• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsFever
    Mr. Predictament
    • Feb 2003

Wilkins hopes to break bad image left in St. Louis

SPARTANBURG, S.C. — Terrence Wilkins averaged nearly 40 receptions a year during his first three seasons in the league with the Indianapolis Colts. Last year, after signing with the St. Louis Rams, he caught just five passes for 31 yards.
    So what happened?

It depends on who you ask.

According to Rams head coach Mike Martz, Wilkins never caught on to the team’s complicated offensive scheme and that’s why he rarely got on the field on game day.

Wilkins, who signed with the Carolina Panthers over the weekend and made his practice debut on Monday, doesn’t buy that.

"I guess Mike Martz had a personal thing with me that I didn’t know about," Wilkins said. "But that is what was said. But I didn’t really get a chance to go out there and show that I knew the offense. I don’t think that was the case. I was in an offense for three years (in Indianapolis) with Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning and I started for two and a half years and that was a complicated deal. I don’t think that was the case. I think that was an excuse, really."
Working...
X