PDA

View Full Version : Wrecks' new job saving Peg's money

YardRat
03-20-2017, 01:53 PM
http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/essence-rex-ryans-espn-salary-will-going-bills.html

Citing a source, Pro Football Talk reports (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/20/rex-ryan-likely-will-be-working-for-free-at-espn/) that language in Ryan’s Bills contract applies to other coaching jobs as well as any broadcasting jobs he would gain until it expires in three years. That means that the Bills owners, Terry and Kim Pegula would be getting credit for Ryan’s pay up to his $5.5 million annual salary until 2019. It basically means ESPN’s salary is buying out Ryan’s Bills contract for the next three years. It’s interesting language, but it also protects the Bills and prevents Ryan from double dipping while the contract is still in force.

feldspar
03-20-2017, 03:19 PM
Thank heavens that multi-billionaires will save a few bucks.

I'll rest easier.

That's called sarcasm, people.

Also, nobody in this whole scenario is hurting for beer money. At least we'll be able to watch Wrecks (I'm with you now Yardie) all the time before games every Sunday, I guess.

Joe Fo Sho
03-20-2017, 03:31 PM
Is there anything preventing Rex from signing with ESPN for $1 just to stick it to the Bills? I feel like that's something Rex would do.

YardRat
03-20-2017, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I sympathize with the millionaire/billionaire viewpoint, but strictly within the context of the professional football team that's basically $5mil in cash that can be used elsewhere in the organization, maybe even as signing bonus money for another player. I sure as hell won't be watching the blowhard...I don't necessarily watch pre-game shows anymore anyway, but I'll definitely avoid whatever program he's on.

Just a word of warning, feldie...don't go down that road unless you're willing to fully commit. Once the habit is established it's impossible to break. (Not that I've ever actually tried, mind you).

YardRat
03-20-2017, 03:41 PM
Is there anything preventing Rex from signing with ESPN for $1 just to stick it to the Bills? I feel like that's something Rex would do.

I haven't seen any contract info but it certainly is possible, especially considering reports that ESPN is bleeding money and looking to cut costs.

Historian
03-21-2017, 03:33 AM
that's basically $5mil in cash that can be used elsewhere in the organization, maybe even as signing bonus money for another player.

Defenseman.

:up:

SpikedLemonade
03-21-2017, 04:02 AM
Yeah, I sympathize with the millionaire/billionaire viewpoint, but strictly within the context of the professional football team that's basically $5mil in cash that can be used elsewhere in the organization, maybe even as signing bonus money for another player. I sure as hell won't be watching the blowhard...I don't necessarily watch pre-game shows anymore anyway, but I'll definitely avoid whatever program he's on.

Just a word of warning, feldie...don't go down that road unless you're willing to fully commit. Once the habit is established it's impossible to break. (Not that I've ever actually tried, mind you).

Nope.

Coaching salaries are not subject to the cap.

A player's Signing Bonus is.

There is no lack of non-cap money in TP's wallet.

- - - Updated - - -

Defenseman.

:up:

OR a real NHL GM.

YardRat
03-21-2017, 05:57 AM
Nope.

Coaching salaries are not subject to the cap.

A player's Signing Bonus is.

There is no lack of non-cap money in TP's wallet.

It has nothing to do with the cap, rather actual cash available to spend up front. The cap only comes in to play if and when that money gets spent on a player. I don't know why some people have struggled so much with the difference over the years. Granted, $5mil is couch-cushion money for a billionaire, but it still has to come from somewhere and accounted for on the budget sheets.

Turf
03-21-2017, 06:58 AM
Figures Rex's ego is so big he'd rather travel and be on TV for the same money than stay at home and live in luxury with no obligations.

Buddo
03-22-2017, 05:45 AM
Glad to see it, mainly because by and large, the 'double dipping' thing, irritates the hell out of me. In coaches instances, it's pretty much getting paid a bonus for incompetence, although I don't find I can begrudge Schwartz getting paid twice.

With players, I'm less bothered, as they have to get whatever they can, while they can.

coastal
03-22-2017, 08:26 AM
Is he still paying Marone?

YardRat
03-22-2017, 05:10 PM
Is he still paying Marone?

Pretty sure Marrone was a buy-out that voided the remainder of the contractual obligations.

YardRat
03-22-2017, 05:11 PM
FWIW, I think it's pretty humorous that the link is to a site called 'awful announcing', because that's exactly what ESPN is going to get from Wrecks.

Mace
03-22-2017, 08:40 PM
It has nothing to do with the cap, rather actual cash available to spend up front. The cap only comes in to play if and when that money gets spent on a player. I don't know why some people have struggled so much with the difference over the years. Granted, $5mil is couch-cushion money for a billionaire, but it still has to come from somewhere and accounted for on the budget sheets.

For that matter, it's money that could be spent on better scouts, training equipment, etc etc...