PDA

View Full Version : McDermott discusses starting LBs

Ed
03-28-2017, 10:42 AM
There have been a lot of questions/uncertainty regarding the LB positions and who would start and where. McDermott has now provided some answers. I'm not really buying Humber as a starter, but I thought it was interesting that he doesn't seem to be considering Preston Brown for a role at OLB after stating that Ragland will be the starting MLB.

Per Mike Rodak:
Sean McDermott says he envisions 2016 second-round pick Reggie Ragland starting at middle linebacker, comparing his role to former Panthers LB Luke Kuechly and Eagles LB Jeremiah Trotter. Ragland missed all of last season with a torn ACL. Where does that leave Preston Brown? McDermott says middle linebacker too, but doesn't label him a starter. Brown started each of the past three seasons for Buffalo, wearing the play call helmet.

Bills coach Sean McDermott says Ramon Humber and Lorenzo Alexander are currently slated to be his outside linebackers in 4-3 defense. That's a jump for Humber, who was almost exclusively a special teams player last season for Buffalo.

Mouldsie
03-28-2017, 11:29 AM
yikes.... we need 3 new LB's

EDS
03-28-2017, 11:36 AM
That makes the back 7 on defense sound down right horrible.

Wally The Barber
03-28-2017, 11:43 AM
Oh sure lets assume Ragland will be 100% next season while Zach Brown signs with the Dolphins!
We sit around watching our injured starters on the bench come week #1
Same ol Bills

Dr. Lecter
03-28-2017, 11:44 AM

Can we watch Raglan before throw him in the garbage pile?

The King
03-28-2017, 11:50 AM
This is why the Bills aren't going to spend $$ on Zach Brown.

Mouldsie
03-28-2017, 11:52 AM
Can we watch Raglan before throw him in the garbage pile?

You can, I never wanted him drafted but lived with it in a 3-4.... in a 4-3 cover 2? *shudder*

He should be competing at SLB

Goobylal
03-28-2017, 11:54 AM
Oh sure lets assume Ragland will be 100% next season while Zach Brown signs with the Dolphins!
We sit around watching our injured starters on the bench come week #1
Same ol Bills

Miami only offered him a 1-year deal for $3-4M. They're out.

Cali512
03-28-2017, 12:00 PM

I've been saying for months that Preston will be traded. He doesn't fit the way this team is being built

Zo will take on Shaq Thompsons role
Reggie will be Luke
Humber fits Davis' size. Davis 6-1 235, humber 5-11 233. If he can just get to 240 he'd be a good fit

We can always get more competition in the draft also.

Mouldsie
03-28-2017, 12:04 PM
Reggie is no Luke. Not even close.

Cali512
03-28-2017, 12:10 PM

Are you saying that to me or Lukes former DC?

Because neither one of us said he was Luke, we said he'd pay his position.

Also Reggie looked amazing in college. His tackling is incredible and he reminded me a lot of Vontaze

Thurmal
03-28-2017, 12:32 PM
This team needs a S or LB at #10 badly. Shouldn't even be looking at WRs.

Mouldsie
03-28-2017, 12:32 PM
I'm being hard on him because I don't think his game translates well to the NFL level and he's not going to be a 3 down player here. He's a Brandon Spikes type, excellent at a specific role. Not worth the cost it took to acquire him IMO.... but I hope to be proven wrong.

I'd rather have Reuben Foster ON THE FIELD... not off.

TigerJ
03-28-2017, 01:01 PM
I have had a nagging concern about the linebacking right along. I think Ragland will be OK. He doesn't have the elite athleticism of Kuechly, but then not too many linebackers do. He is a decent athlete at least. I think McDermott can tweak the scheme enough that Ragland would have to show quite the range that Kuechly does. The real challenge will be at outside linebacker. I think Lorenzo is going to be asked to do a lot of things that he's never had to do much of before. He's smart and he's experienced, and has a great attitude. The big question is whether or not he has the skill set. Humber may actually be a better match in terms of size and athleticism that Lorenzo for a 4-3 outside linebacker. The question with Humber is whether or not he'll be up to the increased responsibility. I still wouldn't be surprised if the Bills draft an outside linebacker.

Cali512
03-28-2017, 01:32 PM

This Lb class isn't great, and we signed 2 safeties. Hyde will probably be our FS, and Poyer was going to be the browns starting SS before being injured. They are also both being paid good money.

To say we don't need a WR is asinine. We needed a WR when we had Woods, Watkins, and Hogan. Now we just have Watkins and we all of a sudden are better off at that position than a position that has been addressed and a LB core with a 2nd round pick, pro bowler, and 2 average guys?

Pinkerton Security
03-28-2017, 01:38 PM
I've been saying for months that Preston will be traded. He doesn't fit the way this team is being built

Zo will take on Shaq Thompsons role
Reggie will be Luke
Humber fits Davis' size. Davis 6-1 235, humber 5-11 233. If he can just get to 240 he'd be a good fit

We can always get more competition in the draft also.
LOL so you're basing the positions they're filling based solely on their actual height and weight? Sheez, Im 6'1 225, you think I can step in? I'll take the vet minimum...

Thurmal
03-28-2017, 02:13 PM
This Lb class isn't great, and we signed 2 safeties. Hyde will probably be our FS, and Poyer was going to be the browns starting SS before being injured. They are also both being paid good money.

To say we don't need a WR is asinine. We needed a WR when we had Woods, Watkins, and Hogan. Now we just have Watkins and we all of a sudden are better off at that position than a position that has been addressed and a LB core with a 2nd round pick, pro bowler, and 2 average guys?
Defense is way more important. The QB can't come from behind or keep up in shootouts, so in order to win games, they will need to hold the other team to low point totals. The LB core is super weak, as is the secondary. The fact that they signed a guy who may have started for the Browns, a team so devoid of talent that the Bills of all squads were able to sleepwalk through a game against them and still win by 20 points, means very little.

