PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh! Are the skids being greased for Whaley?

WagonCircler
03-23-2017, 02:24 PM
Very interesting. From LaCanfora, re. "Front office changes in Buffalo and San Francisco?" :

And I continue to hear that new Bills coach Sean McDermott has growing cache with ownership and that team could be bringing in vice presidents and/or personnel figures with ties to the coach in the near future.

Panthers director of player personnel is someone particularly well thought of who could end up in Buffalo after the draft in one capacity or another. There are already rumblings that the marriage of McDermott and Bills Gm Doug Whaley likely isn’t built to last.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/redskins-casting-wide-net-in-gm-search-that-might-ultimately-result-in-few-takers/

justasportsfan
03-23-2017, 02:49 PM
Rex wasn't Whaley's choice and it seems neither was McDermott. If thats the case Whaley will eventually be gone since the Pegulas get what they want anyways.

k-oneputt
03-23-2017, 02:50 PM
Good he can take Brandon with him.

Cali512
03-23-2017, 02:53 PM
I was very supportive of Whaley untill this month. Seeing how we gave Tyrod a ridiculous contract and made it so cutting Dareus and clay hurts us more than helps, I can't justify him being here. I think he could be a great scout, but should not have the final or even second to final say on drafting or actual negotiations.

camelcowboy
03-23-2017, 02:59 PM
Don't trust the sources, he's always wrong

Bill Cody
03-23-2017, 03:01 PM
I wonder if rumors like this could impact how Whaley views the draft? If he thinks the ice is cracking under him does he try to make a big splash? Or does he defer to McDermott on the draft in hopes of getting him on board?

Skooby
03-23-2017, 03:04 PM
Get rid of Whaley ASAP.

Thurmal
03-23-2017, 03:06 PM
If they're bringing in new front office types, they need to be replacements, not additions. Too many cooks in the kitchen as it is.

Also, I'd like it if Pegula made sure McDermott didn't suck first before letting him handpick his own front office. If he does well as coach, though, having a GM/VP that are on the same page as him would be great. Especially if they have the power to tell that weasel Brandon to pound sand.

Ed
03-23-2017, 03:36 PM
I was very supportive of Whaley untill this month. Seeing how we gave Tyrod a ridiculous contract and made it so cutting Dareus and clay hurts us more than helps, I can't justify him being here. I think he could be a great scout, but should not have the final or even second to final say on drafting or actual negotiations.
That's not a Doug Whaley issue. Any time you sign a player to a big contract with guaranteed money you are committed to that player for better or worse. That goes for every big contract on every team.

SpikedLemonade
03-23-2017, 03:37 PM
After all the greasing of Kim's skid that Whaley has done, he is not going anywhere although I wish he did.

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-23-2017, 03:45 PM
After all the greasing of Kim's skid that Whaley has done, he is not going anywhere although I wish he did.
if i didn't know any better, i would venture to guess that you're jealous.

SpikedLemonade
03-23-2017, 03:46 PM
if i didn't know any better, i would venture to guess that you're jealous.

Maybe 15 years ago.

DetDannyWilliams
03-23-2017, 04:32 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Whaley will not speak on the draft this year <a href="https://t.co/Kz6kWDdCtk">https://t.co/Kz6kWDdCtk</a></p>&mdash; WGR 550 (@WGR550) <a href="https://twitter.com/WGR550/status/845005164276846592">March 23, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

YardRat
03-23-2017, 05:01 PM
I think Whaley is a having a pretty good free agency period, myself. The draft means a lot though, especially this season.

BillsFanCupp38
03-23-2017, 05:10 PM
I wonder if rumors like this could impact how Whaley views the draft? If he thinks the ice is cracking under him does he try to make a big splash? Or does he defer to McDermott on the draft in hopes of getting him on board?

This is a good point. Jump ship now before he sabotages the draft.

Mouldsie
03-23-2017, 05:11 PM
I'd be fine with this as long as it resulted in a clear hierarchy. Right now having a coach and GM on equal level reporting to the owner is ass backwards.

Make McDermott your BB, fine. The GM can work for him.

I guess it would make sense to make this move after the draft since Whaley and his scouts have done the work all year; perhaps it was the plan all along to remove him but they wanted to wait until the draft was over? Kind of weird but I can justify it especially if the plan is to create a structure like NE.

