PDA

View Full Version : Report: Bills to clean house after draft?

JoeMama
04-26-2017, 03:04 PM
Bills scouts bracing for a post-draft house cleaning

Although plenty of teams react to a bad season by dumping front-office employees in January, the more sensible approach is to wait until after the draft. That’s when the bulk of the work has ended, and it also prevents the scout from taking to a new team the fruits of the labor performed on the prior employer’s nickel.

In Buffalo, there’s a belief that the Bills will be making extensive moves in the front office when the draft concludes. Per a league source, the team’s scouts are bracing for job changes after the draft. As one scout explained it, “We are all getting fired next week.”

In response to that claim, the Bills provided to PFT the following statement: “Right now, our focus is on the preparation for this week’s draft. Like every year, evaluations of our player personnel staff take place following the draft. And this year will be no different.”

The Bills fired coach Rex Ryan late in the regular season, replacing him with Sean McDermott. Various reports and rumors have indicated that G.M. Doug Whaley could be on the way out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/26/bills-scouts-bracing-for-a-post-draft-house-cleaning/

DraftBoy
04-26-2017, 03:08 PM
Again the timing of this makes little sense. If you were going to dump Whaley it should of been done after the season, not after the draft.

Now you bring in a draft class and then a new GM that may not even like the players we just drafted?

Joe Fo Sho
04-26-2017, 03:17 PM
Again the timing of this makes little sense. If you were going to dump Whaley it should of been done after the season, not after the draft.

Now you bring in a draft class and then a new GM that may not even like the players we just drafted?

It sounds exactly like something the Bills would do.

Skooby
04-26-2017, 03:18 PM

Bass ackward is the norm in Pegulaville. I'm telling you guys the current fans that own the team are getting bored playing with their toys, they need to build a stadium to lock them down in town. Real estate investments unrelated to the Bills is meaningless in the grand scheme.

feldspar
04-26-2017, 03:19 PM
IMO, the GM should be instrumental in hiring the coach...not inherit him.

McDermott seems like a solid prospect, though.

We'll see what happens and talk about it then.

k-oneputt
04-26-2017, 03:22 PM
Whaley is already done. He was done when McD. got hired and took the power.
The so called gm isn't allowed to talk to the media or attend team functions. They will all be gone by Monday at the latest.

Buddo
04-26-2017, 03:22 PM
I don't think they are that bad, tbh. I also think that overall, the personnel depts have done a pretty good job. There's always something to complain about, but that's life. Success glosses over failures, but magnifies them if you aren't (successful).

I'm not too keen on the way this seems to be heading, if this proves to be correct, as there are obviously some good people (and good at their jobs), whose talents could well be wasted.

So far, I've not had a problem with McDermotts approach, but if he thinks he's the next Belichick, he needs to think again, as even Belichick had to earn the extent of power he's been given. McDermott hasn't even proved himself as a HC yet.

Skooby
04-26-2017, 03:29 PM
I don't think they are that bad, tbh. I also think that overall, the personnel depts have done a pretty good job. There's always something to complain about, but that's life. Success glosses over failures, but magnifies them if you aren't (successful).

I'm not too keen on the way this seems to be heading, if this proves to be correct, as there are obviously some good people (and good at their jobs), whose talents could well be wasted.

So far, I've not had a problem with McDermotts approach, but if he thinks he's the next Belichick, he needs to think again, as even Belichick had to earn the extent of power he's been given. McDermott hasn't even proved himself as a HC yet.

Does good at their jobs translate to wins or playoffs ?? Since the answer is basically F-no, lay off the drugs.

jamze132
04-26-2017, 03:37 PM
If I'm a scout who's about to get fired, how much effort do you think I'm putting in?

jimmifli
04-26-2017, 03:41 PM
The problem with doing the GM search at the end of the season is that it puts the new GM in a ****ty spot. It's hard finding a coach, but it's harder when you are late to the party. Even worse would be replacing the scouting team or redoing the board with a couple months notice. I like this timeline better.

