PDA

View Full Version : McCOWN TO THE JETS

mdcas22
03-20-2017, 06:37 PM
Jets sign Josh McCownPosted by Michael David Smith on March 20, 2017, 7:09 PM EDT
https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/619288112-e1489462136785.jpg?w=240
Getty ImagesThe Jets have a quarterback.
Josh McCown (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2090/josh-mccown) and the Jets have agreed to a one-year contract, his agent announced on Twitter.
At the moment, McCown would appear to be the Jets’ starter. They only have two other quarterbacks under contract, Bryce Petty (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10419/bryce-petty) and Christian Hackenberg (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11297/christian-hackenberg), and neither has shown anything to indicate that he’s ready to be a starter. McCown isn’t exactly a franchise savior, but he’s a competent veteran who can hold down the fort and help Petty and Hackenberg develop.
The 37-year-old McCown started three games for the Browns last year and appeared as a backup in two others. He threw six touchdown passes and six interceptions and had a passer rating of 72.3.

Bill Cody
03-20-2017, 07:41 PM
McCown's not...he's not....he's not good

Goobylal
03-20-2017, 08:00 PM
He's not even as good as Fitz. And with no Marshall and just Decker, who is strictly a #2 WR...

Ed
03-20-2017, 09:42 PM
This is perfect. McCown is bad enough that the Jets will still be bad, but he could be good enough to keep them from getting a top pick.

The Jokeman
03-20-2017, 10:09 PM
This is perfect. McCown is bad enough that the Jets will still be bad, but he could be good enough to keep them from getting a top pick.

If he stays healthy.

The Beef
03-20-2017, 11:06 PM
Pretty clear the Jets are going hard for a top 3 pick.

And they should, they need a QB. They need a lot of things actually, I think it's a solid move for a team looking to tank without going Full Hinkie.

Wouldn't be suprised to see them move Wilkerson or Richardson for a mid-round pick in the draft. Decker too if they could get anything substantial think 4th rounder (unlikely given his season ending injury). Maybe he gets moved in training camp for a team that thinks they're a contender or suffers an injury to a starter. Tennessee would seem to make sense, maybe Washington, possibly the Chiefs.

They could've made a move for a QB who would possibly win them more games... Daniel, Cutler, or Kaepernick.

I think McCown is a great way for them to go. He might mess around and get hot early and accidentally win a game or 2, but it's unlikely.

He'll get them a couple wins the first half of the year and then they can give the reigns to Hackenberg to see if he is worth a long term look as the starter.

Ed
03-21-2017, 09:45 AM
Pretty clear the Jets are going hard for a top 3 pick.

And they should, they need a QB. They need a lot of things actually, I think it's a solid move for a team looking to tank without going Full Hinkie.

Wouldn't be suprised to see them move Wilkerson or Richardson for a mid-round pick in the draft. Decker too if they could get anything substantial think 4th rounder (unlikely given his season ending injury). Maybe he gets moved in training camp for a team that thinks they're a contender or suffers an injury to a starter. Tennessee would seem to make sense, maybe Washington, possibly the Chiefs.

They could've made a move for a QB who would possibly win them more games... Daniel, Cutler, or Kaepernick.

I think McCown is a great way for them to go. He might mess around and get hot early and accidentally win a game or 2, but it's unlikely.

He'll get them a couple wins the first half of the year and then they can give the reigns to Hackenberg to see if he is worth a long term look as the starter.
If they really wanted to tank I think it would make more sense to just stick with the young guys and let Petty and Hackenberg compete for the job.

Wally The Barber
03-21-2017, 04:52 PM
My 93 year old sister throws a better pass and she will play for free

jimmifli
03-21-2017, 07:38 PM
He's not even as good as Fitz. And with no Marshall and just Decker, who is strictly a #2 WR...
He's better than 4th quarter Fitz.

JoeMama
03-21-2017, 07:40 PM
McCown's not...he's not....he's not good

Is this loosely a Ty Webb quote?

jimmifli
03-21-2017, 07:47 PM
Is this loosely a Ty Webb quote?

Do you take drugs Joey?

YardRat
03-21-2017, 07:47 PM

We know.

JoeMama
03-21-2017, 08:27 PM
Do you take drugs Joey?

"Everyday!"

jimmifli
03-21-2017, 08:37 PM
"Everyday!"

Good. Then what's your problem?

feldspar
03-21-2017, 08:45 PM

Speaking of old, your shtick is getting pretty old already...

stuckincincy
03-21-2017, 08:54 PM
Sounds to me like they are going to draft a QB.

Night Train
03-22-2017, 06:18 AM
Geno Smith, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenburg, Fitz...

I thought the Jets had it all at QB. What happened ? :rolleyes:

Goobylal
03-22-2017, 11:44 AM
He's better than 4th quarter Fitz.

I'm better than 4th quarter Fitz.

Goobylal
03-22-2017, 11:46 AM
Sounds to me like they are going to draft a QB.

I'm hoping it's Chad Kelly in the 4th (after they trade down and pick up a 4th rounder). I'd say 5th but someone is sure to take him there and before the Bills have a chance. I just don't see another QB in this draft that's a sure thing and Kelly would be a worthwhile gamble in the 4th.

The Beef
03-23-2017, 06:47 AM
If they really wanted to tank I think it would make more sense to just stick with the young guys and let Petty and Hackenberg compete for the job.

Petty ahowed he's not ready and got killed. If they thrown in Hackenburg they could possibly go winless.

McCown will get hurt and he won't win many games. They could've signed Kep, Daniel or Cutler if they were really trying.

Ed
03-23-2017, 11:49 AM
Petty ahowed he's not ready and got killed. If they thrown in Hackenburg they could possibly go winless.

McCown will get hurt and he won't win many games. They could've signed Kep, Daniel or Cutler if they were really trying.
It just seems like a waste of time. At least with Petty and Hackenberg you can get them some valuable experience and evaluate them as potential backup options. Or maybe they surprise and show some serious potential. Going with old vets that you can't win with is pointless to me. It's no different than the Bills wasting a season playing Kyle Orton.