doug whaley fired

per espn

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-30-2017, 07:26 AM
Saw it on FB but did not believe it. Give link

class_of_2012
04-30-2017, 07:27 AM
It's true:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2700063-doug-whaley-fired-by-bills-owner-terry-pegula-releases-statement

djjimkelly
04-30-2017, 07:28 AM
It's true:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2700063-doug-whaley-fired-by-bills-owner-terry-pegula-releases-statement

ty its on TV not espn.com yet

Forward_Lateral
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!

Buffalo Bills fb page just confirmed it!!!

Peace out ding dong!

Buffalogic
Shefty reporting it. I like it. Full house clean.

SpikedLemonade
04-30-2017, 07:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q

class_of_2012
04-30-2017, 07:30 AM
Why was this not done in January???????

Luisito23
04-30-2017, 07:30 AM
About time...

The idiot lasted here too long.

SpikedLemonade
04-30-2017, 07:31 AM

Kim would not unclench then.

phil3782
About time. Should have happened months ago!

Night Train

So the scouting reports didn't go in the shredder from the scouts. Timing is everything.

Luisito23
04-30-2017, 07:32 AM
Yeah, it should've happened months ago, but it's done and it's all that matters.

Night Train
04-30-2017, 07:32 AM
Now lets all beat our chests.

Turf
04-30-2017, 07:34 AM
Fok Yes!

djjimkelly
04-30-2017, 07:35 AM
now its time to have one truly bad season so the new GM can pick whichever qb he likes the most in 2018

class_of_2012
04-30-2017, 07:37 AM
Kim would not unclench then.
LOL!

So the scouting reports didn't go in the shredder from the scouts. Timing is everything.

Hmmm...ok, but other teams did it then on Black Monday or Sunday.

Also, when do Brandon and Overdorf go?

Wally The Barber
04-30-2017, 07:39 AM
I will miss his sunglasses

Fixxxer
04-30-2017, 07:42 AM
Good luck to him, I think he's a good talent evaluator, but I understand the firing. I hope he does well in his next endeavour and it if is as a GM, they let him chose his HC.

Hopefully we can retain Monos.

sahlensguy
04-30-2017, 07:43 AM
Good on Pegula.

SpikedLemonade
04-30-2017, 08:08 AM
I will miss his sunglasses

Kim will be missing something else of his.

SpikedLemonade
04-30-2017, 08:10 AM
"This was my decision. It was not an easy decision but I believe it's the right one for the future of the Buffalo Bills. Our search for a new general manager will begin immediately," Pegula said in a statement released by the team. "He is a good person and we want to thank him for his work and commitment to our football team."

http://www.tsn.ca/bills-fire-general-manager-whaley-1.738890

Read between the sheets.

Terry is going to miss watching Kim get the meats.

Buddo
04-30-2017, 08:11 AM
Much depends on what happens now, as to how I view this. There are parts of the scouting/pro-personnel departments that have worked really well under Whaley, and he was the guy who set them up. If it's going to be a total house clearing, then I think it's a typical NFL mistake, in that like when a new HC gets appointed, it seems automatic that everything gets thrown out of the window, including the parts that were working, e.g. Schwartz after Ryan took over.

I'm also very wary about giving McDermott the amount of power it appears he's getting. He's done precisely nothing as a HC, to warrant the degree of control it seems he's getting. The likes of Reid, Belichick etc. had to earn that power, over a number of years, and they did earn it.

While the Pegulas might have made a good HC choice this time around, it looks like they might not have finished making mistakes in other areas. Aside from not getting a franchise QB, I don't think that Whaley and the personnel staff, have been anywhere near as bad as many would have it.

TacklingDummy
04-30-2017, 08:14 AM
Another GM killed for not having a Quarterback. Happens all the time. Not having a QB is a coach/GM killer. See Buffalo, Cleveland, NJJ, 49ers.

Having a QB makes everyone look great. See New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Buffalo (Kelly Era), Miami (Marino Era), 49ers (Montana/Young) Colts (Manning), without Manning they go 1-15 to steal Luck, etc...

Good luck Doug. It's not your fault that there's only been about 2 good QBs drafted the past 3 years while you were GM.

WagonCircler
04-30-2017, 08:14 AM
Thank you GOD. Our long regional nightmare has ended.

Luisito23
04-30-2017, 08:18 AM
LOL...Whaley will be more than fine, he doesn't need anyone's "good luck".

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-30-2017, 08:18 AM
And once again who's still there standing strong?

russ ****ing brandon

SpikedLemonade
04-30-2017, 08:24 AM
And once again who's still there standing strong?

russ ****ing brandon

OR as I Like to refer to him for the past number of years -- DEATH ON TWO LEGS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqVpk0qxmfA

Historian
04-30-2017, 08:24 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C93Sr70UIAEMhcy.jpg

WagonCircler
04-30-2017, 08:25 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C93Sr70UIAEMhcy.jpg

You're next Russ.

The Jokeman
04-30-2017, 08:25 AM
Timing is odd especially with the Sammy decision looming as well as signing of undrafted free agents. Hopefully we don't forget all this during the GM search.

SpikedLemonade
04-30-2017, 08:26 AM
You're next Russ.
Getting filthy drunk when and if that happens.

ckg927
SPEAKING of "house cleaning"....TheScore.com is reporting through their app that the entire scouting staff will likely be turfed as well.

Luisito23
LOL, that goofy ass MF is never getting fired...Besides, doesn't he own part of the Bills?

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-30-2017, 08:28 AM
you bastages all got your wish ! we just lost the best GM in football and you hounds from hell have been beating the drum for his head on a platter for years and now you got what you wanted. Whaley was the best GM we've had in years. without him at the helm we will be lost. We will probably go years now with out a playoff appearance.