Cali512
03-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Defense is way more important. The QB can't come from behind or keep up in shootouts, so in order to win games, they will need to hold the other team to low point totals. The LB core is super weak, as is the secondary. The fact that they signed a guy who may have started for the Browns, a team so devoid of talent that the Bills of all squads were able to sleepwalk through a game against them and still win by 20 points, means very little.

I'm losing a lot of credibility of you lately

Joe Fo Sho
03-28-2017, 02:21 PM

Take the compliment, Thurmal.

Cali512
03-28-2017, 02:32 PM
Take the compliment, Thurmal.

Lol don't get me started with you. You have no credibility with anything

You just said Seattle has a top rushing attack when their leading rusher had 3.2 ypc

Joe Fo Sho
03-28-2017, 02:43 PM

You just said Seattle has a top rushing attack when their leading rusher had 3.2 ypc

You should read that entire conversation. I'm not the one who said that. Pay attention, adults are talking.

Seattle has a top rushing attack but the worst offensive line every year?

Yes

k-oneputt
03-28-2017, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't give up on Ragland.
He may not be the fastest lb around but he has good instincts, is a good tackler, and is a leader.
Lets at lest wait and see what he can do at this level.

YardRat
03-28-2017, 04:36 PM
From the numbers I've seen Ragland is faster than both Foster and Kuechly, although admittedly RR doesn't have the same agility for pass defense as Luke.

Wally The Barber
03-28-2017, 04:47 PM
Miami only offered him a 1-year deal for $3-4M. They're out.

good

Mace
03-28-2017, 06:13 PM
From the numbers I've seen Ragland is faster than both Foster and Kuechly, although admittedly RR doesn't have the same agility for pass defense as Luke.

Well, you know I like Ragland. I was optimistic about him in a Ryan hybrid 3-4, in a standard 4-3 or Schwartz wide 9 he'd be glorious. But he was described as "old school mlb" and "throwback thumper".

I can see Zach Brown, Kuechly, even Kiko Alonso in a flow to the ball Tampa-2, Ragland, Humber and Alexander, not so much. Not even sure Preston Brown shouldn't be starting over a Humber or Alexander who is probably best used in packages.

I still see this as a Frazier defense with McDermott ideas because of the secondary and LB assistant selections.

If McDermott came in all about the philosophy of adapting to who he has as he said, and not stuffing players into scheme, Preston, though not spectacular, is still a better LB than Humber and you'd think they'd adapt accordingly. If Humber was going to beat him out for a position, you'd think that would come appropriately in camp.

Way to early for conclusions, but this looks ominous to me.

swiper
03-28-2017, 06:23 PM

Seattle was 25th of 32 teams in rushing yards in 2016. Team YPC was 3.9.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing

PrimeTime
03-29-2017, 12:57 PM

Stop with the garbage replies.. Alexander will be fine

PrimeTime
03-29-2017, 01:01 PM
How the **** do you know? he hasn't played 1 NFL game?

We got our starting Safety and we need LB Depth at this point... Who the **** is our #2 WR? let alone #3... CLUELESS

Your right.. that was a stupid post he made.

PrimeTime
03-29-2017, 01:03 PM

yep They said the same thing about Luechly when he came out of college.. we will see over time.

Thurmal
03-29-2017, 01:04 PM
Your right.. that was a stupid post he made.
*You're*

Buffalogic
03-29-2017, 01:07 PM
Won't miss Preston Brown as the starter.

Mouldsie
03-29-2017, 01:55 PM
Well Luke Kuechly runs in the 4.5's & Reggie ragland 4.7's so idk where you get your numbers from. Foster looks faster on tape but I just heard he ran a 4.7 at the Pro Day which is concerning.

Mouldsie
03-29-2017, 01:56 PM
yep They said the same thing about Luechly when he came out of college.. we will see over time.

No they didn't. Keuchly was viewed as an elite athlete and the concern was whether he could be physical enough. I know he's white and all but let's get down to facts.

Mouldsie
03-29-2017, 04:54 PM
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/luke-kuechly
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/reggie-ragland

Case closed.

Awesome site BTW^

YardRat
03-29-2017, 05:04 PM
Well Luke Kuechly runs in the 4.5's & Reggie ragland 4.7's so idk where you get your numbers from. Foster looks faster on tape but I just heard he ran a 4.7 at the Pro Day which is concerning.

When I googled "name 40 yard dash" for all three players it came up 4.52 as the fastest timed run for Ragland, 4.58 (or 4.59) for Kuechly.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=124839&draftyear=2016&genpos=ilb
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=124839&draftyear=2016&genpos=ilb

I see now I was comparing Ragland's fastest to Kuechly's 'average', and his fastest was 4.48...my bad.

Mouldsie
03-30-2017, 04:22 PM
If Ragland ever got close to a 4.5 he would have run at his pro day and not stood on his numbers at the combine.... that site you referenced has no proof of those times, it's mostly estimates and guesswork it looks like

JoeMama
03-30-2017, 05:03 PM
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/luke-kuechly
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/reggie-ragland

Case closed.

Awesome site BTW^

Very cool site but my God their matrix must be intense to come up with such obscure player comparisons.

I was looking through Luke Kuechly's comparisons and who do I spot?

Jay ****ing Foreman.

Only a Bills fan obsessed with the late 90s could possibly find that comparison useful.

swiper
03-30-2017, 06:27 PM
Won't miss Preston Brown as the starter.

Why? He was 6th in the NFL in tackles in 2016. That's very good in ANY season, much more so in one where the Ryan brothers decimated the organization of the defense.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/totalTackles