Mouldsie
03-23-2017, 05:12 PM
That's not a Doug Whaley issue. Any time you sign a player to a big contract with guaranteed money you are committed to that player for better or worse. That goes for every big contract on every team.
Also Overdorf does all the contract and cap stuff

Novacane
03-23-2017, 10:05 PM
As much as I don't like Whaley I don't see why Pegula has such faith in a coach that hasn't proven ****.

Turf
03-23-2017, 10:13 PM
Hopefully Rainman is finally shown the door, or demoted to head scout. Two year from now Pegula can let him go. McDermott (spelling) is the future. You know, I know, the American people know. Even Pegula knows. Didn't take long for the head coach to go, what the ****s up with this guy?

Buddo
03-24-2017, 05:06 AM
To me, this is just speculation. I'll qualify that by saying that of late, OBD is tighter than a duck's arse in water. Pretty much nothing is coming out of there, and I believe it's part of how our new HC wants things to be.

There's going to be no 'draft lunch' this year, and the only availability will be the HC on April 20th, when he will 'answer questions', otherwise known as say lots, tell you nothing.

Get used to the fact that there are going to be many more articles etc. that are either desperate attempts to put two and two together to make 4, or simply speculation, because nobody will actually be getting any real info.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-24-2017, 09:23 AM
Good he can take Brandon with him.

And until Brandon goes the dysfunction will remain

Albany,n.y.
03-24-2017, 11:41 AM
As much as I don't like Whaley I don't see why Pegula has such faith in a coach that hasn't proven ****.

They listened to and compared the press conferences of Whaley & McDermott. Then they told Whaley to watch some old Marx brothers movies and learn how to be like Harpo. Then they gave him a horn and a whistle in case he wants to communicate.

The King
03-24-2017, 01:13 PM
To me, this is just speculation. I'll qualify that by saying that of late, OBD is tighter than a duck's arse in water. Pretty much nothing is coming out of there, and I believe it's part of how our new HC wants things to be.

There's going to be no 'draft lunch' this year, and the only availability will be the HC on April 20th, when he will 'answer questions', otherwise known as say lots, tell you nothing.

Get used to the fact that there are going to be many more articles etc. that are either desperate attempts to put two and two together to make 4, or simply speculation, because nobody will actually be getting any real info.

I hope you're right.

tonyc37
03-24-2017, 02:52 PM
Just another example of Pegula not having a clue.Just like Ralph when Nix was stepping down after the draft we ended up with EJ.If your getting rid of Wahley do it before the draft.Him being in the draft room could really screw things up.

mdcas22
03-26-2017, 10:06 AM
Talk in Buffalo that Doug Whaley could be on the way outPosted by Michael David Smith on March 26, 2017, 5:54 AM EDT
https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/503264140-e1453481411828.jpg?w=226
Getty ImagesBills General Manager Doug Whaley appears to be on the hot seat, raising questions about who’s really calling the shots in Buffalo heading into the draft.
Jerry Sullivan of the Buffalo News writes that it seems only a matter of time (http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/25/bills-fire-doug-whaley-done/) before Whaley gets moved out. Sullivan suggests that owners Kim and Terry Pegula have decided to give more authority to new head coach Sean McDermott, and Whaley’s power is limited. Sullivan even suggests that it could be that the only reason Whaley hasn’t resigned is he wants the Pegulas to fire him so they’ll be forced to keep paying him until his contract expires.
The Bills have decided that McDermott, not Whaley (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/3/23/15041878/buffalo-bills-pre-draft-luncheon-no-doug-whaley-only-sean-mcdermott-2017-nfl-draft), will address reporters at the official annual pre-draft media event. Typically the person who answers questions in that setting is the person who’s calling the shots, and the Bills choosing McDermott to talk to the media on the team’s behalf suggests that McDermott, not Whaley, is calling the shots.
A similar situation played out in Washington in February, when G.M. Scot McCloughan was kept away from the media (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/09/report-bruce-allen-wont-let-scot-mccloughan-talk-to-media/). A month later, McCloughan was fired.
It shouldn’t come as a surprise if Whaley is the next NFL G.M. to lose his job.

