Bringing back Alexander
Re-signing Mills- Insurance at RT
Bringing in Ducasse- depth
Re-signing Groy- Depth and insurance for Wood
Signing Micah Hyde- starter at SS
Signing Poyer- Starter at FS
Letting Gilmore walk- leaves a big hole
Letting Wood sign elsewhere and not replacing him- leaves a big hole

So how does that shape our biggest needs at this point? What are the biggest needs?

WR
CB
Backup QB
Upgrade at RT
WLB

My thought on the draft:

Rd 1 (10)- Mike Williams, WR, Clemson- Exactly the big type of WR2 we have wanted to pair with Sammy for a while
Rd 2 (44)- Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech- Primary backup to Tyrod who may give us a solid option at sttarter in 18 if we choose to let Tyrod walk after this year
Rd 3 (75)- Adoree Jackson, CB, USC- Playmaking CB who can also be the primary returner. Not a sure fire CB1 but the hope will be that he can battle with Seymour or a late add vet to be the CB2 with Darby stepping up into the CB1 role
Rd 5 (139)- Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell- Small school sleeper who has the size and movement to possibly surprise at RT
Rd 5 (152)- Jehu Chesson, WR, Michigan- Big Fast WR who does well getting the ball when covered
Rd 6 (169)- Nate Hairston, CB, Temple- Raw but rangy

And if it goes that way we would have played to the strengths of the draft by grabbing 2 WR's and 2 CB's from a draft that's strong in them while getting one of the top QB prospects out of the 1st round.

Now the only downside of moving toward bigger possession type WR's is that Tyrod will hold the ball when the guys have tight coverage. He's going to have to learn to throw at possession WR's when they have DB's close to them. It's a trust thing. But, he shys away from it. I hope he will take more chances and that these guys will make him glad he did.

YardRat
03-19-2017, 07:26 AM
Yeah I'm thinking we're going to get mostly skill position players out of this draft.

Turf
03-19-2017, 08:37 AM
Not a bad scenario at all. I hope Williams is still there at 10. I hope the Bills don't get tricked into trading up for someone they want. I do think they might go corner in the 2nd and reach for Kelly in the 3rd or 5th, maybe they trade up from the 5th to 4th. The marketing aspect of Kelly is too strong for them. Aside from Kelly's knee, I would like to know what they know about his mental condition.

Night Train
03-19-2017, 09:38 AM
So how does that shape our biggest needs at this point? What are the biggest needs?

WR
CB
Backup QB
Upgrade at RT
WLB

I think you should shift #5 to #1. They literally have nothing at OLB at present. WR has added Holmes, Brown and a couple others. No stars but Woods was no star. They will draft another WR somewhere but OLB and Secondary look far more likely with a Defensive minded coach.

YardRat
03-19-2017, 09:41 AM
Not a bad scenario at all. I hope Williams is still there at 10. I hope the Bills don't get tricked into trading up for someone they want. I do think they might go corner in the 2nd and reach for Kelly in the 3rd or 5th, maybe they trade up from the 5th to 4th. The marketing aspect of Kelly is too strong for them. Aside from Kelly's knee, I would like to know what they know about his mental condition.

I heard a rumor that Chad has been turning off some teams in the personal interviews with his cockiness. Don't know how true it is, but I'd still take him.

Cali512
03-19-2017, 10:21 AM
We need a WR, but we have signed 3 already and I wonder what our plan is there. I would love Adoree but I don't want a QB in the second at all. I feel like if Mahomes was white people would see a Bryce Petty/Klien/Manziel. Instead of a Russel or Dak

sudzy
03-19-2017, 10:43 AM
The draft is shaping up good for the Bills. They could almost go BPA. Williams, Lattimore, either Safety... Really anyone but Fournette. Get a stud 1st and if it's not a WR or CB, the draft is so deep at those spot they can find starters in the 2nd and 3rd.

Ed
03-19-2017, 10:47 AM
I would also move WLB up so it's also in the mix with WR and CB. At least at CB they have a young guy with some intriguing talent that could step up in Seymour.

I'd also add TE to their wish list since they seemed to pursue TE in FA pretty hard. It sounds like they will want to run a lot of 2-TE sets, so I would expect that to be one of the picks in the first 4 rounds.

Turf
03-19-2017, 10:56 AM
I'm no draft expert, but I see Michael Irvin in Williams.

mdcas22
03-19-2017, 12:45 PM
I look for the Bills to trade down and go defense. I don't see them going offense if Mcermott is calling the shots.

