PDA

View Full Version : McDermott - Believes We Already Have The #2 WR

Night Train
03-28-2017, 05:07 PM
Said so on the radio today, while at the Phoenix meetings.

I still think they will add more at WR but as a D coach, he will be looking to add in the Secondary and OLB first. Just my prediction.

Novacane
03-28-2017, 05:11 PM
He's a good BS'er.

Night Train
03-28-2017, 05:14 PM
He's a good BS'er.

It's that time of year but a D coach seeing holes on D likes to add there first.

Mace
03-28-2017, 06:21 PM
With the context of Taylor's passing issues we probably could get by with average #2 and slot receivers. Listenbee is a wildcard. Holmes is probably average. Not sure what we'd gain with a wr at #10 besides a top pick who won't get his share of balls anyway.

swiper
03-28-2017, 06:36 PM
Coach speak. Plain and simple.

OpIv37
03-28-2017, 06:42 PM

I still think they will add more at WR but as a D coach, he will be looking to add in the Secondary and OLB first. Just my prediction.
This is coachspeak.

If he expresses any doubt in his team, it's bad PR in front of the fans and it hurts the morale of the guys that have to play for him. It doesn't matter if he thinks he has the best #2 in the league or if he thinks everyone behind Watkins would be lucky to play in the CFL. Publicly he has to say exactly what he said.

Mahdi
03-29-2017, 12:20 PM
Maybe he was actually telling the truth....

Watkins is #2.... Mike Williams is #1....

JK

PrimeTime
03-29-2017, 12:42 PM
Yea OP title is miss leading.. you can get your #2 WR in second and third rounds with 0 problem.. just saying.

Joe Fo Sho
03-29-2017, 12:45 PM
It wouldn't surprise me. Most (some?) people are claiming that Tyrod can succeed with a good defense and running game. That's where we should be investing, defense and O-line.

Tyrod threw for the least amount of attempts of any QB that played 15 or more games, and ~250 attempts less than the top QB in that category. WR is not a priority, and shouldn't be. At least not with our 1st pick.

Mouldsie
03-29-2017, 02:05 PM
He came from a team that hadn't had a #1 WR since Steve Smith and def haven't had a #2 WR in a decade (if you count KB as a #1, he's a #2 IMO)

Bill Cody
03-29-2017, 02:21 PM

I agree this is what he thinks and I agree this is the right move

JoeMama
03-29-2017, 02:34 PM
He came from a team that hadn't had a #1 WR since Steve Smith and def haven't had a #2 WR in a decade (if you count KB as a #1, he's a #2 IMO)

Granted it's hard to tell if MccyD means what he says about our #2 WR (I personally don't think so), but if he did use Carolina's WR situation as a benchmark for our current WRs, it would be apples to oranges IMO.

In 2015 with KB out for the year, Newton played the best ball of his career with two career third string WRs (in terms of talent) in Ted Ginn Jr and Corey Brown.

The real difference was how Newton took full advantage of the TE position. Greg Olsen had almost 80 receptions that year. MccyD doesn't have the luxury of a franchise QB in Buffalo, much less a QB who can get the ball into his TE's hands to compensate for a poor crop at WR.

justasportsfan
03-29-2017, 02:41 PM
Listenbee is headed to Canton

jamze132
03-29-2017, 03:08 PM
It wouldn't surprise me. Most (some?) people are claiming that Tyrod can succeed with a good defense and running game. That's where we should be investing, defense and O-line.

Tyrod threw for the least amount of attempts of any QB that played 15 or more games, and ~250 attempts less than the top QB in that category. WR is not a priority, and shouldn't be. At least not with our 1st pick.

I've been saying that, but he does need a legitimate #2, at least someone as productive as Robert Woods and I'm not sure we currently have that.

Joe Fo Sho
03-29-2017, 03:41 PM
I've been saying that, but he does need a legitimate #2, at least someone as productive as Robert Woods and I'm not sure we currently have that.

Tyrod averaged 17 completions per game over the last 2 years. We should be able to get by with Sammy, Clay, McCoy/Gillislee and whatever 2 recievers we put out there. Wide receiver is probably the least important position on this team, to use a ton of resources on them is a waste. The mediocre crop of receivers we had this year were able to get open, Tyrod couldn't always find them.

In my opinion, the only thing we need less than a wide receiver is a tight end.

Mouldsie
03-29-2017, 03:45 PM
Granted it's hard to tell if MccyD means what he says about our #2 WR (I personally don't think so), but if he did use Carolina's WR situation as a benchmark for our current WRs, it would be apples to oranges IMO.

In 2015 with KB out for the year, Newton played the best ball of his career with two career third string WRs (in terms of talent) in Ted Ginn Jr and Corey Brown.

The real difference was how Newton took full advantage of the TE position. Greg Olsen had almost 80 receptions that year. MccyD doesn't have the luxury of a franchise QB in Buffalo, much less a QB who can get the ball into his TE's hands to compensate for a poor crop at WR.
Cam locked on to KB a lot in 2016 too. There's something to the notion of just following progressions and reading the D more than forcing it to someone. (depending on the OC)

tonyc37
03-29-2017, 03:46 PM
WR and CB are two of the deepest positions in this year draft.No need to go for either at 10 unless one the guys at CB slip.That being said I think it would be best to trade down 5-7 spots and pick up another 2nd.Then in the first go best LB,2nd WR and with the other pick CB.That will help the team the most.

Mouldsie
03-29-2017, 03:48 PM
Tyrod averaged 17 completions per game over the last 2 years. We should be able to get by with Sammy, Clay, McCoy/Gillislee and whatever 2 recievers we put out there. Wide receiver is probably the least important position on this team, to use a ton of resources on them is a waste. The mediocre crop of receivers we had this year were able to get open, Tyrod couldn't always find them.

In my opinion, the only thing we need less than a wide receiver is a tight end.

Almost any team, I'd argue.

That said, starter quality is needed.

The King
03-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Why let teams jump in front of you if you declare your needs. At least keep them guessing.

Night Train
03-29-2017, 05:12 PM
Listenbee is headed to Canton

..to work in the Home Depot lumber dept.

YardRat
03-29-2017, 05:25 PM
..to work in the Home Depot lumber dept.

OK, that was just plain mean.

Night Train
03-29-2017, 05:30 PM
OK, that was just plain mean.

:up: I'm rooting for him to make a recovery.

Mace
03-29-2017, 07:30 PM
:up: I'm rooting for him to make a recovery.

...so he can work in Home Depot plumbing dept