PDA

View Full Version : NFL new rules proposed and one made by Bills

DetDannyWilliams
03-23-2017, 04:21 PM
The Seattle Seahawks and Buffalo Bills jointly proposed a rule that increases the number of challenges a team can have in a game, as well as to allow coaches to challenge any officiating decision made by a referee

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-competition-committee-announces-rule-proposals-to-enhance-safety/ar-BByE6M2?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

YardRat
03-23-2017, 04:32 PM
Yeah that one will never fly, especially considering the league is considering rules changes to shorten up the game.

Historian
03-24-2017, 04:18 AM
Like running into a kicker's knee?

Buddo
03-24-2017, 05:16 AM
Yeah that one will never fly, especially considering the league is considering rules changes to shorten up the game.

Maybe not this year, but I believe it will happen, sooner, rather than later.

I'm not so sure about additional challenges, but the part about being able to challenge anything.

I think more teams are getting behind this, due to the poor officiating we see regularly throughout the NFL. Belicheck has been an advocate of this for years, and the Patsies have proposed similar in the past. With no additional reviews, I can see that part getting though within the next couple of years, as by then, just about every team will have got hosed by an inept call that is of the 'cannot be reviewed' type.

Seemed to me towards the end of the year, that the Zebras were getting quite cute with some of those, calling offenses that couldn't be reviewed, as opposed to making the correct call.

Wally The Barber
03-24-2017, 05:43 AM
If it will SLOW down the game and create more commercial time the league will love this

Idiots

YardRat
03-24-2017, 05:48 AM
Maybe not this year, but I believe it will happen, sooner, rather than later.

I'm not so sure about additional challenges, but the part about being able to challenge anything.

I think more teams are getting behind this, due to the poor officiating we see regularly throughout the NFL. Belicheck has been an advocate of this for years, and the Patsies have proposed similar in the past. With no additional reviews, I can see that part getting though within the next couple of years, as by then, just about every team will have got hosed by an inept call that is of the 'cannot be reviewed' type.

Seemed to me towards the end of the year, that the Zebras were getting quite cute with some of those, calling offenses that couldn't be reviewed, as opposed to making the correct call.
Fair point, my comment was directed at the 'more challenges' portion of the suggested change.

Buddo
03-24-2017, 09:02 PM
Fair point, my comment was directed at the 'more challenges' portion of the suggested change.

Yeah, as I was replying, I thought that would be the case.

I've not looked at the precise proposal, tbh, but I can see where logically, having the ability to challenge any call, should mean an increase in the amount of challenges allowed.

Having said that, I think it far more likely that what you can challenge, will be expanded, where the amount of challenges you get, will not be.

As you rightly pointed out, the NFL is trying to 'streamline' the experience of watching games, to shorten the amount of time they take overall, yet they also need to have an eye for fans opinions about getting as many calls as possible, correct.

My guess would be that fans would rather see the Zebras get decisions right, and be at the game an extra few minutes, than have the sort of regular **** ups we do see, all over the league.

Whenever they do get around to doing this, I do expect them to not increase the amount of challenges available, and to be initially treating it as 'experiment', for a year or two.