PDA

View Full Version : Coach Sal (Women's Soccer) Breaks Down Bills Current Positional Needs

SpikedLemonade
03-19-2017, 11:23 PM
CAPACCIO: Ranking the Bills current positional needs
Still plenty of work to be done on roster
We’re just over one week into NFL free agency. The Bills have signed 13 new players, yet still have over 30 roster spots to fill before going to camp with a full complement of 90 players.

Here’s a breakdown of how I still see their current needs, ranked by positional group:

1. Cornerback

The team’s top corner, Stephon Gilmore, signed with the Patriots. They cut nickel man Nickell Robey-Coleman. Corey White is a free agent and yet to sign anywhere. Right now, the Bills currently have five players at the position: Ronald Darby, Kevon Seymour, Leonard Johnson, Charles Gaines, and Marcus Roberson. Darby struggled last year after a tremendous rookie season. Seymour got some valuable playing time but was up and down, as should be expected with any rookie. Johnson is the most experienced player of the group, playing 62 games in his career, but has primarily been a backup through five NFL seasons. The other three players have started a combined 13 games in the NFL. This spot has a serious depth issue right now and there’s certainly an argument that the top two could be upgraded, as well.

2. Wide receiver

Andre Holmes was signed and is, as of right now, the number-two wideout behind Sammy Watkins. He has terrific size and is considered an excellent route runner. But only 28 receptions over the past two seasons is not the most inspiring second option on paper. After that it’s a host of players who will be fighting for spots with one another, and some even just to make the roster. Jeremy Butler, Corey “Philly” Brown, and Corey Washington are newcomers added with Dezmin Lewis and Walter Powell from last year. Kolby Listenbee will finally suit up after missing a year with an injury. I’m sure the team is banking on one or two of these players to really step up now that they’ll be given an opportunity they may not have had elsewhere, but any one of them would be seen as a number-three WR at best on most rosters until they prove that. Last year, the Bills brought 13 WRs to training camp (including Listenbee and Marcus Easley who never dressed). Right now they have eight on the roster. Another solid option is needed at the top and certainly more depth and competition.

3. Offensive tackle

Specifically the right side is the bigger need, but there are depth issues all around here. Cordy Glenn is the entrenched starter on the left side, but he was rarely fully healthy last year and missed five games. Behind him and on the other side there are a whole lot of question marks. Cyrus Kouandjio, Glenn’s backup who started the five games he missed, fell at home in January and had hip surgery. Seantrel Henderson, a swing tackle who played primarily on the right, is suspended the first five games of next year. The right side starter all season last year, Jordan Mills, is back. But he was wildly inconsistent and the $4 million, two-year deal he signed suggests the team isn’t totally sold on him being the main man there once again. Both recently signed Vlad Ducasse and Ryan Groy can play that spot if needed, but it’s neither of their more natural position. Both are mainly interior players.......

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/opinion/capaccio-ranking-bills-current-positional-needs

PrimeTime
03-20-2017, 04:05 AM
WR's.. still plenty in FA.

Justin Blackmon from the Jags
Brian Quick from the rams
Jaron Brown from Arizona

just to name a few.. these are mid- late 20's with plenty of potential. I think we address WR in 3rd round

CB's in FA left (keep in mind.. I think Darby does much better this year under better system that fits him.)

Malcom Butler got tendered by the Patriots.. Remember that big play last Super Bowl? this guy is product of hard work and not system. Jump all over this..

Ross Cockrell from Steelers.. Id jump all over this guy also.

Both can start But I think we move to around 20 in Draft and pick up a guy like Desmond King. King is a jack of all trades.. he can play FS. S. Corner and do well.

OT Available FA
Nothing that is a pure starter at right side

Our first pick in the second round Buffalo Bills Select...

Dion Dawkins.. This guy is NFL ready and could even steal starter on left side and push Glen to right side.

These are my thoughts..

Ty for OP

jamze132
03-20-2017, 06:38 AM
I'd love to get Butler. Graded much higher than Gilmore last year.

Kenny
03-20-2017, 07:20 AM
I'd love to get Butler. Graded much higher than Gilmore last year.

I think Butler got the first round tender? A bit too risky.. not only would he want a long term contract $$$, we'd be giving NE the #10.

I'd rank our needs (in order):
1. CB/S
2. LB or WR

Given our cap and how much we've spend on WRs in FA already, I think we're done here. On S/CB, there simply isnt anyone left that's worth the cost. Bringing back Zach Brown would be a huge boost and fix a potential hole, but only if our coaching staff views him able to play on the outside. Given Brown and Ragland, we need OLB's.

At the #10 spot, we should have our pick of the second best CB (Humphrey), and any of the WRs. Foster may still be there, but does he have the range to play the outside? (or can we move Ragland outside?). MLB isnt a need, and going with Reuben looks to be a luxury pick.

To me, it's really about going after Humphrey (basically every mock has Lattilmore, Adams, and Hooker all gone), Mike Williams or Corey Davis... or finding a partner to go down in the draft (early 20s) and target a guy like (LBs) TJ Watt, Cunningham or Jabrill Peppers, or best available corner or best available WR, or Humphreys.

Yasgur's Farm
03-20-2017, 09:37 AM
We have $17-$18M remaining - $7M for rookies. I guess we'd be free to use up another $5M in FA. Leaves $5-$6M remaining to bring in off the street injury replacement during season.

TigerJ
03-20-2017, 11:38 AM
I think Sal's assessment is probably fairly accurate, except I think Buffalo needs to try and add some speed at linebacker.

YardRat
03-20-2017, 01:23 PM
No way in hell we should throw big money at Butler AND give up our first. No.

Luisito23
03-20-2017, 04:21 PM
Don't really take anything this guy says serious, so this means nada to me.

SpikedLemonade
03-20-2017, 04:39 PM
Don't really take anything this guy says serious, so this means nada to me.

He does know college women's soccer however.

SpikedLemonade
03-21-2017, 07:07 PM
No way in hell we should throw big money at Butler AND give up our first. No.

Never going to happen.