They made a good pick at coach. Now bounce the GM, Overdorf, and the king dip****. The new GM can focus on building the front office, pro personnel and scouting team instead of a coaching staff. If McD ****s the bed, the new GM isn't tainted and we get a new coach in 3 years. I get that it saddles the GM with a coach they didn't pick, but all things considered I hate this timeline less than the alternative.

justasportsfan
04-26-2017, 03:42 PM
Right now I already worry that McD might be the next McDaniels who wasnt ready to be a headdcoach. All the power that Pegulas are gicing him , I McD doesnt turn out to be another Chip Kelly .

k-oneputt
04-26-2017, 03:43 PM
If I'm a scout who's about to get fired, how much effort do you think I'm putting in?

Who cares. They've all sucked for the last 20 yrs.

I'm sure McD. can walk in there and draft just fine. And don't buy that bs that McD. and Whaley together will come to an agreement on picks, McD. is calling the shots. It's not the old days, all the info is out there.

k-oneputt
04-26-2017, 03:45 PM
McD. is picking the gm he wants to work with.

Cali512
04-26-2017, 03:53 PM
It seems like McDermott has all the power so it wouldn't surprise me. It's not a bills thing to do, its more of a we have our faith in one guy, he hasn't made a decision on who he wants yet and tomorrows the draft so they will live another day type thing

Cali512
04-26-2017, 03:55 PM
Right now I already worry that McD might be the next McDaniels who wasnt ready to be a headdcoach. All the power that Pegulas are gicing him , I McD doesnt turn out to be another Chip Kelly .

Chip Kelly had a history of prejudice and an extremely awkward personality. He made Belichick look like a social butterfly

Kelly acted like a contestant of the biggest loser during a temptation challenge

feldspar
04-26-2017, 03:56 PM

You'd better put a lot in if you want some other team to hire you later...

TacklingDummy
04-26-2017, 03:58 PM
Too bad Whaley couldn't luck into a Jim Kelly or Peyton Manning to make him look smart.

The King
04-26-2017, 04:02 PM
Sounds to me like a big difference in opinion and philosophy between the head coach and Scouting Dept. But based on our draft history I am totally fine with this.

Cali512
04-26-2017, 04:03 PM
Too bad Whaley couldn't luck into a Jim Kelly or Peyton Manning to make him look smart.

.... He had his chances at Carr and Dak

Dak would of required no effort, just get him in the 2nd. We already knew EJ was a bust
Carr was taken when we knew EJ was a bust, we could've grabbed him.

It's not like JP vs ARod when we already invested a bunch in JP so Arod was not a consideration that year

Bill Cody
04-26-2017, 04:19 PM
I wish it was before the draft. Not joking. I would be fine with McDermott thumbing through a $10 draft guide and making the picks than letting Whaley maybe take a Watson on the way out the door. There's plenty of good public info available on the draft. The funny part is the Bills have paid scouts and GM's millions over the years to do no better than a drunk chimp throwing darts at a draft book.

YardRat
04-26-2017, 04:26 PM
Should be a pretty empty war room then, if that is the case.

DesertFox24
04-26-2017, 04:33 PM
We are all assuming Whaley is getting canned, it could just be some of the scouts or other front office people.

SpikedLemonade
04-26-2017, 04:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-26-2017, 04:51 PM
Eh. As long as Russ Brandon is still behind the scenes nothing will really change.

DesertFox24
04-26-2017, 05:03 PM
Eh. As long as Russ Brandon is still behind the scenes nothing will really change.

Without Russ we may not have a team. For all the bad he may or may not have done I think that should trump it.

EDS
04-26-2017, 05:33 PM
The problem with doing the GM search at the end of the season is that it puts the new GM in a ****ty spot. It's hard finding a coach, but it's harder when you are late to the party. Even worse would be replacing the scouting team or redoing the board with a couple months notice. I like this timeline better.

They made a good pick at coach. Now bounce the GM, Overdorf, and the king dip****. The new GM can focus on building the front office, pro personnel and scouting team instead of a coaching staff. If McD ****s the bed, the new GM isn't tainted and we get a new coach in 3 years. I get that it saddles the GM with a coach they didn't pick, but all things considered I hate this timeline less than the alternative.

