PDA

View Full Version : Will There Be A Competition For The Bills Starting Quarterback In 2017?

BillsImpossible
04-30-2017, 03:35 PM
The Bills recently signed Tyrod Taylor to a modest contract for a starting QB in the NFL.

Taylor is projected to be the Bills starting QB, but the way things are going over at OBD makes me think a quarterback competition is in the works.

The signing of T.J. Yates has absolutely nothing to do with having a competition for the starting QB.

http://www.nfl.com/player/t.j.yates/2508123/gamelogs?season=2016

I think the Bills signed him strictly to help Tryrod Taylor, Cardale Jones, and Nathan Peterman learn Dennison's offense.

Jones vs. Peterman should be interesting to watch in camp. They will battle it out for the backup QB position.

Whoever loses goes to the practice squad. Yates will get cut.

It's very likely that the Bills will carry only 2 QB's on their roster, and 1 on the practice squad.

Cardale Jones or Nathan Peterman could become the Bills starting QB at any time next year if Tyrod Taylor goes down with an injury.

But what if Jones or Peterman outplays Tyrod Taylor in training camp and the preseason?

If so, let the QB controversy begin.

Manwiththeplan
04-30-2017, 03:44 PM
i dont think there will be an open competition for starting qb. I think Tyrod just has to continue to perform better in camp than everyone else. Last we seen of Jones he was probably worse than Manual and Peterson has a lot
to learn still coming into the NFL.

Night Train
04-30-2017, 03:46 PM
Coach speak Already posted earlier.

BillsImpossible
04-30-2017, 04:44 PM
i dont think there will be an open competition for starting qb. I think Tyrod just has to continue to perform better in camp than everyone else. Last we seen of Jones he was probably worse than Manual and Peterson has a lot to learn still coming into the NFL.

How was Cardale Jones worse than EJ Manuel?

Manuel started that last game against the Jets in Week 17 last year for 3 quarters.

He sucked.

Cardale Jones outperformed Manuel's play in less than 15 minutes at the most inopportune time any rookie QB could ever face.

Maybe that is why EJ Manuel is no longer a Buffalo Bill.

It's Cardale Jones vs. Tyrod Taylor for the QB competition.

Most people right now don't think there's any competition, but there's going to be a competition.

YardRat
04-30-2017, 06:22 PM
No.

WagonCircler
04-30-2017, 07:00 PM
It's Cardale Jones vs. Tyrod Taylor for the QB competition..

You're out of your mind.

Cardale will be given a boxed lunch and a bus ticket.

He won't be a member of this organization on opening day.

class_of_2012
04-30-2017, 07:55 PM
Jones vs. Peterman should be interesting to watch in camp. They will battle it out for the backup QB position.

Whoever loses goes to the practice squad. Yates will get cut.

It's very likely that the Bills will carry only 2 QB's on their roster, and 1 on the practice squad.

Cardale Jones or Nathan Peterman could become the Bills starting QB at any time next year if Tyrod Taylor goes down with an injury.

But what if Jones or Peterman outplays Tyrod Taylor in training camp and the preseason?

You do realize that in order to be placed on the PS, the player must go through waivers. And if one goes on the PS, any other team can still poach them.

YardRat
04-30-2017, 08:00 PM
In both cases, however, the team that claims the player has to put them on the regular roster...they can't be claimed/poached for another practice squad.

Manwiththeplan
05-01-2017, 12:00 AM
How was Cardale Jones worse than EJ Manuel?

Manuel started that last game against the Jets in Week 17 last year for 3 quarters.

He sucked.

Cardale Jones outperformed Manuel's play in less than 15 minutes at the most inopportune time any rookie QB could ever face.

Maybe that is why EJ Manuel is no longer a Buffalo Bill.

It's Cardale Jones vs. Tyrod Taylor for the QB competition.

Most people right now don't think there's any competition, but there's going to be a competition.

E.J did suck that game. but Cardale wasnt much better...he threw for 96 yards but 65 of that came off a busted play. 55 percent completion percentage. thats worse than what ej averaged when he started.
i still dont think there will be an open competition...or that Cardale has a chance to win..but if it did happen...im surely not going to complain.

feldspar
05-01-2017, 12:33 AM
Cardale Jones is hot garbage and a waste of time IMO. The people responsible for drafting him are no longer here, so nobody's ego or reputation is at stake for him to remain. I figure him gone. If the heavens align, MAYBE he'd develop enough to be a marginal backup over time, but I don't think so. If we put him on the practice squad, teams wouldn't be standing in line to claim him at all...but I'm not sure even THAT is worth it. Just my opinion.

