PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting thoughts on the draft from Bills reporter Chirs Brown

Ed
04-21-2017, 03:08 PM
Chris Brown's latest Fan Friday blog came out today. I usually find these kind of dull, but he had a couple answers related to the draft that I found interesting:

1 – @ChrisBrownBills Will O.J. Howard make it to the bills at pick ten?
Jordan Branch
@BuffaloBranch83
CB: I think every Bills fan should hope so. Buffalo would be running the card up to the table if he was still on the clock. Howard in my estimation is one of the six truly elite prospects in this class along with Garrett, Thomas, Fournette, Adams and Lattimore. You could make a strong argument for Hooker, Allen and McCaffrey too, but those are the top six as I see it.
In order for Howard to get to 10, I think at least one of the quarterback prospects has to come off the board in front of them. Ideally two of the perceived top QBs go in the top 10. That would push more of the truly elite talent down the board so the Bills have a chance to get one.
Cross your fingers.

5 – @ChrisBrownBills
Chris, I know it wouldn’t b a pick that would go over with most Bills fans? But can u c the Bills drafting McCaffrey?
Mikey
@Mikeybeit
CB: You’re right it wouldn’t be popular, but it wouldn’t be a reach or outlandish pick at all. I’m pretty confident McCaffrey goes in the top 10 somewhere. Personally I don’t think he gets past Carolina at eight. The reason why he’s so valuable is because in addition to his elite physical skill set is he can legitimately be lined up at receiver in addition to running back. He can also help on returns.
So a player with his multi-faceted production and athletic measurables to match signals top 10 talent. Not to mention his dad had a successful career in the league with Denver.
If the Bills pick him the narrative will be, ‘here they go again replacing running backs like they did with McGahee and Marshawn and Spiller.’ If the Bills don’t match the Gillislee offer sheet that line of criticism will be even louder.
What will be lost in such a scenario is the veritable matchup nightmare McCaffrey would be no matter where he lines up on the field. I believe he’s an elite talent, so he fits the value at 10.
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/?icampaign=blog_header

It sounds like the Bills would not hesitate to draft OJ Howard, which I would be a big fan of. He's really grown on me and is easily in my top 3 favorites for our pick at #10 right now. I also find the talk of McCaffrey going in the top 10 interesting. He's a player I've also really liked just because he seems to be really versatile and could like up at both RB and in the slot as a receiver. I've never really considered him as a possibility at #10, but if the value is there and he can be used in different ways, I could get excited about that pick. I know others would hate it.

Cali512
04-21-2017, 03:17 PM
I would totally pick McCaffrey. No hesitation

Thurmal
04-21-2017, 03:32 PM
If they pick a TE or RB at #10, I am going to have a meltdown.

DB or LB or trade down. Or pick the best OL, whatever. JUST DON'T MAKE LUXURY PICKS WHEN YOU HAVE A ROSTER WITH A TON OF HOLES!!!

streetkings01
04-21-2017, 03:35 PM
Cook is a better running back then McCaffrey. He chewed up some elite college defenses(Clemson/Michigan) with a below average oline. If we take a RB and it's McCaffrey with Cook still on the board then I'm officially on the fire Whaley wagon!

justasportsfan
04-21-2017, 03:40 PM
drafting either means we're looking for cap and will let either Shady or Clay go. If not this season, nest year for sure.

Joe Fo Sho
04-21-2017, 03:50 PM
drafting either means we're looking for cap and will let either Shady or Clay go. If not this season, nest year for sure.

Cutting Charles Clay doesn't save us money until 2019. Cutting Shady saves $3.7MM next year and $6.425MM in 2019.

SpikedLemonade
04-21-2017, 03:51 PM

DB or LB or trade down. Or pick the best OL, whatever. JUST DON'T MAKE LUXURY PICKS WHEN YOU HAVE A ROSTER WITH A TON OF HOLES!!!

Me too!

Bill Cody
04-21-2017, 03:55 PM
Howard would be a great weapon to open up the middle of the field....oh wait...

