PDA

View Full Version : SI Grades On Round 1 - Bills Get an A

Night Train
04-28-2017, 06:10 AM
https://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/teams/football/nfl/logos/bills_150.png
TRE'DAVIOUS WHITE, CB, LSU (VIA KANSAS CITY)

GRADE: A
A long wait for the Bills after trading away pick No. 10, but it would have been hard to screw this up too badly at No. 27, with Buffalo now holding Kansas City’s picks at 91 and in the first round next year. And this definitely is not a miss. White may not wholly replace the departed Stephon Gilmore, but without question he should help the Bills navigate past that difficult free-agent loss. White’s a rangy corner who can match up with receivers both outside and in the slot—a nice piece for new coach Sean McDermott.

Night Train
04-28-2017, 06:11 AM
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/04/27/nfl-draft-2017-first-round-grades

Skooby
04-28-2017, 06:11 AM
https://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/teams/football/nfl/logos/bills_150.png
TRE'DAVIOUS WHITE, CB, LSU (VIA KANSAS CITY)

GRADE: A
A long wait for the Bills after trading away pick No. 10, but it would have been hard to screw this up too badly at No. 27, with Buffalo now holding Kansas City’s picks at 91 and in the first round next year. And this definitely is not a miss. White may not wholly replace the departed Stephon Gilmore, but without question he should help the Bills navigate past that difficult free-agent loss. White’s a rangy corner who can match up with receivers both outside and in the slot—a nice piece for new coach Sean McDermott.

Of course I'll have the whole glass filled with koolaid, top it off please.

DraftBoy
04-28-2017, 06:12 AM
Of course I'll have the whole glass filled with koolaid, top it off please.

Don't get pissy just because none of your 100+ claims of inside info or predictions came through.

Historian
04-28-2017, 06:14 AM
Yea Skoob, knock it off.

Night Train
04-28-2017, 06:14 AM
Don't get pissy just because none of your 100+ claims of inside info or predictions came through.

We take him at face value DB.

DraftBoy
04-28-2017, 06:16 AM
I wasn't as high on White as I was a couple of other corners, but at 27 he's a good pick.

Per multiple people on Twitter the Bills were going to take Humphrey at #10 without the trade down, so moving down 17 spots getting another 3rd and a 1st next year to get a CB who many see as part of that first tier is pretty good. The one thing I don't like is that it feels like the Bills, once again, went into position lock mode where it was take the best player ranked at this position available v. take the best player available, but that's just me speculating.

Skooby
04-28-2017, 06:16 AM
Yea Skoob, knock it off.
Bahhhh, fine.

YardRat
04-28-2017, 06:17 AM
The tone has been set for the new regime. Solid, maybe not spectacular, football skills with high marks on character and work ethic. I can live with that.

Skooby
04-28-2017, 06:17 AM
It was only 99 claims, not 100.

DraftBoy
04-28-2017, 06:25 AM
The tone has been set for the new regime. Solid, maybe not spectacular, football skills with high marks on character and work ethic. I can live with that.

I agree, which means cross Tim Williams off your Round 2 bingo cards.

TacklingDummy
04-28-2017, 06:27 AM
5'11" good size with the midget trainer we have.

SpikedLemonade
04-28-2017, 06:47 AM
A White CB -- How progressive!!!!

Mr. Miyagi
04-28-2017, 08:49 AM
I'm shocked and disappointed that we didn't take Reuben Foster at 27, as he so nicely fell to our lap.

We needed our Luke Kuechly and he's it. And we blew it for a run of the mill corner.

jamze132
04-28-2017, 09:03 AM
I'm shocked and disappointed that we didn't take Reuben Foster at 27, as he so nicely fell to our lap.

We needed our Luke Kuechly and he's it. And we blew it for a run of the mill corner.

McDermot values character over talent...

Jry44
04-28-2017, 09:31 AM

I was originally high on Foster. Did not know until last night that he's only 6'0 229! So he's undersized and already has medical concerns coming in. I just don't know how much you would get out of him, and how he is going to get off of blocks from guards in the NFL that are 100 lbs heavier when he has shoulder issues. So I can understand passing on him.

TigerJ
04-28-2017, 09:35 AM
Rueben Foster has three knocks on him, which is why he fell: character, injury, and a concern that he might be a slow learner. The talent is there, but I can understand passing on him. Since they play different positions it's not really valid to compare the two, but White is squeaky clean across the board: no character issues, he's been an iron man for four years at LSU, and he was valedictorian of his high school graduating class.

Scumbag College
04-28-2017, 09:38 AM
I've been listening to Sirius this morning and there's a lot of calls from fans of teams other than the Bills complaining that their team didn't take Foster. I think the shoulder problems and other concerns warranted the drop.

Oaf
04-28-2017, 11:20 AM

Seems no different to the book on Gilmore coming out.

elroy16
04-28-2017, 12:31 PM
CB is an easy pick to hate because if they play well, you don't hear about them too often. Lattimore at 10 would have driven me crazy (I'm sure I would have come around), but adding a third this year and a first for next year and then getting a solid pick works for me.

Outside of a truly special pass rush, you need corners to cover for a couple of seconds to allow guys to get to the QB. They need a LB (maybe Cunningham in the 2nd) to help cover the middle of the field, but right now it looks like they might have the corners to play solid pass defense.

I was sold on White when I read and saw his ball skills. He might not pick off a bunch of passes, but he gets his head around and breaks up a lot of passes.

swiper
04-28-2017, 12:37 PM
I've been listening to Sirius this morning and there's a lot of calls from fans of teams other than the Bills complaining that their team didn't take Foster. I think the shoulder problems and other concerns warranted the drop.

If every team was passing, the scouts clearly knew something that the fans did not.