SpikedLemonade
03-26-2017, 10:09 AM
Just another example of Pegula not having a clue.Just like Ralph when Nix was stepping down after the draft we ended up with EJ.If your getting rid of Wahley do it before the draft.Him being in the draft room could really screw things up.

The Dumb Polack can dig another hole to frack oil but he knows nothing about running a NFL or NHL team.

He needs to hire seasoned experienced NHL/NFL executives and simply get out of their way.

SpikedLemonade
03-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Talk in Buffalo that Doug Whaley could be on the way out

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 26, 2017, 5:54 AM EDT
https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/503264140-e1453481411828.jpg?w=226
Getty Images
Bills General Manager Doug Whaley appears to be on the hot seat, raising questions about who’s really calling the shots in Buffalo heading into the draft.
Jerry Sullivan of the Buffalo News writes that it seems only a matter of time (http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/25/bills-fire-doug-whaley-done/) before Whaley gets moved out. Sullivan suggests that owners Kim and Terry Pegula have decided to give more authority to new head coach Sean McDermott, and Whaley’s power is limited. Sullivan even suggests that it could be that the only reason Whaley hasn’t resigned is he wants the Pegulas to fire him so they’ll be forced to keep paying him until his contract expires.
The Bills have decided that McDermott, not Whaley (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/3/23/15041878/buffalo-bills-pre-draft-luncheon-no-doug-whaley-only-sean-mcdermott-2017-nfl-draft), will address reporters at the official annual pre-draft media event. Typically the person who answers questions in that setting is the person who’s calling the shots, and the Bills choosing McDermott to talk to the media on the team’s behalf suggests that McDermott, not Whaley, is calling the shots.
A similar situation played out in Washington in February, when G.M. Scot McCloughan was kept away from the media (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/09/report-bruce-allen-wont-let-scot-mccloughan-talk-to-media/). A month later, McCloughan was fired.

Does Kim know this?

Does Doug know this?

Perhaps Kim can tap him on the top of his head and break the news to him gently.

swiper
03-26-2017, 10:13 AM
You forgot to post the video that underscores your point.

YardRat
03-26-2017, 10:24 AM
There's too much visible smoke on this for there not to be a fire somewhere. Whaley is most likely gone after the draft...maybe sooner.

Night Train
03-26-2017, 10:41 AM
Talk in Buffalo that Doug Whaley could be on the way out

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 26, 2017, 5:54 AM EDT
Getty Images
Bills General Manager Doug Whaley appears to be on the hot seat, raising questions about who’s really calling the shots in Buffalo heading into the draft.

Not saying it's wrong but you can see the media is writing speculation on other media speculation.

Buddo is right. Nothing is coming out of OBD and the media has become a group of crap throwing monkeys.

YardRat
03-26-2017, 10:48 AM
Not saying it's wrong but you can see the media is writing speculation on other media speculation.

Buddo is right. Nothing is coming out of OBD and the media has become a group of crap throwing monkeys.

I think the fact that Whaley has basically been completely out of the public eye and McDermott has been the spokesperson thus far and it's already been announced he will be for the draft qualifies as more than 'crap throwing'. Add to those the reports that (allegedly) Whaley was all-in on Lynn and Pegula was pissed about Doug botching the presser, the evidence is starting to mount.

Cali512
03-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Why do people think OBD would cone out and mention that Whaleys on his way out? The media is always going to be the first to speculate, because obviously when OBD comes out its done and official.

DraftBoy
03-26-2017, 12:31 PM
If Whaley is on the way out then why wait until after the draft? You're basically just have him be in the meetings and in the room for what reason?

YardRat
03-26-2017, 12:36 PM
If Whaley is on the way out then why wait until after the draft? You're basically just have him be in the meetings and in the room for what reason?

To explain to Russ Brandon what 'tweener' and '4.3 forty' means while McD is making the picks.

Good question, though.

If Pegula knew he was going to fire Wrecks prior to the last week of the season why didn't he do it earlier?

SpikedLemonade
03-26-2017, 12:55 PM

I agree you turf him now.