Goobylal
04-21-2017, 03:59 PM
What is the fascination with OJ Howard? He was minimally productive in college. This has to (better be) a smokescreen.

Cali512
04-21-2017, 04:36 PM

Clay barely plays with his injuries and our biggest holes right now are WR and CB. McCafferey and Howard essentially are the same thing as a WR, and CB can easily be a depth pick. But id rather Hooker still

Cali512
04-21-2017, 04:43 PM
What is the fascination with OJ Howard? He was minimally productive in college. This has to (better be) a smokescreen.

He has elite size and strength, amazing hands, and Alabama rarely uses a TE yet he still was productive. They haven't had a good QB in forever, and they run more than anything

Goobylal
04-21-2017, 05:04 PM
He has elite size and strength, amazing hands, and Alabama rarely uses a TE yet he still was productive. They haven't had a good QB in forever, and they run more than anything

You'd think that with all that, he'd have caught more than 3 TD's in a season.

Jry44
04-21-2017, 05:14 PM

Oj Howard isn't just a TE. He would be a #2 WR on a lot of teams int he league right now, in addition to their best TE. He might be the biggest TE match up nightmare to come our since Gronk, and I think he is much tougher to match up with than McCaffery. With that said, CB can also be blowing smoke here.

Many scouts consider Reuben Foster to be a top 3 to 4 player in this draft, and Brown didn't eve mention him. Found that interesting given what McDermott had in Carolina.....

Goobylal
04-21-2017, 05:17 PM
Oj Howard isn't just a TE. He would be a #2 WR on a lot of teams int he league right now, in addition to their best TE. He might be the biggest TE match up nightmare to come our since Gronk, and I think he is much tougher to match up with than McCaffery. With that said, CB can also be blowing smoke here.

Many scouts consider Reuben Foster to be a top 3 to 4 player in this draft, and Brown didn't eve mention him. Found that interesting given what McDermott had in Carolina.....

That's because Foster failed a drug test at the Combine. As for Howard, he's pure projection at this point.

Jry44
04-21-2017, 05:17 PM

He was used a LOT as a blocker, and was pretty elite in that role. He's part of the reason for Bama having such a devastating run game.

Imagine a guy that can block that effectively in the run game and has the ability of a #2 receiver, and you see the fascination.

Jry44
04-21-2017, 05:19 PM
That's because Foster failed a drug test at the Combine. As for Howard, he's pure projection at this point.

Yes, that's all over the news. So what. That does not take away from his athletic ability. If he's there at 10 I pull the trigger.

The guy has had absolutely no issues outside of this and the recombine flare up, which some say he was set up.

TigerJ
04-21-2017, 05:32 PM
This might be the most uncertain draft for the Bills in years, at least from the perspective of observers. The other day on the John Murphy show, Steve Tasker suggested he would shy away from drafting Howard, only because TE's are mostly used in the short and intermediate passing game and Tyrod's strength is the deep passing game. I didn't see that last season as much. In 2015 Tyrod was pretty impressive on his deep throws. I don't necessarily agree. When a tight end runs the same speed as a lot of the WRs in the draft, why can't he get deep? I did hear an opinion today that unless Marshon Lattimore drops into Buffalo's lap, their strategy ought to be to pick up a CB or two later in the draft because McDermott's use of a zone scheme in his secondary doesn't demand nearly the skill set of a corner that a man coverage scheme does. The same person suggested salary was not the only reason Buffalo let Gilmore get away. Just as important is Gilmore's tendency to shy away from solid tackling technique. McDermott places a premium on that in his DBs.

Skooby
04-21-2017, 06:30 PM
We are taking a WR first, it's in stone.

Mace
04-21-2017, 06:39 PM
I don't know, adding more passing weapons when Taylor has issues passing and using the ones he has doesn't make sense to me, especially when the limited number of picks mean you have to skip a defensive upgrade.

They added tank fullback types, means they intend to run. If you want to make best use of a running game you need a way better defense than we have, not passing game weapons. Some seem to think Taylor just needs more weapons to throw to, and he'll be better. I'm not one of them though. Give him a defense and let him play his game, efficient small ball and mobility, with the occasional long ball.

