• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Why draft STers?

I get ST needs to improve. You got Tyrod at starter and you're going to have to be top-half on defense and ST to make the playoffs.

But if they're looking for speed and players on coverage units, why not bring some fringe FAs in or even hungry UDFAs? Why not take a depth S, DE, WR that could compete to start at some point?

• streetkings01
    • Jul 2006

Re: Why draft STers?

Round 4-7 are usually special teamers with the hopes they can become 2nd stringers.
    You can call me streetkings

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
      • Nov 2007

that and how many times in the past have we been burned cuz we sucked at various aspects of special teams. (example, our last ****ing playoff game) i know it's not the sexiest part of the game, but still a good, valuable important one
      I came.
      I saw.
      I conquered.

Comment

• Mace
        Haha...yeah you think so ?
        • Mar 2013

Didn't like those picks, didn't like the trade-ups which could have allowed one of those picks for the hell of it.

Just sort of tells me Whaley wasn't marginalized, or McDermott has more roster confidence than I do. Got to give McDermott the benefit of my doubts this year though to be fair.

Comment

• Turf
          • Jul 2002

Steve Tasker, to answer your question.
          Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• The Jokeman
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by streetkings01 View Post
            Round 4-7 are usually special teamers with the hopes they can become 2nd stringers.
            Yep and it's nice to have guys who have ST experience when walk through the door than have to teach it to them.

Comment

• Mace
              Haha...yeah you think so ?
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
              Yep and it's nice to have guys who have ST experience when walk through the door than have to teach it to them.
              Yeah, it's not like you'd rather have position players with experience when they walk through the door and line up on more plays.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                Didn't like those picks, didn't like the trade-ups which could have allowed one of those picks for the hell of it.

Just sort of tells me Whaley wasn't marginalized, or McDermott has more roster confidence than I do. Got to give McDermott the benefit of my doubts this year though to be fair.
                The first trade up wasn't so bad, good player at a good spot. 2nd trade up was unnecessary and wasteful.

Comment

• Manwiththeplan
                  • Aug 2014

I think it you see a lower round player that you think has potential...and you want to draft him, it's in his best interest to have good special team skills. a lot of lower round players, special team ability is the diff between getting drafted or not.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                    • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
                    http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...c-78f368605785

I get ST needs to improve. You got Tyrod at starter and you're going to have to be top-half on defense and ST to make the playoffs.

But if they're looking for speed and players on coverage units, why not bring some fringe FAs in or even hungry UDFAs? Why not take a depth S, DE, WR that could compete to start at some point?
                    Exactly

Comment

• class_of_2012
                      • Mar 2017

Tanner Vallejo is an old-school linebacker who will find his way onto the defense. SMcD will love what he brings to the table.

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

They will probably get looks at the OLB position as a hybrid S. These guys fit the McDermott D.

Why crap on players before we even see them on the field ? if they envision them as having a chance to help, good for the Bills.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Swiper
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2010

I don't think these players are drafted specifically to be STers. They are drafted because the staff thinks they fit the mold they are looking for to contribute on offense or defense. If they can play ST, that's always just a secondary benefit.

Hopefully these players can come in off the bench and offer a starter a breather when needed without much drop-off in quality.
                          Last edited by swiper; 04-30-2017, 06:23 AM.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Because the days of drafting and developing a roster to keep are long gone. The window for success is is a lot shorter than it used to be, thanks to continually escalating salaries for 'top end' talent and the salary cap. Teams can't acquire and keep talent like they used to be able to in the 80's and 90's. That puts teams in a position to keep recycling youth to replace talent that bolts for $$ with their early picks, and makes it necessary to find cheap contributions (even if it is only on special teams) with the Day 3 picks.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                            X