DesertFox24
03-19-2017, 02:53 PM
I could see a de or
dt as well

TigerJ
03-19-2017, 06:44 PM
I would guess their big board is close to being complete, to be altered only with minor tweaks between now and draft weekend.

Luisito23
03-19-2017, 08:54 PM
I like Williams at 10, just hate that he has neck concerns and with our luck, I hate it even more.

psubills62
03-19-2017, 09:07 PM
I heard a rumor that Chad has been turning off some teams in the personal interviews with his cockiness. Don't know how true it is, but I'd still take him.
Sounds completely unlike him.

Buddo
03-20-2017, 05:46 AM
TE would seem to be a distinct possibility. On several grounds, not least of which, is the fact that it's supposedly a terrific class this year.

While I like Clay, his overall fitness concerns me, specifically the knee issues that he is already managing.

It would be wise to pick up someone who can be a long term solution at the position, and can relieve him as well, hopefully prolonging his career.

I think I'd rather see a quality TE pick, than yet another WR, tbh, as I believe it will be a better long term pick. There are always WRs you can get in any draft, whereas you aren't always going to see TE classes that are supposedly this good.

As we are supposedly going to be running a fair few 2 TE sets, then it would be nice to have 2 guys who are all around performers, so as to less likely tip our hand as to which one is the outlet on any given play.

In terms of pure 'need', I think LBer is at the top of the list, but much depends on what they want from one. I'd assume that they are going to be looking at slightly smaller, faster guys, who have coverage skills, so they may not feel the need to go after one immediately, if they see a number of options after the first round.

I'm not entirely against taking a QB, but I don't see any value in this class until much later rounds. We do need a backup, but I would rather prefer a vet, than having two guys who we are trying to develop. I'm not comfortable with the idea of Jones being the actual backup this year, but if he makes progress this year, then he should be looking at that role next year, or possibly even supplanting whatever vet we bring in, later on this season. Jones has way too much arm talent, to not be given a proper chance at developing.

There's still some time before we get to the draft, and I expect the odd extra hole to be plugged before then. While we aren't doing so bad for likely starters (both lines returning is important), we are struggling for depth.

We really need to be looking to trade back, somewhere in this draft, as only having 6 picks, may not be enough to fill in the roster later on.

Kenny
03-20-2017, 07:24 AM
TE would seem to be a distinct possibility. On several grounds, not least of which, is the fact that it's supposedly a terrific class this year.

While I like Clay, his overall fitness concerns me, specifically the knee issues that he is already managing.

It would be wise to pick up someone who can be a long term solution at the position, and can relieve him as well, hopefully prolonging his career.

I think I'd rather see a quality TE pick, than yet another WR, tbh, as I believe it will be a better long term pick. There are always WRs you can get in any draft, whereas you aren't always going to see TE classes that are supposedly this good.

As we are supposedly going to be running a fair few 2 TE sets, then it would be nice to have 2 guys who are all around performers, so as to less likely tip our hand as to which one is the outlet on any given play.

In terms of pure 'need', I think LBer is at the top of the list, but much depends on what they want from one. I'd assume that they are going to be looking at slightly smaller, faster guys, who have coverage skills, so they may not feel the need to go after one immediately, if they see a number of options after the first round.

I'm not entirely against taking a QB, but I don't see any value in this class until much later rounds. We do need a backup, but I would rather prefer a vet, than having two guys who we are trying to develop. I'm not comfortable with the idea of Jones being the actual backup this year, but if he makes progress this year, then he should be looking at that role next year, or possibly even supplanting whatever vet we bring in, later on this season. Jones has way too much arm talent, to not be given a proper chance at developing.

There's still some time before we get to the draft, and I expect the odd extra hole to be plugged before then. While we aren't doing so bad for likely starters (both lines returning is important), we are struggling for depth.

We really need to be looking to trade back, somewhere in this draft, as only having 6 picks, may not be enough to fill in the roster later on.
I like Howard, and TE is kind of a need, but at #10? Here's a question, would you trade the #10 overall pick for Eric Ebron? Because that's what I think you'll get with OJ Howard.

Turf
03-20-2017, 08:26 AM
We'd better not draft TE at 10. I remember stupid was going to draft TE at 10 before they made the Watkins deal. No way man.