Occasional necessarily means the added offensive passing weapons are not going to get a lot of plays for value at pick number 10.

Goobylal
04-21-2017, 07:14 PM
He was used a LOT as a blocker, and was pretty elite in that role. He's part of the reason for Bama having such a devastating run game.

Imagine a guy that can block that effectively in the run game and has the ability of a #2 receiver, and you see the fascination.

He has proven himself as a run blocker. To say he's a number two wide receiver though is, again, speculation.

Yes, that's all over the news. So what. That does not take away from his athletic ability. If he's there at 10 I pull the trigger.

The guy has had absolutely no issues outside of this and the recombine flare up, which some say he was set up.

It makes a difference to teams. That's what.

We are a WR first, it's in stone.

Yup.

kgun12
04-21-2017, 07:24 PM
I don't want anything to do with McCaffrey, anyone that is so worried about getting hurt that he would play in the bowl game or work out for teams I don't need him, especially at 10!

As far as Howard goes I would love him, but we have too many other needs to draft a TE with a QB that does throw to TE's. Besides this draft is deep at TE we can get a good one later.

Jry44
04-21-2017, 08:38 PM
He has proven himself as a run blocker. To say he's a number two wide receiver though is, again, speculation.
It makes a difference to teams. That's what.

Yup.
It's not at all speculation when he has produced when he has been throw to and featured in the game plan. See the 2016 national championship. Furthermore, I am regurgitating when I am reading scouts say, whom I trust more than the opinion of a guy on a message board

Then let it make a difference to them. If it's me, I'm running to the podium with the pick while they're stressing over a failed test for a plant that's becoming growingly legal in more and more states.

Additionally..... you have to remember that this is smoke and mirrors season. Teams will put out negative stuff and rumors to get a guy to fall. The people that are saying it's an issue to them right now are probably saying this in hopes that someone ahead of them with a similar need passes on him.

kgun12
04-22-2017, 08:41 AM
It's not at all speculation when he has produced when he has been throw to and featured in the game plan. See the 2016 national championship. Furthermore, I am regurgitating when I am reading scouts say, whom I trust more than the opinion of a guy on a message board

Then let it make a difference to them. If it's me, I'm running to the podium with the pick while they're stressing over a failed test for a plant that's becoming growingly legal in more and more states.

Additionally..... you have to remember that this is smoke and mirrors season. Teams will put out negative stuff and rumors to get a guy to fall. The people that are saying it's an issue to them right now are probably saying this in hopes that someone ahead of them with a similar need passes on him.

Mel Kiper and all the so call "experts" have been wrong WAY more than the ever are right. Not to say I wouldn't rely more on what they say then us message boards experts. It's all speculation, if it was more then that almost every first round pick would pan out, reality shows only 33% of first rounder's work out.

Historian
04-22-2017, 08:48 AM
If they go WR, it says to me that Watkins and Whaley are essentially done here.

TacklingDummy
04-22-2017, 09:45 AM
Mel Kiper and all the so call "experts" have been wrong WAY more than the ever are right. Not to say I wouldn't rely more on what they say then us message boards experts. It's all speculation, if it was more then that almost every first round pick would pan out, reality shows only 33% of first rounder's work out.

In the case of the Bills the past 10 years...

2016: Shaq Lawson
2015: None
2014: Sammy Watkins
2013: EJ Manuel
2012: Stephon Gilmore
2011: Marcell Dareus
2010: CJ Spiller
2009: Arron Maybin
2009: Eric Wood (probably has had the best career in Buffalo out of the 12)
2008: McToast
2007: Marshawn Lynch
2006: Donte Whitner
2006: John McCargo

...one could say anywhere from 0% to 15%. By far there really has been no super star in the bunch. One would expect maybe more than 2 good seasons out of 12 former 1st round picks.

justasportsfan
04-22-2017, 10:09 AM
More weapons without a qb who can take advantage of them.