You are thinking of this wrong. You need to hire a GM when GM candidates are available after the season, not now when all the good candidates are under contract.

Mace
04-26-2017, 05:39 PM

Dak would of required no effort, just get him in the 2nd. We already knew EJ was a bust

It's not like JP vs ARod when we already invested a bunch in JP so Arod was not a consideration that year

You're figuring Carr and Prescott produce the same results on the Bills. No way.

All in all, I'm apathetic. Nothing I can do about it, but watch and wince.

Mouldsie
04-26-2017, 07:32 PM
If this smoke is a fire then Sean McDermott is running the draft.

The scouts are on a try-out period with him. This is Whaley's last stand.

Like Kyle Shannahan and Bill Belichick, the next top personnel man will work for/be chosen by Sean.

Cali512
04-26-2017, 07:34 PM
You're figuring Carr and Prescott produce the same results on the Bills. No way.

All in all, I'm apathetic. Nothing I can do about it, but watch and wince.

Carr most definitely, Dak is more of a game manager though.

Night Train
04-26-2017, 07:36 PM
Called it in multiple recent posts. I heard a scout told someone I know at OBD they were done after the draft.

Post draft IS the time to do it.

Night Train
04-26-2017, 07:38 PM

The reports are in and the board is set ??? Their only effort over the next few days is flushing the toilet.

WagonCircler
04-26-2017, 07:40 PM
We are all assuming Whaley is getting canned, it could just be some of the scouts or other front office people.

Whaley hired most of the scouting department. How do you gut the department and keep him?

- - - Updated - - -

Called it in multiple recent posts. I heard a scout told someone I know at OBD they were done after the draft.

Post draft IS the time to do it.

Including Whaley?

TigerJ
04-26-2017, 07:43 PM
I have a feeling that McDermott enjoys a great deal of trust from the Pegulas. That translates into power. If there is change at the GM position, McDermott s probably going to have considerable influence in the hiring of the new one. He's also going to have considerable influence in the Bills' war room over the next three days. The draftees are going to be McDermott guys regardless of the fact the scouting was done by the old regime, and the new GM will be so informed. I will be surprised if the entire scouting staff is canned, however.

Mace
04-26-2017, 07:46 PM
Carr most definitely, Dak is more of a game manager though.

Not really. They don't have an offense for a pocket passer. This isn't because they don't have a pocket passer, it's because they purposely decided to build an offense around a running game with a running QB to skimp on passing. Oakland built an offense meaning to have a Carr to run it, pass oriented.

Dallas, had the coaching flexibility to adjust their Romo offense to suit Prescott, big diff between immobile veteran Romo and mobile rookie Prescott, and it wasn't intended, it was because Romo was hurt. Superior adaptability.

The Bills don't adapt, and they don't have a passing oriented offense.

People always forget that's by design.

Night Train
04-26-2017, 07:47 PM
Gotta laugh...this board has been crying for change going on several years and now that it may be happening, we whine about timing ? LOL

I get McDermott is unproven as a HC but he's been around the NFL a long time and is very well connected. I'll take my chances over the proven losers we've paid for years.

WagonCircler
04-26-2017, 07:49 PM
Gotta laugh...this board has been crying for change going on several years and now that it may be happening, we whine about timing ? LOL

I get McDermott is unproven as a HC but he's been around the NFL a long time and is very well connected. I'll take my chances over the proven losers we've paid for years.

I'm not sure if they're whining or just desperately trying to believe that it's going to happen. I'm praying it does.

Mouldsie
04-26-2017, 08:17 PM
I'm not sure if they're whining or just desperately trying to believe that it's going to happen. I'm praying it does.

I'm hopeful this is what will happen. I like SD.

I am also hopeful that Brandon is being kept far far away.

GreedoII
04-26-2017, 08:21 PM
Mc D is running this draft. Not Whaley....so it won't matter

Novacane
04-26-2017, 08:21 PM

Surely you can't be serious!

