PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Thread Rounds 4-7

TacklingDummy
04-29-2017, 08:46 AM
The Bills have the 19th and 28th picks in the 5th round.

The 11th pick in the 6th round.

Hopefully they can snag Artavis Scott, WR, Clemson in the 5th.

A RB with the pick they got from NE.

And maybe throw Kelly a bone in the 6th.

Novacane
04-29-2017, 08:47 AM
That's sounds good to me. Drafting Kelly would be throwing the fans a bone too.

Scumbag College
04-29-2017, 08:52 AM
That's sounds good to me. Drafting Kelly would be throwing the fans a bone too.

It'll give the talking heads something to talk about for sure. I'd be fine with drafting him in the sixth and IR'ing him.

DraftBoy
04-29-2017, 09:10 AM
Wouldn't mind exploring if anybody on our roster has any value to add a pick or two. No idea who may have that kind of value, but if the offer comes in I'd be interested.

Jry44
04-29-2017, 09:12 AM
Feel like they have to get a WLB at some point too. If not today, then maybe after the June cut?

Scumbag College
04-29-2017, 09:32 AM
Wouldn't mind exploring if anybody on our roster has any value to add a pick or two. No idea who may have that kind of value, but if the offer comes in I'd be interested.

I would think that we could get a pick today for Preston Brown. It seems that the staff thinks that Ragland's knee is good to go and he's on the last year of his contract. A few years of starting experience and he doesn't seem to have a role here other than as a backup...maybe reunite with Schwartz in Philly?

feldspar
04-29-2017, 09:46 AM
The Bills have been trade-happy this draft...every single one of their picks has involved a trade.

I wouldn't discount the possibility that they use a pick or two from next years draft to trade up in these later rounds today...I wouldn't rule that out...

jimmifli
04-29-2017, 09:51 AM
Rookie contracts are the life blood of good cap management. We need to find players that make our roster. The more the better.

feldspar
04-29-2017, 10:11 AM
I think that it's pretty obvious that every one of the Bills picks so far have been strictly based on need. That is why every pick has involved a trade...and we sure NEEDED a CB, WR, and RT.

This is why I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills use a 2018 pick to trade up again (maybe in round 4) if they see a player at a position of need that they covet still on the board.

Seems to be that the Bills are NOT trying to tank this year like some nuts think (or hope). Instead, it looks to me that the Bills think they have enough talent on the team to try to make a run now, and are deliberately trying to fill positions of need to help make that happen.

"Best player available" doesn't seem to be the strategy at all in the early rounds. That could change in rounds 5 and 6, though.

YardRat
04-29-2017, 11:37 AM
I don't want to trade away any more picks to move around for this year's draft, especially next year's picks. I'd be willing to consider moving a player to get another pick or two though.

feldspar
04-29-2017, 11:39 AM
I don't want to trade away any more picks to move around for this year's draft, especially next year's picks. I'd be willing to consider moving a player to get another pick or two though.

I agree...

cookie G
04-29-2017, 11:48 AM

I wouldn't want to use any of next year's picks either.

But I had no problem doing what they did last night.

cookie G
04-29-2017, 11:51 AM
And in case anyone missed it last night...

Drew Pearson killed it when he introduced the Cowboys pick..

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LaO_5VkCp40" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was never a Cowboys fan, but I do respect someone taking his life in his hands in hostile territory.

ParanoidAndroid
04-29-2017, 11:56 AM
Damn. Reeves-Maybin gone.

YardRat
04-29-2017, 12:30 PM
Josh Dobbs goes to Pittsburgh.

feldspar
04-29-2017, 12:34 PM
FIFTEEN Safeties taken in this draft already, and we aren't even out of round 4 yet.

Dunno if we'll get one now...

Ed
04-29-2017, 12:58 PM
5th round is here and still 18 picks to go, but at this point I would love to see the Bills get S Desmond King and TE Bucky Hodges.

cookie G
04-29-2017, 01:08 PM
FIFTEEN Safeties taken in this draft already, and we aren't even out of round 4 yet.