WagonCircler
04-30-2017, 08:30 AM
you bastages all got your wish ! we just lost the best GM in football and you hounds from hell have been beating the drum for his head on a platter for years and now you got what you wanted. Whaley was the best GM we've had in years. without him at the helm we will be lost. We will probably go years now with out a playoff appearance.

Oh, I get it. You're one of those parody accounts.

Historian
04-30-2017, 08:32 AM
I'm also very wary about giving McDermott the amount of power it appears he's getting. He's done precisely nothing as a HC, to warrant the degree of control it seems he's getting. The likes of Reid, Belichick etc. had to earn that power, over a number of years, and they did earn it.

I agree.

They are placing all their eggs in the McDermott basket, especially if they poach their GM from the Panthers.

There have been encouraging signs, but this is a Head Coach who has never coached a game at this level before.

That's a big gamble.

Huge.

Hopefully he's the next Parcells or Walsh.

Given Buffalo's history, he could be the next Gregg Williams or Hank Bullough tho.

SpikedLemonade
04-30-2017, 08:33 AM

LOL!!!!!!

justasportsfan
04-30-2017, 08:41 AM
I hope whoever replaces him knows how to find talent off the street because McD hasnt proven anything. All we've seen from his last giig at Panthers is that he wasnt anything special as a coach when his players went down to injury so he will need a very good GM. Its kinda scary that McD has been given a lot of power considering his lack of experience.

feldspar
04-30-2017, 08:42 AM
You're next Russ.

Not that I'm a fan of Russ...

But if Russ Brandon is responsible for the things a lot of people think he is, I figure those people who are glad Whaley is gone should be thanking Russ Brandon for that. right? After all, Russ Brandon was behind firing Doug Whaley. Right?

Great job, Russ!

justasportsfan
04-30-2017, 08:54 AM

But if Russ Brandon is responsible for the things a lot of people think he is, I figure those people who are glad Whaley is gone should be thanking Russ Brandon for that. right? After all, Russ Brandon was behind firing Doug Whaley. Right?

Great job, Russ!

It doesnt work that way.

HHURRICANE
04-30-2017, 08:57 AM
If we can lose with Whaley we can certainly lose without him.

If he's so great at evaluating talent where are the players?

feldspar
04-30-2017, 09:07 AM
It doesnt work that way.

Which way does it work then?

Brandon is just behind anything negative you can think of?

How come he had nothing to do with Whaley's firing then? Did he not play a role hiring McDermott? How much of a role did he play in this year's Bills draft? Does he pull personnel strings with the Sabres, affecting the Bylsma and Murray firings too?

Explain.

Explain to me how it works. You seem to know, so I'd appreciate it if you let me in on it.

I'm not defending Brandon in any way here, either. Just asking a simple question...How does it work then?

Night Train
04-30-2017, 09:49 AM
I agree.They are placing all their eggs in the McDermott basket, especially if they poach their GM from the Panthers.There have been encouraging signs, but this is a Head Coach who has never coached a game at this level before.That's a big gamble.

Absolutely...and it's still the most acceptable plan we've had in 17 years of floundering. Ralph once lost his mind (1978) and gave all the controls to Chuck Knox, who turned the team around quickly and made the Bills a good team. Then he went cheap and Knox was gone. Knox got the ultimate raw deal.

Single minded leadership can work with the right help surrounding him. I'll let him bring in some of the Carolina people and see if it works. Let's give him a fair shake.

He had a good weekend wheeling and dealing. Now we have talent and two #1's next year. So far, so good. Can't coach a game for months... so let him do the work he can do to improve this organization which has been without direction for far too long.

Manwiththeplan
04-30-2017, 10:00 AM
I'd think that the Pegulas probabaly sat around and read the various articles that have came out. The ones pointing to the fact that drafted players are no longer even on the team. The number of 1 year contracts we had to contend with this year.
I also think this gives credit to statements about whaley having issues with just about every coach that he has been with. I think with Mcdermot they want to bring in someone that can work with him....rather than it being a constant rift between the two.

The part i question is... is he out of the pegulas life completely or just as the bills gm...

Mace
04-30-2017, 10:06 AM
The part i question is... is he out of the pegulas life completely or just as the bills gm...

Sabres need a GM.

sahlensguy
04-30-2017, 10:10 AM
Sabres need a GM.

Zing

SpikedLemonade
04-30-2017, 10:10 AM
Sabres need a GM.

Oh....I miss Rainman already.

Mace
04-30-2017, 10:13 AM

The scouting reports from the scouts they will also fire ?

Besides that, hard to believe they would only have one copy of info and it would be in Whaley's briefcase.

cookie G
04-30-2017, 10:21 AM
You're next Russ.

I'll believe it when I see it.

WagonCircler
04-30-2017, 10:29 AM
After all, Russ Brandon was behind firing Doug Whaley. Right?

I don't know where you're getting that from.

Great job, Russ!

Well, it would appear t hat you are. So....

cookie G
04-30-2017, 10:30 AM
Absolutely...and it's still the most acceptable plan we've had in 17 years of floundering. Ralph once lost his mind (1978) and gave all the controls to Chuck Knox, who turned the team around quickly and made the Bills a good team. Then he went cheap and Knox was gone. Knox got the ultimate raw deal.

Single minded leadership can work with the right help surrounding him. I'll let him bring in some of the Carolina people and see if it works. Let's give him a fair shake.

He had a good weekend wheeling and dealing. Now we have talent and two #1's next year. So far, so good. Can't coach a game for months... so let him do the work he can do to improve this organization which has been without direction for far too long.

The difference is that Chuck Knox had won 5 division championships in 5 years with the Rams.

