PDA

View Full Version : In the last 20 years has any other team spent more of their top

whkfc
04-27-2017, 10:13 PM
Picks on corners as the Bill's. Seems like every year they use the top pick on a dB. You think maybe that's why we suckered every year?

Novacane
04-27-2017, 10:20 PM
If at first you don't succeed try try try try try try try try try try try try try again

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-28-2017, 06:20 AM
Not many teams have to face tomfugginbrady two times a year. He forces us to draft corners

Skooby
04-28-2017, 06:24 AM
Not many teams have to face tomfugginbrady two times a year. He forces us to draft corners
We only faced her once last season.

Historian
04-28-2017, 06:34 AM
You have to draft to counter the teams in your division.

That's why the Patriots drafted Armstrong, and the fish drafted Webb when we had Bruce steamrolling around the end.

cookie G
04-28-2017, 07:33 AM
You have to draft to counter the teams in your division.

mmhmm..

Its worked so well too.

You'd kinda hope that after 10...15 years...they'd come around to realize that plan isn't working.

But w/e... looking forward to the 20th anniversary gala of the last playoff appearance in a few years.

Historian
04-28-2017, 07:52 AM
I didn't say they made good player choices, only that there was probably a strategy.

TacklingDummy
04-28-2017, 07:56 AM
Picks on corners as the Bill's. Seems like every year they use the top pick on a dB. You think maybe that's why we suckered every year?

The Bills have a patent on secondary training for the rest of NFL.

Joe Fo Sho
04-28-2017, 08:23 AM

You don't beat good quarterbacks with good cornerbacks, you beat them with your pass rush. Good QBs/Offensive systems can easily take a single CB out of their gameplan and take advantage of the other 10 guys on the field. Not to mention there isn't a single CB on the planet that can cover a Edelman/Welker type WR for longer than 5 seconds.

Jry44
04-28-2017, 08:38 AM
You don't beat good quarterbacks with good cornerbacks, you beat them with your pass rush. Good QBs/Offensive systems can easily take a single CB out of their gameplan and take advantage of the other 10 guys on the field. Not to mention there isn't a single CB on the planet that can cover a Edelman/Welker type WR for longer than 5 seconds.

Unless you get in their face and press them (boggles my mind how more teams don't do this). White excels at that.

Joe Fo Sho
04-28-2017, 10:06 AM
Unless you get in their face and press them (boggles my mind how more teams don't do this). White excels at that.

I'd love to see how Edelman performs vs press, vs man, vs off man, vs zone. I can't say for sure, but I really think he's been successful against all of them. It's why he's so hard to stop, especially with Brady throwing him his soft balls.

Jry44
04-28-2017, 10:27 AM
I'd love to see how Edelman performs vs press, vs man, vs off man, vs zone. I can't say for sure, but I really think he's been successful against all of them. It's why he's so hard to stop, especially with Brady throwing him his soft balls.

I made it a point to see how Rex was playing them last year. Edelman comes out of the slot, so I can see how it would be tough to get hands on him. But Rex avoided it and always played off. Maybe he was afraid of getting beat by it? Paying soft and giving Brady time, I feel, is a worse approach than getting in the face of smaller receivers and disrupting their timing. You've got 5 yards to beat those little bastards up, so I say take your chances. If you give up one or two big plays, then so beat it. It beats letting them nickel and dome you down the field every drive.

Thurmal
04-28-2017, 10:37 AM
The Bills are actually great at evaluating CB talent. Problem is, they always let them walk, hence the need to continue spending high picks on them.

Jry44
04-28-2017, 10:39 AM
The Bills are actually great at evaluating CB talent. Problem is, they always let them walk, hence the need to continue spending high picks on them.

Of the three good ones they have let walk, I would argue that two were justified (Clements and Gilmore).
I loved Winfield.

Joe Fo Sho
04-28-2017, 10:42 AM
I made it a point to see how Rex was playing them last year. Edelman comes out of the slot, so I can see how it would be tough to get hands on him. But Rex avoided it and always played off. Maybe he was afraid of getting beat by it? Paying soft and giving Brady time, I feel, is a worse approach than getting in the face of smaller receivers and disrupting their timing. You've got 5 yards to beat those little bastards up, so I say take your chances. If you give up one or two big plays, then so beat it. It beats letting them nickel and dome you down the field every drive.

Brady's weakness has always been the pass rush, though. It's almost every QB's weakness. Sure, the press might win against Edelman initially, but after 5 seconds of man coverage, he'll be open. If you combine a good pass rush with your CB's taking away the quick stuff, it's very hard to beat. With that style of defense, the majority of CB starters in the NFL will succeed. No need to overpay/overdraft one. If that style of defense were easy to imitate everyone would be doing it, though.

I'm OK with the CB pick, but mostly because we moved down and got an extra 1st rounder. My least favorite positions for our pick at 10 were, in order, RB-->TE-->WR-->CB.

djjimkelly
04-28-2017, 11:09 AM

they do play tom brady twice a year it has to be a priority

Jry44
04-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Brady's weakness has always been the pass rush, though. It's almost every QB's weakness. Sure, the press might win against Edelman initially, but after 5 seconds of man coverage, he'll be open. If you combine a good pass rush with your CB's taking away the quick stuff, it's very hard to beat. With that style of defense, the majority of CB starters in the NFL will succeed. No need to overpay/overdraft one. If that style of defense were easy to imitate everyone would be doing it, though.

I'm OK with the CB pick, but mostly because we moved down and got an extra 1st rounder. My least favorite positions for our pick at 10 were, in order, RB-->TE-->WR-->CB.

I get it; CB isn't a sexy pick. But it was needed, needed for what McDermott likes to do, and was a safe pick to make in order to acquire more picks.

whkfc
04-28-2017, 12:14 PM
they do play tom brady twice a year it has to be a priority

This has been going on since before Brady. We haven't been able to beat him for the lady 15 years with top flight CBs is it really gonna change now?

swiper
04-28-2017, 12:17 PM
What they need is a pass rusher that can put out Brady's lights.