the backfield.

X-Era
03-17-2017, 05:22 AM
Mike Williams or Corey Davis. I'm good either way.

TacklingDummy
03-17-2017, 06:20 AM
I can see the Bills taking Ross at #10. If Tyrod can do one thing besides run, is that he can throw a pretty good deep ball. Having to respect deep fly patterns from the guy that ran the fastest Combine 40 ever might open up some matchup problems for opposing defenses having to bring a safety over the top to guard against that. Then Sammy is left 1-1 and/or it's LBs on Clay and Shady out of the backfield.

Problem is we had the fastest guy in the NFL (Goodwin) and that didn't help much.

Is Ross a good WR or are people just impressed with his 40 time?

SpikedLemonade
03-17-2017, 09:14 AM
Spikey is such an embarrassment to our fan base.

GO F URSELF

Dr. Lecter
03-17-2017, 09:29 AM
Please report something like this (or PM one of us) and we will deal with it.

Quoting it only makes it appear twice.......

Jan Reimers
03-17-2017, 10:30 AM
I see Williams as a big, strong, game-breaking red zone monster. I would love to get him at 10.

JoeMama
03-17-2017, 10:35 AM
I see Williams as a big, strong, game-breaking red zone monster. I would love to get him at 10.

Agreed. I can see him being legit in the NFL. If Sammy remains healthy (TBF a long shot) and Williams is opposite him, suddenly we look passably stronger at WR. Walter Powell shows some promise as a #3, perhaps Philly Brown too. And with Clay at TE (usually open if TT can learn to get the ball in his hands), maybe we'll have enough options for our future franchise quarterback to excel.

Mahdi
03-17-2017, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't mind Mike Williams or even John Ross in round 1 but I doubt it.

Night Train
03-17-2017, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't mind Mike Williams or even John Ross in round 1 but I doubt it.

Ross, I want nothing to do with. Small... past and lingering injuries. Looks like an All-Whirlpool member that may like IR a bit much.

Williams and Davis I completely understand.

Ed
03-17-2017, 11:51 AM
I don't think Ross is jus a speed guy, but they'll have Listenbee to provide a deep threat.

Bill Cody
03-17-2017, 12:16 PM
Mike Williams is a good value at 10 but I don't want a WR, just a waste with Tie Rod at QB

Also the Bills could use like 12 picks not 6. I think you try real hard to move down and add choices. Take Trub around 20 or so. Buying spare parts for a car with no engine is Buffalo Bills logic and why we are where we are for 2 decades.

JoeMama
03-17-2017, 12:18 PM
Mike Williams is a good value at 10 but I don't want a WR, just a waste with Tie Rod at QB

Also the Bills could use like 12 picks not 6. I think you try real hard to move down and add choices. Take Trub around 20 or so. Buying spare parts for a car with no engine is Buffalo Bills logic and why we are where we are for 2 decades.

True but it never hurts to draft with the future in mind. Tyrod ain't going to be our QB for much longer. So we shouldn't make all our personnel decisions based around Tyrod's deficiencies.

We obviously aren't going to win in 2017, so take a potential game changer in Mike Williams and cross your fingers we find a franchise QB somehow someway.

That way, said franchise QB can walk into a good situation where he has plenty of receiving options.

Bill Cody
03-17-2017, 12:24 PM
True but it never hurts to draft with the future in mind. Tyrod ain't going to be our QB for much longer. So we shouldn't make all our personnel decisions based around Tyrod's deficiencies.

We obviously aren't going to win in 2017, so take a potential game changer in Mike Williams and cross your fingers we find a franchise QB somehow someway.

That way, said franchise QB can walk into a good situation where he has plenty of receiving options.

Right. That was the logic with the Watkins pick. It was dumb then and it's dumb now. Trubisky is a potential stud QB. The main knock on him is he only has one year as a starter. That's a legit knock but it's also why you could nab you future signal caller at 20. That's literally 1000x more important than a stud receiver if you understand the way the league works. NE has won 5 times in 15 years and have never spent a 1st on a receiver until they used the last pick just now in the trade with NO.