As Buddo put so well, the ones who are given the keys to the entire operation are those who accomplished something as a head coach.

Belichick
Parcells
Andy Reid

If we go back in Bills' history..this is like turning the keys over Kay Stephenson or Doug Marrone.

We'll see.

cookie G
04-30-2017, 10:37 AM
Every time a GM has left/been let go, Russ has gotten a promotion.

from coffee boy/salesman under Donahoe to director of non football operations in 2006;
to GM in 2009;
to CEO in 2010;
to SuperPresident/Head of Analytics Dept. in 2013..

What's left?

Supreme Commander of the European theater?
Chairman of the Join Chiefs?
Seraph?

feldspar
04-30-2017, 10:42 AM
I don't know where you're getting that from.

Well, I don't know where people get half the **** they blame Russ Brandon for, either. Kind of my point.

A certain crowd blames him for everything as if he never did anything positive. Something bad happens in their minds, and his name automatically comes up...something good happens in their minds, and his name is not mentioned.

Well, it would appear t hat you are. So....

Appearances can be deceiving. I don't really like the guy, either. I can't pin it down, but he just LOOKS like he has a sleazy aspect to him somehow.

Admit it. You don't know what he actually does. I feel people scapegoat him at random out of frustration...just blindly.

Did Brandon have something to do with the firing of Whaley? Because, I gotta tell ya that a certain demographic would probably blame him somewhat if Whaley were to retained IMO...yet won't mention his name now that Whaley got the can. That mentality makes no sense to me.

Night Train
04-30-2017, 10:44 AM
The difference is that Chuck Knox had won 5 division championships in 5 years with the Rams. As Buddo put so well, the ones who are given the keys to the entire operation are those who accomplished something as a head coach. Belichick
ParcellsAndy ReidIf we go back in Bills' history..this is like turning the keys over Kay Stephenson or Doug Marrone.We'll see.

You are correct...and after 17 years of failure, it's still not a bad idea. I'll give it a chance.

It's nice to have an owner that doesn't meddle as much, due to his concern over his snapper purse lacking coin. Pegula has the football acumen of my dog but seems indifferent to paying failures millions to leave and does look forward. Not my money, so I'll watch McDermott do his job.

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-30-2017, 10:45 AM

from coffee boy/salesman under Donahoe to director of non football operations in 2006;
to GM in 2009;
to CEO in 2010;

What's left?

Seraph?
Somehow he'll be promoted to team owner

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-30-2017, 10:53 AM
According to pegula, whaley ran the draft.

- - - Updated - - -

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/30/bills-fire-entire-scouting-staff-along-with-doug-whaley/

SpikedLemonade
04-30-2017, 10:53 AM

to GM in 2009;
to CEO in 2010;

What's left?

Seraph?

Third Person in the Bed with Terry & Kim?

kingJofNYC
04-30-2017, 11:02 AM
Pretty wild that McDermott wields so much power as a first time coach. We basically have to start from the ground up, our pro personnel team was pretty good in making smart acquisitions and now we start from 0 on that end as well. All on McDermott.

WagonCircler
04-30-2017, 11:06 AM
Admit it. You don't know what he actually does

Sure I do. He's a weasel who sucks up to rich owners and convinces them that he has their best interests in mind, and, like any con-man, he manipulates them for his own personal gain.

Russ Brandon doesn't do anything in business that any college kid couldn't do. Marketing? He sells football tickets to Western New Yorkers. That's like selling drugs to rock stars. It doesn't take a genius.

I might be inclined to go a little easier on him had he not showed his true colors by naming himself General Manager of an NFL team. That's the most preposterous thing I've ever seen.

This idiot has ZERO football background, and he has no more insight into the game than any fan does, yet he insinuated himself into situations in which he was making or having input into football decisions.

Brandon was in charge of ticket sales for the Florida Marlins before coming to the Bills. He proceeded to ingratiate himself to a 90 year old dying man. He gained Ralph's trust like a gold digger and seized a mind boggling amount of power, none of which he deserved or was qualified to wield.

He's a worthless piece of **** whose only talent is self preservation.

He's the type of scumbag who would do just great on the TV show Survivor. And he's also the type of scumbag who never has accomplishes anything tangible. He merely takes credit for things he was a bystander for, and he evades blame for failures he should be blamed for.

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-30-2017, 11:08 AM
Sure I do. He's a weasel who sucks up to rich owners and convinces them that he has their best interests in mind, and, like any con-man, he manipulates them for his own personal gain.

Russ Brandon doesn't do anything in business that any college kid couldn't do. Marketing? He sells football tickets to Western New Yorkers. That's like selling drugs to rock stars. It doesn't take a genius.

I might be inclined to go a little easier on him had he not showed his true colors by naming himself General Manager of an NFL team. That's the most preposterous thing I've ever seen.

This idiot has ZERO football background, and he has no more insight into the game than any fan does, yet he insinuated himself into situations in which he was making or having input into football decisions.

Brandon was in charge of ticket sales for the Florida Marlins before coming to the Bills. He proceeded to ingratiate himself to a 90 year old dying man. He gained Ralph's trust like a gold digger and seized a mind boggling amount of power, none of which he deserved or was qualified to wield.

He's the type of scumbag who would do just great on the TV show Survivor. And he's also the type of scumbag who never has accomplishes anything tangible. He merely takes credit for things he was a bystander for, and he evades blame for failures he should be blamed for.

Post of the week. Thank you!! Couldn't have said it better than that

sudzy
04-30-2017, 11:10 AM

He's been there since Kim bought the team. Just, Russ learned how to lick the alphabet, now Doug is no longer needed.

swiper
04-30-2017, 11:11 AM
You're next Russ.

Don't have any doubts that he threw absolutely everyone around him under the bus to save his own @ss.