Mr. Miyagi
04-22-2017, 10:11 AM
Chris Brown's latest Fan Friday blog came out today. I usually find these kind of dull, but he had a couple answers related to the draft that I found interesting:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/?icampaign=blog_header

This is what I've been thinking all along. The Bills looking at all those QBs is an elaborate smokescreen to get teams to jump ahead of them to take their QB in order to get a certain player pushed down to them. The smokescreen is so good most of the media is buying it, projecting the Bills to take Trubiski in many mocks. I don't know if it's Howard or not but it's a non-QB for sure. Otherwise it'd be so completely stupid of them to broadcast their intentions of taking a QB like they have been.

Skooby
04-22-2017, 10:36 AM
If they go WR, it says to me that Watkins and Whaley are essentially done here.
I love Sammy but he's simply not been healthy enough to justify the price we paid or even a guaranteed extension in the stratosphere he could get, it's plain to see we're skeptical (rightfully so).

cookie G
04-22-2017, 10:51 AM

I'm not sure how a pass catcher is a "luxury" on a team that is down to 1 or 2.

Maybe in a Buddy Nix world, but not in the NFL.

But by all means, waste another top pick on a defensive back. Its worked so well in the past.

SpikedLemonade
04-22-2017, 12:03 PM

But by all means, waste another top pick on a defensive back. Its worked so well in the past.

"But...but...but...you need a "Shutdown Corner" to...."

I have done the analysis in the past however it is obvious the Bills do not draft the 5 offensive line positions as highly as they do the 2 cornerbacks.

AND it is one of the major reasons we suck.

Jry44
04-22-2017, 01:25 PM

Agreed, and this is the reason why I put no stock into what he or McShay say. I like to take the word of guys that have actually worked as scouts. And I NEVER rely on stupid mock drafts. I like to read their big boards.

cookie G
04-22-2017, 03:38 PM

I have done the analysis in the past however it is obvious the Bills do not draft the 5 offensive line positions as highly as they do the 2 cornerbacks.

We don't draft ANY position high as we do defensive back.

But what the hell...we know more about draft strategy than the perennial playoff teams do.

kgun12
04-22-2017, 07:17 PM

I would draft the top offensive linemen with the 1st round pick almost every year, my family is tried of me complaining every year after the first round!

Mace
04-22-2017, 08:38 PM

At pick 10 when you don't have a passing offense, or a proficient passer ? It's putting the cart before the horse when you'll be able to get a receiver later in the draft, and there will be plenty of new ones next year or when they finally find a passer/passing offense to compete in the modern game.

They don't have McCoy, Taylor, DiMarco, Tolbert to jump into the modern passing era. We tried this before too, Watkins, Clay, Bush, Harvin would all certainly enhance the passing game....except for the quarterbacking.

I'm not necessarily saying take a DB, but we need value and impact and bang for the buck per play. That's what makes a receiver a "luxury" pick at 10.

sudzy
04-23-2017, 06:49 AM
In the case of the Bills the past 10 years...

2016: Shaq Lawson
2015: None
2014: Sammy Watkins
2013: EJ Manuel
2012: Stephon Gilmore
2011: Marcell Dareus
2010: CJ Spiller
2009: Arron Maybin
2009: Eric Wood (probably has had the best career in Buffalo out of the 12)
2008: McToast
2007: Marshawn Lynch
2006: Donte Whitner
2006: John McCargo

...one could say anywhere from 0% to 15%. By far there really has been no super star in the bunch. One would expect maybe more than 2 good seasons out of 12 former 1st round picks.

Ugh! And this is why the Bills are 7-9ish every year. They need a home run in this draft. That drafting record pitiful. Five base hits. Maybe a double on Gilmore and Dareus (when he's not smoking pot) and five strike outs on EJ, McCargo, Maybin, Spiller and McKelvin.

kishoph
04-23-2017, 07:49 AM

But what the hell...we know more about draft strategy than the perennial playoff teams do.