Job 1: Find a QB
Job 2: Find a QB
Job 3: Find a QB
Job 4: Anything else

TacklingDummy
03-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Right. That was the logic with the Watkins pick. It was dumb then and it's dumb now. Trubisky is a potential stud QB. The main knock on him is he only has one year as a starter. That's a legit knock but it's also why you could nab you future signal caller at 20. That's literally 1000x more important than a stud receiver if you understand the way the league works. NE has won 5 times in 15 years and have never spent a 1st on a receiver until they used the last pick just now in the trade with NO.

There's only 1 Tom Brady.

JoeMama
03-17-2017, 12:37 PM

Why does Watkins spell doom for Williams? That doesn't make sense. Just because Watkins is too oft-injured to reach his potential doesn't mean drafting Williams will result in more of the same.

But yes, I'm with you on QB.

Problem is, this is a particularly weak draft class for QBs.

I'm not sure I would invest in any QB at #10. Maybe Patrick Mahomes II in the 2nd is worth a look. Maybe if we trade down in the first round, Mitch Trubisky makes sense.

Reaching on a QB at #10 sounds a lot like reaching for Watkins than if we drafted a WR instead.

Bill Cody
03-17-2017, 12:38 PM
There's only 1 Tom Brady.

I'm just giving my opinion. It's worth exactly nothing. I ain't the GM. Either way in 4 hours and 39 minutes I'll be walking to the bar.

Bill Cody
03-17-2017, 12:41 PM
Why does Watkins spell doom for Williams? That doesn't make sense. Just because Watkins is too oft-injured to reach his potential doesn't mean drafting Williams will result in more of the same.

But yes, I'm with you on QB.

Problem is, this is a particularly weak draft class for QBs.

I'm not sure I would invest in any QB at #10. Maybe Patrick Mahomes II in the 2nd is worth a look. Maybe if we trade down in the first round, Mitch Trubisky makes sense.

Reaching on a QB at #10 sounds a lot like reaching for Watkins than if we drafted a WR instead.

Did you read my post? I suggested trading down and taking Trubisky at 20

Williams is a good player, I said as much. I just think he'll spend the next 2 years running hard on post routes and never getting the ball.

JoeMama
03-17-2017, 12:41 PM
PS - the more I research Mitch Trubisky the more I like him.

Having only 1 year as a starter under is belt is a red flag but there's a lot to like beyond that.

JoeMama
03-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Did you read my post? I suggested trading down and taking Trubisky at 20

Williams is a good player, I said as much. I just think he'll spend the next 2 years running hard on post routes and never getting the ball.

I did, I just didn't follow what you meant when you said 20 without referring to a trade down, which I suppose was intuitive but hey, I missed it. We're on the same page now.

Trubisky = totally worth it at 20.

Bill Cody
03-17-2017, 12:47 PM
BTW I barely watch the draft these days and I don't do any serious research on players like I used to. It's just too painful. You think you know a few things and you have some ideas and then Buffalo drafts a bust like Maybin or a luxury pick like Spiller. I would put Williams in the luxury pick category but what do I know? Shrug

Bill Cody
03-17-2017, 12:48 PM
I did, I just didn't follow what you meant when you said 20 without referring to a trade down, which I suppose was intuitive but hey, I missed it. We're on the same page now.

Trubisky = totally worth it at 20.

my trade down post was earlier but no worries, believe me I'm not stressing it. 3 hours 9 minutes to go.

JoeMama
03-17-2017, 12:55 PM
BTW I barely watch the draft these days and I don't do any serious research on players like I used to. It's just too painful. You think you know a few things and you have some ideas and then Buffalo drafts a bust like Maybin or a luxury pick like Spiller. I would put Williams in the luxury pick category but what do I know? Shrug

Yeah I have to admit two years of Rex Ryan really took the wind out of my sails. I've never been so disengaged as a Bills fan. It felt like he was the face of the franchise and he's a ****ing clown. Thus Rex left me feeling really aloof about the draft the last two years because I considered Rex a coaching disaster since day one.

But on a more shallow level, it's fun to evaluate QB's based strictly upon whether or not they have a cool, traditional sounding QB names, which often portends good things. Mitch Trubisky is a good QB name.