Dunno if we'll get one now...

Desmond King is listed as a CB but many think he'd be better as a safety.

Won the Thorpe award in 2015 as the best DB in the country.

THERE, I SAID IT!!!!

I wouldn't have a problem with them taking a DB here!

cookie G
04-29-2017, 01:16 PM
5th round is here and still 18 picks to go, but at this point I would love to see the Bills get S Desmond King and TE Bucky Hodges.

Chargers just took King

Mad Bomber
04-29-2017, 01:16 PM

THERE, I SAID IT!!!!

Chargers took him

feldspar
04-29-2017, 01:19 PM

THERE, I SAID IT!!!!

I'm just a little upset we missed out on Butt;)

feldspar
04-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Bills coming up if any of you humps are still out there...

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-29-2017, 01:43 PM
a ****ing commercial as soon as it said 'bills pick in'

God this is getting old

YardRat
04-29-2017, 01:44 PM
And the winner is...

GingerP
04-29-2017, 01:45 PM
They took Matt Milano, the undersized LB from BC. Files around the field, but small.

That was the pick they got for Gillislee.

YardRat
04-29-2017, 01:47 PM
LB Matt Milano Boston College

feldspar
04-29-2017, 01:48 PM
Use him on paying downs?

psubills62
04-29-2017, 01:50 PM
Pretty bummed Anthony Walker was taken before our pick. Don't know anything about Milano.

YardRat
lol...NFLN completely skipped over our pick with zero comments

Mad Bomber
They went to commercial and then never even mentioned the Bills pick. They're talking about Mixon. Then more commercials. This sucks

Historian
04-29-2017, 01:51 PM
Never fails....

kgun12
04-29-2017, 01:52 PM
Former safety, special teams standout.

YardRat
Use him on paying downs?

If he even makes the roster it'll be for ST's only. I doubt he sees the field on defense unless the LBers get decimated by injuries.

Ed
I like what I'm reading about Milano. Sounds like the only real knock against him is a lack of size, but that doesn't seem to be that critical for a McDermott WLB.

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-29-2017, 01:53 PM
If he even makes the roster it'll be for ST's only. I doubt he sees the field on defense unless the LBers get decimated by injuries.
in other words, given our propensity for injuries, he'll be on the field by week 3.

YardRat
04-29-2017, 01:53 PM
Maybe Mayock will throw us a bone on the kid from his alma mater.

Ed
04-29-2017, 01:54 PM
From nfl.com regarding Milano:

SOURCES TELL US "I love watching him on tape. You just know he wishes he were bigger so he could hit even harder. He's not as good as (Brian) Cushing, but that's the same kind of mentality he plays with." -- Northeast area scout for AFC team

BOTTOM LINE Undersized for the linebacker spot, but extremely tough and aggressive. A little tight-hipped and might struggle to finish tackles that aren't right in front of him, but he brings as much pound-for-pound force behind his tackles as anyone in the draft. Productive player with good instincts and a nose for the ball. He has value as a 4-3 OLB and a 3-4 WILB, and should become a top contributor in coverage on special teams.

YardRat
04-29-2017, 01:56 PM
Attaboy Mikey :D

Mad Bomber
04-29-2017, 01:56 PM
Mayock liked the pick

YardRat
04-29-2017, 01:57 PM
Another pick coming up after Houston and Minnesota.

Buddo
04-29-2017, 01:57 PM
Seems to happen every year. Just before the ads, they said they were going to Tasker, who was announcing the pick. I find that incredibly disrespectful, that they don't just do that. Btw - I'd feel exactly the same way, if it was any former player for a different team, it's just really piss poor, ignoring the guys who've made the NFL what it is.

Tbh, I've hardly watched any of the draft so far, due to work and time differences, but by the looks of it, as they are quoting Mayock as saying on PFT, I'm pretty glad I haven't, as it's become a circus.

