• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Some Replacement names being thrown out by Paul Hamilton

Western New York’s number one source for daily sports talk and play-by-play as the flagship station of the Bills and Sabres. Stream, read and download WGR 550 AM from any device on Audacy
  • Swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Re: Some Replacement names being thrown out by Paul Hamilton

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) - In the end, I thought Tim Murray and Dan Bylsma would be retained. But the reality is: Buffalo missed the playoffs by 17 points, not two, and this organization drastically regressed this season.

Murray had laid the groundwork to sign Russian defenseman Viktor Antipin and had made arrangements with Vegas general manager George McPhee for the expansion draft. All of that could be in danger now.

Many names are being thrown around to replace both men, but for me it starts and ends with Rick Dudley. When it comes to evaluating talent, there is nobody I respect more than Montreal’s assistant general manager. The thing is, he has turned down jobs to stay with the Canadiens.

If Chris Drury is ready to run a team, he would be another high on my list. The former Sabres captain is currently the with the Rangers as an assistant general manager.

The Pegulas have been known to pull out of the Penguins organization, which may turn them towards Pittsburgh's associate general manager Jason Botterill or assistant general manager, Bill Guerin.

Maple Leafs assistant general manager Mark Hunter is considered as an up-and-coming star executive in the league.

Pierre LeBrun of ESPN also mentioned Tampa Bay assistant general manager, Julien BriseBois.

Devils assistant general manager Tom Fitzgerald is another name brought up as a smart hockey man. Murray drafted his son Casey in the third round of the NHL Draft last June.

Dean Lombardi was fired in Los Angeles this season, but won two Stanley Cups with the Kings along with his coach, Darryl Sutter.

Phil Housley seems to be ready to make the jump to head coach. He’s an assistant coach with Nashville. Kris Baker of SabresProspects.com had an idea of Kevyn Adams to run the hockey department with Housley as head coach. I could sign up for all of that with Drury being the general manager.

I’m sure Lindy Ruff’s name will be kicked around as the team’s next coach. For me, that should be the new GM’s job: to hire the coach

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
      • Aug 2012

Ya know, a few years ago, people kicked the idea of Lindy ruff being the GM. this was before hiring assistant GMs was the norm though. Not sure how he would do at it though.

Love the idea of housley as a coach.
      Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• Swiper
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2010

Lot of old Sabres in that article.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

I actually don't mind the Boston U. coach coming here, instead of the more known retreads. Drury as GM isn't a bad idea.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Ingtar33
            Dances With Buffaloes
            • Sep 2002

I want them to dig Gerry Meehan out of whatever retirement home he's in to run this place. last time he was behind the wheel this was an exciting team, he could build offense and he had a good eye for goaltenders (that Stephane Beauregard for Christian Ruuttu for Dom Hasek trade looks pretty good right?) .
            Last edited by Ingtar33; 04-20-2017, 05:23 PM.
            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
              I actually don't mind the Boston U. coach coming here, instead of the more known retreads. Drury as GM isn't a bad idea.
              Who is the other guy I keep thinking of? Boughner. He was hot in the radar for a few years. He's in San Jose noe as an assistant
              Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• Swiper
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2010

Paul Hamilton: From Kevin Allen: “At the start of this season, there were whispers the Pegulas had some discomfort with Murray’s style”

Bucky Gleason: “I’m told Pegulas were looking for answers on how to proceed, and Murray didn’t have many, or any. Bylsma was collateral damage swept w/GMTM”

Bucky Gleason: “Pegulas, plural, must realize problems start with them. They need to take responsibility, too, for dysfunction.”

Bucky Gleason: “This whole thing started with Pegulas buying into Regier, then juvenile behavior that pushed out LaF, then tank and its side effects. Mess.”

Pierre LeBrun: GM candidates could be “Julien BriseBois, Jason Botterill, Dean Lombardi and Brad Treliving (if he’s free) … Bill Guerin, Laurence Gilman, Tom Fitzgerald, other smart hockey guys. Another good hockey mind, Craig Conroy. Lots of options for the Sabres.”

Joe Smith: “Would have to imagine #tblightning assistant GM Julien BriseBois could be candidate for @BuffaloSabres vacancy. Yzerman’s right hand man”

Kevin Allen: “If you are Terry Pegula, doesn’t the first call have to go to Dean Lombardi? Two Stanley Cups, known as an organized planner.”

Kevin Allen: “If Sabres want fresh GM: Bill Guerin, Tom Fitzgerald, Jason Botterill, Paul Fenton, Julien BriseBois, Chris Drury, Ryan Martin, Kris Draper”

Kevin Weekes: “I have to former Sabre great Phil Housley and Dean Lombardi move to top of the line candidates for @BuffaloSabres Coach & GM. @NHLNetwork”

Mark Spector: “If I am Buffalo I’m talking to #Blackhawks Ass’t GM Norm MacIver. He’s worked under GM Stan Bowman for years, maybe the best there is.”

Jimmy Murphy: “I wonder if Pegulas wanted Bylsma out and Murray said no, so now they’re both out?”

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-news-buffalo-sabres-fire-gm-coach-possible-replacements/2017/04/20/

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                  Skoobasaurus-Rex
                  • Oct 2011

Bowman is nearing the century mark, let's bring him back as a legendary GM. Lots of success there in Detroit.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                    Bowman is nearing the century mark, let's bring him back as a legendary GM. Lots of success there in Detroit.
                    He wasn't GM in Detroit
                    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• Swiper
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
                      He wasn't GM in Detroit
                      LOL. I couldn't tell whether he was talking about Scottie or Stan.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                        LOL. I couldn't tell whether he was talking about Scottie or Stan.
                        Ever read his posts? Im not sure he even knows what he is talking about
                        Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                          Skoobasaurus-Rex
                          • Oct 2011

He wasn't GM in Detroit
                          Scotty was the GM & Coach of the Buffalo Sabres, henceforth the legendary part. Just being able to squirt boy doesn't mean you're a man, remember that I dribble more than you p1ss.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                            Scotty was the GM & Coach of the Buffalo Sabres, henceforth the legendary part. Just being able to squirt boy doesn't mean you're a man, remember that I dribble more than you p1ss.
                            LMAO, is that a real post? You brought him up as a GM, then brought up his success in Detroit, where he wasnt a GM. I wonder why that ****post would cause any confusion. Post better. Or better yet. Post less
                            Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                              Skoobasaurus-Rex
                              • Oct 2011

LMAO, is that a real post? You brought him up as a GM, then brought up his success in Detroit, where he wasnt a GM. I wonder why that ****post would cause any confusion. Post better. Or better yet. Post less
                              Bringing him back was a joke man, his credentials and success are not. We need men here, steal them by over paying and let's go.

Comment

Working...
                              X