PDA

View Full Version : Matching Gillislee's deal with NE?

TigerJ
04-24-2017, 11:54 AM
Anyone know what time the deadline is?

Dr. Lecter
04-24-2017, 11:56 AM
4 PM today.

swiper
04-24-2017, 11:58 AM
Yep. We'll know in 3 hours. While I like him quite a bit, it seems to make more sense to walk as, as others have pointed out, filling that hole is one of the easier tasks on any roster these days. I don't have strong feelings one way or another, but sure will be watching at 4 o'clock.

Bills Today: ESPN’s Reiss comments on fate of Gillislee (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-Today-ESPN%E2%80%99s-Reiss-comments-on-fate-of-Gillislee/dca25948-39ed-47f2-a4e2-cc6c1ebecb04)

Jry44
04-24-2017, 12:37 PM
New England is uncharacteristically spending big this off season. You have to wonder if this might really be Bradys last go around, despite what he says about wanting to play another 6 years (he won't, Father Time is not on his side).

As for Gillislee, let them pay that salary. It's puzzling to me really considering what NE just paid James White.

sukie
04-24-2017, 01:33 PM
I say "Goodbye"... Why pay 6m + for a spot player?

Mahdi
04-24-2017, 01:37 PM
They know Buffalo is a zone scheme and that Gillislee is a perfect fit. On top of that we have tight cap and he would cost us next to nothing for this season so they're putting us in a tough spot because they can. They have cap space they don't need.

It would be tough to match the offer for this season because they put 4 mil in the first season but next season he would be pretty cheap.

If we don't match they get a good RB at 3 mil per season who is pretty young. He gets first downs and giving Brady a new set of downs is problematic for others.

swiper
04-24-2017, 02:13 PM
I say "Goodbye"... Why pay 6m + for a spot player?

Well as McCoy is prone to do, he could miss time with injury. Gillislee was someone reliable that could step in and produce. The cost of piece-of-mind just has been driven up by the Patriots. I'm sure the Bills feel they haven't seen enough out of Williams yet to declare that he's as capable a fill-in.

OpIv37
04-24-2017, 02:23 PM
They know Buffalo is a zone scheme and that Gillislee is a perfect fit. On top of that we have tight cap and he would cost us next to nothing for this season so they're putting us in a tough spot because they can. They have cap space they don't need.

It would be tough to match the offer for this season because they put 4 mil in the first season but next season he would be pretty cheap.

If we don't match they get a good RB at 3 mil per season who is pretty young. He gets first downs and giving Brady a new set of downs is problematic for others.

So, we're a sub-.500 team that can't make the playoffs and is tight on cap space. They just won the SB and have the cap space to poach talent away, even if it means overpaying a back-up. So, once again, the talent gap between us and our strongest div rival changes in the wrong direction. Even if the Bills pay up, that's less cap for our plethora of other holes- they forced us to maintain the status quo rather than using the cap room to improve.

Remind me again why Whaley and Overdorf still have jobs?

jimmifli
04-24-2017, 02:37 PM

If we had competent people in those roles, Russ would have no one left to blame.

WagonCircler
04-24-2017, 02:37 PM
So, we're a sub-.500 team that can't make the playoffs and is tight on cap space. They just won the SB and have the cap space to poach talent away, even if it means overpaying a back-up. So, once again, the talent gap between us and our strongest div rival changes in the wrong direction. Even if the Bills pay up, that's less cap for our plethora of other holes- they forced us to maintain the status quo rather than using the cap room to improve.

That's what I was thinking all morning, listening to the talking heads on the radio blathering about how unwise it would be to pay Gillislee $4MIL. Well, let's see...apparently the team that has won roughly half of all the Super Bowls over the last decade thinks it's wise.

But no, the Bills, who have won nothing and who are set up to win nothing, have mismanaged their cap and their personnel to the point where the choice is basically out of their hands.

And yet, last year, Whaley got renewed.

Boggles the mind.

YardRat
04-24-2017, 02:46 PM
Going right down to the wire, huh?

Joe Fo Sho
04-24-2017, 02:52 PM
Going right down to the wire, huh?

We didn't match.

Bill Cody
04-24-2017, 04:31 PM
That's what I was thinking all morning, listening to the talking heads on the radio blathering about how unwise it would be to pay Gillislee $4MIL. Well, let's see...apparently the team that has won roughly half of all the Super Bowls over the last decade thinks it's wise.

But no, the Bills, who have won nothing and who are set up to win nothing, have mismanaged their cap and their personnel to the point where the choice is basically out of their hands.

And yet, last year, Whaley got renewed.

Boggles the mind.

It really does. HTF can we be near the cap and they're not when they have Tom F'N Brady under center and we have F'N Tierod? It makes you want to scream.

Bill Cody
04-24-2017, 04:33 PM
We didn't match.

Course we didn't. We snoockered those dumb ass Patriots yet again

jimmifli
04-24-2017, 06:46 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/9cOZOlPtfLoze/giphy.gif

Skooby
04-24-2017, 08:46 PM
Buffalo will receive a fifth-round draft pick from New England as compensation.