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-30-2017, 11:12 AM
Yup. As I said. He is ALWAYS the last man standing.

feldspar
04-30-2017, 11:12 AM
Sure I do.

I don't think that you do.

Albany,n.y.
04-30-2017, 11:14 AM

Sounds like he could be elected president in 2028.

DraftBoy
04-30-2017, 11:14 AM

How come he had nothing to do with Whaley's firing then? Did he not play a role hiring McDermott? How much of a role did he play in this year's Bills draft? Does he pull personnel strings with the Sabres, affecting the Bylsma and Murray firings too?

Explain.

Explain to me how it works. You seem to know, so I'd appreciate it if you let me in on it.

I'm not defending Brandon in any way here, either. Just asking a simple question...How does it work then?

Nobody is actually going to be able to answer these questions.

DraftBoy
04-30-2017, 11:16 AM
According to pegula, whaley ran the draft.

Then that's a pretty ****ty strategy considering it's been rumored for weeks he was being canned.

swiper
04-30-2017, 11:16 AM
You are correct...and after 17 years of failure, it's still not a bad idea. I'll give it a chance.

It's nice to have an owner that doesn't meddle as much, due to his concern over his snapper purse lacking coin. Pegula has the football acumen of my dog but seems indifferent to paying failures millions to leave and does look forward. Not my money, so I'll watch McDermott do his job.

An owner that doesn't meddle? LOL. The Bills have had 3 coaches in his short tenure. The Sabres had Ruff, Nolan, Bylsyma and Ralston. He will now have two football GMs and a third hockey GM in his short time. He meddles. And he never seems to get it right.

But hey. Hope spring eternal. I like McDermott a lot better than Ryan even if he hasn't coached a game yet.

Novacane
04-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Much depends on what happens now, as to how I view this. There are parts of the scouting/pro-personnel departments that have worked really well under Whaley, and he was the guy who set them up. If it's going to be a total house clearing, then I think it's a typical NFL mistake, in that like when a new HC gets appointed, it seems automatic that everything gets thrown out of the window, including the parts that were working, e.g. Schwartz after Ryan took over.

While the Pegulas might have made a good HC choice this time around, it looks like they might not have finished making mistakes in other areas. Aside from not getting a franchise QB, I don't think that Whaley and the personnel staff, have been anywhere near as bad as many would have it.

While I am glad to see Whaley go this also concerns me. Pegula has given a lot of power to someone who hasn't proven he deserves it. For our sake I hope Mcdermott pans out or we may go 25 years with no playoffs!

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Then that's a pretty ****ty strategy considering it's been rumored for weeks he was being canned.

Agreed

Historian
04-30-2017, 11:18 AM
http://www.sponsorship.com/IEGSR/2017/02/06/NFL-Sponsorship-Revenue-Totals-$1-25-Billion-In-20/NFL-Team-Sponsorship-Revenue-Rankings.aspx
I especially love the kinard of how he regionalized the team, by moving the training camp to his alma mater.

I've had season tickets on and off since Chuck Knox.

Every year I sat with more Rochester people than Buffalonians.

feldspar
04-30-2017, 11:21 AM
Nobody is actually going to be able to answer these questions.

My point exactly.

DetDannyWilliams
04-30-2017, 11:24 AM
Russ Brandon has other stuff on his plate like trying to keep the AHL Americans in Rochester...

Russ Brandon, the president and managing partner of Pegula Sports and Entertainment, said the Rochester decision will come after a GM is in place. The Amerks do not have an agreement with the city to play in Blue Cross Arena next season.<strike></strike>

“We’re going to continue to work with the officials in Rochester,” Brandon said. “Obviously, it’s a very important regional element for us. We’ll continue to discuss that when there’s another general manager in place and head coach in place.<strike></strike>

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/26/pegulas-start-sabres-search-brandon-continues-talks-rochester-amerks/<strike></strike>

cookie G
04-30-2017, 11:27 AM

That part..I can understand. Again, I'll wait and see.

This part...I'm not so sure..he/they certainly seem to put themselves in the forefront on major decisions on this team.

It might not be due to a tight wallet, but him and Kim are definitely hands on...and it seems in areas they shouldn't be.

The big example is the hiring of Rex. To this day, I find it fascinating that while the Pegulas were falling in love with Rex and Russ was locking the doors to OBD, no one bothered to wonder why the Jets descended from a team that played in teh AFC championship game to a league laughingstock..and what Rex' role was in that descent.

cookie G
04-30-2017, 11:30 AM

Stop doing that!!!!!!

You're really starting to gross me out!

YardRat
04-30-2017, 11:32 AM
I still say Brandon is going to end up commish someday. Used to think NFL obviously, but now that he's wriggled his way into the Sabres org also, it puts the NHL top job in play too.

whkfc
04-30-2017, 11:33 AM
Yup. As I said. He is ALWAYS the last man standing.

They say cockroaches can survive almost anything.

Mace
04-30-2017, 11:46 AM

to GM in 2009;
to CEO in 2010;

What's left?

Seraph?

Seraph is likely as it leaves room for additional career growth with adjectives.

swiper
04-30-2017, 11:49 AM
Every year I sat with more Rochester people than Buffalonians.

They're apparently more gullible. You own a Polaroid?

feldspar
04-30-2017, 12:00 PM
I still say Brandon is going to end up commish someday. Used to think NFL obviously, but now that he's wriggled his way into the Sabres org also, it puts the NHL top job in play too.

Russ Brandon is the President of the Bills, Sabres, the Rochester Americans, and Pegula Sports and Enertainment .

The President.

Lots there on the plate.

