Report: Bills to clean house after draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeMama
    Emotion Sickness
    • Oct 2002

Report: Bills to clean house after draft?

Bills scouts bracing for a post-draft house cleaning

Although plenty of teams react to a bad season by dumping front-office employees in January, the more sensible approach is to wait until after the draft. That’s when the bulk of the work has ended, and it also prevents the scout from taking to a new team the fruits of the labor performed on the prior employer’s nickel.

In Buffalo, there’s a belief that the Bills will be making extensive moves in the front office when the draft concludes. Per a league source, the team’s scouts are bracing for job changes after the draft. As one scout explained it, “We are all getting fired next week.”

In response to that claim, the Bills provided to PFT the following statement: “Right now, our focus is on the preparation for this week’s draft. Like every year, evaluations of our player personnel staff take place following the draft. And this year will be no different.”

The Bills fired coach Rex Ryan late in the regular season, replacing him with Sean McDermott. Various reports and rumors have indicated that G.M. Doug Whaley could be on the way out.

Although plenty of teams react to a bad season by dumping front-office employees in January, the more sensible approach is to wait until after the draft.
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Report: Bills to clean house after draft?

Again the timing of this makes little sense. If you were going to dump Whaley it should of been done after the season, not after the draft.

Now you bring in a draft class and then a new GM that may not even like the players we just drafted?
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
      Making Spirits Bright
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
      Again the timing of this makes little sense. If you were going to dump Whaley it should of been done after the season, not after the draft.

Now you bring in a draft class and then a new GM that may not even like the players we just drafted?
      It sounds exactly like something the Bills would do.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
        Skoobasaurus-Rex
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post

Bass ackward is the norm in Pegulaville. I'm telling you guys the current fans that own the team are getting bored playing with their toys, they need to build a stadium to lock them down in town. Real estate investments unrelated to the Bills is meaningless in the grand scheme.

Comment

• feldspar
          • Mar 2007

IMO, the GM should be instrumental in hiring the coach...not inherit him.

McDermott seems like a solid prospect, though.

We'll see what happens and talk about it then.

Comment

• k-oneputt
            • Jun 2009

Whaley is already done. He was done when McD. got hired and took the power.
            The so called gm isn't allowed to talk to the media or attend team functions. They will all be gone by Monday at the latest.

Comment

• Buddo
              • Mar 2007

I don't think they are that bad, tbh. I also think that overall, the personnel depts have done a pretty good job. There's always something to complain about, but that's life. Success glosses over failures, but magnifies them if you aren't (successful).

I'm not too keen on the way this seems to be heading, if this proves to be correct, as there are obviously some good people (and good at their jobs), whose talents could well be wasted.

So far, I've not had a problem with McDermotts approach, but if he thinks he's the next Belichick, he needs to think again, as even Belichick had to earn the extent of power he's been given. McDermott hasn't even proved himself as a HC yet.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Buddo View Post
                I don't think they are that bad, tbh. I also think that overall, the personnel depts have done a pretty good job. There's always something to complain about, but that's life. Success glosses over failures, but magnifies them if you aren't (successful).

I'm not too keen on the way this seems to be heading, if this proves to be correct, as there are obviously some good people (and good at their jobs), whose talents could well be wasted.

So far, I've not had a problem with McDermotts approach, but if he thinks he's the next Belichick, he needs to think again, as even Belichick had to earn the extent of power he's been given. McDermott hasn't even proved himself as a HC yet.
                Does good at their jobs translate to wins or playoffs ?? Since the answer is basically F-no, lay off the drugs.

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

If I'm a scout who's about to get fired, how much effort do you think I'm putting in?

Comment

• jimmifli
                    • Nov 2006

The problem with doing the GM search at the end of the season is that it puts the new GM in a ****ty spot. It's hard finding a coach, but it's harder when you are late to the party. Even worse would be replacing the scouting team or redoing the board with a couple months notice. I like this timeline better.

They made a good pick at coach. Now bounce the GM, Overdorf, and the king dip****. The new GM can focus on building the front office, pro personnel and scouting team instead of a coaching staff. If McD ****s the bed, the new GM isn't tainted and we get a new coach in 3 years. I get that it saddles the GM with a coach they didn't pick, but all things considered I hate this timeline less than the alternative.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Right now I already worry that McD might be the next McDaniels who wasnt ready to be a headdcoach. All the power that Pegulas are gicing him , I McD doesnt turn out to be another Chip Kelly .
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• k-oneputt
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                        If I'm a scout who's about to get fired, how much effort do you think I'm putting in?
                        Who cares. They've all sucked for the last 20 yrs.

I'm sure McD. can walk in there and draft just fine. And don't buy that bs that McD. and Whaley together will come to an agreement on picks, McD. is calling the shots. It's not the old days, all the info is out there.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                          • Jun 2009

McD. is picking the gm he wants to work with.

Comment

• Cali512
                            • Jan 2012

It seems like McDermott has all the power so it wouldn't surprise me. It's not a bills thing to do, its more of a we have our faith in one guy, he hasn't made a decision on who he wants yet and tomorrows the draft so they will live another day type thing
                            Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Cali512
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                              Right now I already worry that McD might be the next McDaniels who wasnt ready to be a headdcoach. All the power that Pegulas are gicing him , I McD doesnt turn out to be another Chip Kelly .

Chip Kelly had a history of prejudice and an extremely awkward personality. He made Belichick look like a social butterfly

Kelly acted like a contestant of the biggest loser during a temptation challenge
                              Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

Working...
                              X