That may be true, but look at the DB's that the Bills have used their 1st picks on since 1999.
Antoine Winfield
Nate Clements
Donte Whitner
Leodis McKelvin
Stephon Gilmore
Ronald Darby (2nd round)
There have been some pretty good careers among that group. There have been 5 D-linemen selected in that time span (counting John McCargo, 1B) and only Marcell Dareus has proven himself. That group of 5 include McCargo, Aaron Maybin and Erik Flowers. Shaq Lawson has no real body of work to know how he'll turn out.
With the way the game is geared towards passing, having good DB's is crucial. I have no problems with the Bills taking a DB with their 1st pick if they are really sold on him (and of course he pans out).

SpikedLemonade
04-23-2017, 08:36 AM
I would draft the top offensive linemen with the 1st round pick almost every year, my family is tried of me complaining every year after the first round!

That is how games are won in the last 2 months of the season -- being able to run the ball successfully when the other team knows you are running but cannot stop you from imposing your will.

WagonCircler
04-23-2017, 10:00 AM
If we take a RB and it's McCaffrey with Cook still on the board then I'm officially on the fire Whaley wagon!

I honestly don't think it's Whaley's call anymore. I think he's being eased out, and that they're keeping him around for the draft because was too late to throw out all of his scouting work and start from scratch in time. He's there to make phone calls to other GMs, and not much more.

cookie G
04-23-2017, 10:56 AM
That is how games are won in the last 2 months of the season -- being able to run the ball successfully when the other team knows you are running but cannot stop you from imposing your will.

For you....

Did you happen to notice what Tenn. did last year? It was something that would make Buffalo fans cringe.

They used their first round pick on a right tackle, on Cactus Jack Conklin.

And not only was it a No. 1 pick, it was a top 10 pick (no. 8).
And...they traded up to get the pick.
And...this was after using their prior year first round pick on a left tackle.

They then brought in Demarco Murray to rejuvenate his career.

The results:

Cactus Jack became a rookie all pro at the position.

More importantly..sacks dropped from 54 in 2015 to to 28 in 2016...5 of those were were in the last game, when former Bills legend Matt Cassel was starting.

they went from 30th to 11th in yardage and from 24th to 14th in points. They scored 82 more points than in 2015.

But of course...you never use a 1st round pick on a right tackle.

Thought you'd like that :).

cookie G
04-23-2017, 11:18 AM
That may be true, but look at the DB's that the Bills have used their 1st picks on since 1999.
Antoine Winfield
Nate Clements
Donte Whitner
Leodis McKelvin
Stephon Gilmore
Ronald Darby (2nd round)
There have been some pretty good careers among that group. There have been 5 D-linemen selected in that time span (counting John McCargo, 1B) and only Marcell Dareus has proven himself. That group of 5 include McCargo, Aaron Maybin and Erik Flowers. Shaq Lawson has no real body of work to know how he'll turn out.
With the way the game is geared towards passing, having good DB's is crucial. I have no problems with the Bills taking a DB with their 1st pick if they are really sold on him (and of course he pans out).

And....how many playoff appearances have those pretty good defensive backs gotten us in this 17 year playoff drought?

When you count Aaron Williams, (1st pick of the 2nd round), during this playoff drought..the Bills have used their top pick on a DB a whopping 7 times. And have been to the playoffs...not once. And people want ot make this number 8.

The Steelers used their top pick on a DB last year for the first time since...2003, when they drafted Troy P;

Baltimore...4 times. They guy either has to be an absolute stud (Ed Reed) or they are absolutely desperate, like they were when they drafted Jimmy Smith and Matt Elam;

Seattle...twice. Once in the Holmgren era, and once (Earl Thomas) in the Carroll era;

NE is a little different..Towards the end of the last decade, Belichick went a little nuts for a few years. Patrick Chung, McCourtny, Ras-I Dowling in successive years. Until last year, when he took Cyrus Jones, he's pretty much abandoned using his high picks on DBs. He went 5 years without using a high pick on a DB. And if people want to believe Chung and McCourtny are teh backbone of their D, or their team...good luck with that.