I figure TJ Yates stays as the primary backup this year, at least going in. That guy is making relative peanuts, and he has been around a bit and has some experience. He'll be a stop-gap backup, if you will, I think.

I feel Peterman has the most upside to stick around for a while, at least in backup capacity. Maybe more...who knows? Lots of so-called experts have said that they think he is the most pro-ready QB in this draft. If Tyrod gets hurt (or whatever) and Yates drops the ball (or whatever), Peterman is the guy. Peterman would never survive staying on the Bills practice squad, unlike Cardale, so that's out of the question.

No way in hell Tyrod Taylor isn't the starter next year unless he gets hurt. Jones sucks, Yates is ridiculous to ever be considered a starter, and Peterman is an unknown and would be better served to sit and learn.

Skooby
05-01-2017, 01:52 AM
Bills don't have a starting QB until 2018 is what I'm hearing.

feldspar
05-01-2017, 02:12 AM
Bills don't have a starting QB until 2018 is what I'm hearing.

You're kidding, right?

Please tell me you're kidding...

Ingtar33
05-01-2017, 02:14 AM
anyone who thinks peterman or jones has a chance to take the starter's job from TT is just deluding themselves.

I'm not saying neither of them EVER will be a better QB, I'm just saying neither of them are in his class AT THIS TIME. The most interesting competition will be for no.2 QB.

jamze132
05-01-2017, 04:52 AM
IMO, knowing how this team has operated the last couple of years, Tyrod has to light the world on fire or he's out after this season. He should be the starter this year and probably next before Peterman gets his chance to unseat him. Let Yates back Tyrod up and leave it alone. So many cryptic messages come from OBD these days only to have the opposite happen shortly thereafter.

Buddo
05-01-2017, 05:03 AM
anyone who thinks peterman or jones has a chance to take the starter's job from TT is just deluding themselves.

I'm not saying neither of them EVER will be a better QB, I'm just saying neither of them are in his class AT THIS TIME. The most interesting competition will be for no.2 QB.

Jones really needs to put in the work, if he's going to stick on the roster, imho. They might just be able to get away with sticking him on the PS. Peterman is a guy who is very likely to become the backup QB of the future, and I seriously doubt they would risk leaving him on the PS. Unless something remarkable happens, we will go into the season with Taylor, Yates and Peterman, in that order, with Jones likely cut or stashed on the PS.

If there is a plan going forward, it will likely be Taylor, Peterman and rookie QB in 2018, with rookie taking over in 2019, if they draft one high next year.

In the meantime, Taylor still as an opportunity to show he can improve. It was noticeable that with Lynn as HC, he had one of his best performances against the 'Fins, when it seemed they opened up the playbook some. He's never going to be a 'classic' drop back QB, but he can increase how effective he is. It will be interesting to see what Dennison does with him offensively.

YardRat
05-01-2017, 05:09 AM
IMO McDermott views TT as C Newton-Lite.

poplarbluffman
05-01-2017, 05:26 AM
both Cardale and Peterman have higher upside then Taylor...expect Jones to become the starter in time Tyrod Taylor is best as a #2 qb IMO

YardRat
05-01-2017, 05:59 AM
Welcome poplar :beers:

Forward_Lateral
05-01-2017, 06:19 AM
There's not a chance Peterman goes on the practice squad. I doubt Cardale would make it through waivers either.

Skooby
05-01-2017, 06:41 AM
There's not a chance Peterman goes on the practice squad. I doubt Cardale would make it through waivers either.
No chance whatsoever, Peterman also has a chance to actually start in the NFL & have success. Let's see how camp goes and give everyone a look. Romo looked like a mortal lock health willing and Dak is better.

DraftBoy
05-01-2017, 06:44 AM
No.

Bingo.

Jimkelly12203
05-01-2017, 09:16 AM
If there was going to be a competition, we would have simply opted out on Tyrod rather than renegotiating with him.