PDA

View Full Version : Why do we root for teams that always lose?

zone
03-21-2017, 09:05 PM
Until you find yourself in a stadium with 65,000 Detroit Lions fans who just suffered yet another loss, you don’t know true dejection.

https://www.headspace.com/blog/2017/03/21/rooting-for-losers/

SpikedLemonade
03-21-2017, 09:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Ive-dRXVo

stuckincincy
03-21-2017, 09:21 PM
Until you find yourself in a stadium with 65,000 Detroit Lions fans who just suffered yet another loss, you don’t know true dejection.

https://www.headspace.com/blog/2017/03/21/rooting-for-losers/

To add to your woes...deadspin's analysis of the 2016 Lions:

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2016-detroit-lions-1785297993

Wally The Barber
03-22-2017, 04:42 AM
Winning or losing has nothing to do with Support.

Its city pride you *******s

SpikedLemonade
03-22-2017, 05:40 AM
If you look carefully, you can see Wally in the Talking Proud video.

He was also strutting his stuff in the beginning but could not keep up so he sat his fat ass down on a park bench and bought 4 hotdogs from the local hotdog vendor.

I will give Wally credit for one thing -- during the video shoot between shoots he tried to nail that lead female but he couldn't get those ridiculously high mom jeans off her so he just gave up. Too bad because you just know she had crazy 70's bush under those jeans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iD0bovrZyE

Night Train
03-22-2017, 06:06 AM
Go Cubs.

Even if it takes 108 years, it eventually works.

YardRat
03-24-2017, 05:12 PM
I've always had a soft spot for underdogs.

bleve
03-24-2017, 07:48 PM
The article basically is an interview with the Professor Dr. Hirt. No real insight or opine from the author. However, from the article:

They suffer. And yet, they keep going back for more. “That’s one of the interesting things about fans,” Hirt said. “There’s something that drives them to [keep watching] independent of how it makes them feel. Even knowing ahead of time they’re going to lose. It’s this sense of loyalty:

I have to agree with grumpy - it's about the city. I have no loyalty to the dolts at OBD, but I continue to religiously follow the Bills because of the out-of-my-control fact I was born in that zip code.

Regarding the 1980 PSA - My friends and I have many a time fallen in a plethora of twisted states trying to emulate the dancing/singing/clapping/enthusiastic lead at the seemingly 45 degree angle. If they had YouTube back then - Buffalo's Got Talent would have been proud.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-25-2017, 10:37 AM
I have no real connection with WNY, but I started following the Bills in 1990, yeah I jumped on the bandwagon when they were a very good and well run team, but stayed on because by and large when you find something you like you stick with it. I hope one day to see the football Titanic rise from the depths and be competent again and bring a Lombardi trophy back to Buffalo, God knows you guys deserve it. I guess its the perennial underdog/loveable losers that you hope become loveable winners element that I like. Anyways, been a Bills fan for 27 years, so I see no reason to stop now.

SpikedLemonade
03-25-2017, 11:12 AM
I have no real connection with WNY, but I started following the Bills in 1990, yeah I jumped on the bandwagon when they were a very good and well run team, but stayed on because by and large when you find something you like you stick with it. I hope one day to see the football Titanic rise from the depths and be competent again and bring a Lombardi trophy back to Buffalo, God knows you guys deserve it. I guess its the perennial underdog/loveable losers that you hope become loveable winners element that I like. Anyways, been a Bills fan for 27 years, so I see no reason to stop now.

I knew it.

I knew it!

A Born Again Bills Fan.

I paid my dues watching it in 1968 just before they got OJ. In those days there was no choice of games. Growing up in where I did, it the Buffalo Bills or nothing. No f'n remote. You wanted to change the channel when the Bills make you sick during a game -- you get off your ass and change the knob on the TV.

I don't want to hear about suffering.

I crap bigger than you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IfzRf1DtxQ

cookie G
03-25-2017, 11:40 AM
If you're born in Buffalo, beign a Bills fan is a part of your DNA, you can't escape it.

"Festivus is a part of your heritage, George".

~Frank Costanza

But, as I said to Spiked in another depressing thread, following at least one successful team can keep you off the ledge.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kX3FoQYqfzA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

28 straight NCAA Tourney appearances
13 straight conference championships
17 final four appearances
5 national championships

Its a needed counterbalance to 17 straight playoff-less years.

And at the end of April, when we waste another top draft choice on a defensive back for the umpteenth time, I'll put on some Frank Mason and Josh Jackson highlights.

Thurmal
03-25-2017, 01:16 PM
I've always had a soft spot for underdogs.
I read a very interesting article once about rooting for underdogs, and how it is almost strictly an American phenomenon. Supposedly after winning the Revolutionary War, despite being wildly outmatched, Americans took on this persona of giant-slayer, and the strong connection with the "little guy trying to make good" has essentially been passed down through American culture for generations.

feldspar
03-25-2017, 01:25 PM
I like football and am from Buffalo...who the **** else am I going to root for?

...doesn't take a rocket scientist...it really is that simple.