Mad Bomber
04-29-2017, 01:58 PM
Another pick coming up after Houston and Minnesota.
Get ready for another commercial break...

Ed
04-29-2017, 01:58 PM
Three more picks until the Bills select again. My guess is TE Antony Auclair.

Albany,n.y.
04-29-2017, 02:00 PM
He didn't get a write-up in the draft magazine I have-we're doomed!

One of the kids on the radio at WGR was complaining about SF picking Beathard in the 3rd round, saying he was rated too low in the draft book he has. The kid then made a statement indicating he has no clue who Bobby Beathard is.

stuckincincy
04-29-2017, 02:02 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/matt-milano?id=2557969

Strengths

Well-defined with muscular arms and tapered waist. Wonderfully aggressive. Heat-seeking missile who looks for contact. Form tackler looking to strike, lift, and bury. Former safety with disciplined vision and above-average instincts. Can get home as blitzer. Reacts quickly to play-action screen passes and reverses. Good straight-line speed and revved motor for extended tackle range. Has some coverage ability in space. Durable two-year starter playing more than 94 percent of his team's defensive snaps. Accelerates through contact. Speed and toughness creates potential opportunities at multiple linebacker spots. Special teams demon with three blocked punts and 24 coverage tackles.

Weaknesses

Needs to add a little more size to his frame. Can be outmuscled by size. Hand usage is inconsistent. Needs to improve in art of discarding blockers. Just average at punching and shedding to keep himself clean in take-on situations. Bad habit of ducking head into crunching tackles rather than seeing what he hits. Tightly wound with average change-of-direction talent. Can improve his path to perimeter to avoid traffic around him.
Draft Projection Round 6-7
Sources Tell Us "I love watching him on tape. You just know he wishes he were bigger so he could hit even harder. He's not as good as (Brian) Cushing, but that's the same kind of mentality he plays with." -- Northeast area scout for AFC team
NFL Comparison John Timu

Bottom Line

Undersized for the linebacker spot, but extremely tough and aggressive. A little tight-hipped and might struggle to finish tackles that aren't right in front of him, but he brings as much pound-for-pound force behind his tackles as anyone in the draft. Productive player with good instincts and a nose for the ball. He has value as a 4-3 OLB and a 3-4 WILB, and should become a top contributor in coverage on special teams.
-Lance Zierlein

feldspar
04-29-2017, 02:03 PM
You guys are complaining about NFL Network?

I'm watching ESPN live, and for some reason they are just announcing the Bills pick now, WAY after it actually happened.

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-29-2017, 02:05 PM
any chance this kid could go back to safety in the NFL? I don't know anything about him except what I'm reading now.

justasportsfan
04-29-2017, 02:06 PM
You guys are complaining about NFL Network?

I'm watching ESPN live, and for some reason they are just announcing the Bills pick now, WAY after it actually happened.

When you miss the playoffs as long as we have we become a novelty team like a VW Beetle.

ParanoidAndroid
04-29-2017, 02:06 PM
Keith Ellison 2.0

Mad Bomber
04-29-2017, 02:07 PM
True to form...commercial break during Bills pick

ParanoidAndroid
04-29-2017, 02:08 PM
Here comes the next pick.

Luisito23
04-29-2017, 02:08 PM
any chance this kid could go back to safety in the NFL? I don't know anything about him except what I'm reading now.

Not sure, but at least it's a possibility.

ParanoidAndroid
04-29-2017, 02:09 PM
They're not announcing on time anyway. They'll get to it. They just finally covered Milano.

feldspar
When you miss the playoffs as long as we have we become a novelty team like a VW Beetle.

No, man...the whole broadcast itself is way behind.

I've been watching the draft tracker, and the whole broadcast is way behind, again. Dunno why.

