PDA

View Full Version : B/R: GM Whaley Loves Deshaun Watson

DraftBoy
04-07-2017, 02:11 PM
http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/bills-whaley-in-love-with-qb-deshaun-watson

Over the past few days, the Buffalo Bills have been linked to a couple of different quarterbacks that will be eligible for the draft. However, the latest link is certainly far more tantalizing than either of the other two bits of news.

This comes from the most recent Scouting Notebook from Matt Miller of BleacherReport.com. When it came to the quarterbacks in this year's draft, an unnamed director of player personnel in the league shed some light on how he thought it would shake out.

According to Miller, this unnamed front office member said, "I don't think that run on quarterbacks is gonna happen early. I think it happens in the 20s."

However, the director of player personnel also threw in a Bills-related caveat -- and this is where it gets juicy. From Miller:

"The wild card, he said, is Buffalo at No. 10 overall if general manager Doug Whaley is 'as in love with [Deshaun] Watson as we hear he is.'"

Dr. Lecter
04-07-2017, 02:16 PM
No

Thurmal
04-07-2017, 03:02 PM
Wow, a QB who doesn't run a pro-offense, has accuracy issues, threw a ton of picks against uncomplicated college defenses, and will need to learn how to take snaps under center. I am SHOCKED that Whaley loves this guy and thinks he will be a good pro.

My brother's GF is someone who just has bad taste in everything. Restaurants, entertainment, etc. If she hates a movie, I will go see it because that probably means it's awesome. If she thinks a new bar is cool, I will avoid it because it will probably suck. This is who Doug Whaley reminds me of when it comes to picking QBs.

Turf
04-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Hopefully this isn't true, but with Rainman I wouldn't doubt it's true.

jamze132
04-07-2017, 03:09 PM
D. Watson will be an enigma in the NFL. He will be a good one! Don't ask me how I know, I just know... He's going to win a lot of games.

Mouldsie
04-07-2017, 03:49 PM
Wow, a QB who doesn't run a pro-offense, has accuracy issues, threw a ton of picks against uncomplicated college defenses, and will need to learn how to take snaps under center. I am SHOCKED that Whaley loves this guy and thinks he will be a good pro.

My brother's GF is someone who just has bad taste in everything. Restaurants, entertainment, etc. If she hates a movie, I will go see it because that probably means it's awesome. If she thinks a new bar is cool, I will avoid it because it will probably suck. This is who Doug Whaley reminds me of when it comes to picking QBs.
Just remember Whaley never wanted TT... Rex and Sean did

Mouldsie
04-07-2017, 04:18 PM
I have low faith in Watson as an NFL QB prospect. This isn't great news if true.

JoeMama
04-07-2017, 04:23 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO GOD NO

Ingtar33
04-07-2017, 04:35 PM

perfect post.

TacklingDummy
04-07-2017, 04:40 PM
After reading all the naysayers in this thread who have been wrong about every Bills QB, Watson is going to be a star.

Klaista2k
04-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Has Whaley ever loved a white QB?

streetkings01
04-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Has Whaley ever loved a white QB?Jeff Tuel?

Luisito23
04-07-2017, 06:30 PM
I'd rather draft Watson then any stupid safety, or corner

YardRat
04-07-2017, 06:33 PM
I hope it's a smokescreen trying to bait somebody to move up into our spot and draft him. Like Cleveland.

Mad Max
04-07-2017, 07:11 PM
I hope it's a smokescreen trying to bait somebody to move up into our spot and draft him. Like Cleveland.
Smokescreen?

do you really think Whaley is clever enough to throw up a smoke screen?

Mad Max
04-07-2017, 07:13 PM
I'd rather draft Watson then any stupid safety, or corner

i agree with the sentiment but if we're going to overdraft someone I would want Pat Mahomes all day erryday. Ideally the last of the good receivers left on the board then Trade back up to grab Mahomes.

I just dont see much much of a difference between Watson and Tyrod.

Turf
04-07-2017, 08:41 PM
I'll say it again, Watson is a taller Tyrod. That's about it.

Mouldsie
04-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Jeff Tuel?

Kevin Kolb

Mace
04-07-2017, 09:35 PM
It's all well and good that Whaley loves him, as long as McDermott doesn't give him permission to Whaley another draft.