People kill me when they say he has no football background, even though he has been employed by a football team for the past 20 years. Then again, they like to blame him for everything because he's been employed by THIS football team for the past 20 years. This makes zero sense to say both things in the same breathe.

They use him as a convenient scapegoat IMO, with no proof needed.

He's the President. The President of the Seattle Seahawks worked for freakin' Anheuser-Busch for 21 years before becoming president of that team. Brandon is tied into the business end on the organization. He is not responsible for everything that happens across FOUR gigantic independent entities...the Bills, Sabres, the Rochester Americans, and Pegula Sports and Entertainment... people who blame Brandon for these sports teams for losing aren't really thinking at all.

I don't think firing Brandon would have much of an impact on the win/loss records of these teams, as much as he as demonized.

Detractors can tell me I'm defending him, but this is merely an attempted exercise in logic...unless you can prove otherwise. Fire him, and it won't care, but I don't see things necessarily getting better because of that. We won't suddenly start to win.

SpikedLemonade
04-30-2017, 12:07 PM
He's been there since Kim bought the team. Just, Russ learned how to lick the alphabet, now Doug is no longer needed.

That was beautiful....almost poetic.

cookie G
04-30-2017, 12:41 PM
Seraph is likely as it leaves room for additional career growth with adjectives.

Lucifer was a seraoh..so its fitting.

But I think Lucifer knew a little more about what he was trying to do

TigerJ
04-30-2017, 12:45 PM
I do wonder about the logic of trusting your player personnel department to put together your entire offseason program of player releases and re-signings, free agent acquisitions, and you draft board after you've already decided to can their behinds.

DetDannyWilliams
04-30-2017, 01:00 PM
Russ Brandon is the President of the Bills, Sabres, the Rochester Americans, and Pegula Sports and Enertainment .

The President.

Lots there on the plate.

People kill me when they say he has no football background, even though he has been employed by a football team for the past 20 years. Then again, they like to blame him for everything because he's been employed by THIS football team for the past 20 years. This makes zero sense to say both things in the same breathe.

They use him as a convenient scapegoat IMO, with no proof needed.

He's the President. The President of the Seattle Seahawks worked for freakin' Anheuser-Busch for 21 years before becoming president of that team. Brandon is tied into the business end on the organization. He is not responsible for everything that happens across FOUR gigantic independent entities...the Bills, Sabres, the Rochester Americans, and Pegula Sports and Entertainment... people who blame Brandon for these sports teams for losing aren't really thinking at all.

I don't think firing Brandon would have much of an impact on the win/loss records of these teams, as much as he as demonized.

Detractors can tell me I'm defending him, but this is merely an attempted exercise in logic...unless you can prove otherwise. Fire him, and it won't care, but I don't see things necessarily getting better because of that. We won't suddenly start to win.

Brandon never worked for Seattle Seahawks he worked in the front office of the Florida Marlins the year that they won the World Series https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Brandon

Dmoney
04-30-2017, 01:35 PM
Brandon never worked for Seattle Seahawks he worked in the front office of the Florida Marlins the year that they won the World Series https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Brandon
Please re-read what he wrote...

feldspar
04-30-2017, 01:41 PM

Read what I said again there, fella.

- - - Updated - - -

Please re-read what he wrote...

...beat me to it.

justasportsfan
04-30-2017, 02:07 PM

Explain.

I wasnt arguing with you .
I agree with you. But to some people, Russ is also at fault for global warming.

Some people here seem to even know more what went on in the background more than Russ himself

I think Russ has done a good job marketing the team.

Arm of Harm
04-30-2017, 03:40 PM

I see where you're coming from, and there is some validity to the points you're making.

But Doug Whaley clearly needed to go. Of that there is absolutely no question. Any time you have the fewest drafted players on your roster, out of any team in the league, it's hardly a ringing endorsement for the guy put in charge of drafting those players. And it's not like Whaley made up for lack of quantity with quality. None of his drafted players have (thus far) become star players, and very few could even be described as solid starters. There is absolutely no reason to trust Whaley on draft day.

As for salary cap management: the Bills let Gilmore walk, because we didn't have the salary cap space we needed to re-sign him. He was signed by the New England Patriots, instead. In theory, the more talent a team acquires, the closer to the salary cap limit it's expected to move. But that's only if both teams are equally good at managing the cap. The Patriots are clearly a more talented team than the Bills, and yet they somehow found the salary cap space to sign Gilmore that we lacked. They are getting much better mileage out of their player spending than Whaley was getting.

I agree that McDermott has not earned the authority he's been given. But that authority has to be given to someone, and it's not as though there was some other person in the Bills organization who'd earned it. Better to give the authority to someone whose GM abilities had not yet been tested, such as McDermott, than to a tried-and-failed GM like Whaley.

I agree with your point that, when you fire someone, you don't normally want to get rid of the good parts along with the bad. Had Marrone not left voluntarily, it would have made far more sense to fire him, than it did to fire Schwartz. But there isn't too much danger of getting rid of good elements with the Whaley firing, because there was so little worth keeping.

feldspar
04-30-2017, 03:49 PM
I wasnt arguing with you .
I agree with you. But to some people, Russ is also at fault for global warming.

OK, man...but sometimes sarcasm doesn't translate so well to the written word.

Half the time, I figure somebody has got to be kidding when they really aren't. ;)

justasportsfan
04-30-2017, 04:08 PM
The report came late last night and maybe its because Whaley didnt want Peterman and he was MCDs pick .

McD: Whats wrong with Peterman
DW : He white.

Mad Bomber
04-30-2017, 06:27 PM
You're next Russ.
One can only hope...

WagonCircler
04-30-2017, 06:52 PM
The report came late last night and maybe its because Whaley didnt want Peterman and he was MCDs pick .

McD: Whats wrong with Peterman
DW : He white.