Ingtar33
04-26-2017, 08:27 PM

If I was there, I'd probably be stepping up to fight for "my" draft a lot more aggressively then probably is reasonable. Everyone getting fired sounds like an opportunity to become the next GM, worse case you might get a good recommendation out of it from someone up top who notices you for a change.

Of course I was always a bit of an optimist. Anyone who whines to the press about how everyone is getting fired soon is not someone I want in my front office anyway.

Novacane
04-26-2017, 08:31 PM

Who cares. With way our drafts have gone it would probably be better if they weren't trying!

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-26-2017, 08:32 PM
Who cares. With way our drafts have gone it would probably be better if they weren't trying!
OP is right when he says that if we as a board collectively made the picks over the last 10, 15 years, the team would be better off than the idiots that are paid to do this ****.

Novacane
04-26-2017, 08:36 PM

I get your point TD but spending two firsts on a WR when you don't have that QB means you don't deserve to luck into a franchise QB.

TacklingDummy
04-26-2017, 08:56 PM
I get your point TD but spending two firsts on a WR when you don't have that QB means you don't deserve to luck into a franchise QB.

Or paying $108 million to a defensive tackle.

The Jokeman
04-26-2017, 09:13 PM

And does anyone know who Dak if he ends up backing up Tyrod last year? I mean yeah Dak was solid in the preseason but no guarantee he sees the field in front of a healthy Tyrod.

Cali512
04-26-2017, 10:57 PM
And does anyone know who Dak if he ends up backing up Tyrod last year? I mean yeah Dak was solid in the preseason but no guarantee he sees the field in front of a healthy Tyrod.

This argument can be used in any situation ever where there is a viable starter. There have been hundreds of QBs who could of possibly been good but were stuck in bad situations. Like I said, even with this Dak is a game manager, but you can't act like Whaley didn't pass on any good QBs during his tenure

Cali512
04-26-2017, 11:00 PM
Not really. They don't have an offense for a pocket passer. This isn't because they don't have a pocket passer, it's because they purposely decided to build an offense around a running game with a running QB to skimp on passing. Oakland built an offense meaning to have a Carr to run it, pass oriented.

Dallas, had the coaching flexibility to adjust their Romo offense to suit Prescott, big diff between immobile veteran Romo and mobile rookie Prescott, and it wasn't intended, it was because Romo was hurt. Superior adaptability.

The Bills don't adapt, and they don't have a passing oriented offense.

People always forget that's by design.

We didn't run the same offense with Ej as we did with Tyrod. We did adapt to the QB, and I bet we would of with a pocket QB

jamze132
04-27-2017, 07:54 AM
You'd better put a lot in if you want some other team to hire you later...

It's not that simple. These guys have resumes and their names get around the league. Guarantee half our scouts already have teams just waiting to scoop them up...regardless of how much "effort" they put into a dead end job.

jamze132
04-27-2017, 07:56 AM
The reports are in and the board is set ??? Their only effort over the next few days is flushing the toilet.

Surely they wouldn't hold information or give false information to their current employer who is about to give them the big weenie...

it's bad business when an employee knows they're getting **** canned after a major event.

psubills62
04-27-2017, 08:23 AM
I like Whaley better than most seem to on this board. I strongly disagree with a lot of his QB evaluations, but other than that, I think he's done a solid job of bringing talent into this team and keeping quite a bit of it.

That said, there seemed to be a lot of friction between Whaley and Ryan regarding players. It kind of confuses me that coaches have so little control over who they get on the roster. In CFB, the coaches have total control over the team. I don't see the point in having a coach take on players he doesn't even want. That's not a recipe for success. If they need to bring in a GM whose vision is similar to the head coach's vision, so be it. McDermott could end up with a lot of control, but in the end, I'm somewhat OK with that. Means he has no excuse and he'll sink or swim on his own merits.

Albany,n.y.
04-27-2017, 08:32 AM
Would you trust a chef who is about to be fired & knows it to cook you his last meal? Or in the words of Bill Parcells, I don't want Whaley or his scouts picking the groceries the next few days. McDermott better be ruling this draft with an iron fist. To this day people still accuse Butler of tanking his last draft, Whaley shouldn't be given the opportunity to leave that type of legacy.