In McDermott I trust until they do something stupid that tells me otherwise, like taking a QB at #10.

psubills62
04-07-2017, 09:53 PM
We've pretty consistently thrown up smokescreens ever since Whaley took over.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, though. Prototype for a Whaley QB, and he's from Clemson. Sometimes I think Whaley just looks at CFB recruiting rankings rather than scouting reports.

stuckincincy
04-07-2017, 10:56 PM
http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/bills-whaley-in-love-with-qb-deshaun-watson

He's been drifting in and out of numerous mocks as BUF's pick for some time.

Other than the top 3 or so positions, IMO, mocks are what they are - mocks.

I favor the BPA receiver for BUF.

Yeah, Taylor may not get the ball to him, but Watkins's injury history, etc.

WagonCircler
04-08-2017, 09:27 AM
Has Whaley ever loved a white QB?

Or a white player at any position?

Mace
04-08-2017, 04:31 PM
Or a white player at any position?

He sure seemed to love him some Jordan Gay.

John Doe
04-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Well...

Last year Whaley loved Cardale Jones. He didn't draft him in the first round.

Wally The Barber
04-08-2017, 04:55 PM
Great hair

Saratoga Slim
04-08-2017, 07:21 PM
I think we're drafting secondary at #10. McDermott's defense places a premium on DBs, and he can't feel great about Micah Hyde and Ron Darby being his best players back there. Say what you will about Gilmore, he left a gaping hole at CB. That's my guess, FWIW.

Supposedly a deep draft for DBs, but I'll be surprised if we wait on it...

mdcas22
04-08-2017, 08:20 PM
I think we're drafting secondary at #10. McDermott's defense places a premium on DBs, and he can't feel great about Micah Hyde and Ron Darby being his best players back there. Say what you will about Gilmore, he left a gaping hole at CB. That's my guess, FWIW.

Supposedly a deep draft for DBs, but I'll be surprised if we wait on it...

believe it or not Gilmore is not the kind of CB Mcderm would want, he likes the Dontie Whitner types that like to make tackles and can wrap up when doing so. Gilmore was great in pass coverage but terrible asst in the run game.

Bill Cody
04-08-2017, 08:38 PM
Bills Nation will all be wearing suicide vests on draft day praying Whaley doesn't pick Watson at 10 so we have to press the button

Night Train
04-08-2017, 09:44 PM
Whaley has been reduced to glorified scout status since D minded McDermott arrived.

But believe...a report !!

Klaista2k
04-10-2017, 11:40 PM
Or a white coach?

Before Rex was hired it rumored Whaley wanted Hue Jackson.

This last coaching search Whaley wanted to hire Anthony Lynn.

BertSquirtgum
04-11-2017, 12:08 AM
Whaley can drive over the Niagara gorge if he talks Mcdermott into drafting him.

Skooby
04-11-2017, 06:05 AM

It's like asking a guy I know at the track who's winning the race, then betting the exact opposite for the win. Yeah, you make a real valid point. Who's keeping Whaley around ?? Pegula.

Lose the losers and stupidity soon, please Terry.

Forward_Lateral
04-11-2017, 10:39 AM
EJ Manuel 2.0

Turf
04-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Heard on the radio then other day, Watson has two weaknesses. Accuracy and reading defense. I'm like really? In other words he lacks everything you need in a QB. Why would anyone want him even in the 5th round?

ticatfan
04-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Good pick. Every college QB is going to have issues. And how many times have people said things about QB that would false.

Bill Cody
04-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Good pick. Every college QB is going to have issues. And how many times have people said things about QB that would false.

My eyeballs say no. Bad pick.

JoeMama
04-11-2017, 02:25 PM
believe it or not Gilmore is not the kind of CB Mcderm would want, he likes the Dontie Whitner types that like to make tackles and can wrap up when doing so. Gilmore was great in pass coverage but terrible asst in the run game.

... and now I'm officially worried about MccyD's scheme.

Anyone who puts a premium on a player like Donte Whitner over a player like Stephan Gilmore makes me unsure of their judgment.

Although, Jamal Adams would look good at SS if for some reason he fell to #10. Great skill set. Great leadership. And he has that DBU pedigree.

X-Era
04-12-2017, 06:55 AM
I'd take him. But not at 10.

Forward_Lateral
04-12-2017, 06:56 AM

Depending on what around. If they pick him at 10, I will take a dump in a box and mail it directly to One Bills Drive