Bill Cody
03-17-2017, 01:12 PM
Yeah I have to admit two years of Rex Ryan really took the wind out of my sails. I've never been so disengaged as a Bills fan. It felt like he was the face of the franchise and he's a ****ing clown. Thus Rex left me feeling really aloof about the draft the last two years because I considered Rex a coaching disaster since day one.

But on a more shallow level, it's fun to evaluate QB's based strictly upon whether or not they have a cool, traditional sounding QB names, which often portends good things. Mitch Trubisky is a good QB name.

Makes sense to me, the Rex signing was just one more sign the circus was still in town.

And yeah lol Mitch Trubisky is a cool name. He prefers "Mitchell" to "Mitch" though (true fact)

But I really think Trub has a chance to be good. And the fact that he's green is ok, we're not going to start him for a year or two anyway. By then you'd have a good idea what you have. Is that worth a middle 1st gamble with this team? Hell yeah it is.

Mouldsie
03-17-2017, 04:49 PM
Trubisky is awful and will not amount to anything in the NFL. Bank on it. He has trouble identifying coverages especially post-snap. His arm is not bad but it's nothing special. Poor mechanics. Inexperienced. Spotty accuracy, like pretty much everyone in this class. For sure, I see nothing about him that's better ON THE FIELD than Chad Kelly.

Awful is a strong word, hes better than I could ever hope to be of course.

I think this is my ranking of the 2017 QB class right now:
Kizer
Kelly
*drop-off*
Mahomes
*drop-off*
Evans
Watson
Trubisky
Webb
Peterman
Kaaya
Dobbs

Debating moving Peterman up, that last group is all fairly even. Jerod Evans might be the most underrated guy right now. He's got tools and character to work with that give him a higher ceiling IMO than the other guys in that grouping.

Mouldsie
03-17-2017, 04:54 PM

If what Tyrod can do is throw deep and to the outside wouldn't you want to give him outside targets?

I personally hate drafting WR's high unless they are all world players but the logic makes more sense based on people's characterization of his play than it would if we had a Brady who makes players around him better.

Mouldsie
03-17-2017, 04:56 PM

I also hate that Rex had so much control over our draft SEEMINGLY.

IDK if Whaley takes Lawson, Ragland, Washington, Steward, & Darby if Wrex isnt around..... which means what is Whaley's actual job? Was he told to give Rex what he wants? Is he now being told to give McDermott what he wants? Why isnt the GM in charge of the coach? etc etc

YardRat
03-17-2017, 05:04 PM
Personally I think the final say on player acquisition should be the head coach anyway, after a healthy conversation with the front office of course. Gotta give a guy who knows what kind of player he wants to build what kind of team he wants and give him the opportunity to succeed or fail. I've never liked the 'It's my job to get the players and his job to coach them' mentality.

Mouldsie
03-17-2017, 05:11 PM
Personally I think the final say on player acquisition should be the head coach anyway, after a healthy conversation with the front office of course. Gotta give a guy who knows what kind of player he wants to build what kind of team he wants and give him the opportunity to succeed or fail. I've never liked the 'It's my job to get the players and his job to coach them' mentality.

I think synergy is important.... and in that way it makes sense to me that the GM pick the coach and the coach and GM be on the same page philosophically.

As a GM though I would prefer a Chan Gailey than a Rick Dennison as my OC because then I can just collect the best players in many cases and he can assemble them...

Now the coach is gone but we have 2 years of acquiring his players. Pegs picked the coach. GM is still here. It's weird.

Turf
03-17-2017, 06:34 PM
The more I think about, they'll take Kelly in the 3rd. Just think of the fans flocking to see him in training camp. Has Brandon written all over it.

stuckincincy
03-17-2017, 09:46 PM
1) the Bills are desperate for a #1 WR
2) the Bills need WR
3) The Bills love Clemson players
4) The Bills are due to get a star from Clemson...CJ Spiller, Sammy Watkins, and Shaw Lawson have been huge disappointments.
5) Watkins will be gone after this year.

I'd be ok with getting any of the Top 3 receivers with the 1st pick.

Him, or whoever tops their charts at their top pick.

It's a need that screams. BUF picked Dareus, CIN picked AJ Greene. ATL picked Julio Jones.

Case closed.