Whaley put his house up for sale 7 days ago, according to Channel 2's Josh Reed.

Zoneblitser
05-01-2017, 08:08 AM
We are the Bills, shouldn't that read, one of our long standing nightmares has ended.

Arm of Harm
05-01-2017, 08:59 AM
Another GM killed for not having a Quarterback. Happens all the time. Not having a QB is a coach/GM killer. See Buffalo, Cleveland, NJJ, 49ers.

Having a QB makes everyone look great. See New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Buffalo (Kelly Era), Miami (Marino Era), 49ers (Montana/Young) Colts (Manning), without Manning they go 1-15 to steal Luck, etc...

Good luck Doug. It's not your fault that there's only been about 2 good QBs drafted the past 3 years while you were GM.

I don't know if this was your intention, but your post comes across as though you were letting Whaley off the hook for the Bills' QB situation.

Doug Whaley's QB of the future was EJ Manuel. Manuel had the size and strength you want in your starting QB, and his 4.6 in the 40 meant he had good mobility. I've watched some of Manuel's college play, and nearly all his throws were dump-offs, or throws to guys who were wide open. Occasionally he'd throw to a guy moving vertically, at which point the WR would often have to slow down or even stop to catch the throw. Almost never did I see him throw to anyone moving horizontally. The vast majority of his throws were to stationary targets.

In college, Manuel ran a simplified offense. An offense in which he made only one read. If his one read wasn't open, he would run the ball or dump it off. Nothing about his college play even remotely suggested the possibility he could process information at or near the NFL level.

When the Manuel pick was announced, I felt the same feeling of sports-related defeat I'd felt about Wide Right, or the Music City Miracle, or No Goal. With that pick, I knew the Bills were throwing away the next few years on a physical tools-only type QB who'd never amount to anything. Even more importantly, I knew we were throwing away the next few years on a front office which couldn't evaluate QB talent. For me, the Manuel pick was like an announcement that the Bills would be home for the playoffs for the next few seasons.

Whaley was so committed to the Manuel pick that in 2014 he traded up for Sammy Watkins, instead of trading down for Derek Carr. Some of Whaley's supporters saw his decision to go "all in" on Manuel as a sign of his high testosterone level. I saw it as confirmation that Whaley was an incompetent GM.

As hope in the Manuel pick began to fade, Whaley found himself another physically gifted QB who was also not noted for accuracy or fast information processing. I'm not concerned about the low draft pick we wasted on Cardale Jones. But that pick demonstrated once again that the first and most important attribute Whaley looks for in a QB is his physical gifts.

The Bills will not win a Super Bowl until we find the successor to Jim Kelly. Whaley has very clearly shown us he was not the guy to find that successor. There is no reason for the Bills to deny themselves the possibility of a Super Bowl win, just to make Doug Whaley happy. It's not as though his draft day successes at non-QB positions have been so overwhelming, as to cause us to overlook his utter inability to evaluate QB talent.

Jimkelly12203
05-01-2017, 09:10 AM
Timing is odd especially with the Sammy decision looming as well as signing of undrafted free agents. Hopefully we don't forget all this during the GM search.

I don't think the firing had too much to do with Sammy, but if the McD's of the organization wanted to move on from what is inarguably Whaley's worst draft pick it would make sense. And to clarify, Sammy is talented no doubt. It's Whaley's worst draft pick because of what he gave up for him. It's even worse when you factor in the fact that we didn't have an NFL starting calibur QB when the trade for Sammy was made.

Sammy hasn't worked out for us. I don't even think he's that good to be honest so it makes sense that they don't want Whaley's clouded judgment being involved in the decision making on Sammy's future.

JoeMama
05-01-2017, 09:11 AM
So, who popped a bottle of champagne Sunday?

The celebration was raucous in the JoeyMama household.

Buddo
05-01-2017, 06:19 PM
I see where you're coming from, and there is some validity to the points you're making.

But Doug Whaley clearly needed to go. Of that there is absolutely no question. Any time you have the fewest drafted players on your roster, out of any team in the league, it's hardly a ringing endorsement for the guy put in charge of drafting those players. And it's not like Whaley made up for lack of quantity with quality. None of his drafted players have (thus far) become star players, and very few could even be described as solid starters. There is absolutely no reason to trust Whaley on draft day.

As for salary cap management: the Bills let Gilmore walk, because we didn't have the salary cap space we needed to re-sign him. He was signed by the New England Patriots, instead. In theory, the more talent a team acquires, the closer to the salary cap limit it's expected to move. But that's only if both teams are equally good at managing the cap. The Patriots are clearly a more talented team than the Bills, and yet they somehow found the salary cap space to sign Gilmore that we lacked. They are getting much better mileage out of their player spending than Whaley was getting.

I agree that McDermott has not earned the authority he's been given. But that authority has to be given to someone, and it's not as though there was some other person in the Bills organization who'd earned it. Better to give the authority to someone whose GM abilities had not yet been tested, such as McDermott, than to a tried-and-failed GM like Whaley.

I agree with your point that, when you fire someone, you don't normally want to get rid of the good parts along with the bad. Had Marrone not left voluntarily, it would have made far more sense to fire him, than it did to fire Schwartz. But there isn't too much danger of getting rid of good elements with the Whaley firing, because there was so little worth keeping.

You make some decent points, but there is one that I think is just plain wrong, and that relates to Gilmore. I don't think we were that bothered about keeping him, at all. Pretty much irrespective of any cap situation, you don't give 'man coverage' money, to a CB who is going to be playing 'zone coverage'. And Gilmore wanted his money. Tbh, I seriously doubt that the Gilmore decision, had anything at all to do with Whaley getting canned.