Does the Dragon Lady need a few more rounds with Doug?

swiper
03-26-2017, 01:16 PM
Why would you have a lame duck GM involved n your draft at all? If that's the case who's selecting the players? I wouldn't want Whaley anywhere near what I was doing if I was looking for his replacement. That makes no sense.

BertSquirtgum
03-26-2017, 02:28 PM
Dougie Doug is not going anywhere.

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-26-2017, 03:40 PM
Dougie Doug is not going anywhere.

Thats what you said about Mario williams

DraftBoy
03-26-2017, 04:15 PM
To explain to Russ Brandon what 'tweener' and '4.3 forty' means while McD is making the picks.

Good question, though.

If Pegula knew he was going to fire Wrecks prior to the last week of the season why didn't he do it earlier?

The only advantage you have to firing a coach early is to get a jump on the others teams who will also be in the market. If Pegula didn't have a name in mind that he wanted to jump on before other teams then firing Ryan early provided no strategic advantage.

I don't understand how you let Whaley take part in meeting, help assemble the big board, and give input on personnel discussions if you plan to fire him in a few weeks. I suppose it's possible that he's just showing up to work, playing the crossword and collecting a check but I highly doubt it.

BertSquirtgum
03-26-2017, 04:24 PM
Thats what you said about Mario williams

Hope I'm wrong again

YardRat
03-26-2017, 04:26 PM
The only advantage you have to firing a coach early is to get a jump on the others teams who will also be in the market. If Pegula didn't have a name in mind that he wanted to jump on before other teams then firing Ryan early provided no strategic advantage.

I don't understand how you let Whaley take part in meeting, help assemble the big board, and give input on personnel discussions if you plan to fire him in a few weeks. I suppose it's possible that he's just showing up to work, playing the crossword and collecting a check but I highly doubt it.

All very good points. Then again, it's an assumption that Whaley is participating in the big board process as much as he used to, or at all, this time around. Or even free agency for that matter. Have we heard a peep from him as the signings have come through?

I get what you are saying...if I'm not planning on holding on to a guy (especially one in a critical position like GM) I'm going to get rid of him sooner rather than later, personally.

SpikedLemonade
03-26-2017, 05:00 PM
Such a dysfunctional organizational structure.

Forward_Lateral
03-26-2017, 06:19 PM
Such a joke of a franchise.

Terry has zero clue how to run a football team, and that's become evident over the past couple of seasons.

swiper
03-26-2017, 06:44 PM
Vic Carucci
@viccarucci

Hearing if #Bills do part ways w GM Doug Whaley, #Panthers dir of player personnel Don Gregory is not a potential replacement, as reported (elsewhere).

Vic Carucci
@viccarucci

For anyone wondering, GM Doug Whaley is part of the #Bills' representation at the #NFL annual meeting in Arizona.

Turf
03-26-2017, 06:45 PM
One things for sure, when Whaley's fired he won't have known anything about it.

DraftBoy
03-26-2017, 10:03 PM
All very good points. Then again, it's an assumption that Whaley is participating in the big board process as much as he used to, or at all, this time around. Or even free agency for that matter. Have we heard a peep from him as the signings have come through?

I get what you are saying...if I'm not planning on holding on to a guy (especially one in a critical position like GM) I'm going to get rid of him sooner rather than later, personally.

It's very possible, I just can't imagine that if he was being held out of all those meetings that it wouldn't leak out. This team leaked like a sieve about Rex's firing and the news about the Redskins GM being sidelined got out pretty quick too.

WagonCircler
03-27-2017, 12:56 PM
I suppose it's possible that he's just showing up to work, playing the crossword and collecting a check but I highly doubt it.

Doug Whaley: The Bills' George Costanza.

daryls61
03-27-2017, 12:58 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">For anyone wondering, GM Doug Whaley is part of the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash">#Bills</a>&#39; representation at the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFL?src=hash">#NFL</a> annual meeting in Arizona.</p>&mdash; Vic Carucci (@viccarucci) <a href="https://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/846025284755251201">March 26, 2017</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hearing if <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash">#Bills</a> do part ways w GM Doug Whaley, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Panthers?src=hash">#Panthers</a> dir of player personnel Don Gregory is not a potential replacement, as reported.</p>&mdash; Vic Carucci (@viccarucci) <a href="https://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/846050379821330433">March 26, 2017</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mouldsie
03-27-2017, 01:14 PM

You cant hire his replacement until after the draft for one thing.