TacklingDummy
04-27-2017, 08:44 AM

Whaley has been GM for the past 3 drafts, there's been 36 QBs drafted since then, who should the Bills had drafted?

In allfairness though, Whaley took over for Nix who just selected EJ. Besides Prescott I'm not sure I wasn't any of those other QBs.

1 1 Jared Goff QB California Los Angeles Rams
1 2 Carson Wentz QB North Dakota State Philadelphia Eagles
1 26 Paxton Lynch QB Memphis Denver Broncos
2 51 Christian Hackenberg QB Penn State New York Jets
3 91 Jacoby Brissett QB North Carolina State New England Patriots
3 93 Cody Kessler QB USC Cleveland Browns
4 100 Connor Cook QB Michigan State Oakland Raiders
4 135 Dak Prescott QB Mississippi State Dallas Cowboys
4 139 Cardale Jones QB Ohio State Buffalo Bills
5 162 Kevin Hogan QB Stanford Kansas City Chiefs
6 187 Nate Sudfeld QB Indiana Washington Redskins
6 191 Jake Rudock QB Michigan Detroit Lions
6 201 Brandon Allen QB Arkansas Jacksonville Jaguars
6 207 Jeff Driskel QB Louisiana Tech San Francisco 49ers
7 223 Brandon Doughty QB Western Kentucky Miami Dolphins

1 1 Jameis Winston QB Florida State Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 2 Marcus Mariota QB Oregon Tennessee Titans
3 75 Garrett Grayson QB Colorado State New Orleans Saints
3 89 Sean Mannion QB Oregon State St. Louis Rams
4 103 Bryce Petty QB Baylor New York Jets
5 147 Brett Hundley QB UCLA Green Bay Packers
7 250 Trevor Siemian QB. Northwestern Denver

1 3 Blake Bortles QB Central Florida Jacksonville Jaguars
1 22 Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M Cleveland Browns
1 32 Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville Minnesota Vikings
2 36 Derek Carr QB Fresno State Oakland Raiders
2 62 Jimmy Garoppolo QB Eastern Illinois New England Patriots
4 120 Logan Thomas QB Virginia Tech Arizona Cardinals
4 135 Tom Savage QB Pittsburgh Houston Texans
5 163 Aaron Murray QB Georgia Kansas City Chiefs
5 164 AJ McCarron QB Alabama Cincinnati Bengals
6 178 Zach Mettenberger QB LSU Tennessee Titans
6 183 David Fales QB San Jose State Chicago Bears
6 194 Keith Wenning QB Ball State Baltimore Ravens
6 213 Tajh Boyd QB Clemson New York Jets
6 214 Garrett Gilbert QB Southern Methodist St. Louis Rams

Forward_Lateral
04-27-2017, 09:03 AM
Normally, I'd say WTF to something like this. It's the Bills, however, so it's not surprising.

Not sure why they'd wait until after the draft, but whatever, I hope it's true.

Albany,n.y.
04-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Dak last year & Garoppolo in 2014. Better than Washington & the naked backup.

streetkings01
04-27-2017, 12:48 PM
Bring in Scot McCloughan to run the scouting department.

k-oneputt
04-27-2017, 01:52 PM
Bring in Scot McCloughan to run the scouting department.

Bang ! I was waiting for someone to bring him up. I wanted to bring him in after SFran let him go.
I know he has some drinking issues but who doesn't. He would be perfect with McD. imo.

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-27-2017, 02:28 PM
Bang ! I was waiting for someone to bring him up. I wanted to bring him in after SFran let him go.
I know he has some drinking issues but who doesn't. He would be perfect with McD. imo.

Let it be beat spiked to it cuz I know it's coming 'he's be perfect for chad and Jim Kelly.'

Night Train
04-27-2017, 04:01 PM
I know he has some drinking issues but who doesn't.

:rofl: Working here in lush city would help his situation.