Back to the cap situation. It isn't ideal, but it also isn't that bad, and there is still room to restructure guys if absolutely necessary, (Dareus and Glenn) which could free up quite a bit of room. We are by no means in 'cap hell'. If they really wanted to keep Gilmore, they could have found the money, I'm sure, especially after the Taylor restructure, and if they had done something with Dareus and Glenn.

Now, you might be right, albeit perhaps for the wrong reasons, in that the cap situation is part of, or one of, the 'few areas we need to get better in', according to Pegula. I'm thinking about the previous year, when we didn't have enough room to put the 2nd level tender on Hogan, and then simply couldn't afford to match the Patsies offer. I think that one stung the Pegulas, especially with the struggles we ended up having at the WR position, and was followed up by not giving Gillislee the 2nd round tender either. Who once again goes to the Patsies, because we decided not to match their offer.

Now, the above is speculation, but it is based on facts, and added to a couple of other things, may have been the tipping point, although we simply don't know.

QB aside, I don't think Whaleys drafting has been that bad. At least a couple of the picks who aren't here any more, were turned into better players, Alonso for Shady, being the obvious example. I'd also say that some of the ups and downs of form, that have some of those picks being castigated, are probably more to do with coaching changes (hence scheme), than the ability of the players. While the jury is still out on a few guys, Whaley has only whiffed once in the 1st round with EJ, and once in the 2nd round, with Kouandjio, and he might still turn out to be okay, although recent events make that a lot less likely than it was 6 months ago.

We will almost certainly miss his staffs ability to find guys off the street, to come in and contribute, when the injury bug hits us this year, and it's those guys I wanted to be retained, as I think they've done nothing wrong, and a lot right.

Still, it is what it is, and providing we can get someone sorted out promptly, it's time to move on I suppose. Our rookie HC doesn't need to be wasting his time playing at being GM, when there's a team to get coached up. ;)

Arm of Harm
05-02-2017, 08:46 AM
You make some decent points, but there is one that I think is just plain wrong, and that relates to Gilmore. I don't think we were that bothered about keeping him, at all. Pretty much irrespective of any cap situation, you don't give 'man coverage' money, to a CB who is going to be playing 'zone coverage'. And Gilmore wanted his money. Tbh, I seriously doubt that the Gilmore decision, had anything at all to do with Whaley getting canned.

Back to the cap situation. It isn't ideal, but it also isn't that bad, and there is still room to restructure guys if absolutely necessary, (Dareus and Glenn) which could free up quite a bit of room. We are by no means in 'cap hell'. If they really wanted to keep Gilmore, they could have found the money, I'm sure, especially after the Taylor restructure, and if they had done something with Dareus and Glenn.

Now, you might be right, albeit perhaps for the wrong reasons, in that the cap situation is part of, or one of, the 'few areas we need to get better in', according to Pegula. I'm thinking about the previous year, when we didn't have enough room to put the 2nd level tender on Hogan, and then simply couldn't afford to match the Patsies offer. I think that one stung the Pegulas, especially with the struggles we ended up having at the WR position, and was followed up by not giving Gillislee the 2nd round tender either. Who once again goes to the Patsies, because we decided not to match their offer.

Now, the above is speculation, but it is based on facts, and added to a couple of other things, may have been the tipping point, although we simply don't know.

QB aside, I don't think Whaleys drafting has been that bad. At least a couple of the picks who aren't here any more, were turned into better players, Alonso for Shady, being the obvious example. I'd also say that some of the ups and downs of form, that have some of those picks being castigated, are probably more to do with coaching changes (hence scheme), than the ability of the players. While the jury is still out on a few guys, Whaley has only whiffed once in the 1st round with EJ, and once in the 2nd round, with Kouandjio, and he might still turn out to be okay, although recent events make that a lot less likely than it was 6 months ago.

We will almost certainly miss his staffs ability to find guys off the street, to come in and contribute, when the injury bug hits us this year, and it's those guys I wanted to be retained, as I think they've done nothing wrong, and a lot right.

Still, it is what it is, and providing we can get someone sorted out promptly, it's time to move on I suppose. Our rookie HC doesn't need to be wasting his time playing at being GM, when there's a team to get coached up. ;)

Good post, and good information about the Bills salary cap situation.

Gilmore was taken with the 10th overall pick. Any time the 10th overall pick goes first-contract-and-out, there's a problem. Letting your early picks walk after their first contracts is not how you build a winning football team. When a first round pick leaves after his first contract, the question is not whether to assign blame, but where.

In some cases, the player wasn't very good to begin with. In which case, you blame the GM who drafted him, for using a first round pick on someone who wasn't very good. But the New England Patriots, at least, do feel that Gilmore was a good player, or else they wouldn't have thrown all that money his way. It cannot be said that Nix drafted a bad football player in the form of Gilmore.

Your argument for not extending Gilmore is that the Bills would have to pay a premium for a man coverage CB, and that this premium is unnecessary because McDermott's defense is based on zone coverage. So we use a late first round pick on a CB, presumably hoping to get a guy who's good enough to be a solid starter in McDermott's zone coverage scheme, but not so good as to command the man coverage premium that Gilmore receives. Assuming you're correct, White will go first-contract-and-out if he's better than expected (thereby commanding a Gilmore-like premium), or worse than expected (such that he's not good enough to be a starter).

If the Bills had had plenty of extra salary cap space, re-signing Gilmore would have been an easy call. If your top 10 pick results in a good football player, as it did with Gilmore, you want to keep that good player over the long run. Letting guys like that go first-contract-and-out means you are not building through the draft. It means you are spinning your wheels. Since Bill Polian was fired, the Bills have used seven first round picks on DBs. Four went first-contract-and-out. One (Nate Clements) remained one extra year after his first contract was over. Of the remaining two, one was McKelvin, who remained with the team beyond his rookie contract only because he was not good enough to command a high salary on the free agent market. The other was Thomas Smith, who was here seven years. With the possible exception of Thomas Smith, none of our seven first round DBs have provided starter-quality play for any length of time for this team, after their rookie contracts had expired. That track record is disgusting, and is an important reason why the Bills have been playoff-free ever since the year 2000.