The good teams..the ones that are in the playoffs on a regular basis, and the ones with a consistently good D....they don't think like Buffalo when it comes to drafting.

Skooby
04-23-2017, 11:23 AM
If we could somehow combine all our best players from the past 20 years in their prime on one team, we'd still not win a Super Bowl because we wouldn't be properly coached / managed.

cookie G
04-23-2017, 11:23 AM
At pick 10 when you don't have a passing offense, or a proficient passer ? It's putting the cart before the horse when you'll be able to get a receiver later in the draft, and there will be plenty of new ones next year or when they finally find a passer/passing offense to compete in the modern game.

They don't have McCoy, Taylor, DiMarco, Tolbert to jump into the modern passing era. We tried this before too, Watkins, Clay, Bush, Harvin would all certainly enhance the passing game....except for the quarterbacking.

I'm not necessarily saying take a DB, but we need value and impact and bang for the buck per play. That's what makes a receiver a "luxury" pick at 10.

Would bang for the buck include the whopping 7 tackles we got from our no. 1 pick last year?

This is pretty much an annual argument in Buffalo. And it was the same argument as last year. And the year before that.

We need early contribution, we can't wait, its better to wait until next year, while we fill holes this year, etc etc.

except.. these early contributor picks we make don't often actually contribute as much as people think.

In a thread yesterday.. the Tribusky thread, I went down some of the contributions of our no. 1 picks. I think less than half contirbuted, or made any type of meaningful impact in their rookie years.

Mace
04-23-2017, 11:24 AM
Would bang for the buck include the whopping 7 tackles we got from our no. 1 pick last year?

This is pretty much an annual argument in Buffalo. And it was the same argument as last year. And the year before that.

We need early contribution, we can't wait, its better to wait until next year, while we fill holes this year, etc etc.

except.. these early contributor picks we make don't often actually contribute as much as people think.

In a thread yesterday.. the Tribusky thread, I went down some of the contributions of our no. 1 picks. I think less than half contirbuted, or made any type of meaningful impact in their rookie years.

I'm not going to argue with you, I worry about your blood pressure.

TacklingDummy
04-23-2017, 11:36 AM
The good teams..the ones that are in the playoffs on a regular basis, and the ones with a consistently good D....they don't think like Buffalo when it comes to drafting.

Good teams that consistently make the playoffs (NE,GB,Pitts,Den,Indy,NJG,SS)have one thing in common and bad teams (Buf,Browns,NYJ,Bears,Rams,Tenn) have the same thing in common.

And then there are your average teams (Cincy,Baltimore,Miami, Arizona, Washington, Dallas, Atlanta, KC) who had/have average to slightly above average QBs that have good defenses that may make the playoffs 1 year but don't the next.

Teams are built around the QB. Without one you are the Bills. With a average one, you are the Bengals. With a great one, you are the Steelers/Patriots/Packers.

cookie G
04-23-2017, 11:53 AM
Good teams that consistently make the playoffs (NE,GB,Pitts,Den,Indy,NJG,SS)have one thing in common and bad teams (Buf,Browns,NYJ,Bears,Rams,Tenn) have the same thing in common.

And then there are your average teams (Cincy,Baltimore,Miami, Arizona, Washington, Dallas, Atlanta, KC) who had/have average to slightly above average QBs that have good defenses that may make the playoffs 1 year but don't the next.

Teams are built around the QB. Without one you are the Bills. With a average one, you are the Bengals. With a great one, you are the Steelers/Patriots/Packers.

Well, we're not getting one if we change our defense every year and then "filling holes" in it.

I'm not even a Tyod hater, but I'd be willing to put more resources in the position that those who constantly complain about him.

Maybe one will drop out of the sky..idk.