Still doesnt mean you're not right but this is the Bills remember

DraftBoy
03-27-2017, 02:10 PM
You cant hire his replacement until after the draft for one thing.

Still doesnt mean you're not right but this is the Bills remember

Yes, you can.

Mouldsie
03-27-2017, 03:30 PM
Yes, you can.

Most teams will block a request to interview their top scouts and player personnel people before the draft is over.

swiper
03-27-2017, 05:07 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">For anyone wondering, GM Doug Whaley is part of the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash">#Bills</a>' representation at the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFL?src=hash">#NFL</a> annual meeting in Arizona.</p>&mdash; Vic Carucci (@viccarucci) <a href="https://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/846025284755251201">March 26, 2017</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hearing if <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash">#Bills</a> do part ways w GM Doug Whaley, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Panthers?src=hash">#Panthers</a> dir of player personnel Don Gregory is not a potential replacement, as reported.</p>&mdash; Vic Carucci (@viccarucci) <a href="https://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/846050379821330433">March 26, 2017</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Are you drunk? See #44.

endzone
03-27-2017, 05:50 PM
Who cares about Whaley anymore? He isn't going to be allowed to do anything on his own including speaking for the organization.

Turf
03-27-2017, 08:00 PM
So Carucci's so sure that Whaley's toast, he's actually investigating his replacement. I'm all in on this.

Turf
03-27-2017, 08:03 PM
Someone tell Doug the Peoples Court is no longer on at 5. I'd hate to see him suffer. Hopefully the staff can walk him to his car, or better yet drive him home.

DraftBoy
03-27-2017, 08:38 PM
Most teams will block a request to interview their top scouts and player personnel people before the draft is over.

There are other options not affiliated with teams currently.

Mouldsie
03-28-2017, 11:35 AM

great

YardRat
03-28-2017, 05:40 PM

LOL...you can say the same thing about QB's, can't you?

DetDannyWilliams
03-28-2017, 05:58 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">McDermott says relationship w GM Doug Whaley &amp; personnel staff &amp; coaching staff has been &quot;seamless.&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash">#Bills</a></p>&mdash; Vic Carucci (@viccarucci) <a href="https://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/846729935356026885">March 28, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><strike></strike>

swiper
03-28-2017, 06:03 PM
So Carucci's so sure that Whaley's toast, he's actually investigating his replacement. I'm all in on this.

No. It was reported that this Panther's guy was on the Bills radar. He's just clarifying that the original report was wrong. Or so he says.

swiper
03-28-2017, 06:05 PM

That is always the case. But as a general rule, if they are not currently employed then they are not likely very good. Enter Tom Donahoe.

swiper
03-28-2017, 06:07 PM
LOL...you can say the same thing about QB's, can't you?

I'm warming to your point of view. LOL.

DraftBoy
03-28-2017, 09:30 PM
Pegula stated today that reports about bringing an executive over Whaley was fraudulent and that both Whaley and McDermott are giving input on personnel discussions.

Doesn't sound like the result of somebody who is being sidelined.

Historian
03-29-2017, 09:02 AM
I hope that's the case, DB, because for once I would like to see the front office in sync with the Coaching staff.

WagonCircler
03-29-2017, 11:38 AM
Pegula stated today that reports about bringing an executive over Whaley was fraudulent and that both Whaley and McDermott are giving input on personnel discussions.

Yes. Because we all know that owners tell the truth about this sort of thing 100% of the time.

Mouldsie
03-29-2017, 02:01 PM
I'm glad that the draft and personnel decisions will continue to be done by consensus. I bet Russ Brandon will be in the war room as per usual. How long before McDermott pulls a Marrone?

justasportsfan
04-01-2017, 09:04 AM

La Canfora reported last year Whaleys job was on the line. The he got extended
Hes sticking to this story so he can say he was right. Hes a joke.

SpikedLemonade
04-01-2017, 09:08 AM
La Canfora reported last year Whaleys job was on the line. The he got extended
Hes sticking to this story so he can say he was right. Hes a joke.

YOU ARE A JOKE.