X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • class_of_2012
    • Mar 2017

Buffalo Claims Safety Trae Elston from Cleveland off Waivers

Yes, this means we are headed to the Super Bowl!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/trae-elston?id=2556203

College: Mississippi
    Draft Grade: 4.99
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 195 lb.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Four-year starter in high-end conference. Known for physical hitting as tackler. Will explode into and through ball catchers attempting to jar ball lose. Leaper who challenges the catch aggressively at the high point. Comes to balance as tackler. Soft hands to finish with interceptions. Returned two interceptions for touchdowns in 2015.

WEAKNESSES Stiff-hipped and looks labored in operational movement when coming out of his pedal. Recognition in coverage can be a step late. Doesn't consistently get jumps necessary to range from centerfield to challenge sideline throws. Lackadaisical pursuit. Gets caught behind downfield blockers rather than showing urgency to race ahead. Must do better job of squeezing routes. Lacking size/speed combination.

DRAFT PROJECTION Undrafted free agent

BOTTOM LINE Elston will flash with a big hit or a high-point pass breakup, but the consistency of effort isn't where it needs to be. Elston will blow up a receiver on one play and then attempt to avoid contact with a blocker 20 yards down the field on the next rather than enforcing his will on all plays. Elston's size, speed and instincts won’t jump off the screen at teams, but his production in 2015 will certainly get him noticed.

-Lance Zierlein
    Last edited by class_of_2012; 04-21-2017, 04:55 PM.
  • SpikedLemonade
    • May 2024

Re: Buffalo Claims Safety Trae Elston from Cleveland off Waivers

How low we have gotten.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Poyer was in Cleveland also, wasn't he?
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Swiper
        • Sep 2010

Camp fodder. Picking clean the back-up defenders from the worst team in the league.

Comment

• sudzy
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
          How low we have gotten.
          When is Johnny Football coming?

Comment

• jimmifli
            • Nov 2006

Doug Whaley finds lots of guys like this and then lowballs their RFA tender when they turnout good. Maybe Whaley's found another one and the Pats get lucky again.

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

Fodder
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• TigerJ
                • Jul 2002

I agree, in all likelihood he's camp fodder, but Buffalo needs to sign quite a few players to get up to a 90 man training camp roster. At this point in free agency, you're going to be looking at has beens and fringe players you can pay a little bit of nothing in hopes that a couple will surprise you on the upside. You look for some guys who have some qualities you like and you try to coach up their deficiencies as best you can. Once in a while you find a gem. Elston is a bit on the small side, but his speed is OK, he plays aggressively and tackles hard - qualities McDermott is looking for.
                I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                  Unreachable Douche
                  • Jul 2002

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Comment

• Mace
                    Haha...yeah you think so ?
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                    Poyer was in Cleveland also, wasn't he?
                    Yeah. We scavenge Cleveland, Pats scavenge us.

Clever really. In the long term we're tricking them into Cleveland players, THAT'S when we make our move !

Comment

• streetkings01
                      • Jul 2006

I remember listening to Pat Kirwin on Moving The Chains earlier this week and something like the Browns are the most poached roster of any other team over the last decade.

Their players don't work out on their roster but they seem to work out pretty good once they leave.
                      You can call me streetkings

Comment

• Jry44
                        • Apr 2013

You have to take 90 to camp. Don't read anything at all into this other than he's a camp body.

You're not picking starters up off waivers at this stage, nor is any team expecting that.

Comment

• Cali512
                          • Jan 2012

It's really annoying that we don't just sign 90 all pros. I mean does anyone watch the top 100 players? It's embarrassing with 100 top players we can't get at least 90 of them.
                          Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                            • May 2024

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
                            It's really annoying that we don't just sign 90 all pros. I mean does anyone watch the top 100 players? It's embarrassing with 100 top players we can't get at least 90 of them.
                            W-O-W!!!

There must be a load of baby crap you can clean up rather serving us that one.

Comment

• Cali512
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                              W-O-W!!!

There must be a load of baby crap you can clean up rather serving us that one.

I can at least clean up the baby crap, your baby crap is sadly here forever.
                              Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

Working...
                              X