Bill Cody
04-24-2017, 10:00 AM

Well as far as perennial playoff teams, 5 time SB champ NE doesn't value WR's in the 1st round never mind at 10. They've never done it in over 20 years and they seem to have managed. But they have a QB. See how that works? We on the other hand just spent two 1st's and a 4th on a WR 3 years ago, how's that working out? And you want to use another top 10 pick on a WR now? That's Matt Millen thinking. Giving a guy like TieRod more ammo is never going to make him an all pro. Either trade down and draft a QB or go defense.

cookie G
04-24-2017, 04:26 PM
Well as far as perennial playoff teams, 5 time SB champ NE doesn't value WR's in the 1st round never mind at 10. They've never done it in over 20 years and they seem to have managed. But they have a QB. See how that works? We on the other hand just spent two 1st's and a 4th on a WR 3 years ago, how's that working out? And you want to use another top 10 pick on a WR now? That's Matt Millen thinking. Giving a guy like TieRod more ammo is never going to make him an all pro. Either trade down and draft a QB or go defense.

The Billls draft a WR in the 1st about once a decade. Before Watkins, it was Lee Evans in 2004 (when they lost out on Ben R.). And no, you'll never get me to defend using an extra 1st on Watkins. Didn't at the time, won't now.

But in the past decade...the Bills have used a top pick on a DB 5 times. (throwing in Aaron Willams, he was the 1st pick of the second round).

5!

And...how's that worked out?

I got news for ya.

When it comes to DB's, we ARE the new Matt Millen.

Bill Cody
04-24-2017, 05:01 PM
The Billls draft a WR in the 1st about once a decade. Before Watkins, it was Lee Evans in 2004 (when they lost out on Ben R.). And no, you'll never get me to defend using an extra 1st on Watkins. Didn't at the time, won't now.

But in the past decade...the Bills have used a top pick on a DB 5 times. (throwing in Aaron Willams, he was the 1st pick of the second round).

5!

And...how's that worked out?

I got news for ya.

When it comes to DB's, we ARE the new Matt Millen.

There's 2 issues here at play. One is the Bills have been woeful at drafting. So you pick 5 DB's when some are whiffs or close to whiffs. So picking busts at any position is kind of what we do.

But the second issue is your philosophy on how you build a team, how to use high draft picks. BB learned from Parcells that WR's are better acquired later in the draft, that's a philosophy they both used. Maybe that philosophy is less valid now than it used to be with the new rules on offense, I won't argue that. But IMO I would be focusing on defense and QB not necessarily in that order. Until you have the QB you're never going to really succeed on offense so what is the point of loading up there? It baffles me. And by the way forgive me for my kind of sarcastic tone to you in the last post, my bad. I find myself getting a little testy right before the draft, like a rented mule just waiting to get beaten.

cookie G
04-24-2017, 06:34 PM
There's 2 issues here at play. One is the Bills have been woeful at drafting. So you pick 5 DB's when some are whiffs or close to whiffs. So picking busts at any position is kind of what we do.

But the second issue is your philosophy on how you build a team, how to use high draft picks. BB learned from Parcells that WR's are better acquired later in the draft, that's a philosophy they both used. Maybe that philosophy is less valid now than it used to be with the new rules on offense, I won't argue that. But IMO I would be focusing on defense and QB not necessarily in that order. Until you have the QB you're never going to really succeed on offense so what is the point of loading up there? It baffles me. And by the way forgive me for my kind of sarcastic tone to you in the last post, my bad. I find myself getting a little testy right before the draft, like a rented mule just waiting to get beaten.

I really don't have a problem with building a defense, but its not what this organization does.

It "rebuilds" a defense every other year. And every year, the priority is to find the players to "fit the system".

Example...

Everyone says we need an LB now, or 2. Im not sure if people are referring to the Mike, where Reggie Ragland is obsolete without playing a down, or if they are referring to the Sam, or Will.

In either case, we just spent a 2nd and 2 4ths on a guy that, now apparently doesn't fit.

As far as OLB goes, we had an OLB that fit perfectly in this system...Nigel Bradham. But he didn't fit in the "fully pregnant" system last year, so we let him go to Philly because everyone thought he sucked ( he didn't). Now a year later, we're looking for a guy plays like Bradham.