Joe Fo Sho
03-20-2017, 09:04 AM
We'd better not draft TE at 10. I remember stupid was going to draft TE at 10 before they made the Watkins deal. No way man.

My thoughts exactly. We already have a TE that we don't know how to use.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-20-2017, 12:41 PM
At @10, you want to draft a probowler regardless of position. If they are not convinced someone are in this category, trade down to get more quality for this supposedly quality draft

Wally The Barber
03-21-2017, 12:57 PM
The Bills have a wish list???

We already signed every cheap ass player available

jimmifli
03-21-2017, 06:34 PM
Letting Wood sign elsewhere and not replacing him- leaves a big hole
I think Holmes is the #2 WR replacement. He's a good WR that was stuck on the depth chart in Oakland. He's a good compliment to Sammy and most Raider fans think he can be a solid number 2. He got the chance to start due to injury in 2014 and put up Woods like numbers. Since then he's been limited.

I suspect Whaley will look to add a WR later with the goal to fill the 3rd WR spot. I'd be surprised by a 1st round WR pick, unless we trade down.

X-Era
03-21-2017, 07:38 PM
I think Holmes is the #2 WR replacement. He's a good WR that was stuck on the depth chart in Oakland. He's a good compliment to Sammy and most Raider fans think he can be a solid number 2. He got the chance to start due to injury in 2014 and put up Woods like numbers. Since then he's been limited.

I suspect Whaley will look to add a WR later with the goal to fill the 3rd WR spot. I'd be surprised by a 1st round WR pick, unless we trade down.Considering Brown may come back at WLB. What do you predict in the 1st?

I'd say CB but Lattimore may be gone and Jones just got injured... In fact I could see us taking Jones in the 2nd despite the achilles. 1st round talent in the 2nd ala Jaylon Smith last year. Maybe even later due to the injury.

Personally, the draft is so deep at CB, I'd rather wait on that until the 2nd or even 3rd and get the WR earlier.

YardRat
03-21-2017, 07:56 PM
It's a deep draft for both WR and D-back this season. If we managed to trade down and pick up another second, we may get three instant starters the first two days.

jimmifli
03-21-2017, 08:03 PM
It's a deep draft for both WR and D-back this season. If we managed to trade down and pick up another second, we may get three instant starters the first two days.

That's what I'd like. I also consider drafting injured players like trading for next year's draft pick. So 1st round talent in the second round is like trading a 2017 2nd rounder for a 2018 1st. I'm all for it if there is little risk of being chronic.

SpikedLemonade
03-21-2017, 09:13 PM
I have a wish list as well...

My wish that the entire Bills management, coaching and scouting staff be locked up in Kim's Master Bedroom in Florida during Draft Day and we here be allowed to make the draft choices that day.

jimmifli
03-21-2017, 10:47 PM
Considering Brown may come back at WLB. What do you predict in the 1st?

I'd say CB but Lattimore may be gone and Jones just got injured... In fact I could see us taking Jones in the 2nd despite the achilles. 1st round talent in the 2nd ala Jaylon Smith last year. Maybe even later due to the injury.

Personally, the draft is so deep at CB, I'd rather wait on that until the 2nd or even 3rd and get the WR earlier.

I won't be surprised by QB or OJ. They've invested sometime looking at the QB position, if they like one it wouldn't surprise me at all to see that in the first.

I think the time they spent looking at TE in free agency is revealing as well. So OJ if he's on the board could be the play. A two TE plus FB set can be a good power set but all four can also catch and run routes, so that creates mismatches. It wouldn't surprise me if they join the two TE trend by going after the best receiver in the draft.

endzone
03-23-2017, 12:25 AM
A big, quick WR!

Cali512
03-23-2017, 12:28 AM
Best plan is to get a playmaker in the first, even with a trade down, and then a DB in the 2nd. In the 3rd we should try to get either a LB if we don't get Brown, or another WR

Kenny
03-23-2017, 06:47 AM
A big, quick WR!

None in the draft this year. You have big (Williams), fast (Ross), and somewhere in between (Davis).

Im just hoping one of these guys falls to 10: Adams, Hooker or Lattimore.

YardRat
03-23-2017, 04:41 PM
I'm surprised nobody has brought up health issues regarding WR's Williams and Davis. If we actually end up snagging one of them is three quarters of the board going to go ballistic again for drafting players with obvious physical issues in their past?