Bad cap management is an important part of the explanation as to why there's been so much churning at DB. TD allowed Antoine Winfield to go first-contract-and-out, so that he could squander what should have been Winfield's cap money on Troy Vincent and Lawyer Milloy. Likewise, the Bills chose to use their first round pick in this year's draft on a CB, in what was essentially a pick made for cap management purposes. (It's highly doubtful that White will be significantly better than Gilmore over the next few years, which means his one real advantage is that he's cheaper. That's a cap management draft pick, not an improving-a-position draft pick.) When first round picks are used for cap management, instead of for making the team better, that's typically a clear indication that someone (Whaley) has bungled the cap. It's not as though the Bills are bursting with so much player talent, that they cannot possibly be expected to retain all of it and still remain under the cap.

As for your comment that our rookie HC is "playing" at being GM: after the first few rounds I remember thinking we were having a much better draft than I would have expected from Whaley. That feeling was strengthened by the Peterman pick; which was the exact opposite of the type of QB I'd expect Whaley to choose. Peterman's physical tools are mediocre, but he seemingly makes up for that with accuracy and information processing. Also, acquiring an additional first round pick in next year's draft represents far-sighted thinking I don't associate with Whaley. I would argue that between McDermott and Whaley, it was Whaley who was "playing" at being GM. I for one am very happy Whaley's playtime is now over.

Arm of Harm
05-02-2017, 09:32 AM
It's too late for me to edit my earlier post, so I'll just add that White represents the eighth time since the Polian firing that the Bills have used a first round pick on a DB. As with any first round Bills CB, the big question with him is not whether he'll become a good player, so much as whether he'll get extended beyond his rookie contract.

SpikedLemonade
05-02-2017, 10:32 AM
It's too late for me to edit my earlier post, so I'll just add that White represents the eighth time since the Polian firing that the Bills have used a first round pick on a DB. As with any first round Bills CB, the big question with him is not whether he'll become a good player, so much as whether he'll get extended beyond his rookie contract.

An embarrassment when you consider there are two CBs on the field normally whereas there are 5 OLs on the field always.

feldspar
05-02-2017, 10:45 AM
An embarrassment when you consider there are two CBs on the field normally whereas there are 5 OLs on the field always.

He said DBs, not CBs.

And did you forget about who is going to cover the slot receiver. I'd say there are FIVE DBs out there on most plays, and even more if the opposing defense is going with a spread formation. That's almost half your defense, and you also need depth there.

DBs are Impotant to have. Green Bay's downfall last year was not having them.

swiper
05-02-2017, 11:04 AM
He said DBs, not CBs.

Not every DB has ED. But it is documented that CBs do get that more than safeties.

feldspar
05-02-2017, 11:24 AM
Not every DB has ED. But it is documented that CBs do get that more than safeties.

Is this supposed to make sense to me?

What's ED? Start there.

swiper
05-02-2017, 12:11 PM
Is this supposed to make sense to me?

What's ED? Start there.

Impotance = erectile dysfunction.

It was a friendly poke at your typo.

feldspar
05-02-2017, 12:18 PM
Impotance = erectile dysfunction.

It was a friendly poke at your typo.

Well, it's nice to know you can be friendly.

But if you want to give me a poke, I hope YOU have ED. ;)

Also, what typo? Don't see it.

feldspar
05-02-2017, 12:33 PM
Well, it's nice to know you can be friendly.

But if you want to give me a poke, I hope YOU have ED. ;)

Also, what typo? Don't see it.

Never mind.

I see it now.

DBs are impotent to have.

That's actually a good one!

SpikedLemonade
05-02-2017, 12:54 PM
Impotent CBs -- NO wonder our D cannot stand firm.

Arm of Harm
05-04-2017, 12:26 PM
He said DBs, not CBs.

And did you forget about who is going to cover the slot receiver. I'd say there are FIVE DBs out there on most plays, and even more if the opposing defense is going with a spread formation. That's almost half your defense, and you also need depth there.

True. The Bills have used eight first round picks on DBs since Polian's firing. Of those, seven were CBs, one was Donte Whitner.

As for the importance of DBs, there are two perfectly acceptable philosophies regarding them.

a) Decide DBs are important. It's perfectly acceptable to use a first round pick on a DB, if the DB is the best player available. But if that DB turns into a good football player, you extend him to well beyond his rookie contract.

b) Decide DBs are comparatively unimportant. It's unacceptable to use a first round pick on a DB. If one of your DBs turns into a star, you let him walk to save on salary cap space.

It's perfectly fine for a team to adopt either a) or b). What is completely unacceptable is for a team bereft of core talent to mix and match elements of the two. For a team to say, "On draft day, DBs are very important! We will use more first round picks on DBs than on any other position except RB!" But then for that same team to also say, "DBs are not important enough to deserve big contracts. Should one of our DBs turn into a very good football player, the one option we will consider is letting that DB go first-contract-and-out." If DBs are considered important on draft day, they should also be considered at least as important when contract renewals are being negotiated. And if they're considered unimportant at contract renewal time, they should not be considered worthy of first round picks on draft day. Pick one or the other, I don't much care which. Just stop burning first round picks on first-contract-and-out!

JoeMama
05-04-2017, 02:56 PM
My reaction to Whaley's dismissal.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/roRQ2mNwMMQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>