Its like building a house and while you're building it, swith the HVAC from central air to a heat pump, and then a split duct system and back to central air. And then people wonder why the electrical system isn't finished, or the roof is just tar paper, or the siding hasn't gotten past the House Wrap stage. It's like our general contractor has ADHD.

Sooner or later, you just have to say..."enough".

As far as Belichick goes...that's a little tough. There are times...if you recall, when he didn't have an WR..and he might not draft them, but he then bought Randy Moss and Wes Welker.

But he also does so many things that defy conventional thinking...they only seem to work for him. Not too many people would have dumped Chandler Jones or Collins..but he can make it work.

Its like Muhammed Ali. Many tried to imitate his style, but only he had the tools to make it work. I've come to think that only his mind knows why he does some of his things. Its why some of his underlings failed on other teams I think. Pioli in KC tried to emulate him..but he wasn't Belichick. Same with McDaniels when he was in Denver.

IDK..I'm willing to try something different..what we've been doing isn't working.

As far as the snarkiness goes...eh...its all good. Mace won't talk to me any more because he knows the mention of the words cornerback and safety make my BP rise 10 points.

GingerP
04-24-2017, 06:45 PM
But the second issue is your philosophy on how you build a team, how to use high draft picks. BB learned from Parcells that WR's are better acquired later in the draft, that's a philosophy they both used.

He used a first on Derrick Alexander when he was with Cleveland. He also signed Rison for big money there.

Plus, he just dealt a first for Brandin Cooks, and is going to have to pay big money to keep him beyond the next couple years.

He apparently is willing to invest big in a WR if he thinks the guy is worth it.

Bill Cody
04-27-2017, 09:17 AM
He used a first on Derrick Alexander when he was with Cleveland. He also signed Rison for big money there.

Plus, he just dealt a first for Brandin Cooks, and is going to have to pay big money to keep him beyond the next couple years.

He apparently is willing to invest big in a WR if he thinks the guy is worth it.

Apparently it's not worth it often, that took some research to come up with not much.

Bill Cody
04-27-2017, 09:21 AM
I really don't have a problem with building a defense, but its not what this organization does.

It "rebuilds" a defense every other year. And every year, the priority is to find the players to "fit the system".

Example...

Everyone says we need an LB now, or 2. Im not sure if people are referring to the Mike, where Reggie Ragland is obsolete without playing a down, or if they are referring to the Sam, or Will.

In either case, we just spent a 2nd and 2 4ths on a guy that, now apparently doesn't fit.

As far as OLB goes, we had an OLB that fit perfectly in this system...Nigel Bradham. But he didn't fit in the "fully pregnant" system last year, so we let him go to Philly because everyone thought he sucked ( he didn't). Now a year later, we're looking for a guy plays like Bradham.

Its like building a house and while you're building it, swith the HVAC from central air to a heat pump, and then a split duct system and back to central air. And then people wonder why the electrical system isn't finished, or the roof is just tar paper, or the siding hasn't gotten past the House Wrap stage. It's like our general contractor has ADHD.

Sooner or later, you just have to say..."enough".

As far as Belichick goes...that's a little tough. There are times...if you recall, when he didn't have an WR..and he might not draft them, but he then bought Randy Moss and Wes Welker.

But he also does so many things that defy conventional thinking...they only seem to work for him. Not too many people would have dumped Chandler Jones or Collins..but he can make it work.

Its like Muhammed Ali. Many tried to imitate his style, but only he had the tools to make it work. I've come to think that only his mind knows why he does some of his things. Its why some of his underlings failed on other teams I think. Pioli in KC tried to emulate him..but he wasn't Belichick. Same with McDaniels when he was in Denver.

IDK..I'm willing to try something different..what we've been doing isn't working.

As far as the snarkiness goes...eh...its all good. Mace won't talk to me any more because he knows the mention of the words cornerback and safety make my BP rise 10 points.

ha ha you really can look at the Bills incompetence from a host of angles, not sure we really disagree much. With so much failure to choose from we all have our BP flashpoints I guess