Cali512
03-25-2017, 02:20 PM
This is true. I have a soft spot when it comes to the playoffs for the underdog players or teams. 8 years ago I loved Carolina, then Seattle (with Hasselback), now I love Oakland. In the NBA I fell in love with the pistons during the Lakers championships and still root for them. When playoffs come around I wanted Cleveland to get their championship but now I hate them. Now I'm rooting for the thunder and Boston. I always figured if the bills became the dynasty I wouldn't be as big of a fan, when you expect to win the win it minimized. I even catch myself when we blowout a team to start rooting for the team in the 4th just so it's a good game. Yet I'm one of the most die hard fans you will ever meet

YardRat
03-25-2017, 02:34 PM
I latched on to the Bad Boys before they got good and rode them through the championship years. Good times.

Cali512
03-25-2017, 02:50 PM
I latched on to the Bad Boys before they got good and rode them through the championship years. Good times.

I was like 11 and saw Rip, Wallace x2, Prince, Chauncey and Okur and fell in love with that team. If I do a season mode in 2k I always use the pistons to regain the glory years. When I realized they had the original Rodman and Isaah, I knew they were my team.

YardRat
03-25-2017, 03:31 PM
Thomas, Dumars, Laimbeer, Mahorn, Rodman, Salley, Chuck Daly and the "Jordan Rules". I loved the way that team played defense. Unfortunately, the league decided around that time that defense didn't sell, but Michael Jordan did, and thus the 'untouchable superstar' (*cough*Brady*cough*Crosby*cough*) concept was firmly established in professional sports. I lost interest in the NBA shortly thereafter, but did re-kindle the flame a little bit when the Wallace's, Billups, etc brought them back to the top.

Night Train
03-25-2017, 07:03 PM
Why ?

Suffering produces endurance
Endurance produces character
Character produces hope

and hope does not disappoint us..

feldspar
03-25-2017, 07:10 PM
Why ?

Suffering produces endurance
Endurance produces character
Character produces hope

and hope does not disappoint us..

Hope does not disappoint us?

I'm pretty sure that hope turns to other things, just like suffering, endurance, and character do...

I hope I win the lottery, and yet here I sit...can't say I'm not disappointed, but I'll live. The only thing unfounded hope does IS disappoint.

mdcas22
03-25-2017, 07:20 PM
Ive been watching the Bills ever since 1967 in which I was 10 years old. born outside of Buffalo and have lived in Football state for most of my adult life, I did find it easier to have a secondary team back in the early 70's to help the pain. When the Bills hired chuck Knox I turn all my loyalty to the Bills then and only them since, but I may have to find a secondary team again because the years are running out.

coastal
03-25-2017, 08:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Ive-dRXVo

Never gets old...

swiper
03-26-2017, 06:31 AM
Never gets old...

Sure it does.

SpikedLemonade
03-26-2017, 06:40 AM
Sure it does.
Swiper please excuse Coastal's optimism -- unlike you he has joy in his life and doesn't have to be staring up the ugly poop chute of some fat ass American 5 miserable days per week.

I understand where you are coming from.

Night Train
03-26-2017, 07:10 AM
Talking Proud was all Chuck Knox. He was an absolute Godsend for this town. Team was the worst, when he arrived, with 50,000 empty seats per Sunday. 2 years later, the games were sold out and the Bills were playoff bound.

Naturally, Ralph sent him packing.

SpikedLemonade
03-26-2017, 07:18 AM
Talking Proud was all Chuck Knox. He was an absolute Godsend for this town. Team was the worst, when he arrived, with 50,000 empty seats per Sunday. 2 years later, the games were sold out and the Bills were playoff bound.

Naturally, Ralph sent him packing.

Chuck Knox was THE best Head Coach the Bills ever had.

Marv Levy just got lucky.

coastal
03-26-2017, 07:29 AM
Just watched the video again...

so many things in this video to like

swiper
03-26-2017, 08:44 AM
Swiper please excuse Coastal's optimism -- unlike you he has joy in his life and doesn't have to be staring up the ugly poop chute of some fat ass American 5 miserable days per week.

I understand where you are coming from.

4. 4 days. And I don't do proctology. And how is it that you understand about that. What fat Jamaican women arses are you funneling?

- - - Updated - - -

Chuck Knox was THE best Head Coach the Bills ever had.

Marv Levy just got lucky.

I'd have to agree. Pure coach.

SpikedLemonade
03-26-2017, 09:03 AM
4. 4 days. And I don't do proctology. And how is it that you understand about that. What fat Jamaican women arses are you funneling?

My Jamaican women, or any other woman, in my life are NEVER fat.

I do NOT date fat.

Simply uninterested.

bleve
03-26-2017, 09:43 AM
Ah yes, you could get a sixer of Talkin' Proud Beer at Bells for $1.79...Talking Proud! (http://buffalonews.com/2016/07/15/buffalo-80s-talking-proud/)

swiper
03-26-2017, 09:55 AM
My Jamaican women, or any other woman, in my life are NEVER fat.

I do NOT date fat.

Simply uninterested.

Well I just equate the "big asses" that you've bragged about conquering with obesity. That along with the fact you'd be hard-pressed to show me a fat-assed Jamaican that was not fat all over. So keep trying.

SpikedLemonade
03-26-2017, 09:59 AM
Well I just equate the "big asses" that you've bragged about conquering with obesity. That along with the fact you'd be hard-pressed to show me a fat-assed Jamaican that was not fat all over. So keep trying.

You need to be educated about Black women.

Delightfully, they are built differently than White women.

swiper
03-26-2017, 10:02 AM
You must get the ones with the handle-bars.

SpikedLemonade
03-26-2017, 10:07 AM
You must get the ones with the handle-bars.

Nah.

Just nice round shapely asses.