Ed
The nfl.com draft tracker has stopped working. Lame.

kscdogbillsfan1221
every ****ing time....... unbelievable. it's almost like they're waiting for our pick to take a commercial. i can't say i blame them but still.

Jry44
It's Nathan Peterman.

ParanoidAndroid
04-29-2017, 02:10 PM
Chad?

Mad Bomber
04-29-2017, 02:11 PM
Interesting pick. Peterman

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-29-2017, 02:11 PM
so you can take Chad Kelly off of possibilities

Ed
04-29-2017, 02:12 PM
I didn't want to see a qb. Not a fan of the pick.

kgun12
I like it

Mad Bomber
Better him than Kelly IMO

ParanoidAndroid
Meh.

Jry44
04-29-2017, 02:14 PM
It's the 5th round fellas..... relax.

stuckincincy
04-29-2017, 02:16 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/nathan-peterman?id=2558191

Peterman:

Strengths

Smooth, quick set-up in pocket. Grips the ball with big, 10-inch hands. Poised in pocket and takes the hit to deliver a completion. Will set-up, slide and then re-set before making his throw. Can cut it loose from off-balance angles from bootleg or play-action if he sees a winning option break open early. Full field reader. Works all the way through his progressions. Shoots glances at safeties to keep them in check. Strong natural accuracy. Able to throw receivers open and lead them away from danger. Can pinpoint passes to moving targets in his intermediate work. Has enough arm to work field side, intermediate throws. Great vision. Sees passing windows before they develop. Throws with outstanding timing and anticipation. Can put the ball on receivers' hands as soon as they come out of a break if coverage dictates it. Utilizes accuracy and anticipation to challenge windows on all three levels. Won at Clemson hanging five touchdown passes on their talented stop unit. Good escapability and can extend drives with his legs. Excellent deep ball accuracy completing 46.2 percent of his deep throws.

Weaknesses

Inconsistent delivery base causes some throws to sail. Has instances where he short strides and is forced to muscle it to his target. Will float some throws on seams and dig routes. Will have to be mindful to drive the ball on pro level to avoid the ballhawks who are lurking at safety. Has to prove he has enough arm to challenge the same tight windows he did in college. Ball handling a little sluggish in wide receiver screens, hitches and most RPOs (run, pass option). Wants to play hero-ball at times. Needs to learn when to air-mail throw and move to next play rather than trying to get too cute with sideline throws. Can improve overall touch.

Draft Projection Round 3-4

Sources Tell Us "I like him. He made me a believer when I watched him against Clemson. I do want to see him throw live and get a feel for how the ball comes out. I never saw him in person and you can't get a feel for that stuff on tape." - NFC Director of Personnel
NFL Comparison Kirk Cousins

Bottom Line

Peterman's experience in a pro-style passing attack gives him a head start headed into the league. His physical attributes are just average, but his accuracy, composure and anticipation are what sets him apart from some of the more physically gifted quarterbacks in this year's draft. Peterman's tape is sure to catch the eye of at least a few teams in need of a quarterback and he should come off the board by day two with a chance to become a solid starting quarterback in the future.
-Lance Zierlein

djjimkelly
peterman has the most upside of any qb on the bills roster officially

the other guys all suck

go peterman by default

id still draft/sign kelly and redshirt him

BuffaloBlitz83
McShay likes him a lot. Said most pro ready of any QB in the draft.

Also said HE BEAT Clemson 5 TDS. Showed Clutch gene.

ParanoidAndroid
04-29-2017, 02:17 PM
I guess I just don't know anything about him.

cookie G
04-29-2017, 02:18 PM
He's a day 1 back up, and I don't mean that in a bad way.

Chad Kelly just went ballistic, I'd imagine.

Ed
04-29-2017, 02:20 PM
If McDermott isn't lying about everything he's said about character, then I don't think Chad Kelly ever had a chance of being a Bill.

Scumbag College
Interesting to see who the odd man out at QB will be if Cardale looks to have improved and Peterman looks good in TC.

