PDA

View Full Version : My Draft Do Over...

YardRat
04-30-2017, 10:57 AM
Just to preface, this is NOT a 'the Bills suck, the players they drafted suck, this is what a smart front office would have done thread'. I like what the Bills did this weekend. Loved the trade down. Liked them addressing real needs at CB, WR and RT with players that should start right away (White and Dawkins are solid, Jones has the potential to be a real difference-maker). On board with picking a QB. The ST LBers? Meh...late picks are what they are, no real need to criticize day 3 choices.

However, I have to admit that after the trade with KC was consummated, my philosophical approach to the rest of the draft would probably have been very different. I would have hung on to the extra picks and let the draft come to me (considering the wealth of talent available at positions of need for me) instead of targeting one or two specific players and aggressively pursuing them by giving up additional assets (but I do give them credit for going after the guys they believed very strongly about). With that in mind, here's a look at probably how my draft list would have ended up if I were calling the shots at OBD...

1-27-OT Ryan Ramczyk--top olineman still available, wouldn't pass him up.
2-44-CB Quincy Jones--my rookie starter on the outside. (Between QJ and Cunningham, need CB more, hope Cunningham falls to me in third)
3-75-WR Chris Godwin--my rookie starter at wide out (I left White, Jones and Dawkins going off the board in the same spots, not speculating on any dropping)
3-91-(from KC trade)--DE/OLB Carl Lawson--my edge depth.
5-156-CB Nate Hairston--depth and ST's. (wanted TE Sprinkle, but he went a few picks prior)
5-163-OG Isaac Asiata--competition for RG, eventual replacement for Incognito hopefully.
5-171-QB Chad Kelly--Still like him as a better prospect than any other QB, especially in this range.
6-195-S Jadar Johnson--not a fan of tweeners like Vallejo, etc...give me a position guy that can be plugged in to ST's. (would have preferred X.Woods, but Dallas poached him at 191)

SpikedLemonade
04-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Other than the drafting of Chad Kelly, I like it.

Then again Zay was a great pick.

streetkings01
04-30-2017, 12:11 PM
Chad Kelly was 1 pick away from being a rookie free agent and you wanted to spend a 5th on him?!?!

Skooby
04-30-2017, 01:33 PM
Jimbo sold Chad Kelly to Elway with a "he's a good kid" line & rolled us.

kgun12
04-30-2017, 02:28 PM
This was my post in an earlier thread about who we would draft at 10:

My pick is trade back for

Round 1:
Ryan Ramczyk OT Wisconsin. Wisconsin offensive linemen are pug and play.

Round 2:
Marcus Williams S Utah and with our second pick in the second round because of the trade back
Round 2b: Chris Godwin WR Penn St.

YardRat
04-30-2017, 03:02 PM
Chad Kelly was 1 pick away from being a rookie free agent and you wanted to spend a 5th on him?!?!

Nobody would have known that for sure when the fifth round was running live. Yes, I would have spent a fifth on him.

YardRat
04-30-2017, 03:04 PM

I believe when Buffalo went with Peterman, Uncle Jimbo got on the phone. I don't blame him, either.

feldspar
04-30-2017, 03:37 PM

Yeah, I'm sure Elway went off Jim's word solely on this, right?

Good thing Jim didn't say "well, my nephew is a punk, and whatever you do, don't draft him."

I figure this was a courtesy call more than anything, and my sources have confirmed it.

Mace
04-30-2017, 04:43 PM
What I likely would have done.

1-27- LB Zach Cunningham - Wouldn't have pushed my luck.
2-44- CB Chidobe Awuzie - Liked him here.
3-75- WR Kenny Golladay - With three receiver coaches available to tune him, at 6'4" 218 with speed.
3-91-(from KC trade)-- TE Jonnu Smith - a "move" TE who can block.
5-156- QB Nathan Peterman - Wouldn't have pushed my luck.
5-163- S Xavier Woods - Wouldn't have pushed my luck.
5-171- OT Sam Tevi - Like him here.
6-195- DT DJ Jones - An NT type ? Yes, an athletic one besides. Think Kevin/Pat Williams combo with Kyle for Dareus next suspension.

TacklingDummy
04-30-2017, 10:27 PM
1) David Nojku TE
2) Deshone Kizer QB
3) Davis Webb QB
3) CJ BEatnard QB
5) Nathan Peterman QB
5) Brad Kayaa QB
5) Chad Kelly QB