PDA

View Full Version : TBN : McDermott takes some former Bills to dinner.

Mace
04-05-2017, 07:05 PM
I really like McDermott so far. The man is intent and has style.

"It's very important," the coach said of establishing a strong relationship with the team's former players. " No. 1, I want all of our alumni to know how important they are to us. Moving forward, I want our players to know what it means to wear the Bills' helmet, and the colors. Every time they put that helmet on, what that means."

"He does want us to be around a little bit more, especially the guys who are out of town," Thomas said. "That was encouraging to hear from a first-year head coach."

How detailed is McDermott? As the players talked, he asked them if it was ok if he took notes in his phone.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/05/sean-mcdermott-invited-seven-franchise-greats-dinner-tuesday/

Frenchman
04-05-2017, 07:13 PM
Like him too. As really he seems to know what he is doing.

YardRat
04-05-2017, 07:15 PM
I like him too. We're going to break the playoff drought with this crew, book it.

Wally The Barber
04-05-2017, 07:32 PM
What a kiss ass.

I hate that

BertSquirtgum
04-05-2017, 08:08 PM
What a kiss ass.

I hate that

That's not very positive, Positive Pete

justasportsfan
04-05-2017, 08:44 PM
Shouldn't he be somewhere doing some cameo role in a movie? Maybe prestenting an award for the Tony awards.

Thurmal
04-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Man, if Bruce grew the mustache back, he'd look just like he did in '93.

PrimeTime
04-06-2017, 12:39 AM
What a kiss ass.
I hate that

your 100 year old balls in an itch again?

Historian
04-06-2017, 04:25 AM
Big deal.

So did this clown:

https://nflbills.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/16covv21rex_promo.jpg

Cali512
04-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Big deal.

So did this clown:

https://nflbills.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/16covv21rex_promo.jpg

Rex went to a bar and bull****ted with Kelly for a few hours
McDermott seemed to be on a mission to learn about our greats, what made them special, what made the team click, and how much the city inspired them. He also took input from them about our current team and wants them to be a part of the bills today. Big difference

Historian
04-06-2017, 09:58 AM
"....and Don Shula's going to lend me his quarterback!" -Hank Bullough, 1985

feldspar
04-06-2017, 10:14 AM
We're going to break the playoff drought with this crew, book it.

Wanna bet? No wait, that'll end badly for me...

Seriously, though, I think McDermott seems like the type fella that I will continue to like no matter how it ends up...

TigerJ
04-06-2017, 11:13 AM
It's hard to guarantee success in the NFL, even if you do everything the right way. One thing you need is an owner who believes your doing everything the right way even if it's taking a while, if you're not successful right away. For example, I've always admired the way Jason Garrett conducts himself in Dallas. I think it's taken him a while to enjoy success because of circumstances that have been mostly beyond his control; injuries, and a meddling, capricious owner when it comes to player personnel. Fortunately for Garrett, that same owner has shown a lot of patience with his head coach. The second thing you normally need is a good QB. I think Tyrod Taylor may be good enough to allow the Bills to make the playoffs if a lot of other things go right, but I'm skeptical of the notion that he's good enough to take a team to the Super Bowl and win it.

Wally The Barber
04-06-2017, 11:31 AM
I was invited but I needed to shovel my walk

DraftBoy
04-06-2017, 11:35 AM
It's all about establishing a culture.

We may not have the best recent history but if McDermott can create a culture where players see a fraternal/brotherhood like atmosphere embraced by the organization then that will help in getting new guys to adapt and even potentially help in reeling in big name FA's.

Night Train
04-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Let's crap on everything until we win games.

I hate ( fill in the blank )

Wally The Barber
04-06-2017, 12:07 PM

This is a good idea

**** the bastards

Historian
04-06-2017, 01:24 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8v83qUU0AAlhA9.jpg:large

justasportsfan
04-06-2017, 02:18 PM
McDermott : Hey Jim, is your nephew a headcase like Ryan Leaf?

BillsFan4
04-06-2017, 02:27 PM
Rex went to a bar and bull****ted with Kelly for a few hours
McDermott seemed to be on a mission to learn about our greats, what made them special, what made the team click, and how much the city inspired them. He also took input from them about our current team and wants them to be a part of the bills today. Big difference
I agree. It seemed like it was just a big publicity stunt under Rex. He had no interest in trying to learn anything from them. He just wanted to prove how cool he was (IMO).

I don't see this as some publicity stunt with McDermott. No press was notified of the dinner and no cameras were there. The players asked someone to take a picture of the whole crew with their cell phone. It wasn't just some photo op. Jim Kelly even seemed to imply on Instagram that he was initially asked not to post anything about the dinner on social media unless word got out about it.

BillsFan4
04-06-2017, 02:37 PM
I really like McDermott so far. The man is intent and has style.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/05/sean-mcdermott-invited-seven-franchise-greats-dinner-tuesday/
I honestly haven't been this excited about a Bills head coach in a very, very long time. I was never on the Rex hype train and was never really excited about, or impressed with, Marrone (outside of his defensive coordinator hires), so it's not like I always get pumped up about the new Bills coach.

But ive also been a Sean McDermott fan for a while now, so maybe I am just biased toward him, I don't know.
I just feel like he has a lot of the traits that make for a great NFL head coach. I don't expect the Bills to be great next season or anything. But I just feel like if he's given the time, he will get the Bills turned around.