PDA

View Full Version : Zach Brown courtship sours quickly for Raiders

Wally The Barber
03-18-2017, 05:36 PM
Zach Brown (http://247sports.com/Player/Zach-Brown-11559) has left the building — without a contract.
According to ESPN's Adam Caplan (https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/842509746284498944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw), a potential deal between the Oakland Raiders and this particular free-agent linebacker "looks like a no-go right now."

Brown and the Raiders may have been far apart in talks. Perhaps so far apart that Brown was offended. That's the conclusion some are drawing from a pair of tweets sent out from his account after the visit had concluded.
Caplan noted in his report (https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/842509746284498944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw) that things could change between Brown and the Raiders in time, but Brown's tweets make it seem unlikely that he will be back in the Bay Area.
Brown, 27, is a former second-round pick of the Tennessee Titans. He spent his first four seasons with the Titans, then enjoyed a breakout season with the Buffalo Bills in 2016. The 6-foot-1, 248-pound middle linebacker posted the second most tackles in the NFL (149), as well as four sacks, two forced fumbles and an interception.
Inside linebacker was one of Oakland's biggest weaknesses last season, and the unit is even weaker now that both of last year's starters are no longer on the roster. Brown is the exact type of linebacker they need, it's not great for them that he left without a contract.

http://oak.247sports.com/Bolt/Zach-Brown-courtship-sours-quickly-for-Raiders-51814083 (http://oak.247sports.com/Bolt/Zach-Brown-courtship-sours-quickly-for-Raiders-51814083)

YardRat
03-18-2017, 05:56 PM
Bring him back.

Scumbag College
03-18-2017, 07:47 PM
He's the only UFA I really wanted back. I'd think with the success of Carolina's LBs the past few seasons and his speed, Z. Brown would be a perfect fit for this defense.

Jaybird
03-18-2017, 07:49 PM
i see him playing WLB.... we should try and make this happen.

Mr. Miyagi
03-18-2017, 08:24 PM
I'd love for us to draft TJ Watt in the second. But Zach would be great too.

I'm loving how we're doing in the FA. Andre Holmes fills a need at WR from must draft in the first round to best corner/LB/WR available. I like what's going on.

BertSquirtgum
03-19-2017, 12:31 AM
I hope ZB signs back with Bills. We could really use him. I think his agent is asking too much money.

jamze132
03-19-2017, 05:36 AM
Don't we have Ragland?

BertSquirtgum
03-19-2017, 06:01 AM
Don't we have Ragland?
How much is the mashed potato cartilage in his knees going to last?

swiper
03-19-2017, 06:05 AM
Depends how much gravy the doctors have injected.

Night Train
03-19-2017, 06:28 AM
I think the Bills see him as a MLB/ILB. The Bills already have Preston Brown and Reggie Ragland there.

I don't care where players are currently listed on the depth chart. Need someone who can run,edge rush and cover outside. This is why I brought up Reddick of Temple or Cunningham of Vandy in previous threads

X-Era
03-19-2017, 06:49 AM
Get him back. Agree Yardie.

He was the most likely fit at WLB out of our group. But we brought Zo back instead. Now that we hear his asking price was very different then what the Raiders would offer, I think that may be why the Bills didn't re-sign him.

Could be a case where he thinks he's worth more than he is. Time will bring his price down and hopefully he can come back to the Bills.

But then we will have to figure out how to play everyone... or release someone.

My guess is it would be SLB- Alexander, MLB- Ragland, WLB -Brown with Preston Brown on the bench.

The better question is what do we do if we don't bring Brown back. Who plays WLB? Ragland? I didn't think he had the speed/range to play there.

YardRat
03-19-2017, 07:17 AM
I still think LorAx would be more effective playing an end in this defense, rotating with Hughes and Lawson, but if they don't add anybody else at OLB he could be plugged in there. At this point I'm leaning more and more towards boarding the Night Train...trade down and get the best, most athletic OLB in the first and pencil him in as a starter, get a WR or DB in the second.

YardRat
03-19-2017, 07:19 AM
FWIW I also don't think a WLB is going to see too many snaps in this defense anyway. Should be the first player off the field in favor of that hybrid S/LB guy that McDermott likes to have on the field almost 75% of the time.

Turf
03-19-2017, 08:40 AM
Odd that a LB that made the pro bowl has so little interest.

Buddo
03-19-2017, 12:05 PM
You have to assume that word has got around about what sort of money he wants, and nobody is that interested in paying it.

By NFL standards, he's never had a big payday, and you have to assume that he's looking for one, especially after making the Pro-Bowl.

I don't know if the Bills have stayed in touch, or not, or even if they want to keep him, although it would make sense to, imho. Thing is, if he's being viewed as a 2 down backer, then he isn't going to get the sort of offers he'd like, even from the Bills.

Goobylal
03-19-2017, 04:00 PM
I hope he comes back. Removes a need in the draft.

YardRat
03-20-2017, 02:00 PM
Going to visit Miami.

Kenny
03-20-2017, 02:23 PM
Going to visit Miami.

Saw that. They've got about the same remaining cap $$$ left as we do. So if Brown is expecting a monster deal, he likely wont get it there.
Hoping that he comes back to Buffalo for at least another year. The defensive unit is pretty much the same as last year save for some changes in the secondary. The scheme's going to change, but familiarity with existing players should help him excel, - if he's looking to do another 'prove it' year.

Wally The Barber
03-20-2017, 04:53 PM
This was the only good thread this week

YardRat
03-20-2017, 04:53 PM
This was the only good thread this week

It's only Monday...hang in there.