TJ Yates is still TJ Yates and we know what we have with him. The Bills signed him for 1 year at 800k so if they cut him it won't kill the cap. If the young guys come in and look good, they might just let Yates walk.

BuffaloBlitz83
He's a day 1 back up, and I don't mean that in a bad way.

Chad Kelly just went ballistic, I'd imagine.

Prob threatened someone with a gun again

YardRat
I'd rather have Kelly, but what the hell I'll root for the kid to succeed.

Ed
04-29-2017, 02:23 PM
Interesting to see who the odd man out at QB will be if Cardale looks to have improved and Peterman looks good in TC.

TJ Yates is still TJ Yates and we know what we have with him. The Bills signed him for 1 year at 800k so if they cut him it won't kill the cap. If the young guys come in and look good, they might just let Yates walk.
I didn't realize Yates got such a minimal deal. I assumed it was at least a couple million with guaranteed money, and that he was basically a lock to be the primary vet backup. I hope he's the odd man out. I'd much rather keep Jones and Peterman, and see how both develop.

cookie G
04-29-2017, 02:23 PM
He played in an offense most like the Bills had last year. Lots and lots of running, he'd pass more on occasion than regularly. But they also had one of the best offenses in the country last year.

Lots of snaps under center. Ball comes out quickly. I know that sounds a lot like Trent Edwards, but he's not afraid to throw it deep.

I like that he beat both Clemson and Penn St. last year.

But I'm pretty lukewarm on him.

kgun12
04-29-2017, 02:27 PM
If McDermott isn't lying about everything he's said about character, then I don't think Chad Kelly ever had a chance of being a Bill.

This is why Reuben Foster wasn't draft by us at #27!

cookie G
04-29-2017, 02:32 PM

Could be, idk. My wife brought up a good point...she wondered if the Bills approached Jim Kelly and asked, what, if anything they did to...rein his attitude in?

If he threw up his hands and said, "We tried"...you now have your answer.

He'll latch on with someone. He can use it as a learning experience..that being a DB can have repurcussions.

If not, its a lot of talent going to waste.

swiper
04-29-2017, 02:40 PM
He'll catch on with the Jets and have them in the play-offs in 2020, while the Bills are still languishing around the Mendoza line.

feldspar
04-29-2017, 02:42 PM
All I can say is that I'm glad the Bills brought a QB in...hope they keep doing that until they have their man

justasportsfan
04-29-2017, 02:48 PM
Looks like a pick to pacify Pegula with his Pitts connection?

Im glad we took a qb. Hell, I dont mind if we take Chdd undrafted. We need 10 qbs here til we find our future franchise qb

ParanoidAndroid
04-29-2017, 02:51 PM
How about Bucky Hodges?

Albany,n.y.
04-29-2017, 02:53 PM
Cincy just took S Mike Tyson. Sammy better watch his ears after the catch when we play the Bengals.

cookie G
04-29-2017, 02:54 PM
Looks like a pick to pacify Pegula with his Pitts connection?

Im glad we took a qb. Hell, I dont mind if we take Chdd undrafted. We need 10 qbs here til we find our future franchise qb

Or maybe to piss off him and Kim...he's a Penn St. alum.

- - - Updated - - -

Cincy just took S Mike Tyson. Sammy better watch his ears after the catch when we play the Bengals.

ESPN was showing Iron Mike highlights. I loved it.

justasportsfan
04-29-2017, 02:56 PM
Or maybe to piss off him and Kim...he's a Penn St. alum.

- - - Updated - - -

ESPN was showing Iron Mike highlights. I loved it.

Wasnt sure about what Pegs Pitts connection. Thanks

Scumbag College
04-29-2017, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't mind DE, LB, S, or RB depth with the last pick. Maybe move down a bit for one or two more picks before the end of the draft if someone wants to move up.

