Why do we root for teams that always lose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zone
    No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
    • Oct 2003

Why do we root for teams that always lose?

Until you find yourself in a stadium with 65,000 Detroit Lions fans who just suffered yet another loss, you don’t know true dejection.

www.blzbus.com
  • SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Re: Why do we root for teams that always lose?

Comment

• stuckincincy
      Buffalo Bills Fan
      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by zone View Post
      Until you find yourself in a stadium with 65,000 Detroit Lions fans who just suffered yet another loss, you don’t know true dejection.

https://www.headspace.com/blog/2017/...ng-for-losers/
      To add to your woes...deadspin's analysis of the 2016 Lions:

Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Wally The Barber
        • Jul 2007

Winning or losing has nothing to do with Support.

Its city pride you *******s
        Last edited by Wally The Barber; 03-22-2017, 04:46 AM.
        Beware of Sarcasm

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
          • Jun 2024

If you look carefully, you can see Wally in the Talking Proud video.

He was also strutting his stuff in the beginning but could not keep up so he sat his fat ass down on a park bench and bought 4 hotdogs from the local hotdog vendor.

I will give Wally credit for one thing -- during the video shoot between shoots he tried to nail that lead female but he couldn't get those ridiculously high mom jeans off her so he just gave up. Too bad because you just know she had crazy 70's bush under those jeans.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Go Cubs.

Even if it takes 108 years, it eventually works.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

I've always had a soft spot for underdogs.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• bleve
                • Mar 2005

The article basically is an interview with the Professor Dr. Hirt. No real insight or opine from the author. However, from the article:
                They suffer. And yet, they keep going back for more. “That’s one of the interesting things about fans,” Hirt said. “There’s something that drives them to [keep watching] independent of how it makes them feel. Even knowing ahead of time they’re going to lose. It’s this sense of loyalty:
                I have to agree with grumpy - it's about the city. I have no loyalty to the dolts at OBD, but I continue to religiously follow the Bills because of the out-of-my-control fact I was born in that zip code.

Regarding the 1980 PSA - My friends and I have many a time fallen in a plethora of twisted states trying to emulate the dancing/singing/clapping/enthusiastic lead at the seemingly 45 degree angle. If they had YouTube back then - Buffalo's Got Talent would have been proud.
                "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
                ~ Frank Zappa

Comment

• Gibby
                  Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
                  • Jun 2006

I have no real connection with WNY, but I started following the Bills in 1990, yeah I jumped on the bandwagon when they were a very good and well run team, but stayed on because by and large when you find something you like you stick with it. I hope one day to see the football Titanic rise from the depths and be competent again and bring a Lombardi trophy back to Buffalo, God knows you guys deserve it. I guess its the perennial underdog/loveable losers that you hope become loveable winners element that I like. Anyways, been a Bills fan for 27 years, so I see no reason to stop now.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                    • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Gibby View Post
                    I have no real connection with WNY, but I started following the Bills in 1990, yeah I jumped on the bandwagon when they were a very good and well run team, but stayed on because by and large when you find something you like you stick with it. I hope one day to see the football Titanic rise from the depths and be competent again and bring a Lombardi trophy back to Buffalo, God knows you guys deserve it. I guess its the perennial underdog/loveable losers that you hope become loveable winners element that I like. Anyways, been a Bills fan for 27 years, so I see no reason to stop now.
                    I knew it.

I knew it!

A Born Again Bills Fan.

I paid my dues watching it in 1968 just before they got OJ. In those days there was no choice of games. Growing up in where I did, it the Buffalo Bills or nothing. No f'n remote. You wanted to change the channel when the Bills make you sick during a game -- you get off your ass and change the knob on the TV.

I don't want to hear about suffering.

I crap bigger than you...

Comment

• cookie G
                      • Mar 2003

If you're born in Buffalo, beign a Bills fan is a part of your DNA, you can't escape it.

"Festivus is a part of your heritage, George".

~Frank Costanza

But, as I said to Spiked in another depressing thread, following at least one successful team can keep you off the ledge.

28 straight NCAA Tourney appearances
                      13 straight conference championships
                      17 final four appearances
                      5 national championships

Its a needed counterbalance to 17 straight playoff-less years.

And at the end of April, when we waste another top draft choice on a defensive back for the umpteenth time, I'll put on some Frank Mason and Josh Jackson highlights.
                      Last edited by cookie G; 03-25-2017, 11:44 AM. Reason: screen width was wayyyy too wide

Comment

• Thurmal
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                        I've always had a soft spot for underdogs.
                        I read a very interesting article once about rooting for underdogs, and how it is almost strictly an American phenomenon. Supposedly after winning the Revolutionary War, despite being wildly outmatched, Americans took on this persona of giant-slayer, and the strong connection with the "little guy trying to make good" has essentially been passed down through American culture for generations.
                        Last edited by Thurmal; 03-25-2017, 01:18 PM.
                        "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• feldspar
                          • Mar 2007

I like football and am from Buffalo...who the **** else am I going to root for?

...doesn't take a rocket scientist...it really is that simple.

Comment

• Cali512
                            • Jan 2012

This is true. I have a soft spot when it comes to the playoffs for the underdog players or teams. 8 years ago I loved Carolina, then Seattle (with Hasselback), now I love Oakland. In the NBA I fell in love with the pistons during the Lakers championships and still root for them. When playoffs come around I wanted Cleveland to get their championship but now I hate them. Now I'm rooting for the thunder and Boston. I always figured if the bills became the dynasty I wouldn't be as big of a fan, when you expect to win the win it minimized. I even catch myself when we blowout a team to start rooting for the team in the 4th just so it's a good game. Yet I'm one of the most die hard fans you will ever meet
                            Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

I latched on to the Bad Boys before they got good and rode them through the championship years. Good times.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X