PDA

View Full Version : Why draft STers?

Oaf
04-29-2017, 06:44 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-take-two-LBs-late-for-special-teams-/adb71728-856e-4b1e-b71c-78f368605785

I get ST needs to improve. You got Tyrod at starter and you're going to have to be top-half on defense and ST to make the playoffs.

But if they're looking for speed and players on coverage units, why not bring some fringe FAs in or even hungry UDFAs? Why not take a depth S, DE, WR that could compete to start at some point?

streetkings01
04-29-2017, 07:00 PM
Round 4-7 are usually special teamers with the hopes they can become 2nd stringers.

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-29-2017, 07:01 PM
that and how many times in the past have we been burned cuz we sucked at various aspects of special teams. (example, our last ****ing playoff game) i know it's not the sexiest part of the game, but still a good, valuable important one

Mace
04-29-2017, 07:04 PM
Didn't like those picks, didn't like the trade-ups which could have allowed one of those picks for the hell of it.

Just sort of tells me Whaley wasn't marginalized, or McDermott has more roster confidence than I do. Got to give McDermott the benefit of my doubts this year though to be fair.

Turf
04-29-2017, 07:26 PM
Steve Tasker, to answer your question.

The Jokeman
04-29-2017, 08:05 PM
Round 4-7 are usually special teamers with the hopes they can become 2nd stringers.

Yep and it's nice to have guys who have ST experience when walk through the door than have to teach it to them.

Mace
04-29-2017, 09:55 PM
Yep and it's nice to have guys who have ST experience when walk through the door than have to teach it to them.

Yeah, it's not like you'd rather have position players with experience when they walk through the door and line up on more plays.

Bill Cody
04-29-2017, 10:22 PM
Didn't like those picks, didn't like the trade-ups which could have allowed one of those picks for the hell of it.

Just sort of tells me Whaley wasn't marginalized, or McDermott has more roster confidence than I do. Got to give McDermott the benefit of my doubts this year though to be fair.

The first trade up wasn't so bad, good player at a good spot. 2nd trade up was unnecessary and wasteful.

Manwiththeplan
04-29-2017, 11:47 PM
I think it you see a lower round player that you think has potential...and you want to draft him, it's in his best interest to have good special team skills. a lot of lower round players, special team ability is the diff between getting drafted or not.

SpikedLemonade
04-30-2017, 01:36 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-take-two-LBs-late-for-special-teams-/adb71728-856e-4b1e-b71c-78f368605785

I get ST needs to improve. You got Tyrod at starter and you're going to have to be top-half on defense and ST to make the playoffs.

But if they're looking for speed and players on coverage units, why not bring some fringe FAs in or even hungry UDFAs? Why not take a depth S, DE, WR that could compete to start at some point?

Exactly

class_of_2012
04-30-2017, 05:52 AM
Tanner Vallejo is an old-school linebacker who will find his way onto the defense. SMcD will love what he brings to the table.

Night Train
04-30-2017, 06:00 AM
They will probably get looks at the OLB position as a hybrid S. These guys fit the McDermott D.

Why crap on players before we even see them on the field ? if they envision them as having a chance to help, good for the Bills.

swiper
04-30-2017, 06:22 AM
I don't think these players are drafted specifically to be STers. They are drafted because the staff thinks they fit the mold they are looking for to contribute on offense or defense. If they can play ST, that's always just a secondary benefit.

Hopefully these players can come in off the bench and offer a starter a breather when needed without much drop-off in quality.

YardRat
04-30-2017, 09:56 AM
Because the days of drafting and developing a roster to keep are long gone. The window for success is is a lot shorter than it used to be, thanks to continually escalating salaries for 'top end' talent and the salary cap. Teams can't acquire and keep talent like they used to be able to in the 80's and 90's. That puts teams in a position to keep recycling youth to replace talent that bolts for $$ with their early picks, and makes it necessary to find cheap contributions (even if it is only on special teams) with the Day 3 picks.