Mike13
04-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Part of me wants the Dolphins to draft Chad Kelly, just to **** with Bills fans

YardRat
04-29-2017, 03:00 PM
LA took OT Sam Tevi...I would have liked to get him.

feldspar
04-29-2017, 03:01 PM
Cardale Jones is a waste of time, ask me.

Need to move on from him...

YardRat
04-29-2017, 03:02 PM
**** me, and there goes S Xavier Woods to Dallas.

ParanoidAndroid
04-29-2017, 03:03 PM
Xavier Woods gone. I guarantee there's some disappointment in the front office right now.

Mike13
04-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Hodges is still on the board for whatever reason

YardRat
04-29-2017, 03:09 PM
And our last pick in the 2017 draft is...

YardRat
04-29-2017, 03:10 PM
...another commercial...

YardRat
04-29-2017, 03:11 PM
LBer Tanner Vallejo

Scumbag College
04-29-2017, 03:14 PM
Seems like Milano and Vallejo are depth LBs that should probably be considered special teamers. High effort and character guys. I don't know too much about them to be honest, but they needed LBs that fit this system and maybe one of them pans out.

stuckincincy
04-29-2017, 03:16 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/tanner-vallejo?id=2558289

Tanner Vallejo:

Strengths

Team-first player who played through severe wrist pain for almost the entire season. Sophomore season proved how productive he could be when allowed to play in the middle. Instinctive and quick to anticipate play flow. Takes aggressive contain angle when needed. Has a good feel for most efficient path to the ball. Maintains run fits and looks to spill the ball wide whenever possible. Plays with reactive athleticism to break down and quickly redirect his weight into runners trying to cut back. Shows a willingness to take on lead blockers with a leveraged shoulder. Good play speed with range to chase from sideline to sideline. Athletic enough to handle deep Cover-2 drops if called on.

Weaknesses

Angular frame with very short arms and may not be able to carry much more functional mass. Has never matched production total from two seasons ago. Below average play strength. Will struggle to unlock from a strong punch and fight back into the play. Could have issues leveraging his gap in the NFL. Can be washed away if he doesn't trigger downhill and stay one step ahead of blockers. Lacks thud behind his pads as a hitter. Has had issues sliding off of tackles. Has had to deal with injuries over the last two seasons and had to shut it down this season due to worsening of his wrist injury suffered in September.

Draft Projection Round 7-PFA

Sources Tell Us "You might as well throw out this year because the guy was in a ton of pain all year long. It was obvious that something was wrong early in the year. I hate going all the way back to his sophomore year but I think you have to at least look at that tape to get a feel for who he might be able to become." -- NFC regional scout
NFL Comparison Dominique Alexander

Bottom Line

Vallejo's outstanding production his sophomore season is one of the things keeping him alive in scouting circles. From a physical standpoint, he's an undersized inside linebacker who lacks the long levers needed to keep offensive linemen off of him. His instincts and third-down ability are plusses, but he'll need to find the right 3-4 fit or attempt to move to an outside linebacker role in a 4-3. Vallejo has NFL backup potential.
-Lance Zierlein

Night Train
04-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Seems like Milano and Vallejo are depth LBs that should probably be considered special teamers. High effort and character guys. I don't know too much about them to be honest, but they needed LBs that fit this system and maybe one of them pans out.

ST aces that fit the hybrid SS/OLB role I talked about previously. McDermott just stated they see Milano in that role of OLB.

Knew down deep they were looking for this type of player. Tweeners that can really run and are productive. They will sign more of this ilk over the next 24 hours. Only a couple D's in the NFL use these types like McDermott.

Scumbag College
04-29-2017, 04:41 PM
ST aces that fit the hybrid SS/OLB role I talked about previously. McDermott just stated they see Milano in that role of OLB.

Knew down deep they were looking for this type of player. Tweeners that can really run and are productive. They will sign more of this ilk over the next 24 hours. Only a couple D's in the NFL use these types like McDermott.

Ah ok...I didn't listen to anything McD has said today.